Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Vaginal Engineer posted:

Are you experiencing any performance issues with your current router (e.g. streams buffering)? Also when you say streaming, do you mean of online media, or stuff within your local network?

We have three 360s acting as set-top boxes throughout the house connecting through my main pc for recorded content. The kids use Netflix often as well. We get stutters often enough for me to consider upgrading but I'm not familiar enough with routers to know if there's anything remarkably better out there.

While most of the network is wired we have two laptops, two tablets, three phones and one GoogleTV device going through the wireless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
I'm trying to set up a simple murmur server for myself and a few friends, and I need to forward the correct port, but portforward.com says I need to have a static IP on the server to do this with my particular router(Netgear WNR2000v2). The computer I want to use for this is running Ubuntu, and I read some instructions on how to do this under linux by setting the /etc/network/interfaces file with a specific IP, but was unable to get an internet connection after I did this. Is there something I need to configure in my router to accept a static IP address from my computer?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Bunk Rogers posted:

We have three 360s acting as set-top boxes throughout the house connecting through my main pc for recorded content. The kids use Netflix often as well. We get stutters often enough for me to consider upgrading but I'm not familiar enough with routers to know if there's anything remarkably better out there.

While most of the network is wired we have two laptops, two tablets, three phones and one GoogleTV device going through the wireless.

I don't that I have enough information yet about usage and configuration.

Which devices are in use when you get stuttering? Is everyone using netflix or content from your PC? Note that if the phones are using wireless they're probably connecting at 54mbit/s slowing down all wireless connections. In addition if there are other wireless networks in the area they will slow your connection.

What is your external connection? What speeds up and down? Netflix streaming can use a significant amount of bandwidth if you are on an ASDL connection.

The reason I'm asking these questions is because your router should be able to cope easily.

The Third Man posted:

I'm trying to set up a simple murmur server for myself and a few friends, and I need to forward the correct port, but portforward.com says I need to have a static IP on the server to do this with my particular router(Netgear WNR2000v2). The computer I want to use for this is running Ubuntu, and I read some instructions on how to do this under linux by setting the /etc/network/interfaces file with a specific IP, but was unable to get an internet connection after I did this. Is there something I need to configure in my router to accept a static IP address from my computer?

You should have something set up in the interfaces file like this.

Your settings should match your current settings if you type ifconfig except for the address that you set. Being on the correct subnet, mask and the correct gateway address is important. Often people will set their static ip as a high number etc so that the address won't be issued by the DHCP server. Although you have to check you aren't setting the static ip as the same as another device on the network, this will cause connectivity issues.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 29, 2012

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro

Devian666 posted:

You should have something set up in the interfaces file like this.

Your settings should match your current settings if you type ifconfig except for the address that you set. Being on the correct subnet, mask and the correct gateway address is important. Often people will set their static ip as a high number etc so that the address won't be issued by the DHCP server. Although you have to check you aren't setting the static ip as the same as another device on the network, this will cause connectivity issues.

Yeah, that was pretty much the guide I followed. I was just poking around in my router and discovered that I can just reserve IP address for specific devices, that should make manually setting a static IP on the server irrelevant, right?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Looks like you have the same settings as my router. Use reservation and it should work fine.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

The Third Man posted:

Yeah, that was pretty much the guide I followed. I was just poking around in my router and discovered that I can just reserve IP address for specific devices, that should make manually setting a static IP on the server irrelevant, right?

No.

Your external IP, the one provided to you by your ISP, needs to be a routable IP. That means it isn't in the range 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x or 172.16.x.x If you see either of those three, then you need to talk to them first to get a routable IP assigned. That's fairly uncommon but what is most common is that your router is handling the routable IP assigned by your provider. It then uses network address translation to share that single IP to all the other computers on your network.

Your external, internet-facing IP is whatever your router gets. That's what you give to your friends.

