Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

blargle posted:

Is this shady firmware you need to flash for ICS on Evo 3D backwards compatible, in case I want to go back to my Gingerbread rom?

It is. But as I mentioned above, you might not even need to flash the firmware. Try flashing just the rom first, and if you're having issues then flash the firmware.

Some 3Ds need the firmware to boot Linux 3.0 kernels and some - weirdly enough - don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

I flashed cleanrom ics and it worked great. I didn't need that shady firmware update at all.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've noticed that the only thing that seems to not work is the location service. Weather apps seem to get the right forecast and maps pulls up my exact location no problem, but any weather widget shows N/A for the city name.

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.
So now they are saying that if you upgraded to that firmware that was posted, you won't be able to downgrade.

In short

XDA posted:

TL;DR/easier to digest
Leak has dzdata_4g.hdr
No official firmware RUU does
Downgrading leaves you stuck with dzdata_4g

What is bad about keeping the Firmware

If you have flashed the zip or have tried downgrading from it, you might be one of the few that have problems with:
-No 3G, just 1X
-No VPN
-More bugs
And everyone will be stuck with the "Virgin Mobile" banner.

:downs:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

sonicice posted:

So now they are saying that if you upgraded to that firmware that was posted, you won't be able to downgrade.

In short

gently caress. Does this apply if you are s-off, though?

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005
On these sites that list say a "Galaxy 2" for Sprint for $49 "with a new Sprint account" like Wirefly and Amazon; is it possible to merge it into my account soon afterward so that it combines the bill instead of having to pay for 2 different ones?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

No, there's no way to get out of that new line with a 2yr contract and its associated bill.
completely misinterpreted what you were asking

td4guy fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 6, 2012

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

uapyro posted:

On these sites that list say a "Galaxy 2" for Sprint for $49 "with a new Sprint account" like Wirefly and Amazon; is it possible to merge it into my account soon afterward so that it combines the bill instead of having to pay for 2 different ones?

Yeah you could merge it into your account right away so that you see it when you log in online, or add it to a family plan.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

uapyro posted:

You can always merge or transfer numbers/contracts from one account to another, just make sure you read amazon or wire fly s terms and conditions, if you switch it so your line is an add a line within 6 months it may change their commission and hence they may charge you.

Personal opinion, but wirefly doesn't deserve your money.

Hot spot add on plans with phones are changing:

Old: $30 for 5gbs of data
New:
$20 for 2gbs
$50 for 5gbs

I'm assuming most people here unlock and tether, but just an fyi. And yeah the plans aren't as good.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
Not as good is an understatement.

But yes I assume most people, especially people on this forum, are rooted/jailbroken and tethering.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

You can always merge or transfer numbers/contracts from one account to another, just make sure you read amazon or wire fly s terms and conditions, if you switch it so your line is an add a line within 6 months it may change their commission and hence they may charge you.

Thanks! This is about the only thing I could find on their site that seems like what you said:

"This discount has been provided to you based on your agreement to (a) activate a new, or extend an existing, line of service for this device with the carrier, and (b) maintain this service in good standing for a minimum of 181 consecutive days. If you do not activate or extend a line of service in connection with this device, or if your service is canceled/disconnected before 181 consecutive days, AmazonWireless.com will charge you $250 per device, plus applicable taxes."

Also, if I cancel the "phone number" that I added a discount to originally that applies to all of my lines, does the discount go away or stay? I'll likely be adding that person right back.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

sonicice posted:

In short

Y
Did some more research into this and it doesn't seem like a big deal. The additional emmc partition is part of all HTC ICS phones (including the Qualcomm e3d dev phone) and is apparently related to CIQ.

Probably not the best idea to flash the VM firmware if you don't need it, but you CAN downgrade if you're S OFF - you'll just have a superfluous emmc partition.

That thread is typical xda "the sky is falling! " crap. At least so far.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I hardly ever use the camera on my phone, and wimax cuts in and out so often I keep it off. That being said, the sense 4.0ICS rom for the Evo3d is actually really good and stable. I would totally recommend it if you meet those two criteria.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Duckman2008 posted:

Hot spot add on plans with phones are changing:

Old: $30 for 5gbs of data
New:
$20 for 2gbs
$50 for 5gbs

I'm assuming most people here unlock and tether, but just an fyi. And yeah the plans aren't as good.

I would pay for legit tethering if there was a pay as you go option. I don't want to pay an additional monthly fee for something I won't even use most months, but I'd be willing to do a pay per MB model for the rare occasions when my wife and I are out and she doesn't have access to wifi for her iPad. That's pretty much the only time I ever use tethering.

Of course, now that she's got the massive Galaxy Nexus, tethering the iPad isn't as big a deal anymore...

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I assume these ICS roms include a new kernel? Meaning if I roll back to GB I'd have to flash a GB kernel? I'm used to just swapping the system out while maintaining the stock kernel.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

brc64 posted:

I would pay for legit tethering if there was a pay as you go option. I don't want to pay an additional monthly fee for something I won't even use most months, but I'd be willing to do a pay per MB model for the rare occasions when my wife and I are out and she doesn't have access to wifi for her iPad. That's pretty much the only time I ever use tethering.

