Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Not that necessary really, harvestable alchemy ingredients keep respawning. Also you have the nekker cave in act1 if you need to farm.

Oh, also drop 1 point in riposte, you'll thank me in act 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Soothing Vapors posted:

Quick question: does completing the Contract quests in flotsam prevent the associated monster type from spawning? Should I farm the poo poo out of them for sweet sweet bomb ingredients before I turn them in, or is that not really necessary in this game?

Monsters wont stop spawning completely but I believe it may cause fewer to appear. Even so nekkers also spawn in the cave behind the waterfall and the cave near flotsoms docks.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
Cool, thanks guys. Yeah I'm definitely gonna take riposte.

SpRahl posted:

Even so nekkers also spawn in the cave behind the waterfall and the cave near flotsoms docks.

Awesome, I didn't know they respawned there.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

RBA Starblade posted:

Alright, thanks, I'll do that.

How long does the tutorial last? I got to the wave where the giant guys started appearing before going down. I'm not used to having so little health! Also its really annoying trying to aim knives on a controller. Does mouse sensitivity also affect stick sensitivity? It's a little touchy.

I think you can just quick throw knives like you can quick throw bombs and it will aim for the closest target. I'm not sure if you do more damage with the knives if you do precise aiming.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Cool, thanks guys. Yeah I'm definitely gonna take riposte.

Awesome, I didn't know they respawned there.

The Endregas have something I would stock up on if you can. Their embryos contain the alchemical base Fulgur which is fairly rare. You'll really only need it if you want to make Tawny Owl/Lapwing potions. I use them a lot cause they increase vigor regen. They're very rare once you blow up the nests, though they can be found in Act 2 and 3.

Torsade de Pointes fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 6, 2012

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Torsade de Pointes posted:

The Endregas have something I would stock up on if you can. Their embryos contain the alchemical base Fulgur which is fairly rare. You'll really only need it if you want to make Tawny Owl/Lapwing potions. I use them a lot cause they increase vigor regen. They're very rare once you blow up the nests, though they can be found in Act 2 and 3.

I could have sworn I read somewhere that lures for the appropriate monster types caused them to spawn and come for the lure so you could hunt monsters that way. I've never tried it myself, so I don't know one way or the other for sure.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Where the heck does TW2 put it's saves? the witcher2/gamesaves folder is empty for me, I just want to delete the 5000 autosaves the game made so far.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
On my copy of Windows 7 with the GoG EE installed it's under My Documents/Witcher 2/gamesaves

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Yeah, but that path is empty for me which is weird. Oh well, deleted all autosaves manually...

Also can I get out of Loc Muinne on Iorveths path? The wall I came in from is too high and everything is hostile/locked. I get the feeling I missed something outside.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

FrickenMoron posted:

Also can I get out of Loc Muinne on Iorveths path? The wall I came in from is too high and everything is hostile/locked. I get the feeling I missed something outside.
I think that the only thing you'd miss is Deithwen. Did you pick that up?

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

FrickenMoron posted:

Where the heck does TW2 put it's saves? the witcher2/gamesaves folder is empty for me, I just want to delete the 5000 autosaves the game made so far.

For my Steam version, the saves are in "/Steam/userdata/[number]/20920/remote" where [number] is your Steam Account number (I think). I only have one folder there anyhow.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Lycus posted:

I think that the only thing you'd miss is Deithwen. Did you pick that up?

Nah, I was able to finish the game rather easily with the chapter 3 dark armor set though. Level 35, specced in magic/sword arts and the mutagen bonus in alchemy.

Chapter 3 still seemed rather lackluster, even with that EE extra quest.
In my first game I went with Roche and killed Henselt, helped Triss and killed both Saskia and Letho in the end.
This time I went with Iorveth and decided to help Saskia instead of Triss and let Letho go his way.

I think I still preferred Roches path overall.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
God damnit, I actually went out of my way to get the troll tongue this time and still managed to miss Melitele's Heart in Act 1. I think Dark Mode is just making me overlook all the regular items.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Torsade de Pointes posted:

I think you can just quick throw knives like you can quick throw bombs and it will aim for the closest target. I'm not sure if you do more damage with the knives if you do precise aiming.

Yeah, I'm kind of wishing I hadn't completed the Endrega contract right now. Fulgur and Aether are really hard to come by where I am. I think one of the firebombs takes Fulgur.

Grapeshot and Zerrikan Sun are so awesome though that I almost don't care. Zerrikan Sun can be made entirely from farming Nekkers and it's ridiculously good against the poo poo I'm fighting

NeurosisHead posted:

I could have sworn I read somewhere that lures for the appropriate monster types caused them to spawn and come for the lure so you could hunt monsters that way. I've never tried it myself, so I don't know one way or the other for sure.
Where do you get lures?

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Where do you get lures?

Cedric sells them I believe. Honestly, I've never used them before. I'm not sure if they're reusable. They seem rather cost inefficient if they just work once.