Next, you need to set your game machine to a static location on your internal network so that your port forwards don't go all weird during reboots. If your router uses 192.168.1.x for its local IP's then set yourself to somewhere in that range that isn't in use like: 192.168.1.50

Log into your router, go to the port forwards section and forward the Murmur ports on the outside of the firewall to the IP address of your computer on the inside of the network. That will send any data headed to your external IP destined for that port directly to your PC for processing.

Ta-da, your ports are forwarded.

Classic thing to check on a windows machine - make sure your *local* firewall isn't blocking those ports.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

CuddleChunks posted:

They come with a setup guide. What part are you having problems with?

Edit regarding Ubiquiti issues: said screw putting it in router mode and just did bridge mode.

EconOutlines fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 2, 2012

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I'm running DD-WRT build 14896 on my wrt320n and ive just noticed that none of my access restrictions are working anymore for some reason.

Tbh i've forgotten how to do anything with this router because ive barely had to mess with it. When I check the ddwrt site build 14896 is still the newest version for the wrt320n? Or am I looking in the wrong place?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I posted previously about how I was having trouble with networking through a cabled Zyxel P-660R-D1 connected first to a wireless D-Link DI-524 on G, then to a new D-Link DIR-615 on N, and then finally got it working by connecting all three to each other, running G and N alongside each other. Except my roommates started having trouble soon after, unstable and slow connections. They're in the middle of exams and pretty impatient. So I got our ISP to send us a pre-configured wireless router instead of their old, cabled Zyxel. I took down all the old poo poo and hooked it up. It's a Zyxel P-2601HN-F1. It worked great for about half an hour. Now I can't get online. Signal strength is great and there are no channel conflicts. Both Internet and wireless LEDs are solid green, and my phone is on the network without problems in the same room as my computer.

Please, please, please give me some ideas as to what could be wrong before I take a clawhammer to my own skull and possibly others'.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
What kind of computer are you connecting with (Mac, PC)?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Dogen posted:

What kind of computer are you connecting with (Mac, PC)?

PC running XP 32-bit. Thing is, it worked flawlessly when I first hooked it up, now I can't pull any data through even though the signal strength is good.

Can I set up the DIR-615 as a bridge somehow?

Vaginal Engineer
Jan 23, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

PC running XP 32-bit. Thing is, it worked flawlessly when I first hooked it up, now I can't pull any data through even though the signal strength is good.

Can I set up the DIR-615 as a bridge somehow?

Can the PC access the router page? If not, does the router respond to pings from the PC?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Vaginal Engineer posted:

Can the PC access the router page? If not, does the router respond to pings from the PC?

Yeah, this was going to be my further line of questioning as well.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

In my apartment, I have to disable NAT on my router and let their network assign all my devices IP addresses. There's also some weird port isolation stuff going on with respect to the ethernet jacks in the wall:

quote:

... every building ... will have a form of port isolation implemented on its network equipment. As a result of this change, devices connected directly to the building switches will not be able to view or communicate with one another. While this stops users from seeing devices in neighboring apartments, it also prohibits communication between two ports within the same apartment. This is an immutable consequence of building-wide port isolation. Please note that devices communicating with one another via a hub or AP are completely unaffected by this change.

The XBox is in the bedroom, the computer is in the office. Is it at all possible to use the XBox to stream TVersity content from my desktop? I'd like to avoid having to buy a wireless adapter for the XBox, and would also like to avoid drilling a hole in the wall. The computer in question is Windows 7 64-bit, and the router is an older 500 gB Time Capsule.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
You could probably do it by setting up a DDNS/No-IP account and streaming out to the internet and back. It's a pretty terrible solution becuase it's gonna be slow as hell and if you have bandwidth caps you're hosed.

You could also try to get in with one of the building IT people and get them to turn off the port isolation for your apartment :v:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

How do I make the XBox play from a user-defined IP/host? I can only figure out how to make it play from a (auto-detected) LAN. All the traffic would stay within the university system, which is quite fast, so it shouldn't be a problem if I can point my XBox at my IP or DynDNS hostname.

