Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
In all honesty it doesn't bother me now that I'm an officer I'd it is done to me, but I definitely shield my soldiers as much as possible. If I really wanted to not do pt I could have because I'm no longer a PL come cob today, I wanted to do it for fun.

Also I've never had anyone say poo poo at Stewart but FLW drill sergeants would flip like psydude said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Probably because people at Stewart can go blow off steam in Savannah whereas people at FLW are stuck in the loving horrible hell that is St. Robert, MO. Oh wait, my bad, you can drive 40 minutes to Rolla and have a beer at that one microbrewery.

25% of the reason I want to rebranch is so that I won't have to go back there for the career course.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
I've been ready to rebranch since I found out I had chem, but for different reasons obviously. Sucks that on active pretty much every branch is closed for transfers. I'm hoping to get a signal functional area so I can pull a TS, grad degree and finally cut and run. Hell at that point ill have 12 years active time in service... :smith:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

So after my post-drill depression drinkathon I'm thinking maybe I should cut that out again so I don't get fat.

Crazy Mike
Sep 16, 2005

Now with 25% more kimchee.
APFT report: 80/74/16'30" for a score of 256. 12 people took the APFT today. 5 passed. I'm going to drill early tomorrow to help some of them with remedial PT.

The guy with the best run time failed sit ups. WTF?

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Pretty normal. Guys who can run like crazy usually have lovely pushup and situp scores. For the life of me, the best run I've completed "11:30" was met with only 65 situps and 58 pushups.

Can't carry around some ballin' rear end 6 packs when you're running sub 6 minute miles.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

You are not allowed to run backward in the army. You should see a hash message soon about this.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

e:^^^ Any good leader would know that you must have a ground guide posted first.

MurderBot posted:

Pretty normal. Guys who can run like crazy usually have lovely pushup and situp scores. For the life of me, the best run I've completed "11:30" was met with only 65 situps and 58 pushups.

Can't carry around some ballin' rear end 6 packs when you're running sub 6 minute miles.

I always found that as my run time improved, so did my situps, because of the strengthening of the hip flexor muscles.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

psydude posted:

e:^^^ Any good leader would know that you must have a ground guide posted first.

I always found that as my run time improved, so did my situps, because of the strengthening of the hip flexor muscles.
As I lost the rest of my excess fat after basic and AIT my setups steadily went down as my run steadily got faster. My first APFT at my unit I maxed my situps and ran like 15:28. The one after my first deployment I got like 70% situps and ran in the 13:00s.

3rdEyeDeuteranopia
Sep 12, 2007

I wasn't joking. Someone is about to die.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Now I'm intrigued. Do tell!

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

3rdEyeDeuteranopia posted:

I wasn't joking. Someone is about to die.
No bro. No. :(

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Ran a Warrior Dash this weekend. Video is here!

25 lbs of bricks and 12 beers. Managed to drink 10 before the finish of the course (drank a lot before the start) and had a grand old time!

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
What kind of pre-workout do you guys recommend? I need something to pick me up during afternoon sessions...

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Cocaine.

Or Jack3d. But you'll have to order it through the mail.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

psydude posted:

Cocaine.

Or Jack3d. But you'll have to order it through the mail.

Eh, I was hoping not to see that. Any other suggestions?

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Ashmole posted:

Eh, I was hoping not to see that. Any other suggestions?

Straight-up caffeine pills should work if you're not a big coffee guy. Actual coffee can work too, but it's got some compounds that actually work as relaxants too as far as I know.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Oh gently caress yea. Squatted 270, deadlifted 385 today. This was coming from being 195lb 5'6" to 165. Took me 8 months but I'm pretty loving stoked with those numbers. GiP will not approve at this--cutting back my booze intake helped a lot with losing weight.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Somehow managed to up my low bar squat from 5/5/4 reps at 285 last week to 5/5/4 at 295 today, I think it might just be because I only had light deadlifts on Wednesday. Still enormously pissed with myself for being a retard and not squatting the first six months or so that I lifted.

HeyEng posted:

Oh gently caress yea. Squatted 270, deadlifted 385 today. This was coming from being 195lb 5'6" to 165. Took me 8 months but I'm pretty loving stoked with those numbers. GiP will not approve at this--cutting back my booze intake helped a lot with losing weight.

