Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Alright, Finals Week should be over unless I've gone crazy.

I've received orders from the Spider and Hammer 2. Get those orders in, guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Defiance Industries posted:

Let's go with a different derail: if not for the fact Melissa's mother had already sold her off to his best friend, Ardan Sortek would have put his dick in a 14-year-old girl. His colleagues congratulate him, as if not banging minors is a difficult goal to achieve.

Clearly the Federated Suns is even worse than we thought.
It'd be legal in Japan.

MadDogMike posted:

Star Trek style inertialess drives and such get a handwave by default
I've seen fun theories about how Warp drive isn't inertialess, but the artificial gravity prevents anyone noticing.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Arquinsiel posted:

It'd be legal in Japan.

No it wouldn't. The age of consent in almost all Japanese provinces is 18.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
True, but the national age is 13.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Arquinsiel posted:

And medieval marriages often happened at a similar age. Clearly marrying children is a European tradition and such things would be legal in france.

Then again, Hanse Davion's marries Melissa, so maybe it is.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah but she's 18 when they actually get married IIRC.

Point is: this is all a matter of cultural reference frame and sometimes the authors forgot that we're going to view it from ours and go "oh dear god WHAT IS HE DOING TO THAT KID?!"

Seriously, this happens all the time in Macross.....

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Felime posted:

And medieval marriages often happened at a similar age. Clearly marrying children is a European tradition and such things would be legal in france.

Then again, Hanse Davion's marries Melissa, so maybe it is.

Medieval political marriages happened early; everyone else generally married in their mid-twenties, same as now.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

PoptartsNinja posted:

Alright, Finals Week should be over unless I've gone crazy.

I've received orders from the Spider and Hammer 2. Get those orders in, guys.

You haven't gone crazy. I'll have it in tonight.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Arquinsiel posted:

And? No, seriously, this is one of the things that really upsets me. Just because that's the national age doesn't mean you get away with it. By that reasoning, the U.S.A. is even worse because as far as I'm aware of we don't have a national age limit. It's all based on state laws, which are mostly set at 16.

From Wikipedia:

quote:

There exist several federal statutes related to protecting minors from sexual predators, but none of them imposes an age limit on sexual acts.

Sorry to contribute to that. :(

Onean fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 5, 2012

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
On a lighter note, this kind of thing is exactly why people drink on boats on Good Friday in Ireland (when it is illegal to sell booze because dumb).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Let’s Read Warrior: En Garde (part 4)

Book 1
Chapter 7
New Avalon
Crucis March, Federated Suns
27 December 3026

This is odd, compositionally. I never noticed that Chapter 7 took place before chapters 5 and 6 before. It’s not a bad choice, I’m just used to thinking of the events of a Stackpole novel as linear. Anyway, they’re waking up Justin Allard. He was sedated for the trip to New Avalon, apparently (that’s a long time to keep someone sedated; especially on a JumpShip). We also get treated to Justin’s hallucinations as he wakes up, but they’re pretty tame honestly.

Justin wakes up to bandages over his eyes and immediately worries that he’s blind. He asks the doctor to remove the bandages protecting his vision since the drugs he’s on cause pupil dilation. We then learn that Justin thinks in excessively military terms [quote: “Any problem I can see, I can defeat.”].

Justin then learns his arm has been lost and replaced with a godhand ROBOT HAND. :supaburn:

Book 1
Chapter 8
New Avalon
8 January 3027

Politics! In most other series, this chapter would be boring or wouldn’t fit. In BattleTech? It’s par for the course, and fits perfectly.

This chapter also takes place before chapters 5 and 6, although we’re narrowing the gap. We’re introduced to Quintus Allard and Hanse Davion. Quintus nods at a guard and then Hanse comments that he looks worried. We find out he’s got a message from Duke Michael Hasek-Davion, and that Duke Michael has sent ‘representatives’ to New Avalon. Representatives whom Quintus Allard has detained for ‘routine medical checks.’