Streaming from the office to the bedroom worked fine before they implemented port isolation, though the IP addresses (and I believe, though I might be wrong, routes taken by traffic) were the same.

vvv edit: Drat! Thanks all the same! vvv

Achmed Jones fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 4, 2012

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Oh right, I actually kind of glossed over the Xbox part. I'm not sure if it's possible in that situation.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I've been reading router reviews and still can't figure it what router to replace my tomato/54GL with. Is the Asus RT-16N fairly drama free?

edit: ugh, just realized it's 2.4ghz only.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 4, 2012

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Achmed Jones posted:

In my apartment, I have to disable NAT on my router and let their network assign all my devices IP addresses. There's also some weird port isolation stuff going on with respect to the ethernet jacks in the wall:

The XBox is in the bedroom, the computer is in the office. Is it at all possible to use the XBox to stream TVersity content from my desktop? I'd like to avoid having to buy a wireless adapter for the XBox, and would also like to avoid drilling a hole in the wall. The computer in question is Windows 7 64-bit, and the router is an older 500 gB Time Capsule.

What happens if you turn NAT on?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

What happens if you turn NAT on?

The internet goes down and stays that way until I turn it off. Even if it didn't I don't think that would help, though, because then I'd have to make the XBox get through the NAT to connect to the desktop. Not difficult, of course, but the best-case scenario would mean I'd have the same problem. I could, of course, drill a hole in the wall and connect the XBox to the router (or drop $60 on a wireless dongle for the XBox), but I'd rather avoid those if possible.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Achmed Jones posted:

The internet goes down and stays that way until I turn it off. Even if it didn't I don't think that would help, though, because then I'd have to make the XBox get through the NAT to connect to the desktop. Not difficult, of course, but the best-case scenario would mean I'd have the same problem. I could, of course, drill a hole in the wall and connect the XBox to the router (or drop $60 on a wireless dongle for the XBox), but I'd rather avoid those if possible.

I'm wondering why you can't just put all your devices behind the router with NAT and play dumb, because I'm not sure if there's a way to detect that unless you start plugging the uplink into the wrong side of the router, but it sounds like you've also got a problem of distance and you're Xbox isn't plugged into your router.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm wondering why you can't just put all your devices behind the router with NAT and play dumb, because I'm not sure if there's a way to detect that unless you start

I don't know why either, but it doesn't work v:)v Doesn't make sense. Our internet here is extremely hosed - I have to re-login every Monday, and it takes a couple restarts and sometimes all day before the system decides to actually let me go to the login page and stop dropping my packets. Cisco Clean Access always says "Clean Access Server is not available on this network," so I just run a browser with a Linux browser-string and log in with the web form. One would think this process would work through NAT, but it doesn't. Usually I have about 90 seconds after a reboot to log in before it stops working. It is not a firewall issue. My Windows 7 machine acts crazy, but my girlfriend's XP machine is just fine. The whole thing is a clusterfuck, honestly.

quote:

plugging the uplink into the wrong side of the router, but it sounds like you've also got a problem of distance and you're Xbox isn't plugged into your router.

Yes, that's right, the XBox is not plugged into the router. I am asking because before they started this port isolation stuff, the XBox (plugged into the wall in the bedroom) was able to stream just fine from the desktop (plugged into the router with NAT disabled, and the router is plugged into the wall). My neighbors and so on were also on the local network, and visible from within Windows. I am trying to figure out how to stream from an arbitrary-ish IP to an XBox, or how to add a machine that the XBox is, due to the port isolation, unable to locate as part of the LAN.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Achmed Jones posted:

I don't know why either, but it doesn't work v:)v Doesn't make sense. Our internet here is extremely hosed - I have to re-login every Monday, and it takes a couple restarts and sometimes all day before the system decides to actually let me go to the login page and stop dropping my packets. Cisco Clean Access always says "Clean Access Server is not available on this network," so I just run a browser with a Linux browser-string and log in with the web form. One would think this process would work through NAT, but it doesn't. Usually I have about 90 seconds after a reboot to log in before it stops working. It is not a firewall issue. My Windows 7 machine acts crazy, but my girlfriend's XP machine is just fine. The whole thing is a clusterfuck, honestly.