Impressive that you made that much progress, while cutting no less. Two questions: High bar or low bar squats, and have you tried deadlifting on separate days?

I've pretty much always done them on different days but I've tried them back to back before and it's never pretty. Even doing high bar instead of low (less posterior chain in high bar, more quads) my deadlift drops like a loving rock and just feels awful. Squats after deadlifting, I have no power at all coming out of the hole.

Actually, third question. Have you accepted magnesium carbonate as your lord and savior?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Squats rule. Deadlifts rule. I can't do anything and haven't been able to for months :( I can't wait until I can get back in the gym. Pain be damned. I'm going to hurt anyways. I don't want to get flabby.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

Deadlifts are great from a military standpoint too. Rucks are a joke if you do deadlifts.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Ashmole posted:

Deadlifts are great from a military standpoint too. Rucks are a joke if you do deadlifts.

Honestly, if it wasn't for 5/3/1 I would have just said gently caress deadlifts a month or two ago. Example: Next week instead of doing 3 sets of 5 at 375 I do 5 x 290, 5 x 335, and 5 or more at 380. Instead of loving hating DL day with every fiber of my being, I actually love it again. Now I just hate these piece of poo poo rusty bars and hex plates.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
Ugh, I went out drinking at a buddy's going away party tonight and I have a 10k race tomorrow morning in 8 hours. Oh well, I guess I carbed up on beer, and I still plan on setting a PR tomorrow.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Tysterisk posted:

Somehow managed to up my low bar squat from 5/5/4 reps at 285 last week to 5/5/4 at 295 today, I think it might just be because I only had light deadlifts on Wednesday. Still enormously pissed with myself for being a retard and not squatting the first six months or so that I lifted.

Impressive that you made that much progress, while cutting no less. Two questions: High bar or low bar squats, and have you tried deadlifting on separate days?

I've pretty much always done them on different days but I've tried them back to back before and it's never pretty. Even doing high bar instead of low (less posterior chain in high bar, more quads) my deadlift drops like a loving rock and just feels awful. Squats after deadlifting, I have no power at all coming out of the hole.

Actually, third question. Have you accepted magnesium carbonate as your lord and savior?

Thanks. I worked really hard cleaning up my diet while lifting smartly. All I can say is rest, eating lots of decent food, and lifting hard is all that it really took. I weightlifted for years but this time there was a lot more research into doing it properly and efficiently that took place.

Low bar squat here. There was a period of time where I basically nixed any gains to go back to re-adjust my form to make sure it was good enough to press on to higher weights. Never tried deadlifting on separate days. My routine is squats, deadlifts, chest (variation of bench work or cable crossovers), pull ups/chin ups, shoulders, and lat stuff every 1 or 2 days. Usually I took two days off in between which helped immensely. It was exhausting at first but this routine works well for me. I've switched from a 5x5 to a bastardized 5/3/1for about a month and a half prior to going for a 1 rep max. Now I can properly do a 5/3/1 knowing these numbers.

I've used chalk occasionally for bench. Hand strength is what limited me severely on deadlifts till I started using straps. My hands are beat to hell from all of the work prior to that though. What I will tell people starting to lift is get the form down right, lift smartly, listen to your body, and eat right. It's not a puzzle to figure out but takes hard work.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

HeyEng posted:

:words:

What the tits... chalk for bench? Use it for deadlifts, you goony bastard. It's function is to make your hands not be greasy and sweaty, plus increase friction between them and the bar. I de-loaded a while back when I started using chalk then slowly worked my way back up double overhand, only using mixed when I absolutely had to. End result: Popeye forearms, and the childish satisfaction of being able to out-man other dudes in a handshake.

As for the routine wharrgarbl, I'd advocate parceling poo poo out into a basic push/pull/legs on non-consecutive days kinda deal. The total body poo poo might work for a while but in the long run doing a 3-day split and focusing on one (or two unrelated) compounds a day will have your lifts going up faster and more consistently. Add in one or two assistance exercises per compound with some iso work after everything else, and you're golden.

quote:

Monday: Front Squats [5/3/1 warm-up, 3x5 working] Flat BB Bench [5/3/1 warm-up, 3x5 working], Weighted Chest Dips [3x8], Incline BB Bench [3x8], DB Curls [3x8], and 21s.