King Arthur Hanse and Merlin Quintus call for Sir Lancelot Ardan Sortek and they discuss what Mordred Duke Michael is up to. Ardan is immediately suspicious and knows instantly that Duke Michael is involved without Hanse saying word one to him. Anyway, they play the disc and are assaulted by Michael’s personal logo (which is a lion) on a field of green. Ardan comments that it’s looking very Capellan, and Hanse wonders if Michael has been talking with Max Liao (spoiler: yup).

Anyway, Duke Michael then calls Justin Allard a traitor and has assembled a mountain of circumstantial evidence to prove it. He then threatens to pull the Capellan March out of the Federated Suns if Justin isn’t tried for treason because

Anyway, Hanse then seriously considers whether or not Justin actually is a traitor, and consults Quintus about it. He’d rather be certain than not, and Hanse is many things but a fool isn’t one of them. Hanse then decides to use Michael against Max Liao, but we don’t learn his evil plan just yet. Moustache twirl. They decide to feed Michael some slightly inaccurate troop data, to see how Max Liao deploys his defensive forces and see if there really is a leak in the Capellan March (spoiler: there is). Chapter over.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 5, 2012

Andrevian
Mar 2, 2010
Sedated in microgravity for that long?

That boy's going to have all the brain damage.

Sometimes, I wonder if the FedSuns ever considered just giving the Capellan March to the Capellans and washing their hands of it. It would be dumb, but what isn't really, in BT?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The Capellan March is the good one with shipyards and factories. It's the Draconis March you could do that with.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

The Capellan March is the good one with shipyards and factories. It's the Draconis March you could do that with.

And yet, the Draconis March is loyal (fanatically so).

They've been part of House Kurita before. They're not interested in going back to 16 hour work days.

But yeah, nobody in Battletech has ever voluntarily given up territory (until the Republic of the Sphere came along, anyway).

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 6, 2012

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That, and their leadership realizes they're the lovely part of the FS (and that's saying something) and can't stand on their own.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Let’s Read Warrior: En Garde (part 5)

Book 1
Chapter 9
New Avalon
10 January 3027

We’re back with Justin Allard. No brain damage, but the Doctor asks him how his new arm is doing so he does wax maudlin about his new prosthesis and how he’ll never drive a `Mech again. Rather than actually saying so and relieving a little stress, he comments on how well constructed it is and that he’s having difficulty controlling the hand. The Doctor says that’s normal since he doesn’t have any nerves in the hand, and Justin again panics because I’LL NEVER PILOT A `MECH AGAIN :cry:

The Doctor then casually drops that Justin practices Tai Chi (this is a plot point I don’t remember being mentioned so early) and that practice could help, but he’ll never have perfect control. So Justin explodes at him, demands the Doctor call him useless, and that he’ll never pilot again.

The Doctor then tells him that his arm is magic.

It is, since it allows Justin to simulate a `Mech joystick by thinking about it, and has a USB connector that’s plug and play with the ports in BattleMech computers that’re set up for connection to such prosthetics :confused:

Anyway, this means that Justin Allard is now a plug-and-play peripheral.

Just as things are looking up, Justin is attacked by Count Dracula :drac: confronted by Count Vitos of New Syrtis, who threatens Justin’s Doctor, then calls Justin a traitor and has him arrested on the spot. CHAPTER CLIFFHANGER!

Book 1
Chapter 10
Tharkad
District of Donegal, Lyran Commonwealth
10 October 3026

I think this chapter takes place before every other chapter in the book save the prologue. Weird. We’re with Simon Johnson and Katrina Steiner now, who are fellating Stackpole discussing the events of The Sword and The Dagger (specifically, Hanse’s body double). It’s pretty long winded, but long story short they decide to create a body double for Melissa Steiner.

We then cut to Jeana Clay, a random trooper in the Lyran Guards who, since we haven’t had a time jump, is abducted that very day from her apartment by LOKI operatives on orders of Katrina Steiner.

We then cut to a LOKI operative posing as a doctor telling Jeana’s neighbor that she died of a heart attack. Chapter over.

