Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

RizieN posted:

Ugh... I was stoked I just read about that, because my wife loved Ghost in the Shell (the only other anime being Bebop) and I think she'd love this... But I really can't stand dubbed movies. e; unless the american's are really really good, but most of the time they're not.
The dub on this one was very good, I thought. They got decent voice actors too.

And Network is awesome, it's like a minor version of 1984 that came true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Suicide Pacmen posted:

Starship Troopers 3 is on streaming.

Would you like to know more? (is it worth watching if I loved the first)

This movie is pretty decent, though nowhere near as good as the first one. The one you don't really need to watch is the second one, which despite being a Starship Troopers movie they only really fight bugs in the first 5 minutes and then maybe at the end (I forget)

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This movie is pretty decent, though nowhere near as good as the first one. The one you don't really need to watch is the second one, which despite being a Starship Troopers movie they only really fight bugs in the first 5 minutes and then maybe at the end (I forget)

Not to mention the nudity out of nowhere scene just like in the first movie.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Starship troopers 3 is pure garbage but it's hilarious to watch, simply for how dumb it is.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Instantwatcher adds The Unearthly to the MST3k list. Fortunately, the ones that don't run out on May 15th are (allegedly) good until 2036. Now that's optimism for you. :v:

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Animal-Mother posted:

The Howard Beale character from Network is the complete opposite of the talking heads from today's right wing news/commentary shows. Beale's a guy who stops giving a gently caress about the bullshit. Beck and O'Reilly embrace the bullshit and make their living with it.

Yeah when I finally got around to watching it I was surprised at how farcical it was. Network doesn't look like Fox News, it looks like a precursor to Running Man. Howard Beale was the exhibition of a passionate lunatic who wasn't in on the joke.

How can someone watch Ned Beatty's sermon and think "oh my god they predicted cable news"? Network isn't prescient, it's network politics as biblical epic. It's a farce! It's also really good.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tewratomeh posted:

Yeah, Glenn Beck is basically a living parody of the Howard Beale character. It's like he watched Network and completely missed the point, adopting the "Truthsayer" persona without upholding any of the principles behind it. Glenn Beck is Howard Beale after he gets that speech about capitalism from Arthur Jensen. Only Glenn Beck actually believes in everything Jensen says.

He has stated in interviews that he bases his television persona on Howard Beale. I'd imagine he missed most of the rest of the movie, even if he saw it:

http://hotair.com/archives/2009/03/23/video-glenn-beck-responds-to-bill-maher-compares-himself-to-howard-beale/

Radical Polio
Nov 8, 2007

Creatively Bankrupt
(*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*)
For some reason I never watched Lost while it was on TV. So knowing how well received it was, I'm now hooked, I'm at S1E20 and am really afraid that with 6 seasons with 24~ episodes each, it won't hold up. My friend told me he got sick of it after about the 3rd season or so. Is this a common feeling among fans of the show? Of course this is subjective. What do you guys think?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

dayze posted:

For some reason I never watched Lost while it was on TV. So knowing how well received it was, I'm now hooked, I'm at S1E20 and am really afraid that with 6 seasons with 24~ episodes each, it won't hold up. My friend told me he got sick of it after about the 3rd season or so. Is this a common feeling among fans of the show? Of course this is subjective. What do you guys think?

The 3rd season is indeed pretty awful. Fortunately, it picks up again in a big way in the 4th season and ranges from good to great for the rest of the run right up until its disappointing and stupid ending (that said, even the last episode is a lot of fun right until the monumentally stupid last scene).

Basically there is the occasional weak episode, a lot of plotlines that never end up amounting to anything, and it all falls apart in the end, but it's still so much fun that it's worth it.

Just be prepared for the 3rd season to be really boring and pointless.

Radical Polio
Nov 8, 2007

Creatively Bankrupt
(*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*)

maxnmona posted:

The 3rd season is indeed pretty awful. Fortunately, it picks up again in a big way in the 4th season and ranges from good to great for the rest of the run right up until its disappointing and stupid ending (that said, even the last episode is a lot of fun right until the monumentally stupid last scene).

Basically there is the occasional weak episode, a lot of plotlines that never end up amounting to anything, and it all fall apart in the end, but its still so much fun that it's worth it.

Just be prepared for the 3rd season to be really boring and pointless.

Is is so boring and pointless that I can skip it, or is there some sort of small thing that happens in a random episode that I'll miss out on? 24 episodes is a lot of time at 43~ minutes each.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

dayze posted:

Is is so boring and pointless that I can skip it, or is there some sort of small thing that happens in a random episode that I'll miss out on? 24 episodes is a lot of time at 43~ minutes each.

