Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

GrAviTy84 posted:

egg? bread crumb? These things do not belong in kebab. Ground chicken also does not belong in kebab. Start with Chicken chunks. If you want to make ground lamb kebabs you need to beat/knead the hell out of the ground lamb. This causes the meat fibers to intertwine and tangle causing the ground meat to act as less of a crumble and more of a cohesive unit. Again, no egg, no breadcrumb. Just spices like garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander seed, fenugreek, etc.

Total truth. I ran my lamb through the grinder twice on the fine plates, first plain and then with the herbs and spices mixed in, and it held together beautifully.

All the best chicken kebabs I've ever had were marinated chunks of breast or thigh that were what my friend calls "okay size" - about the size of the space between your thumb and forefinger when you make the a-ok sign. Slightly bigger than bite size, not quite big enough to warrant cutting before eating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

moms pubis posted:

Sorry, I'm in the midwestern United States. Apart from the standard American supermarkets like Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market and its ilk, we have a couple of health food stores and an Asian supermarket.

Any eastern european stores? If you got one Pole in the area you probably have three Polish goods stores.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

GrAviTy84 posted:

If you want to make ground lamb kebabs you need to beat/knead the hell out of the ground lamb. This causes the meat fibers to intertwine and tangle causing the ground meat to act as less of a crumble and more of a cohesive unit.

Today I learned that lamb and wool behave the same. :psyduck:

What other parts of a sheep do this?

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
If I want to bake a quick bread recipe as muffins, what changes if any should I make with the oven temp and time? I'm assuming I'll cook them for a shorter period of time, but should the oven temperature change?

Also I bought some kohlrabi at the farmers' market. I've never had kohlrabi, what should I do with it?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

My oven broke and I have a freezer full of bone-in chicken thighs. I don't have a grill either. How can I cook these things on a stove top?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Adobo that poo poo. Basic recipe, equal parts vinegar/soy sauce, couple bay leaves, some garlic. Simmer the chicken in that until it's about to fall apart, serve with some of the sauce, rice, and a bunch of green onion.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Or in a pot with lots of onions, paprika, some chicken stock, thyme, sour cream to finish. Serve with potatoes. Or make chicken stew or chowder. Or fry them up American or Japanese or Korean style (if American serve with waffles). Or make a nice curry. Or anything. Actually I never use a grill or oven to cook chicken unless I'm roasting a whole chicken. Use the stovetop for everything with chicken.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Randomity posted:

If I want to bake a quick bread recipe as muffins, what changes if any should I make with the oven temp and time? I'm assuming I'll cook them for a shorter period of time, but should the oven temperature change?

I leave the temperature the same (350) but cut the cooking time to 20-30 min or 10-15ish for mini muffins.

If a knife comes out clean you're good to go.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Another way to think of this is that the chemical reactions you want to get it from dough to food will need the same temperature to happen correctly whether it's mini-muffins or a sheet cake in a 9x18 pan. On the other hand, the time that it takes for the center to heat up enough to undergo these reactions is your cook time, and that will vary based on the volume.

The balancing act is to try to get the center to where you want it before the edges have progressed too far (ie burnt, tough, or dried out). This is why changing the pan size or shape can really affect the way a baking recipe turns out (by changing how long it takes for heat to get to the center), and why, if you double a recipe, the easiest way to pan it is to use two of the original pans; you'll probably run into trouble with, for example, one pan that's double the volume.

This is also why (unless you have a specific reason) you will get best results with just a single pan in the oven at a time, in the middle of the oven, because the incoming heat will be striking from all sides as equally as you can manage. When two pans are side-by-side, the side closest to the other pan will cook the least, because that other pan is absorbing heat instead of radiating it like the rest of the oven, and vice versa. Also, there will be twice as much heat-sinking material introduced when they go into the oven, so everything will happen slower.

moms pubis
Jul 9, 2011

by T. Mascis

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Neptune.

Really, look for stuff that's imported from the North Countries. Just buy a bunch and experiement - it's not like you can have too much pickled fish around.

That may be the best you can do in the Midwest.

Of course, if you can find it, there's a lot of what you'd call "boutique" canneries operating on the west and east coasts making really good stuff, all perfectly worth trying, but there's no way of telling if it's available in Des Moines.

Thanks, I'll see if I can find Netpune around here. Failing all else I'll see about some of those boutique canneries, but I'm trying not to spend a whole lot of money.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Randomity posted:

Also I bought some kohlrabi at the farmers' market. I've never had kohlrabi, what should I do with it?

Kohlrabi kind of tastes like the best part of broccoli with a little turnip tossed in. Last time I made it I chunked it up, boiled it in salted water until soft, then pureed it with a knob of butter and a healthy pinch of salt. Was smooth and delicious.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Yesterday I went to a french-cambodian restaurant. I had something called crevettes amrita. It was some kinda sweet curry—to quote, "Natural shrimp sautéed in a lightly sweet and spicy Cambodian satay sauce with coriander, cumin, cardamom, galangal, cinnamon, ginger, peanuts, star anise and lemongrass; with button mushroom, red bell pepper, onion and scallion". I thought it was pretty good but can't find recipes online. Anyone know of a similar dish?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
It has been a while since I took Chem... Wife left a stainless utensil in a solution of bar keepers friend (oxalic acid) overnight and now it has some sweet patterns and staining on it. Is there anything I can do to restore it?