Still think the Lyran Commonwealth is a nice place to live, guys?

Book 1
Chapter 11
Tharkad
District of Donegal, Lyran Commonwealth
11 January 3027

HOLY gently caress! Jeana’s been drugged and unconscious for three loving months! I feel bad for her muscle mass, and I’ve honestly never noticed that date before! I don’t feel quite so bad for Justin anymore.

Katrina Steiner then explains very politely what the gently caress is going on, then offers Jeana a job as Melissa’s human shield body double. Turns out Jeana is with Heimdall and agrees to this idiotic plan immediately despite Heimdall existing due to the populace’s desire to not be abducted by LOKI.

We then cut to the 24th Lyran Guards who are having a funeral for Jeana Clay (three months after her death of heart attack?)

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

PoptartsNinja posted:

We then cut to the 24th Lyran Guards who are having a funeral for Jeana Clay (three months after her death of heart attack?)

Did LOKI abduct someone else to fill in for Jeana at the funeral, in true swallowed a spider to catch the fly style?

Why not just offer her a job for, you know, money?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That whole part makes no loving sense, considering Simon Johnston was a Heimdall member and Jeana was Lyran military. There was literally no reason to do any of that except that Stackpole loves sedating people and didn't bother to read the Steiner house book that spells out Johnston's being Alessandro Steiner's second most hilarious mistake.

Here's how it would have gone if they were sensible.
-Katrina has Jeana "transferred" and secretly meets with her
-"Hey what's up I'm the Archon and I have a secret mission!"
"Okay cool, I'm in. Beats being infantry."
-Katrina has someone else file paperwork saying she was in a car crash or something.

But no, Stackpole has them unnecessarily kidnap people.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Did LOKI abduct someone else to fill in for Jeana at the funeral, in true swallowed a spider to catch the fly style?

Why not just offer her a job for, you know, money?

Because that would be the easy/non-rear end in a top hat way of doing things, and we will have no truck with such things in Battletech :moreevil:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Because that would be the easy/non-rear end in a top hat way of doing things, and we will have no truck with such things in Battletech :moreevil:
Basically this. If there is a way to make poo poo more complex then Battletech will stick it in TacOps.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

-Katrina has someone else file paperwork saying she was in a car crash or something.

I know the answer is 'because Battletech', but why even bother with the car crash theatrics?

Just give her a posting to either the special forces, LOKI itself or Steiner's body guard. If today someone said 'hey I got that Delta force "Light Infantry" posting I always wanted, see you suckers at Christmas!' or "I'm going to go work for ASISI mean Foreign Affairs" no-one would think twice about it. :psyboom:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Just give her a posting to either the special forces, LOKI itself or Steiner's body guard.

Except it's Battletech. Jeana was already a `Mechwarrior, what else is there to aspire to?

... Also, there is a reason for the theatrics, sort of. I mean, it's a terrible reason and we'll see it soon-ish, but yeah. Reason.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 7, 2012

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Battletech is the kid who eats paste and only has imaginary friends, isn't it?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I kinda think that based on the timing we're meant to infer that a few months took place between the meeting and Jeanna's kidnapping, "death", and funeral.

Granted that's a problem in of itself because each chapter is usually only covering a fairly brief period in time and all, but still.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

Except it's Battletech. Jeana was already a `Mechwarrior, what else is there to aspire to?

... Also, there is a reason for the theatrics, sort of. I mean, it's a terrible reason and we'll see it soon-ish, but yeah. Reason.

I presume the special forces in Battletech use Giant Robots! So I guess you could aspire to having two atlases fused together as your personal ride. No expense spared in the protection of the Archon.

Edit: Now I'm imagining the Archon ghost riding an Atlas.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Let’s Read Warrior: En Garde (part 6)

Book 1
Chapter 12
New Avalon
20 January 3027

New Avalon means Justin. Shall we watch him torpedo his own trial in only three chapters? Count Vitos calls Leftenant Clueless Andrew Redburn to the chair. Remember him? Anyway, we then learn the reason why religion doesn’t play a huge role in Battletech as Andrew Redburn is sworn in with a copy of, quote: “The Unfinished Book”. Which is later undermined by the Southwesterners blending something like seven different religions “harmoniously.”

