Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

psychoticBacofoil posted:

Someone made a picture of what Act 5 would look like with this way of making books.

You open up that book and it is hollow. Inside is a replica head of one of the dead trolls and a slip of paper bearing an embossed copy of Hussie's face.

YOU'RE WELCOME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

psychoticBacofoil posted:

Someone made a picture of what Act 5 would look like with this way of making books.

I recognize that book. That's from when somebody had most of the featured articles on Wikipedia bound into a single volume.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
I don't get it.

I just finished burning through Homestuck a few weeks back (have since almost re-read the whole thing too) and thought I would check out some of the previous stuff on the site, figure out how he got to where he is now.

I don't get it at all. The gulf between black-and white stick figures pissing on each other and the multi-dimensional time-hopping character ensemble of technicolour, surround sound Homestuck is something you'd expect someone to need years of dedicated practise to cross. What happened? Did he sell his soul to the god of internet success? How are these created by the same guy?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You need to look at his other, older work, such as Whistles or And It Don't Stop. Andrew Hussie is a talented artist who's been creating things for quite a long time now. Problem Sleuth and even Homestuck are deliberately simplified artistically to enable his rapid update speed, which he decided was more valuable.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Fargo Fukes posted:

I don't get it.

I just finished burning through Homestuck a few weeks back (have since almost re-read the whole thing too) and thought I would check out some of the previous stuff on the site, figure out how he got to where he is now.

I don't get it at all. The gulf between black-and white stick figures pissing on each other and the multi-dimensional time-hopping character ensemble of technicolour, surround sound Homestuck is something you'd expect someone to need years of dedicated practise to cross. What happened? Did he sell his soul to the god of internet success? How are these created by the same guy?

You should look at his even older comics. The long and short of it is that he was a talented artist even before he started MS Paint Adventures. MS Paint Adventures was just a little screw-around project at the start, but now it's a lot closer to him working at full capacity.

e: ^^ mmm yep

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Fargo Fukes posted:

I don't get it.

Check out some of his pre-MSPA comics. In particular, check out And It Don't Stop and Neon Ice Cream Headache, which were in some ways antecedents to what's going on in Homestuck. For non-comics work, there's his less-old blog; sadly, I can't find his older one, but a few of the highlights are preserved there.

He's been doing internet entertainment for quite a long time, and it's just with Homestuck that it's gone from "successful enough to engage in a protracted prank war with Ryan North" to "successful enough to crash Newgrounds on a whim."

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Regy Rusty posted:

You need to look at his other, older work, such as Whistles or And It Don't Stop. Andrew Hussie is a talented artist who's been creating things for quite a long time now. Problem Sleuth and even Homestuck are deliberately simplified artistically to enable his rapid update speed, which he decided was more valuable.
While good, neither of those comics are Inappropriate Time for Ham or Humanimals.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
AIDS and the Riddler's Gammon shorts really show off how much skill he has with wordplay.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Okay, let's just NOT abbreviate And It Don't Stop in the future. :stare:

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Fargo Fukes posted:

I don't get it.

Hussie was already talented as hell before he started MSPA, Homestuck is just the first comic on the site (maybe the first comic he's ever done) in which he employs every single one of his skills to their fullest and picks up some new ones (like figuring out Flash) on the way.

It's like looking at Lord Byron and saying "How could this guy have written Don Juan? None of his other poems are that great!" (Or the Shakespeare debacle)

His talent was already here.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Okay, let's just NOT abbreviate And It Don't Stop in the future. :stare:

But that's the best part

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Today I went on an adventure to TCAF to buy Homestuck Vol. 2. I actually followed a trail of people wearing Homestuck shirts on Bloor Street toward the public library it was held at. The contrast between the old people with children having a fun day at the library and greasy dudes wearing the pink Roxy t-shirt made for a fun time looking at the massive crowds at least.

I slept through Hussie's signing times today so I guess I'll go back tomorrow and do that. Hopefully with fewer people talking about painting their hypothetical children grey to dress them up like trolls.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Fargo Fukes posted:

I don't get it.

The main point, that a lot of people here skipped while rushing to show off his previous stuff, is that previous MSPA comics progressed entirely by fan commands, which is a huge handicap towards making a compelling piece of work, which is why Jailbreak and Bards Quest are such huge piles of wank. Problem Sleuth is I think when Hussie decided that maybe taking the first command no matter what wasn't such a good idea and he started picking and choosing which commands he would draw next. Then around the end of the first year of Homestuck he realized that ditching fan commands entirely would be better for the work itself.