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Why do I have to cook ice cream base? Is there any reason why I can't just put milk, cream, sugar, and vanilla into my ice-cream maker?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

There's no reason at all why not. You only cook it if you want to incorporate eggs for a richer frozen custard-type ice cream. Just remember to mix your dairy and sugar together well and then get it as cold as possible before you put it in your ice cream maker.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

pr0k posted:

Why do I have to cook ice cream base? Is there any reason why I can't just put milk, cream, sugar, and vanilla into my ice-cream maker?

That's what I do. gently caress eggs.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

pr0k posted:

Ice cream that's made without cooking first is usually called "Philadelphia style," so if you're looking for recipes online or whatever you should search for that.

And yeah, gently caress eggs. Custard style ice cream is delicious, but if I'm making ice cream at home I just go for dairy plus sugar plus flavor. I like to make mine with fresh fruit.

Harold Ramis Drugs
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I just bought some vital wheat gluten for making Seitan. I'm curious though if it can be added to other foods to increase the protein content. I'm lazy, so I'd prefer adding it in it's powdered form.

For example, what would happen if I just stirred in 1/4 cup with rice in a rice cooker and cooked it normally?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Ice cream made without eggs can get icy really fast if it hangs around in the freezer for too long.
Usually homemade ice cream never makes it to that point though:btroll:

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:

Harold Ramis Drugs posted:

I just bought some vital wheat gluten for making Seitan. I'm curious though if it can be added to other foods to increase the protein content. I'm lazy, so I'd prefer adding it in it's powdered form.

For example, what would happen if I just stirred in 1/4 cup with rice in a rice cooker and cooked it normally?

I've never even thought of doing that. Try it and report back I guess. What's the worst that could happen?

Harold Ramis Drugs
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Ok, and on that topic what are you supposed to eat Seitan with? I know you can stir fry it, but how else can you eat the stuff?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Hey guys, I need an opinion on Cazadores tequila. It's a family favorite and a cheaper alternative to the more expensive stuff, but given how my palette consists of Patron and El Jimador, I feel like I'm missing something. Also, any recommendations for good, inexpensive tequila?

Oh and I move there be a dedicated tequila thread on GWS. I would, but I have neither the knowledge nor resources to research tequila to do it justice.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

Thumposaurus posted:

Ice cream made without eggs can get icy really fast if it hangs around in the freezer for too long.
Usually homemade ice cream never makes it to that point though:btroll:

Yeah - seriously, don't store it too long in the freezer, but that is not because of the missing eggs (egg based ice creams will get grainy fast in the freeser too), but because of the missing stabilizer.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Benny the Snake posted:

Hey guys, I need an opinion on Cazadores tequila. It's a family favorite and a cheaper alternative to the more expensive stuff, but given how my palette consists of Patron and El Jimador, I feel like I'm missing something. Also, any recommendations for good, inexpensive tequila?

Oh and I move there be a dedicated tequila thread on GWS. I would, but I have neither the knowledge nor resources to research tequila to do it justice.

Cazadores Repo is a very good tequila for the price, it's almost the only thing I use for margaritas. Cazadores Anejo is good for sipping and even better for margaritas.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Can someone recommend a good blender at the $40-50 price point?

Otm Shank
Mar 5, 2005
Mir raucht den Kopf!!!

Harold Ramis Drugs posted:

The texture will likely be awful due to protein gelation :science:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Schiavona posted:

Can someone recommend a good blender at the $40-50 price point?

For $50? Kalorik. Once in a while bananas and other gunky foods will get stuck but otherwise great.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I got a half pound of corned beef from the deli counter, sliced like sandwich meat. What would be the best method to heat it?

Also, I finished a jar of Claussen pickles today. Can I reuse the brine with some sliced onions? If so, how long should I let them pickle before eating?

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

The Midniter posted:

I got a half pound of corned beef from the deli counter, sliced like sandwich meat. What would be the best method to heat it?

Also, I finished a jar of Claussen pickles today. Can I reuse the brine with some sliced onions? If so, how long should I let them pickle before eating?

The best way to reheat corned beef is probably to put it in a sealed bag and place that in a pot of water, then bring the water up to your serving temperature and maintain it. You might add a little liquid into the bag as well. Essentially, sous vide it back to life.

If that's too much of a pain in the butt, reheat in a covered pot in the oven with a little liquid. If even that takes too much time, do it in the microwave. I tried to do it in the microwave before, but sprained my pelvis, so be careful about that.