Redburn notes that Justin looks guilty as hell (in not so many words), since he’s staring straight ahead and doing his best to look completely without emotion. He’s so busy staring at Justin that he misses Count Vitos Dracula’s first question (off to a great start, Andrew).

Dracula grills Redburn about Justin’s unwillingness to join the recruits on any other training exercises before the ambush. Redburn makes a good point, then completely neuters it by commenting on the ‘unrest’ in the training battalion. Dracula suggests that the battalion was upset because of Phillip Capet’s dismissal. Which is true.

Dracula then adds that the troops were also pissed because Justin Allard was making friendly with the natives (who are, I need to point out, Citizens of the Federated Suns). Rather than pointing this out, Justin’s attorney objects on the grounds that Dracula is leading the witness.

Dracula rephrases, and Andrew Redburn—well, see for yourself.

En Garde posted:

“Leftenant, did Major Allard visit with indigs on any sort of regular basis?”

“I suppose he did.”

“Indeed, Leftenant, he did. Have you forgotten the Community Relations Committee meetings each week? Have you forgotten how he liked to take his first meal in the restaraunts of Shaoshan upon returning from field exercises? Have you forgotten his hiring indigs to work as personal servants in his home?”

Redburn looked down at the polished wood-tile floor. “No, sir.”

Thanks, Andy. Thanks a lot.

What’s wrong with working with the neighborhood watch, eating in local restaraunts, and hiring the planetary population for work, anyway? I mean really, if Redburn hadn’t acted like it was something to be ashamed of, I doubt anyone on New Avalon would’ve cared in the slightest.

Dracula then drops the bombshell that Justin Allard was having regular meetings with the leader of the local Tong, which the Federated Suns had declared a subversive Capellan organization; and that he’d likewise introduced Andrew Redburn to that leader. Redburn counters with a joke.

No seriously, and it’s godawful.

En Garde posted:

“Sir, we MechWarriors bake inside our machines. None of us want to eat anything that’s been cooked in the same oven if we can avoid it. Remember, sir, that government contracts go to the lowest bidder, which says a lot about the quality of rations, especially out on the frontier.”

Courtney [The Judge] gaveled the courtroom’s laughing spectators back to order, and Redburn took heart when even Justin’s distant and harsh expression had lightened a bit.

This is not good dialogue. This isn’t even really a joke.

Anyway, Dracula then goes over the events of the ambush, and points out that Justin’s warning call was absolutely retarded. Redburn agrees that yes, yes it was. Then the judge calls for a recess, and tells Justin’s defense attorney to go gently caress himself since Prince Hanse Davion is throwing a reception in Andrew Redburn’s honor and he doesn’t want “The Prince’s Guest” too badgered to attend. Also, because Stackpole couldn’t think of any good cross-examination questions for the defense attorney.

Chapter over.

Book 1
Chapter 13
New Avalon
22 January 3027

Fun fact, 13’s my favorite number.

Other fun fact: 13 isn’t my favorite chapter.

Justin talks with his lawyer for a page but the net result is: Justin’s attorney won’t put Justin on the stand, since Vitos “made mincemeat” of Andrew Redburn. The defense’s attempts to redeem Redburn as a witness we didn’t get to see, because courtroom drama is hard.

:objection:

Is, with complete honesty, how the next section of this chapter opens up; since Dracula is trying to show “testimony” holovid tapes (yes, tapes) of people who aren’t present and can’t be cross-examined. It’s—actually a fair point, but the attorney bungles badly by calling Dracula “Duke Hasek’s personal hatchet man” so the Judge agrees to allow the tapes (really?) to be presented. Phoenix Wright he ain’t.