What I'm saying is that Hussie wrote early MSPA comics with his creativity metaphorically one handed as the other was tied behind his back. Once he cut loose of those constraints he really started working some magic.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The thing with Homestuck was more that he was getting so many suggestions towards the middle of Act 2, 3 that he was basically just capable of choosing what he wanted to do originally from the million of entries, so he just went with whatever he wanted anyway. It made the same difference, really. Once you have millions of people putting in commands, the point of commands is diminished since you're going to get a full spectrum thing.

Maybe the next adventure will go back to commands via some kind of vote-based CYOA format, who knows. Maybe he'll abandon the "conceit" of it being a game with commands and move to a slightly different approach altogether. We'll see!

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
I'm hoping the next MSPA is an ARG. The Homestuck fandom already has a comparable level of collective problem-solving.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Zorak posted:

The thing with Homestuck was more that he was getting so many suggestions towards the middle of Act 2, 3 that he was basically just capable of choosing what he wanted to do originally from the million of entries, so he just went with whatever he wanted anyway. It made the same difference, really. Once you have millions of people putting in commands, the point of commands is diminished since you're going to get a full spectrum thing.

Maybe the next adventure will go back to commands via some kind of vote-based CYOA format, who knows. Maybe he'll abandon the "conceit" of it being a game with commands and move to a slightly different approach altogether. We'll see!

Well he's stated before in some formspring somewhere god knows where that Homestuck would be the last MSPA type thing.

First Spear
Jun 27, 2008

CidGregor posted:

Book two is TWO HUNDRED AND EIGHTY PAGES, goddamn. Book one was a mere 156. Hussie you may want to consider splitting act three into more than one book at this rate.

As it stands, Act 3 + the MC intermission's still one volume, and longer than Book 2. I haven't started on 4 yet, though, so we'll see whether that ends up being the first to split into multiple books.

Hopefully folks like Book 2, now that it's finally out there. Andrew and I tried a few new things in this one.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
That sounds interesting. It'll be ages before my copy actually reaches me (customs really likes to sit on stuff for weeks on end) but I expect I'll hear a thing or two about it here.

vvvv Two or three weeks? It's always six to eight here. :negative:

Hamiltonian Bicycle fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 5, 2012

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Any hints you can drop on the new things, Mortal Sword? I know people already bought copies at TCAF, right? Between buying the embossed copy and delivery services never getting the delivery right to my address, it'll be at least two or three weeks until I have the book in my hands.

First Spear
Jun 27, 2008

Bobulus posted:

Any hints you can drop on the new things, Mortal Sword? I know people already bought copies at TCAF, right? Between buying the embossed copy and delivery services never getting the delivery right to my address, it'll be at least two or three weeks until I have the book in my hands.

Now that it's been released, I can talk about whatever, yeah. The new stuff was mostly in the realm of experimenting with page layouts, backgrounds, and the like, especially when it came to the more action-oriented animations. There were far more opportunities to mess around with stuff like that in Book 2, with the increasing use of flash in the comic itself, and I expect Book 3 will probably have even more in that regard, what with all the Strifes. The initial draft of Book 3 alone took over 10 hours longer to assemble than Book 2's.

Here's a couple screenshots directly from my InDesign doc for Book 2, just to illustrate some examples:

It's always hard to gauge book length for these Acts before they're actually laid out, since you have some spots where 8 pages of the comic will take up only 2 book pages, and situations where one comic page will take up 20 book pages (like the walkaround flash at the beginning of Act 2).

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

pandaK posted:

Well he's stated before in some formspring somewhere god knows where that Homestuck would be the last MSPA type thing.

Didn't he also say that about PS, though?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Zorak posted:

The thing with Homestuck was more that he was getting so many suggestions towards the middle of Act 2, 3 that he was basically just capable of choosing what he wanted to do originally from the million of entries, so he just went with whatever he wanted anyway.

I coulda sworn this happened in Problem Sleuth first, and with Homestuck he just outright shut down the suggestion box. Can't remember where he said as much, though, probably in the old Formspring or maybe the forums somewhere.

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.

Mortal Sword posted:

Now that it's been released, I can talk about whatever, yeah. The new stuff was mostly in the realm of experimenting with page layouts, backgrounds, and the like, especially when it came to the more action-oriented animations. There were far more opportunities to mess around with stuff like that in Book 2, with the increasing use of flash in the comic itself, and I expect Book 3 will probably have even more in that regard, what with all the Strifes. The initial draft of Book 3 alone took over 10 hours longer to assemble than Book 2's.