The writers have said that in season 3 (and possibly 2 & 4) they had no idea how long the show would go on for, so they wrote nothing but circular and dead-end plots for minor characters to kill time, while only slightly advancing the main narrative. Once they knew there would be 7 seasons (I think halfway through filming season 4), they finally started writing with an ending in mind.

It's been a while since I've seen it, but Season 4 starts out identically to Season 3, except an extra 3-4 minor background characters are dead and never referred to again.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 5, 2012

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

dayze posted:

Unfortunately, they scatter important plot points throughout the long boring flashbacks and endless bickering. If any episode seems especially pointless, you could always just head over here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Lost_episodes and read a summary.

It's not all terrible. "The Cost of Living" and "Flashes Before Your Eyes" are both great. And the last few episodes building up to the big ending of the season are very memorable.

And then there's "Stranger in a Strange Land", an episode so terrible that it single-handedly convinced ABC to give the show an end date so they could resume the main story and stop stalling and keeping all the characters in a holding pattern.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

red19fire posted:

It's been a while since I've seen it, but Season 4 starts out identically to Season 3, except an extra 3-4 minor background characters are dead and never referred to again.

That's not true at all. There are a number of things that happen in the 3rd season that are very important to the main show arc. Most importantly, the introduction of flashfowards and time travel which becomes the main plot of the show for the rest of the series.

edit: I just looked over a plot summary of season 3 because I don't remember it that well, and I realized I had completely forgotten about all those loving episodes that took place in those stupid cages. I think I repressed the memory because it was too much to admit that I had wasted a few hours of my life on something so boring.

maxnmona fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 6, 2012

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

TychoCelchuuu posted:

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three: A fun, tense thriller. Walter Matthau makes everything good. My favorite part of this movie is how much effort it puts into setting up a joke.

Everyone watch this movie. It's very well-made, with tight pacing and great acting. Plus it's got that "city as a character" vibe that lots of New York movies have. It's definitely worth your time.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
This is the first time I've ever seen someone suggest skipping an entire season of Lost. The show is confusing enough as it is!

BIZORT
Jan 24, 2003

This is the first time I've ever seen someone suggest skipping an entire season of Lost. The show is confusing enough as it is!

The cage episodes are when I stopped watching Lost and never picked it back up so it's probably warranted.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."

Honestly while the first two season can and should be watched for enjoyment's sake, the rest of the series works better as a study of narrative pitfalls and the concessions required when making network television.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

McNutty posted:

Honestly while the first two season can and should be watched for enjoyment's sake, the rest of the series works better as a study of narrative pitfalls and the concessions required when making network television.

It sort of goes from a interesting survival type series into Twilight Zone crazy land. Except not being as good and coherent as the Twilight Zone.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

McNutty posted:

I think the whole series is a lot of fun, except the 3rd season.

HypnoCabbage
Oct 26, 2007
Cheap as hell since 1971.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Everyone watch this movie. It's very well-made, with tight pacing and great acting. Plus it's got that "city as a character" vibe that lots of New York movies have. It's definitely worth your time.

And it doesn't have any of the weaknesses of the modern remake either, so it's the superior version of the story to boot.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Aaaah you fuckers are going to make me rewatch Lost start to finish again. I hate you all.

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you, I love you,
I love you, I love you
Night Man
Instead of watching a bad show like "Lost", watch or re-watch "Breaking Bad".:science:

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

the_Vandal posted:

Instead of watching a bad show like "Lost", watch or re-watch "Breaking Bad".:science:

Last time I checked, Breaking Bad only had the first three seasons up, not the fourth season. Ergo, I cannot watch the show any further. :colbert:

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you
Night Man

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Last time I checked, Breaking Bad only had the first three seasons up, not the fourth season. Ergo, I cannot watch the show any further. :colbert:
Then do whatever you can to get season 4. Melt a guy in a bathtub if you have to, I don't care. Then wait impatiently for season 5 and wish you had just waited until it was over so you could watch it all in one go. That's what I did. :(

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You could watch Terriers. That's a good one.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

dayze posted:

Start watching and see what you think when you can watch it all at once. A lot of the reason I found the third season disappointing is that it was aired in a really hosed-up way where they aired the first 8 or so episodes in the Fall and held the rest until the Spring. It really distorted the arc of the narrative and emphasized a bunch of poo poo that wasn't really important or consistent over the season.

There's a really strong Hurley episode that I remember, and a really funny one about the background characters that kind of takes the piss out of some of the show. And there's one that's mostly about Ben that I really liked. And the last three are really stellar but build upon themes and plot threads that grow out of the last half of the season. If you can power through the first ten I think they're about as good as season 2.