Dracula’s’ taped testimony confirms that Justin’s Valkyrie did engage something with an autocannon—but he suggests the attacker must’ve been an Urbanmech. Which Justin’s attorney has stricken since there’s no actual question involved. Regardless as to whether it was a Rifleman or an Urbanmech, the point remains that Justin was ambushed by something—and yet his attorney doesn’t think that point’s salient enough to mention.

But hey, Quintus Allard is actually on the stand and according to evidence presented by the interrogation of Shang Dao (remember this vitally important character?), it was confirmed Justin’s attacker was indeed an UrbanMech.

Oh, and we also learn at some point that, during the battle, Justin was ONLY HALF A KILOMETER AWAY FROM HIS TROOPS AND COULD HAVE TOLD THEM WHAT HE WAS DOING AT ANY TIME. Seriously. Half a goddamned kilometer, Justin? And nobody bothered to look over the back side of that goddamned hill?

Uncontrollable eyelid spasm.

Anyway, Dracula continues to grill Quintus. Shang Dao reports that yes, Justin Xiang Allard was a secret Capellan agent known as “Xiangya;” and then points out that Justin’s security phrase (quote: “Zhe jian fang tai xiao”), which is supposed to translate to “this room is too small” is an admonition among the Tongs that someone may be listening, and that care must be taken.

Oh, and Justin’s attorney’s cross examination is a single question.

En Garde posted:

“Mr. Allard, do you believe your son is a traitor?”

Quintus looked down at his shoes. “I don’t know. I just don’t know.”

Welp. See you at the hanging, Justin.

Book 1
Chapter 14
New Avalon
30 January 3027

Justin again demands to be put on the stand. His lawyer comments that it’s a stupid idea, but Justin is adamant even though “Vitos will Crucify him.” Justin doesn’t give a poo poo, and states an intention to go loving batshit on the courtroom, which his lawyer points out is an incredibly stupid idea. So Justin threatens to fire him.

Justin takes a single jab at Vitos, and the Count goes off the deep end. No, seriously.

En Garde posted:

The prosecutor raked fingers back through his thin brown hair, and wiped flecks of spittle from the corners of his mouth. “You take the stand and have your attorney feed you questions so that you can trot out your unsubstantiated fabrication of a battle with a `Mech three times the size of your Valkyrie (PTN’s notes: the Rifleman is only slightly more than double the Valkyrie’s weight). Then you ask us to believe that story. But I know the real truth, you lying son of a Capellan slut, and so does everyone in this courtroom!”

Which is precisely when Hanse Davion enters and tells Count Vitos to crawl up his own rear end in a top hat and die go gently caress himself, the trial is goddamned over. Hanse then demands to address the court, and tells Count Vitos to get the gently caress off of New Avalon. Hanse then calls the trial a travesty, encourages respect for the Capellan enemy, and then suggests that Justin should be spared the death penalty even if he must be stripped of command and rank.

Justin, of course, finds this unacceptable—because the only thing better than piloting a Battlemech is leading a bunch of them (which is why, when given an opportunity to do so, he hosed off and let Redburn take over). Justin rakes Hanse Davion over the coals, and Hanse points out that, why yes, he can have Justin summarily executed regardless of the Tribunal’s findings (still want to live here, guys?), so he’d better watch his goddamned mouth.

Justin spits (literally, because the ham-handed display is important you see) on Hanse Davion’s offer. So Hanse declares Justin Xiang Allard a non-person. Since this is actually relevant to my thread, well:

En Garde posted:

“What you offer me is as much a life as this is a hand! You flatter yourself to imagine I might be grateful.” Justin stared at Hanse Davion, fury making his eyes shine with a malevolent light. “What is it, then, Prince Davion? Do you want to keep me as you do Ardan Sortek? Is not one captive MechWarrior enough?” Justin spat on the floor. “The life you offer me is as shallow as House Davion’s conception of justice!” His anger spent, Justin cradled his lifeless arm against his chest and trembled.

Immobile as a statue, Hanse Davion stood within the silence that settled heavily over the room. Finally, he nodded slightly, the motion growing as he gathered his thoughts. “Very well, Justin Allard. I will give you what you most desire.”