Edit: I don't think they actually cause monsters to spawn either.

Torsade de Pointes fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 6, 2012

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Soothing Vapors posted:

Yeah, I'm kind of wishing I hadn't completed the Endrega contract right now. Fulgur and Aether are really hard to come by where I am. I think one of the firebombs takes Fulgur.

Grapeshot and Zerrikan Sun are so awesome though that I almost don't care. Zerrikan Sun can be made entirely from farming Nekkers and it's ridiculously good against the poo poo I'm fighting

Have you done the hospital quest yet? You can get some fulgur from the wraiths there.

I'm kind of annoyed by the distribution of alchemy ingredients in general. You end up with way more vitriol than you could possibly need while painfully scrounging up enough quebrith for your next Thunderbolt potion (two doses per potion! Do you think I'm made of endrega teeth, game? :argh:).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How am I supposed to fight guys with shields? It seems whether or not I trap them, use signs, or parry (no ripostes yet), it's a random chance whether or not they still block me.

Also the art style of the animated cutscenes isn't nearly as good as in Witcher 1.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

RBA Starblade posted:

How am I supposed to fight guys with shields? It seems whether or not I trap them, use signs, or parry (no ripostes yet), it's a random chance whether or not they still block me.

If you Aard them, you can get 3-4 hits in before they'll block. If they go down to one knee, go behind them and you can almost assuredly take them out before they get back up.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Also the art style of the animated cutscenes isn't nearly as good as in Witcher 1.

Shield guys are basically there to soak your attacks and knock you down with counter hits while their friends murder you. They can take a beating but don't represent much of a threat offensively, so it's generally a good idea to kill whatever other enemies you're facing first (shield guys are pretty slow, so you should be able to separate them from the pack if you maneuver around for a bit). When it's time to kill them, just attack them from behind and they won't be able to block. If you're facing a bunch of them at once, use Yrden or Axii to break up the group. Explosives also work well.

Shield guys become much more dangerous in confined spaces. You don't want to let yourself get cornered, because getting out without being hacked to bits in the process is a pain, so if you're fighting them in a corridor or whatever you may want to kill them first. If you can't get into position for backstabs, use a riposte or a ranged attack (Aard, Igni, knives, bombs) to break their guard. You should have time for one or two hits before they get their shield up again. This isn't a very efficient way of killing them, but it beats hitting their shields and getting counter-hit like a chump.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

In regards to Act 1, when I first arrived in Flotsam, Loredo told me to come visit him at night. I hosed around & did a bunch of quests during the daytime (including the Hungover quest) and after winning the fistfights in the inn, I took up the guy's offer for richer fighting. This took me into Loredo's place for his Fight Club where I pissed him off by not taking a dive, and now whenever I go up to his door at night, the door is always locked.

Am I just missing the proper time to go see him (it says to go see him at dusk) or have I accidentally cut myself off from that initial quest (an Indecent Proposal)?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Jerusalem posted:

In regards to Act 1, when I first arrived in Flotsam, Loredo told me to come visit him at night. I hosed around & did a bunch of quests during the daytime (including the Hungover quest) and after winning the fistfights in the inn, I took up the guy's offer for richer fighting. This took me into Loredo's place for his Fight Club where I pissed him off by not taking a dive, and now whenever I go up to his door at night, the door is always locked.

Am I just missing the proper time to go see him (it says to go see him at dusk) or have I accidentally cut myself off from that initial quest (an Indecent Proposal)?

Talk to the guards at the gate.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

RBA Starblade posted:

Also the Yrden stun sign works great, you can also you use the riposte special ability if you have it.

I really miss the older 2D storyboard way of doing things, the new Flash-esque style cutscenes are Mirrors Edge in a bad sort of way.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Agreed, the Witcher 2 looks extremely good in-game but the stylized cutscenes are not especially nice to look upon I think. The art in the first game's cutscenes was really good and really gave a nice feel to the game. Even the famed sex-cards had really nice art in them. After seeing the sex-scene with Ves, I think I actually prefer the cards.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Coughing Hobo posted:

Talk to the guards at the gate.

:doh:

Man do I feel like an idiot. I blame Dandelion somehow.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Leinadi posted:

After seeing the sex-scene with Ves, I think I actually prefer the cards.

Or the ridiculous succubus sex scene.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
I'm having a problem in the prologue (The castle assault bit). After each cutscene all my equipment gets reset - All the extra items I've picked up have disappeared and even the enhancements have popped right out of my sword. Is this a known problem, or am I a unique snowflake?

I'm importing a witcher 1 save, btw. This is on the Gog version.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

DoctorTristan posted:

I'm having a problem in the prologue (The castle assault bit). After each cutscene all my equipment gets reset - All the extra items I've picked up have disappeared and even the enhancements have popped right out of my sword. Is this a known problem, or am I a unique snowflake?