And after that, the seasons are half-length and plotted pretty tightly. The final episode gets a bad rep but just try it with an open mind and see what you think. I think I only reacted strongly because of all the hype and pressure--the conclusion of the show works really nicely as commentary on the show and the phenomenon of the show being really popular and discussed, which sounds really pretentious and I kind of hate myself for saying it. But it's fun and very well-made and the acting is top-notch even when the writing gets iffy.

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you
Night Man

TychoCelchuuu posted:

You could watch Terriers. That's a good one.

This was also a good show I only discovered because of Netflix. I had just assumed it was a comedy about yappy little dogs because of its terrible advertising. Too bad it only got one season, but at least it didn't end on a cliff-hanger. :unsmith:

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Tewratomeh posted:

What in the gently caress is going on with the people who maintain that site?

Something like "A DURR HURR BLUUR THBBBTT", I assume.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the_Vandal posted:

This was also a good show I only discovered because of Netflix. I had just assumed it was a comedy about yappy little dogs because of its terrible advertising. Too bad it only got one season, but at least it didn't end on a cliff-hanger. :unsmith:

It was a really good show with cast chemistry that pretty much died due to ineffective advertising all the way down to a bad show name.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I can't believe there are people who just skip seasons of television shows sight-unseen just because the internet told them to :psyduck:

Knightmare posted:

Aaaah you fuckers are going to make me rewatch Lost start to finish again. I hate you all.

If you feel like doing a re-watch you could track down Chronologically Lost. It's where a guy re-edited everything into chronological order, it's kind of rough and makes zero sense if you haven't already seen the show but it's a decent enough way to shake up a re-watch.

Plus the final result ends up being ridiculously shorter (100 episodes vs. 121 episodes) just by virtue of getting rid of all the recaps and repeated scenes and smooshing a few of them together.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
I watched Lost as it aired starting somewhere in the first season. Yes the third season is a bit rocky and they begin storylines that go nowhere, but it also has some badass episodes.

That being said I have no desire to rewatch Lost.

Radical Polio
Nov 8, 2007

Creatively Bankrupt
(*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*)

Farbtoner posted:

I can't believe there are people who just skip seasons of television shows sight-unseen just because the internet told them to :psyduck:

If you feel like doing a re-watch you could track down Chronologically Lost. It's where a guy re-edited everything into chronological order, it's kind of rough and makes zero sense if you haven't already seen the show but it's a decent enough way to shake up a re-watch.

Plus the final result ends up being ridiculously shorter (100 episodes vs. 121 episodes) just by virtue of getting rid of all the recaps and repeated scenes and smooshing a few of them together.

I'm not going to skip it, I just wanted to confirm if it really was a collective opinion regarding the quality of the season. I'll PRESS on for ENTERTAINMENT.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
I'll be the dissenting opinion that says when Lost was over I kinda wished I had never started it in the first place.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

dayze posted:

You're not even out of season one yet, decide for yourself whether you like it or not. I've watched the whole series twice, and don't have the same issues as some of these other fine gentlemen.

And if you get tired of it, there's always Twilight Zone!

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

The frustrating thing about the last scene of Lost, is that the island part of it is perfect. The exact reverse of the opening scene was a really good idea and well-executed, but it was intercut with some of the silliest crap a major network show has ever done.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Internet cynicism notwithstanding, I watched the last season at a local theater, and the fans ate it up. I never thought I'd see that many people crying over a TV show.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

fenix down posted:

Internet cynicism notwithstanding, I watched the last season at a local theater, and the fans ate it up. I never thought I'd see that many people crying over a TV show.

I saw the last episode in a big public place too, and after it ended I did not see that reaction at all. Everyone was really quiet and just seemed a little stunned about what had happened.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
As I see it it is because the moments are emotionally hollow and interact poorly with promises the show runners made years earlier. The second part has no bearing on whether the final scenes work from a critical standpoint, a work should stand on its own merits, but certainly impacted the viewing audience as they first saw it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Farbtoner posted:

I also don't really see the point when you are watching seasons at a time on Netflix. It's not like you sit through 8 months of a show and are disappointed. You fly through a season in a few days or a week. And if a particular episode sucks, just skip it and watch the previouslies on the next one, or read an episode summary for a few minutes.

Given that, I did skip over the flashbacks on some of those episodes, because they are so "who cares!!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
As the last person in the world to get around to watching The X-Files, I have to say I'm surprised at how young the two leads were when the series started. I always had this image of my head of the two of them looking really distinguished, but Gillian Anderson in-particular looks like a kid in the pilot.

It turns out it's because she was about 25 in the first season. David Duchovny was older, but he's David Duchovny. Dude still looks like he's in his 30's.

• Locked thread