Here's a couple screenshots directly from my InDesign doc for Book 2, just to illustrate some examples:

It's always hard to gauge book length for these Acts before they're actually laid out, since you have some spots where 8 pages of the comic will take up only 2 book pages, and situations where one comic page will take up 20 book pages (like the walkaround flash at the beginning of Act 2).

I just got my copy at TCAF and I have to say you did a really great job on the flash pages and the SBaHJ pages. (Is that something that needs to be spoiled?) Plus this page. It's just... majestic.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.

Regy Rusty, Rasamune, Bongo Bill, Well Manicured Man, SatansBestBuddy, Zorak posted:

A whole lot of important stuff.

Thanks guys, I had no idea he'd been such a prolific artist before Homestuck. The thing that really got me I think was the gulf in imagination and storytelling, which could go to show how much he was hamstrung by the audience participation aspect. Looking over the first couple of hundred pages with what I know now, it's incredible the amount of forethought and planning that's gone into Homestuck. It's difficult to imagine creating such a complex storyline, even if you had a future Trollian-self giving advice where the plot was going!

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I coulda sworn this happened in Problem Sleuth first, and with Homestuck he just outright shut down the suggestion box. Can't remember where he said as much, though, probably in the old Formspring or maybe the forums somewhere.

He kept the suggestion box open until early in Act 4 (precisely, around Jade and Dave connected, which was not very far in).

I keep all the suggestions I made that were used saved in a notepad file for posterity, because I am horrible.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

Fargo Fukes posted:

Thanks guys, I had no idea he'd been such a prolific artist before Homestuck. The thing that really got me I think was the gulf in imagination and storytelling, which could go to show how much he was hamstrung by the audience participation aspect. Looking over the first couple of hundred pages with what I know now, it's incredible the amount of forethought and planning that's gone into Homestuck. It's difficult to imagine creating such a complex storyline, even if you had a future Trollian-self giving advice where the plot was going!
The interesting thing is that a lot of it *wasn't* planned. For example, the trolls didn't even exist until around the time they actually entered the story (IIRC). Normally I find the whole make-it-up-as-you-go style of storywriting a bit obvious and grating, but Hussie has done a remarkable job of making it all hang together and feel natural (and to be fair he does seem to do quite a bit of pre-planning as well).

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Fargo Fukes posted:

If I recall correctly, Hussie still flies by the seat of his pants narratively. He'll set up Chekhov's Guns and dangling plotlines without any idea when he's going to get back to it and only a vague outline as to "how". I believe he's even claimed that, despite what many people may assume, he doesn't even have some kind of massive outline planned out in advance, just general ideas. That he can actually produce a viable and intelligible plot out of all this timey-wimey bullshit is a miracle and proof of his amazing skill.

That, and him being able to make up to 12 trolls based on awful archetypes, with off-putting character traits and insufferable typing quirks, likeable or endearing at all, is another.

Mystery Machine
Oct 12, 2008
I just finished reading through all of Homestuck yesterday, for my first time, and to my great joy, I find we have a thread! Also, I magically finish on the week he decides to take a break. As much as I love Jack, I really want the plot to swing back to whatever might happen with Gamzee. He's been my favorite character for such a long while.

Going through Problem Sleuth while I wait, though!

First Spear
Jun 27, 2008

Dark Grapefruit posted:

I just got my copy at TCAF and I have to say you did a really great job on the flash pages and the SBaHJ pages. (Is that something that needs to be spoiled?) Plus this page. It's just... majestic.

Thanks!

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Well Manicured Man posted:

He'll set up Chekhov's Guns and dangling plotlines without any idea when he's going to get back to it and only a vague outline as to "how". I believe he's even claimed that, despite what many people may assume, he doesn't even have some kind of massive outline planned out in advance, just general ideas.

I've always assumed that's just a mark of good writing.

I mean, think about it. You can't have everything planned from the start when writing a book. You get you ideas together, get the basic outlines for where the plot is heading and who the characters are and poo poo like that, and start writing from there. Fleshing out the plot and the setting, side characters and backstory, they're all just "general ideas" until you put them to paper and expand them.

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I've always assumed that's just a mark of good writing.