I'm importing a witcher 1 save, btw. This is on the Gog version.
Yeah, that is the case. it's a tutorial stage, you aren't supposed to be messing around with equipment yet really.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Is there a reason why Newboy's talisman is so easy to miss? I picked the option that didn't make Geralt out to be a complete rear end in a top hat and ended up missing an entire quest in Chapter 1 because he didn't hand the drat thing over. Luckily you can just mod it into the witch's inventory, but still that seems a mite odd.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, that is the case. it's a tutorial stage, you aren't supposed to be messing around with equipment yet really.

Great, thanks.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Perfect Potato posted:

Is there a reason why Newboy's talisman is so easy to miss? I picked the option that didn't make Geralt out to be a complete rear end in a top hat and ended up missing an entire quest in Chapter 1 because he didn't hand the drat thing over. Luckily you can just mod it into the witch's inventory, but still that seems a mite odd.

You only get the amulet if you let him get killed or tell him its cursed. The Reavers keep the amulet if you tell them its magical in some way and possibly harmful.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

SpRahl posted:

You only get the amulet if you let him get killed or tell him its cursed. The Reavers keep the amulet if you tell them its magical in some way and possibly harmful.

Yeah no, you can find his body after you escape the prison and it has the amulet on it.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah no, you can find his body after you escape the prison and it has the amulet on it.

Thats what I said? You have three options when you talk to Newboy.

Seems ok to me
Itll kill ya dude better give it to me
Its magical but I dont know in what way.

Picking the last option results in Newboy living and the Reavers keeping the amulet, while the first 2 net you the amulet either right then or at the end of the prologue.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

SpRahl posted:

Thats what I said? You have three options when you talk to Newboy.

Seems ok to me
Itll kill ya dude better give it to me
Its magical but I dont know in what way.

Picking the last option results in Newboy living and the Reavers keeping the amulet, while the first 2 net you the amulet either right then or at the end of the prologue.
No, with the third option, the way to get the amulet is to be a gently caress-up during your escape by going up the stairs before Newboy has the chance to lead the guards away. The guards attack you, and he's forced to fight you too to keep up appearances, just as he said he would earlier. Once you kill him, you can loot it off him.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 7, 2012

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I never had the chance to do the Melitele's Heart quest because at some point I have to be rear end in a top hat Geralt. Well, there is a small window that I can complete it, but I was playing through on Dark mode and I didn't feel like reloading to get to the appropriate vendor NPC.

Goddamn, Alchemy spec has to be my favorite. Crazy potion combinations and all.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Vargatron posted:

I never had the chance to do the Melitele's Heart quest because at some point I have to be rear end in a top hat Geralt.

Really? I just told him that it seems to bring trouble and they handed it over to me. And I was right because it has a negative affect in it's inventory description, I believe.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

For some reason, I would give them that response and I would never get the medal. I always got the book about dragons instead. Maybe I didn't pick that option like I thought I did...

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Vargatron posted:

For some reason, I would give them that response and I would never get the medal. I always got the book about dragons instead. Maybe I didn't pick that option like I thought I did...

If you chose the right response you should get the amulet immediately and the book at the end of the prologue (assuming your not trying to get him killed}

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh that lead into a quest did it? I told him it was magic but I didn't know what sort (the truth!) and he decided to wear his armor. Later on he thanked me for saving his life and provided a distraction for my escape, and I assume he still had the amulet on him.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Yeah you either have to get it off his corpse one way or another, or lie to him and say that it's cursed (or have outside game knowledge and know that poo poo is actually messed up). If you're on Chapter 1 and on the PC there's a mod that'll add the item to the quest giver's inventory which will allow the quest to start. It's nothing special though.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Shumagorath posted:

God damnit, I actually went out of my way to get the troll tongue this time and still managed to miss Melitele's Heart in Act 1. I think Dark Mode is just making me overlook all the regular items.

You can't complete Melitele's Heart until almost the end of Act 1. The earliest you can acquire the arachas eyes is when you go with Zoltan to meet Iorveth; immediately after the arachas is the encounter with Letho. You may complete Melitele's Heart between the Arachas fight (if you choose to stay in the clearing instead of following Iorveth, otherwise you have to wait until after the Letho fight) and At a Crossroads, which is a very short gap if you're just following the main quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bad boyfriend worse lay
Feb 18, 2011

And when they went,
I heard the noise of their wings,
like the noise of great waters.

Donny posted:

You can't complete Melitele's Heart until almost the end of Act 1. The earliest you can acquire the arachas eyes is when you go with Zoltan to meet Iorveth; immediately after the arachas is the encounter with Letho. You may complete Melitele's Heart between the Arachas fight (if you choose to stay in the clearing instead of following Iorveth, otherwise you have to wait until after the Letho fight) and At a Crossroads, which is a very short gap if you're just following the main quest.
Cedric sells arachas eyes, in fact I'm pretty sure he sells everything (or most of the things) you need to do that quest.

• Locked thread