Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Best birthday gift ever:

Pappy 20 year old bourbon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Any Columbus Ohio goons here? I'll be in Columbus this coming weekend and hope to visit a liquor store with a very good selection of bourbon.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

wormil posted:

Any Columbus Ohio goons here? I'll be in Columbus this coming weekend and hope to visit a liquor store with a very good selection of bourbon.

No such thing. Ohio is an ABC state, with a fairly anemic selection offered by the state. Not as bad as some states, but when I was living there a few years ago, I had to go to Kentucky or Michigan to find a decent bourbon selection.

Ample
Dec 26, 2007

NightConqueror posted:

Anyone have experience with Wild Turkey 101 Rye? Suddenly I've begun to see 81 Rye, and I've heard due to the explosion of rye popularity they're going to roll out the 101 again. Considering picking up the 81 - that is unless you guys have any other good rye suggestions.

Like most of Wild Turkey's brands, its characterized by its higher proof. It has a hot full body and a nice spiced fruit quality to it along with a silky texture and full body. Its generally well received and thought of. But the overwhelming characteristic of the Rye 101 is its heat due to the proof.

The other higher proof rye of recent popularity is Whistlepig. It is significantly more expensive though. In general higher proof whiskeys can be really polarizing and people either love them or hate them. If you're looking for other Rye suggestions out side of the 81, Bulleit Rye and Sazerac Kentucky Straight Rye are quality products in the same price range.

Ample fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 3, 2013

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
I have a question, I recently decided to get into Whiskey and one thing i have noticed is when i buy a bottle, Doesn't matter what sort, scotch etc.. these weird almost tiny "fuzzy floating things" (I know right? what a description) in the bottle after a day or too. Is this just stuff getting trapped in the bottle when i open it? I don't notice it in other spirits, it seems like it is only my Whiskey's.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

AcidRonin posted:

I have a question, I recently decided to get into Whiskey and one thing i have noticed is when i buy a bottle, Doesn't matter what sort, scotch etc.. these weird almost tiny "fuzzy floating things" (I know right? what a description) in the bottle after a day or too. Is this just stuff getting trapped in the bottle when i open it? I don't notice it in other spirits, it seems like it is only my Whiskey's.

Is it fairly cold where you store your whisky? Because those fuzzy floating things are proteins that fall out of solution when the temperature drops. It's pretty normal. If the whisky warms up again they will disappear.

It could also just be some particulate matter that ends up in the bottle if the whisky hasn't been chillfiltered. This is a good thing.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Schpyder posted:

No such thing. Ohio is an ABC state, with a fairly anemic selection offered by the state. Not as bad as some states, but when I was living there a few years ago, I had to go to Kentucky or Michigan to find a decent bourbon selection.

To expand on this, good Bourbon is not easy to find in Ohio. Even at "high end" stores the best you'll find is like Wild Turkey Rare Breed. Scotch or Irish Whiskey seems to get some okay representation, but not Bourbon for some reason. Or at least that's how it's been in my experience.

I haven't lived in Columbus for four years, but if things haven't changed then you should just bring your own. Also, it seemed like almost every store there will only take cash for hard liquor purchases so prepare for that.

I do take weekend trips to Columbus about once every month or two, but I tend to stick to bars. There's a whiskey bar called Barrel 44 that's got a decent selection but some of their bartenders aren't very knowledgeable and it can get kind of busy on the weekend evenings. If you're open to other types of drinks (or just end up looking for somewhere to eat) then you should check out Surly Girl Saloon. I do a lot of traveling and have been to countless bars / restaurants and it is easily my favorite place to get a drink and a meal out of everywhere I've been. They've got 24 beers on tap and the only low end ones are Miller Highlife and PBR.

VVV Pennsylvania is a two hour drive from Columbus. But besides that Kentucky is actually a wee bit closer, which would seem like a better option.

Jibo fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 2, 2012

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
You could always hop across the border into PA. The stores here are state-run, but if you can find a "premium collection" store you'll find a decent (but not great) selection of bourbons and other whiskies.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Jibo posted:

Scotch or Irish Whiskey seems to get some okay representation, but not Bourbon for some reason. Or at least that's how it's been in my experience.

They've got a pretty terrible selection of scotch as well. You're looking at pretty much the youngest expressions from the largest distilleries, and even then some of the larger ones (like Ardbeg) are next to impossible to find. And forget about IBs, or anything from a smaller distiller. Ohio is a terrible, terrible state to buy whisk(e)y in. Every single one of the states that border it is almost assuredly better in that regard.