I mean, think about it. You can't have everything planned from the start when writing a book. You get you ideas together, get the basic outlines for where the plot is heading and who the characters are and poo poo like that, and start writing from there. Fleshing out the plot and the setting, side characters and backstory, they're all just "general ideas" until you put them to paper and expand them.

That's true, but when you're writing a book, you can go back and edit things that end up not working out. Hussie doesn't have that luxury, and that's why what he's done so far has been so impressive.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

ShardPhoenix posted:

The interesting thing is that a lot of it *wasn't* planned. For example, the trolls didn't even exist until around the time they actually entered the story (IIRC).

Hussie planned the existence of the trolls and their role as the creators of the kids' universe from very early on, but had originally intended for them to be much more malevolent and antagonistic.

Slowly but surely they became major characters, in no part due to their early popularity. But even around Act 4 when the trolls were first being shown off, Hussie had stated on Formspring that he didn't expect all the trolls to become major characters with speaking roles, and said at best he'd just show what they all look like.

I gotta dig through an archive of his Formsprings or something so I can dig that quote up because I refer to it a lot and people always think I'm BSing.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

nerdbot posted:

Hussie had stated on Formspring that he didn't expect all the trolls to become major characters with speaking roles, and said at best he'd just show what they all look like.

Haha, didn't he say that about the ancestors too?

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

nerdbot posted:

I gotta dig through an archive of his Formsprings or something so I can dig that quote up because I refer to it a lot and people always think I'm BSing.
Here's the single-page archive dump: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40585720/Combined_Formspring_Web_Aug-28-2011.htm

eg:

quote:

I don't know, honestly a lot of these trolltags were just silly throwaway phrases to match up all the leftover ACGT initials. I never thought I'd introduce most of them. But it's been one of the fun things about it, taking that initial phrase and building something around it to make it logical.

When I originally thought of the phrase "gallowsCalibrator" for instance, I pictured some guy, someone probably much more generically malevolent. Then I'm sure I thought, pffffffff, never gonna introduce THAT guy.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Mortal Sword posted:

I just want to say that's the neatest thing and you're a cool dude for talking about it with us. :)

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I think Hussie has always had the beginning, critical events, and conclusion (or goal) to the story all planned out. It's just the more intricate parts of the journey that are conceived as he goes. Most authors would go through this same process— you don't just invent 6000 pages of story in your head and unload it in one shot, you just start writing and fill in the gaps as you go.

Every fiction writer is making stuff up as they think of it, it's just that with a webcomic, we get to see it live as it updates here. That's why it doesn't really make much sense to call it "retroactive foreshadowing" whenever Hussie references earlier parts of the story on a whim, as it is no more retroactive than a book author who is filling their own gaps as they go, whether it's in their head or on paper.

Spellman fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 6, 2012

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

loquacius posted:

I bet we're going to see an update called "[S]Page: Turn." before this is all over.

A few pages late, but I guess our first clue should have been back when Vriska was chewing out Tavros and we got the command 'Thief: Tear into Page.'

Seriously though, between Pre-Scratch Grandpa having imaginary tea parties as an adult and Tavros spouting lines like this...

quote:

AT: i'M PRETENDING THAT AS HARD AS i CAN, iN THE MOST CONFIDENT WAY,
AT: wHICH MAKES IT PARTIALLY MORE TRUE,

I'm growing more and more convinced that Page powers have to do with creation.

Hell, you could basically make them a Summoner class and it would tie in perfectly with Tavros's beast control mind powers and love of that Alternian version of Pokemon. Picture if he'd gone God Tier and was able to Imagine up gigantic beasts to control.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 11:21 on May 6, 2012

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

Bobulus posted:

Hell, you could basically make them a Summoner class and it would tie in perfectly with Tavros's beast control mind powers and love of that Alternian version of Pokemon. Picture if he'd gone God Tier and was able to Imagine up gigantic beasts to control.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't The Summoner the only name we have for Tavros's winged ancestor? I think we might have hit the nail on the head here.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Speaking of theorycrafting, I've been reading a bit of ahpoordogsbody. He's got this, like, schizophrenic level of attempting to connect things between various elements in Homestuck. He's Homestuck's version of The Question; wrong a lot, but sometimes predicts something big, like Dirk and Roxy being in the future.

Anyway, I thought this one was pretty neat:

Note the light colors and, more specifically, which one is not 'lit'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Uuuuughh I never got the mother=mummy connection until I saw it spelled out by this guy.

so terrible :cripes:

e/ This blog is hilarious.

UNCANNY

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 6, 2012