Of course, now that she's got the massive Galaxy Nexus, tethering the iPad isn't as big a deal anymore...

Only nice thing with sprint is they seem to be pretty good at prorating it, so if you add it on and remove it 2 days later, you pay 2 days worth of $20. I'm assuming that's staying the case with the new plans. Last I checked they also didn't prorate the data like Verizon does, but again not sure if that is staying the same.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Duckman2008 posted:

I have yet to unlock my phone, but tethering would be a pretty significant reason for why I would (along with making my phone's vibration stronger, which I understand I would need to unlock to do). How likely is it that a) sprint will notice and b) how much will they not like it if I did unlock and tether?

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

I hardly ever use the camera on my phone, and wimax cuts in and out so often I keep it off. That being said, the sense 4.0ICS rom for the Evo3d is actually really good and stable. I would totally recommend it if you meet those two criteria.

Wimax and camera are working great for me with a new ICS sense rom?

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

spidoman posted:

Wimax and camera are working great for me with a new ICS sense rom?

You're probably using a sense 3.6 rom.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Yawgmoft posted:

I have yet to unlock my phone, but tethering would be a pretty significant reason for why I would (along with making my phone's vibration stronger, which I understand I would need to unlock to do). How likely is it that a) sprint will notice and b) how much will they not like it if I did unlock and tether?
There's nothing they can do to stop you. Just like your ISP can't stop you from having a wireless router in your house. You're not going to get in trouble doing it unless you suddenly start using double-digit gigabytes per month of bandwidth.

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
Carriers can detect if you're tethering as desktop computers will use a different TTL: http://www.redmondpie.com/bypass-network-carriers-tether-detection-on-android-with-clockworkmod-tether-alpha-download-now/. That said, I tether now and then without the special app that hides it and have never had an issue.

Also, I finally installed the ICS leak on my Evo 3D and while it's pretty nice, they really dumbed it down from the stock Android that comes on the G Nexus.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

It didn't even come to that. I went to Best Buy, and they said they'd price match the price I saw online. A little goof and instead of a "new line" added, they just gave me the upgrade for $49 for the SG2E4G to my current line. Definitely cheaper than trying to replace the LCD and the digitizer on the Evo4G that I messed up trying to cracked digitizer that's currently on it.

Do the Evo4G have any value as parts on ebay or anywhere with a good ESN, but cracked LCD? I have the digitizer, but gave up on fixing it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

For anyone else who flashed the VM firmware on their Evo 3D - there's a fix to at least get you back on the right PRI as a Sprint user and not a Virgin user.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=25768034&postcount=387

Worked for me, and now my speeds on 3G went from 100kbps to 200kbps! Yay for Sprint's poo poo speed in the Phoenix metro.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is 200kbps or even 100kbps that bad for phone use? Maybe I'm not as picky since I remember the days of 2400baud modems being the hot poo poo. Then again, I just tested and I guess I get 860kbps, although it is 230am.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Yeah, it's pretty bad. You have to wait literally a minute or two for Google Maps to load a map view. And things like iPhone's Siri take forever. Not to mention that its speed is often unstable, leading to pauses/buffering on streaming music services.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

IOwnCalculus posted:

Worked for me, and now my speeds on 3G went from 100kbps to 200kbps! Yay for Sprint's poo poo speed in the Phoenix metro.

poo poo, I wished I got those kinds of speeds. I am lucky to break 30Kbps.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
I swear I am on crack and only used to get some measly 30KB-60KB/sec down here in some small Delaware town near Ocean City, MD. SpeedTest is telling me I'm hitting 2mbit which I swore every time I tethered it was not even half as good.

edit: Ok I'm not wrong. I have some Speedtest results from October and they were all below 0.50mbit/sec. One result was even 0.09mbit/sec. I did have one test down here where I did 1.64mbit/sec but that was only once. Over the course of nine tests I averaged 0.38mbit/sec and that includes the one 1.64mbit result as well. I really hope Sprint has done improvements down here because there are a couple of drop-out areas and the signal in the house is a little wonky.

My brother just jumped on Sprint though so I should tell him to get a freebie Airrave or Airvania :v:

averox fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 7, 2012

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CharlesM posted:

Is 200kbps or even 100kbps that bad for phone use? Maybe I'm not as picky since I remember the days of 2400baud modems being the hot poo poo. Then again, I just tested and I guess I get 860kbps, although it is 230am.

When people are routinely getting 1 megabit or faster on other carriers, it just goes to show how much trouble Sprint's network is in. I'm not paying all that much less for my four line plan than I would at almost any other carrier.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

When people are routinely getting 1 megabit or faster on other carriers, it just goes to show how much trouble Sprint's network is in. I'm not paying all that much less for my four line plan than I would at almost any other carrier.