If you're going to take that route, I'd suggest just driving to Bellevue, KY (across the river from Cincinnati) and go to The Party Source, which has one of the best bourbon selections I've ever seen, and a pretty drat good scotch selection as well, with plenty of IBs.

Schpyder fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 3, 2012

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Schpyder posted:

They've got a pretty terrible selection of Scotch as well. You're looking at pretty much the youngest expressions from the largest distilleries, and even then some of the larger ones (like Ardbeg) are next to impossible to find. And forget about IBs, or anything from a smaller distiller. Ohio is a terrible, terrible state to buy whisk(e)y in. Every single one of the states that border it is almost assuredly better in that regard.

I agree it could be better, but I can walk into a number of stores and pick up a bottle of Laphroaig 18y or 10y Cask Strength so I call it okay.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006
im in ur base killin ur mans

Schpyder posted:

If you're going to take that route, I'd suggest just driving to Bellevue, KY (across the river from Cincinnati) and go to The Party Source, which has one of the best bourbon selections I've ever seen, and a pretty drat good scotch selection as well, with plenty of IBs.

This is great to hear, as I might be moving to Cincinnati in a few months. I wont be deprived of my whiskey!

EDIT: Holy poo poo their bourbon prices are absurdly good. Four Roses Single Barrel for $33? Yes please.

NightConqueror fucked around with this message at 02:39 on May 3, 2012

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Can anyone recommend a good american rye? The only rye I've tried was ... not very good.

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

Mayor Dave posted:

Can anyone recommend a good american rye? The only rye I've tried was ... not very good.

Rittenhouse Rye, don't pay too much for it. (I see it $18-$30/bottle)

Sazerac Rye is worth a splurge. (Around $25-$35)

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

I'm in San Francisco and have had no luck finding a bottle of Old Potrero straight rye. Well I take that back, I found one bottle for $125 but I don't think that'd be much cheaper than me paying $10 a glass at bars back home.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Mayor Dave posted:

Bulleit and Russell's Reserve as well. Jefferson's and Whistlepig are both Canadian ryes. Wild Turkey is decent, but not great. Old Overholt and Jim Beam are meh. I believe they are all American though.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Jahoodie posted:

Rittenhouse Rye, don't pay too much for it. (I see it $18-$30/bottle)

Sazerac Rye is worth a splurge. (Around $25-$35)

To clarify, he's talking about the bottled-in-bond. Rittenhouse also puts out some ridiculously old and expensive ryes.

Rittenhouse Bonded is a tremendous rye for the price and in general. If you see it buy two or three bottles, before the year's release is all snapped up.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 12:47 on May 4, 2012

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

spankmeister posted:

Is it fairly cold where you store your whisky? Because those fuzzy floating things are proteins that fall out of solution when the temperature drops. It's pretty normal. If the whisky warms up again they will disappear.

It could also just be some particulate matter that ends up in the bottle if the whisky hasn't been chillfiltered. This is a good thing.

Ok cool, i always wondered thank you. It is definitely colder in our apartment than most. I just thought it was dust ha.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

How cold are we talking here? I left my whiskies in my garage during a Phoenix winter and never saw any particulates forming. Temps come drinking time were around 50 degrees.

Hudlinkin
Dec 31, 2007

Mayor Dave posted:

Templeton is my personal favorite,though I hear it can be difficult to find.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Mayor Dave posted:

It's not American (even though it tries its hardest to pass itself off as one), but Jefferson Rye is a really pleasant rye whiskey with some nice spicy, earthy notes. Very interesting and nice. Also, I've heard Whistlepig is really good, but much more expensive.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
Noticed a Mackillop's single cask bottle next to some Auchentoshans at a bar earlier, contents turned out to be a Brora from 1976. Oh my I'm broke in love.

I'll do tasting notes on Taliskers 10, 18 and the CS 57 North soon. Good stuff all around with a definite common spirit to all of them. None of them bad and the 10 extremely recommendable due to its low price point. So far the 57 North seems to amplify the peppery and spicy characteristics of the 10 while the 18 smooths them out beautifully. All have in common an afterglow effect that warms the throat and makes you feel happy and fulfilled (not joking even).

smn
Feb 15, 2005
tutkalla
Recently tasted: Octomore 4.2 Comus.