Or throw your corned beef into a smoker and call it ghetto pastrami. If you're interested, pastrami has to be meat with the highest ratio of deli price to home cost. You can make pastrami that would run for $12/lb for the cost of a brisket and about 10 minutes of actual labor. If you want to make corned beef instead, then make that 5 minutes of labor.

Regarding your brine question, brine of the quality of most store brands is relatively cheap to make. I'm all for reusing things, but there's a difference between reusing brine that's filled with peppercorn, dill, garlic, and herbs and reusing the plain greenish crap. Except olive brine. That's useful for dirty martinis or for spilling on your girlfriend. The latter is so she can yell at you and ask why you did it and you can say, "because olive you." I keep a tiny drumset in the kitchen just for the rimshots.

How long should they pickle? Well, since you're doing refrigerator pickling, the answer is "When it tastes right." You can test them any time, as it's not like you're breaking a seal. If your slices are thin enough, test them in a week (It won't take as long to penetrate onion slices as it would whole pickles). Yes, I mentioned penetration and pickles and didn't make a joke about it. It took every ounce of self control I could mustard. Muster. Sausage.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
There's a Japanese cooking craze about shiokouji (塩麹), originally from Yamagata Prefecture. You make it by mixing rice, salt, and water for 7-10 days at room temperature, which will apparently grow yeast.

After it's fermented, you put a couple of spoons of it in a bag with meat or vegetables and let it do its thing for a while (at least an hour, preferably overnight) and then cook normally. It makes chicken amazingly soft and juicy.

Has anyone heard of this? Is there a western equivalent? Is this a chemical process comparable to yogurt and tandoori chicken?

tarepanda fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 7, 2012

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Noni posted:

You can make pastrami that would run for $12/lb for the cost of a brisket and about 10 minutes of actual labor. If you want to make corned beef instead, then make that 5 minutes of labor.
This is NOT my pastrami experience. What is this ten minute method that replaces the whole season/smoke/steam weeklong endeavor?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It takes a long time but most of it isn't actually doing anything. Prep the spices then let it sit, stick it in the smoker then let it sit. It's like yogurt, it takes a day but you're only actually doing anything for like five minutes of that day.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Grand Fromage posted:

It takes a long time but most of it isn't actually doing anything. Prep the spices then let it sit, stick it in the smoker then let it sit. It's like yogurt, it takes a day but you're only actually doing anything for like five minutes of that day.

Yeah, that's what I meant. If we're going to apply the title of "labor" to the time it takes to brine meat and sit next to a smoker while drinking beer and napping with a farting dog at my feet, then I'm one hard-working, productive motherfucker.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

My friend brought over my half of the meat order today. I had clearer a lot of space in my smoker...I had not cleared enough space. They brought two boxes that were basically the size of banker's boxes, full to the brim.

So much meat.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

The Midniter posted:

Depends on what you want to do with it, I suppose. A lot of delis steam corned beef or pastrami to reheat it, which is a good way to do it if you want it as juicy as possible. If it's good, fatty corned beef, you can also toss it in a hot skillet for a little bit and it'll come out awesome.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

An observer posted:

Yesterday I went to a french-cambodian restaurant. I had something called crevettes amrita. It was some kinda sweet curry—to quote, "Natural shrimp sautéed in a lightly sweet and spicy Cambodian satay sauce with coriander, cumin, cardamom, galangal, cinnamon, ginger, peanuts, star anise and lemongrass; with button mushroom, red bell pepper, onion and scallion". I thought it was pretty good but can't find recipes online. Anyone know of a similar dish?

coriander, cumin, cardamom, galangal, cinnamon, ginger, peanuts, star anise and lemongrass

Sounds like a pretty typical thai/cambodian satay sauce, other than the star anise which isn't that outrageous. Make a traditional satay sauce, stir fry your vegetables, add in your shrimp then toss it through the sauce over heat.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm going to make Green Enchiladas for the first time, and was going to use this Rick Bayless recipe. I have a question though, don't most green enchiladas have tomatillos in them? I notice he uses spinach which I thought was a bit odd.

Anyone have a better recipe somewhere?

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

tarepanda posted:

There's a Japanese cooking craze about shiokouji (塩麹), originally from Yamagata Prefecture. You make it by mixing rice, salt, and water for 7-10 days at room temperature, which will apparently grow yeast.

After it's fermented, you put a couple of spoons of it in a bag with meat or vegetables and let it do its thing for a while (at least an hour, preferably overnight) and then cook normally. It makes chicken amazingly soft and juicy.

Has anyone heard of this? Is there a western equivalent? Is this a chemical process comparable to yogurt and tandoori chicken?

Sounds like a good way to get food poisoning. Bacillus Cereus, specifically.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacillus_cereus

blowingupcasinos
Feb 21, 2006
My boss lives out in the woods and likes going morel hunting with his wife. He also dislike eating morels. So! I was thinking about making a white sauce with the morels, but if you guys have any other ideas, please shoot them my way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

pr0k posted:

Sounds like a good way to get food poisoning. Bacillus Cereus, specifically.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacillus_cereus

Hmm. But you're cooking the meat normally.