Wednesday: Deadlift [5/3/1], Pull-ups [3xF], Seated Cable Rows [3x8], Kroc Rows [DB cheat rows, really heavy, one set 12-20 reps], Close Grip BB Bench [warm-up, 3x8], and Skullcrushers [3x8].

Friday: Low Bar Squats [5/3/1 warm-up, 3x5 working], Glute-Ham Raise [3x8], OHP [5/3/1], DB OHP [3x8], and Lateral Raises [3x8].

That's the basic gist of what I do. It balances heavy compounds with slightly more volumetric assistance and iso work, distributes it evenly in the week so the next compounds aren't affected by muscular or CNS fatigue from the previous workout, and covers all the bases muscularly speaking. I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's a starting point that you can elaborate on.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Cool. I haven't read up on anything beyond the 5x5 or 5/3/1. Looks good.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

HeyEng posted:

Cool. I haven't read up on anything beyond the 5x5 or 5/3/1. Looks good.

Just wait, before too long you'll be up all night reading sports medicine journals and screaming at people about sarcoplasmic versus myofibrillar hypertrophy.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Ashmole posted:

Love deadlifts and love rucks so double yeah!

pkells posted:

Ugh, I went out drinking at a buddy's going away party tonight and I have a 10k race tomorrow morning in 8 hours. Oh well, I guess I carbed up on beer, and I still plan on setting a PR tomorrow.

You should just go balls out and drink during the 10k.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

Drank a 18 pack, haven't slept in 3days, and did a 5k this morning. Got a lovely time of 25:14 because I ran out of steam 2.3 miles into it. I was doing a 7:45 pace and then just cramped the hell up. Oh well. Back to drinking.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Doing a proper 5/3/1 now. It's a nice break from Starting Strength or a 5x5. GET SWOLE BRO

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

Kaliber posted:

Drank a 18 pack, haven't slept in 3days, and did a 5k this morning. Got a lovely time of 25:14 because I ran out of steam 2.3 miles into it. I was doing a 7:45 pace and then just cramped the hell up. Oh well. Back to drinking.

Thursday starting at noon I drank 1.5 liter bottle of Champagne, passed out at the gym (I was the only one there, the owner had some errands to run), woke up to finish my workout and drank a guiness while doing it, then I went drinking until the midnight showing of avengers. I fell asleep during the avengers but I'd say I still had a good time.

Drunk running and working out is awesome, although I felt like the shittiest poo poo on friday, which is okay because I had the day off.

What I'm saying is we need more stories like yours, Kaliber.

Edit: coach waking me up: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYIpMO-0hX0

Fart Sandwiches fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 6, 2012

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Has anybody tried MusclePharm Assault? Picked up a tub from Amazon (Prime shipping :swoon:) and curious if anybody else has used it and their opinions.

Kaliber
Jun 17, 2005

ok who wrote this comment

Brandon Burns · Purcellville, Virginia
Muscle Pharm is there enough creatine in assault to cause me to pop hot on the army drug test?
Reply · Like · Follow Post · Friday at 5:15pm

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Is creatine even something the DoD pisstests for or even cares about?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

No.

I hear stories about the crazy stims like oxyelite, jack3d, noxplode, etc. from what I gather they're just rumors and discouraged for use.....for now.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

HeyEng posted:

Nope. Creatine is pretty harmless unless you're taking massive amounts of it and you're not hydrating. even then, you should have your camelback on at all times during a heat advisory. No excuses.

In other news: i just did 8,000 meters of 400M and 200M sprints. I almost puked up my Honey Noosa Yoghurt...

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Jimminy loving Christmas, dude. 8000m of sprints is pretty intense.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

HeyEng posted:

Your crew will loving hate your bowels. We had an AST who was all about creatine on deployment.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I upgraded my macbook to an SSD today. That meant browsing my old drive of what to keep or way to get rid of. I found a picture of me right before my knee surgery. I've gotta get back to it. I'm fat as poo poo right now compared to this.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Now you probably look like a real officer.