A positive surprise, heavy smoke and sauternes casks seem to work well together. I was expecting smoke for the sake of smoke, but this was actually a very good whisky.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Octomore 4.2 is very, very good. The peat isn't overbearing but it does something no other whisky does...the peat just builds like a lump at the bottom of your palate and then fills out the rest of your mouth. That wave of peat is *awesome* even when the whisky itself is quite a simple mix of sweet barley malt and smoke. The finish is longer, steadier than any other whisky I've tried.

attila
Jun 15, 2007
To dream the impossible dream...?

NightConqueror posted:

EDIT: Holy poo poo their bourbon prices are absurdly good. Four Roses Single Barrel for $33? Yes please.

I think when I was home at Christmas in Louisville, Costco had Four Roses Single Barrel for $28. If you know someone with a membership, well worth stocking up. Sadly, my bottle is now half gone from making Mint Juleps yesterday.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Forty Creek needs more love in the :911:

It seems to only pop up in the local liquor stores a few times a year and I always alert my friends so we can pick it up. I gave it as a gift to a coworker for his birthday last year and he said "this might be the tastiest whiskey I've ever had".

:thumbsup:

edit: I need to see a picture of a Texas Mickey of Forty Creek from a canuck goon. When I went to Canada to visit friends we were going to pick up a bottle but their local liquor store that carried them was out. I still haven't seen proof of its existence.

feld fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 7, 2012

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

attila posted:

I think when I was home at Christmas in Louisville, Costco had Four Roses Single Barrel for $28. If you know someone with a membership, well worth stocking up. Sadly, my bottle is now half gone from making Mint Juleps yesterday.

Just got a Costco membership today and a bottle of Woodford Reserve for $30.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I accidentally bought a bottle of Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve, 120 proof. It tastes like regular Knob Creek but very alcoholish even on the nose. A bit spicy, the usual suspects (oak, vanilla, pepper), but not much depth, a sweet corn finish. For the price I could have bought 2 bottles of EC12 and should have. It was better with a JR Cohiba Behike Laguito ripoff even though the combined spiciness ruined my taste buds for about 12 hours... think I'll go do it again.

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

wormil posted:

I accidentally bought a bottle of Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve, 120 proof. It tastes like regular Knob Creek but very alcoholish even on the nose. A bit spicy, the usual suspects (oak, vanilla, pepper), but not much depth, a sweet corn finish. For the price I could have bought 2 bottles of EC12 and should have. It was better with a JR Cohiba Behike Laguito ripoff even though the combined spiciness ruined my taste buds for about 12 hours... think I'll go do it again.

That's too bad, and a little odd, because I thought a lot of whiskeys do better at high proofs, at least flavor-wise. The only high proof whisky I've had was Laphroaig Cask Strength which had some serious punch at 114 proof. I've never had a bourbon above 100 proof, but I'd like to try George T. Stagg sometime.

Maybe you should add more water and let it sit for a bit and let some of the alcohol vapors evaporate?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

NightConqueror posted:

That's too bad, and a little odd, because I thought a lot of whiskeys do better at high proofs, at least flavor-wise. The only high proof whisky I've had was Laphroaig Cask Strength which had some serious punch at 114 proof. I've never had a bourbon above 100 proof, but I'd like to try George T. Stagg sometime.

If you want to dip into high-proof bourbons, keep your eyes peeled for Old Grand-Dad 114, which is one of the all-time great bourbon bargains, IMO.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

NightConqueror posted:

That's too bad, and a little odd, because I thought a lot of whiskeys do better at high proofs, at least flavor-wise.

Maybe you should add more water and let it sit for a bit and let some of the alcohol vapors evaporate?

I think the whiskey was over-matured, it just had nothing left to back up that proofage. That's the problem with single barrel offerings, barrel choice is everything. Goes to show why Jimmy Russell is a legend and Fred Noe is an also ran.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Can anyone give me some more information about Red Hackle Reserve 12y old. My dad received it as a gift and we finished a bottle of the stuff. Having Old Smuggler as a comparison, we both agreed that the Red Hackle was far superior.

Since my knowledge of whiskeys stops at the difference between blended and single, I decided to look it up, and it turned out it was somewhat of a rare whiskey.. (and almost everyone said it tasted like soap as well, which really, it didn't :colbert: - that or I can't notice a bad whiskey when I taste one, also possible )

Since they don't appear to sell it anywhere any more, and my dad's birthday is coming up, I was hoping someone here could help me find a similar tasting whiskey.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Ok, so when I was last at the Makers distillery I bought a bottle of "Makers White" (aka white dog) at the gift shop because I had more money than sense.