The prince turned on his heel and stared up at Courtney. “Sentence him as you will. It makes no difference. I will strip him of his rank and commute any sentence to a lifetime in exile.” The Prince turned again, this time picking out Quintus Allard among the crowd. “You, Quintus Allard, no longer have a son named Justin. He no longer exists, and no one will ever speak his name to me again.”

So yeah, that happened.

Anyway, we then cut to Redburn and Ardan Sortek. Andrew Redburn is playing apologist for Justin. We then learn that Justin is being dumped on transported to Solaris VII. Ardan Sortek then demands that Andrew Redburn join him on a trip to Tharkad, and Andrew can’t refuse because Hanse Davion’s orders (so his training battalion will have to languish with no leadership for 3-6 more months). Nothing could possibly go wrong!

Book 1
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Echo V
Pesht Military District, Draconis Combine
1 January 3027

Lots of Japanese Culture is Strange and Alien happens. A non-Haiku is displayed. End result? Yorinaga Kurita is once again not allowed to commit Seppuku, however, he is recommissioned to lead a unit called the Genyosha: The Black Wave, a group trained in purely Draconis Combine tactics to combat the X-Men and other Mutants Kell Hounds (and the Kell Hounds specifically). Edit: Also, they have tea.

It is, of course, made up of one Warhammer, one Dragon (eventually), and a metric fuckton of Panthers. But that comes in later chapters. END OF BOOK 1!

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 07:39 on May 7, 2012

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Arquinsiel posted:

I've seen fun theories about how Warp drive isn't inertialess, but the artificial gravity prevents anyone noticing.

It's not the artificial gravity, it's the inertial dampeners. :science:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Mmm, the Warrior book is just as batshit :psyduck:/:argh: as I remember. :allears: Wish I could find my copies.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Warrior is the only book i've read or tried to read because honestly I couldn't make myself like it. Only Battletech i've read and liked has been fanfiction.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Warrior Trilogy was a bit too unfocused, honestly. It could've stood to have fewer characters. Stackpole was trying to make the universe seem big, and he succeeded (mostly), but there's a lot going on and it's hard to follow if you're new to BattleTech.

My first BattleTech books were Malicious Intent and Star Lord. Much, much worse place to start off (and yet, better, since Star Lord is an easy jumping off point to get in universe since it's focused and fun).

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
You know Poptarts, I don't think anyone's ever said they wanted to live in the Federated Suns or the Lyran Commonwealth (except maybe Defiance Industries). They were just arguing that they're better places to live than the Draconis Combine or the Capellan Confederation. And they are.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
My first Battletech book was when I borrowed my friend's copy of Call of Duty. A while later I discovered the Jade Phoenix Trilogy in a bookstore. Eventually I worked my way back in time to the Warrior Trilogy.

The books are surprisingly rad when you are 17.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

paragon1 posted:

You know Poptarts, I don't think anyone's ever said they wanted to live in the Federated Suns or the Lyran Commonwealth (except maybe Defiance Industries). They were just arguing that they're better places to live than the Draconis Combine or the Capellan Confederation. And they are.

Well, I know I have descendants in the ruling elite. Might suck for you but I'm set.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Warrior Trilogy was a bit too unfocused, honestly. It could've stood to have fewer characters. Stackpole was trying to make the universe seem big, and he succeeded (mostly), but there's a lot going on and it's hard to follow if you're new to BattleTech.

My first BattleTech books were Malicious Intent and Star Lord. Much, much worse place to start off (and yet, better, since Star Lord is an easy jumping off point to get in universe since it's focused and fun).

The Warrior Trilogy isn't terrible by the standards of pulp sci-fi from the 80's. Stackpole isn't going to win any awards for his prose and storytelling, but he's also not a total hack like some of his peers (*cough* Kevin J. Anderson *cough*).

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

PoptartsNinja posted:

The Warrior trilogy is still better than the Return of Kerensky trilogy. In Stackpole's universe, surnames work like power-ups for Mary Sue characters.