Yes, that's right, the XBox is not plugged into the router. I am asking because before they started this port isolation stuff, the XBox (plugged into the wall in the bedroom) was able to stream just fine from the desktop (plugged into the router with NAT disabled, and the router is plugged into the wall). My neighbors and so on were also on the local network, and visible from within Windows. I am trying to figure out how to stream from an arbitrary-ish IP to an XBox, or how to add a machine that the XBox is, due to the port isolation, unable to locate as part of the LAN.

Do you have to activate all your devices every week or does activating one device activate all the devices you've registered (assuming you have to register them to get access).

You're not going to be able to stream to the Xbox at all unless you route it through some external service, because they're preventing all traffic between hosts on that network.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

Do you have to activate all your devices every week or does activating one device activate all the devices you've registered (assuming you have to register them to get access).

Some devices don't have to be activated, because their MAC is on a whitelist allows sharing etc but (supposedly) disables some stuff used for regular browsing. This may in fact be a lie, and it might be possible to just add my desktop to the whitelist, but I'm not going to try it because there's no way to remove addresses from the list.

quote:

You're not going to be able to stream to the Xbox at all unless you route it through some external service, because they're preventing all traffic between hosts on that network.

Do go on! I'm trying to find a way to stream from an arbitrary IP to my XBox, so if you know how to make this work I'd love to hear! Do you mean like a VPN type thing?

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
If I don't care about third-party firmware, is the D-Link DIR-655 (on sale at Newegg for $60 right now) a good choice? I've heard a lot of good things about it, but I haven't seen it discussed here.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Achmed Jones posted:

Some devices don't have to be activated, because their MAC is on a whitelist allows sharing etc but (supposedly) disables some stuff used for regular browsing. This may in fact be a lie, and it might be possible to just add my desktop to the whitelist, but I'm not going to try it because there's no way to remove addresses from the list.

Do go on! I'm trying to find a way to stream from an arbitrary IP to my XBox, so if you know how to make this work I'd love to hear! Do you mean like a VPN type thing?

Are you at a college? Is this student housing? I bet if you email support and tell them what you're trying to do you're going to get some kid your own age that understands what you want, why you'd want it, and what it takes to make that happen.

The part about not being able to be taken off the whitelist is bullshit, there's a human being somewhere behind that system that can take care of that.

In all my professional IT experience, the only thing I've ever done that couldn't be undone is a handful of things in Active Directory. Anything can be done, undone, redone, etc.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
If anyone is interested, I have been pretty happy with my asus rt-n56u. It didn't have tomato or ddwrt support but a while back some Russian dude started modifying the existing firmware: http://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/

The asus interface is better than most default ones to begin with (except for some bad English) so I don't mind using it. Now though it has updated kernel, optware support, VPN server, full ssh. They pulled drivers for the chipset from another project as well so you can enable experimental hardware NAT over wifi.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

FISHMANPET posted:

Are you at a college? Is this student housing? I bet if you email support and tell them what you're trying to do you're going to get some kid your own age that understands what you want, why you'd want it, and what it takes to make that happen.

The part about not being able to be taken off the whitelist is bullshit, there's a human being somewhere behind that system that can take care of that.

In all my professional IT experience, the only thing I've ever done that couldn't be undone is a handful of things in Active Directory. Anything can be done, undone, redone, etc.

Regarding your bet, you would lose a lot of money. I'm in graduate/family housing. Every time I call, I get an undergrad that reads from a script and ends with either "We can send somebody to your house" (who has the same script, and is unhelpful) or "Reset your router to factory settings" (which, of course, does nothing).