I now have had this bottle for six months taking up space in my liquor cabinet and I have no idea what to do with its contents. It wasn't great straight up but not awful either; almost smelled like tequila. I tried mixing it with vermouth just for kicks and my consensus was that I ruined some perfectly good vermouth.

Any good cocktail recipes that involve un-aged whiskey?

Jahoodie
Jun 27, 2005
Wooo.... college!

kitten smoothie posted:

Ok, so when I was last at the Makers distillery I bought a bottle of "Makers White" (aka white dog) at the gift shop because I had more money than sense.

I now have had this bottle for six months taking up space in my liquor cabinet and I have no idea what to do with its contents. It wasn't great straight up but not awful either; almost smelled like tequila. I tried mixing it with vermouth just for kicks and my consensus was that I ruined some perfectly good vermouth.

Any good cocktail recipes that involve un-aged whiskey?

Maybe try going sweet with it to bring out the corn flavors, like a mojito type drink?

Or just do a regular makers mark side by side with the white dog for the novelty of it.

Never tried working with the stuff myself, because in my head it's basically corn vodka right?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
When you say a "un-aged whiskey" you're talking about clear "new spirit" right? If so it's basically moonshine, and you should be able to substitute it accordingly into any cocktail. It's already going to be very sweet, have you tried it on rocks with a few dashes of bitters?

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Bought my first good bourbon. Buffalo Trace. :stare::respek::stare:

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

TenaciousTomato posted:

Bought my first good bourbon. Buffalo Trace. :stare::respek::stare:

Buffalo Trace is a great value. It was my first good bourbon as well. You should try Bulleit next.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Paramemetic posted:

When you say a "un-aged whiskey" you're talking about clear "new spirit" right? If so it's basically moonshine, and you should be able to substitute it accordingly into any cocktail. It's already going to be very sweet, have you tried it on rocks with a few dashes of bitters?

I haven't tried that, I'll give that a shot. I do imagine that would balance out the overly sweet flavor.

Ample
Dec 26, 2007

Punc posted:

Can anyone give me some more information about Red Hackle Reserve 12y old. My dad received it as a gift and we finished a bottle of the stuff. Having Old Smuggler as a comparison, we both agreed that the Red Hackle was far superior.

Since they don't appear to sell it anywhere any more, and my dad's birthday is coming up, I was hoping someone here could help me find a similar tasting whiskey.

After doing a short Google search:

quote:

After WW11 Hepburn & Ross had still a good quantity of whisky in stock so unlike competitors was able to continue selling it in those rationed times. Because of its relative ease to find it aquired an unfair reputation as a fiery and cheap blend and consequently suffered when other brands became more freely available in the early sixties. I have an unopened bottle of de Luxe which was a decent dram. It was a delightful company to work for and I spent some of the happiest days of my working life there. That is until it was taken over by Robertson & Baxter in 1959. They are the bottlers of Cutty Sark and bought H&R simply to get hold of their stocks of bulk whisky.

They let the brand almost fizzle out and it did indeed become a 'cheap' brand which is a pity. (Incidentally, Berry Bros. & Rudd are the brand owners of Cutty Sark although R&B do all the whisky supply and bottling)

Edit: (Source found here: https://www.whiskymag.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10378)

It would be easier to suggest you a new blended Scotch if you mentioned a price range and flavor profile you were looking for. Other suggestions include Buchanan's, Dewar's, Johnnie Walker, The Black Grouse. Old Smuggler is a pretty poor comparison for whiskey. There are a lot of other affordable brands that have a better reputation and quality.

Ample fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jan 3, 2013

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
What is the consensus on Eagle Rare? I was at the liquor store and the clerk recommended that as a good starting point for straight sipping but also cheap enough to mix and not feel bad about it. I've enjoyed it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NightConqueror
Oct 5, 2006

Untagged posted:

What is the consensus on Eagle Rare? I was at the liquor store and the clerk recommended that as a good starting point for straight sipping but also cheap enough to mix and not feel bad about it. I've enjoyed it so far.

Eagle Rare and Evan Williams Single Barrel are both really good single barrel offerings at a really reasonable price ($28-30). I haven't tried a lot of Eagle Rare, but my Evan Williams is pretty phenom.