I swear though most customers I get speed is never an issue or question. The unlimited data sells it very well.

uapyro posted:

It didn't even come to that. I went to Best Buy, and they said they'd price match the price I saw online. A little goof and instead of a "new line" added, they just gave me the upgrade for $49 for the SG2E4G to my current line. Definitely cheaper than trying to replace the LCD and the digitizer on the Evo4G that I messed up trying to cracked digitizer that's currently on it.

Do the Evo4G have any value as parts on ebay or anywhere with a good ESN, but cracked LCD? I have the digitizer, but gave up on fixing it.

Sprint would give you like, $30 for it. Sprint.com/buyback

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

I swear though most customers I get speed is never an issue or question. The unlimited data sells it very well.

That is because they are mostly ignorant probably - and goes to show how cheap most people are.

You are saving 10-15% on the service and getting maybe 50% of the network performance.

I wouldn't be on Sprint except for the fact that I get a 25% discount - which is a substantial chunk of change.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Funny thing is, while I consider myself a power user...because the signal is so poor most times I go to use it, I just try to get on wifi whenever possible. Ends up that what little data I use on Sprint's network is so slow, I never come close to what everyone else caps at.

At the end of the day, though, it is the cheapest plan out there for what I need right now, and I've got all four lines with varying dates on their contracts so I'm pretty well entrenched here. I just hope they eventually roll out LTE here.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Jensen posted:

That is because they are mostly ignorant probably - and goes to show how cheap most people are.

You are saving 10-15% on the service and getting maybe 50% of the network performance.

I wouldn't be on Sprint except for the fact that I get a 25% discount - which is a substantial chunk of change.

I did the numbers on this vs straight talk for my situation (2 lines, smartphones, currently on EPRP)

Sprint $145/mo = $3480 over 2 years plus $400 for phones = $3880
Straight talk $90/mo = $2160 over 2 years plus $800 for phones = $2960

That's a huge savings and a dramatically better network along with being able to take my phone on vacation and use local sim cards.

I'd probably stick around if the speed was better, Sprint has treated me well and the EVO LTE looks great, but data speeds are so bad now my phone only works 100% of the time for email. Even something like checking traffic on google maps to determine which route to take sometimes takes so long (minutes) I end up in an unnecessary traffic jam.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Hopefully, Network Vision will take care of this.

Right guys?

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Hopefully, Network Vision will take care of this.

Right guys?

I honestly think it will as long as they see it through. Reported 3g speeds on NV towers are pushing 2mbps.

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006
I just preordered the LTE EVO to replace my OG EVO 4G and it looks like the 18th release date is pretty much confirmed because my order ships the 15th. I am quite excited for the upgrade especially after seeing those battery benchmarks on the AT&T One X.

EDIT: Oh, and also excited about being in the first round of the LTE rollout

Alucardd fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 7, 2012

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I honestly think it will as long as they see it through. Reported 3g speeds on NV towers are pushing 2mbps.

If I can get consistent 1mbps on 3G I'll be happy. That's all I want Sprint, you hear me?

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

sanchez posted:

I did the numbers on this vs straight talk for my situation (2 lines, smartphones, currently on EPRP)

Sprint $145/mo = $3480 over 2 years plus $400 for phones = $3880
Straight talk $90/mo = $2160 over 2 years plus $800 for phones = $2960

That's a huge savings and a dramatically better network along with being able to take my phone on vacation and use local sim cards.

I'd probably stick around if the speed was better, Sprint has treated me well and the EVO LTE looks great, but data speeds are so bad now my phone only works 100% of the time for email. Even something like checking traffic on google maps to determine which route to take sometimes takes so long (minutes) I end up in an unnecessary traffic jam.

I'm considering this same option, just because the phone speeds have been so drat slow recently, as has been said in this thread particularly. 4G is very spotty out here where I live (between DC and Baltimore), and my EVO4G cant handle long stints on 4G without the battery going to hell.

Whats the disadvantage going to the straight talk plan? Roaming coverage? If you stick with the AT&T straight talk plan, youre coverage would be good enough for most anything, and presumably your phone would have a swap-able SIM card for international use...having trouble justifying the continued contract extension.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
So I want to use the upgrade for another device on my family plan for myself. What's the cleanest way to do this? Activate a new phone under that account, then swap the phone #s on sprints website somehow?

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007
Anyone waffling on trying out the ICS based ROMs for the E3D, give them a try, phenomenal. They run better than anything I've tried so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

St. Blaize posted:

Anyone waffling on trying out the ICS based ROMs for the E3D, give them a try, phenomenal. They run better than anything I've tried so far.

Yeah but there are a lot of reports of network issues. The Sprint network thinks you you're on Virgin Mobile. It doesn't seem to happen for everyone, but I don't know if it's worth the risk.

And as far as Sprint network speeds go, I'm getting 1.5mbps down and 500k up in NYC. Still takes forever for google maps to load.

FlyingCheese fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 7, 2012