Of course there's a list they can take me off of, I just don't want to deal with asking them to actually do it. It took me an hour on the phone a couple years ago when I bought a new router and its MAC address was on their block list. Please believe me when I stress how incredibly incompetently things are run here. The actual grown-rear end professional network admins are awesome, but the people who make the policies and the kids who run the helpdesk etc. are absolutely useless.

Guess I'll be drilling a hole in the wall! :v:

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Has anyone successfully RMA'd anything through Netgear? I have a GS108T v1 that gets hugely temperamental when I enable flow control so I was thinking of RMAing it, but they seem to want proof of purchase for my, what, 4 year old switch, and me to pay shipping both ways. I'm not sure if it's worth it.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Achmed Jones posted:

Regarding your bet, you would lose a lot of money. I'm in graduate/family housing. Every time I call, I get an undergrad that reads from a script and ends with either "We can send somebody to your house" (who has the same script, and is unhelpful) or "Reset your router to factory settings" (which, of course, does nothing).

Of course there's a list they can take me off of, I just don't want to deal with asking them to actually do it. It took me an hour on the phone a couple years ago when I bought a new router and its MAC address was on their block list. Please believe me when I stress how incredibly incompetently things are run here. The actual grown-rear end professional network admins are awesome, but the people who make the policies and the kids who run the helpdesk etc. are absolutely useless.

Guess I'll be drilling a hole in the wall! :v:

Have you tried spoofing the mac address of the xbox/device you want working to a laptop, registering that, and then unspoofing?

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

I would like to run internet from my basement to the third floor of my townhouse without punching holes in walls. I imagine the best way to do that would be to run a cable up the side of the house and in through the attic and have it plugged into a switch there. Would CAT6 work or should I go with fiber for something like that?

Bunk Rogers fucked around with this message at 15:55 on May 7, 2012

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!

Bunk Rogers posted:

I would like to run internet from my basement to the third floor of my townhouse without punching holes in walls. I imagine the best way to do that would be to run a cable up the side of the house and in through the attic and have it plugged into a switch there. Would CAT6 work or should I go with fiber for something like that?

I'd just run weather-proof CAT6 since it will do 10Gbit.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

IT Guy posted:

I'd just run weather-proof CAT6 since it will do 10Gbit.

Sounds good. I don't suppose it would act as a lightning rod out there though?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Bunk Rogers posted:

Sounds good. I don't suppose it would act as a lightning rod out there though?

That I have no idea about.

Might want to surge protect it right as it comes into the house.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
I'm trying to set up remote access to my computer. I can access it internally without a problem, but I can't seem to be able to access it remotely.

The destination computer is Win7 Ultimate. When I go into my router, I static IP both on the NIC and on the Router. I set port forwarding to that IP with the port number 3390. When I attempt to remote into the computer, it always says that it won't connect. The firewall is temporarily off.

Am I missing something?

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

Gothmog1065 posted:

I'm trying to set up remote access to my computer. I can access it internally without a problem, but I can't seem to be able to access it remotely.

The destination computer is Win7 Ultimate. When I go into my router, I static IP both on the NIC and on the Router. I set port forwarding to that IP with the port number 3390. When I attempt to remote into the computer, it always says that it won't connect. The firewall is temporarily off.

Am I missing something?

Try using telnet on the port and see what happens.

RDP is 3389, are you using a custom port?

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Well, I'm a goddamn retard and can't read.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Residency Evil posted:

Have you tried spoofing the mac address of the xbox/device you want working to a laptop, registering that, and then unspoofing?

Why would I do that? The XBox can connect to the internet just fine. It just can't stream from my desktop because of the port isolation stuff.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!

Roving Reporter posted:

How much do you want for it shipped? You can set up an SA Mart post if you want to make it official or within the rules(?).

Just listed the wndr3700v2 in SA-Mart. Sorry it took so long. Link

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Vaginal Engineer posted:

No and yes. I don't know if the router page is inaccessible due to some fuckery from the ISP, though.