Star Lord is fun in a zany 1980's action film way. If you're going to have a bad guy, you might as well go for the gold. The heroes are a diverse team of misfits that are brought together by fate to save the entire Inner Sphere.

I also liked the nods to some of the old sourcebooks, like the Warhammer/Rifleman hybrid.

Congratulations! You Won.
Mar 21, 2007

THE FUTURE IS UNWRITTEN

PoptartsNinja posted:

(and yet, better, since Star Lord is an easy jumping off point to get in universe since it's focused and fun).

Funny, that's almost the exact opposite of what I feel about Star Lord. I mean, the first third is basically "Oh no, I'm A FedCom/FWL/Clan Mechwarrior and I just lost my unit to mysterious raiders! Time to somehow end up on Galatea!" After that, the rest of the novel reads like someone trying to convert an RPG campaign to novel form and failing pretty badly. And it doesn't seem that friendly to new readers, considering you get someone from almost every major faction and there's references to the Star League/Amaris Coup stuff.

There's a reason that the book has two authors; Donald G. Phillips is on the cover, but Blane Lee Pardoe is credited inside and according to his blog he rewrote large portions of it (9th paragraph.) It certainly reads that way, considering parts of it feel like they are written by different people and overall it's very poorly paced.

It's not the worst story idea, but it could have been done a hell of a lot better. Maybe if it went full-on 80's action movie, instead of getting bogged down in following an entire 'Mech tournament or retelling nearly the same origin story three times. Then again, one of the first BattleTech books I read was Main Event, and I enjoyed it, so :v:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I presume the special forces in Battletech use Giant Robots!
A major draw of being a Death Commando is that you get not one but TWO personal mechs.

Grand Fromage posted:

It's not the artificial gravity, it's the inertial dampeners. :science:
It dampens the inertial and makes it fall down at 1G instead of back :psuedo:

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

My first book was Highlander Gambit it had awesome scottish people doing awesome poo poo in mechs against the big bad davion menance and it had the one lone death commando being a badass mary sue as he smacks people around with his awesomeness.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

Ferrosol posted:

My first book was Highlander Gambit it had awesome scottish people doing awesome poo poo in mechs against the big bad davion menance and it had the one lone death commando being a badass mary sue as he smacks people around with his awesomeness.

Funny enough, this was also my first BattleTech book I ever read. I agree that it's pretty over the top with Jaffray's awesomeness and everybody but those dastardly FedComs (seriously there's a Snidely Whiplash motherfucker in the FedCom team) acknowledging said awesomeness, but it's still a fun read for Space Scottish adventures. However, after recently re-reading it I am struck with just how much of the book makes no loving sense when you look at it through the lens of other BT fiction. A major plot point at the beginning of the book is how much of a big deal the mission is to Sun-Tzu Liao who authorizes Jaffray to sacrifice anything to neutralize the Northwind Highlanders. Even telling Jaffray to sacrifice his "own personal honor" to do so.

Honor.

For a member of the fanatically loyal state-sponsored special operations soldier of the BattleTech universe, the Death Commandos. A Death Commando's "honor," if such a thing exists, is doing what the gently caress they're told to by the Chancellor of the Confederation and no one else. I sincerely doubt that the most hardcore of the hardcore motherfuckers of the Confederation would allow even a snippet of divided loyalties through their training process.

poo poo, there's even a bunch of stuff when Liao first meets Jaffray after an exercise where Loren keeps going on and on about how he's "just a soldier" and not a political animal, as BT protags are wont to do. Which is doubly funny considering that the Death Commandos are balls-deep in politically-minded operations on behalf of the Confederation.

Of course, it's just one of the many little weird things in that book, like Jaffray being a part of the 2nd Death Commandos, even though there's only a battalion of them. Or how William McLeod sees a Huron Warrior as an upgrade from a loving Gallowglas 'Mech.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
When he says "not a political animal" he doesn't mean he's not involved in political actions, he means that Sun Tzu points and he kills without wondering what the end goal is.

• Locked thread