Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

DRP Solved! posted:

For the financial aspect of triptans, there are less-expensive prescription drugs like metoclopramide and prochlorperazine that are just as effective and safe as triptans. Might be worth a try.

Depending on how you feel about taking a drug every day, you could also look into preventive migraine treatment like amitriptyline or propranolol, which usually reduce migraines by a day or two per month.

I'll definitely look into alternatives. I'm considering the Mirena for other reasons too, I was just kind of curious about what other people had experienced with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiny Lights
Jan 28, 2009
I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. I've never had kids and have been taking birth control pills for about five years now. I was tired of having to take pills daily and after hearing about how great IUDs are decided go for a Paragard IUD because of the lack of hormones. I had no problems getting my gynecologist to setup an appointment for it.

I first went in last week. My gynecologist was trying to get past the cervix (twice) to measure but it just wasn't happening. She said we could try again in a week and to help gave me some Misoprostol (softens the cervix) to take the night before.

I had my second appointment today and still the same problem. She said if I wanted to continue I would need to have a sonogram to figure out how it could be placed but there would be a higher risk for me with cramping. I'm kinda bummed but I decided to just give up and go back to the pill after that.

Min_sora
Oct 21, 2008
Hey guys

I was on the Depo injection up until last November, I hadn't intended to finish it but when I came to Spain for a university placement I had trouble convincing people that the injection existed and trying to convince someone to help me get it again kind of fell on the wayside. Anyway, I'm planning to go back on it next Friday when I am back in England, but what's bothering me now is that I started my first period (I don't have any when I'm on the injection) 2 weeks ago and haven't stopped bleeding since. I have heard of this, but my question is, when it's going to stop? Is this something that could happen for weeks and weeks? Because I really don't want to still be having it when I go to England.

jai Mundi
Jun 17, 2005

Kiss my shiny metal heinie

Shiny Lights posted:

I was wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. I've never had kids and have been taking birth control pills for about five years now. I was tired of having to take pills daily and after hearing about how great IUDs are decided go for a Paragard IUD because of the lack of hormones. I had no problems getting my gynecologist to setup an appointment for it.

I first went in last week. My gynecologist was trying to get past the cervix (twice) to measure but it just wasn't happening. She said we could try again in a week and to help gave me some Misoprostol (softens the cervix) to take the night before.

I had my second appointment today and still the same problem. She said if I wanted to continue I would need to have a sonogram to figure out how it could be placed but there would be a higher risk for me with cramping. I'm kinda bummed but I decided to just give up and go back to the pill after that.

Hey.

I don't have any kids either. My OBGYN had me take Misoprostol 2 days before the insertion, so five pills total, and we also did it on the heaviest day of my period. We didn't seem to have a problem. I just had one big cramp when she was inserting the paragard.

I'd say the answer is more drugs.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

What has been seen cannot be unseen.
Hi everybody, I have a question. So my girlfriend decided to go off her hormonal birth control (Yaz) near the end of March, for various reasons. In the past month, I've felt like she's made some erratic decisions. I know it's hard to get a good picture of things without knowing me and her, but here are just some things I've noticed:

Last Saturday she got a tattoo on her butt (totally not weird, I have tattoos and she has wanted them for a while). While she was drunk. In a trailer. From a person who was using a sewing needle and ink. She was worried to tell me because she thought I'd judge her. I'd never judge anyone for something like that. I think it's REALLY reckless behavior because that's how you get bad infections and catch stuff. But I'm not going to judge her character for it! I've never judged her! We have certainly both talked in the past about how it is a bad idea to get tattoos in places other than tattoo shops where they have an autoclave and a sterile environment.

The effects SHE says she's noticed are that her face has broken out, she's a lot hornier, and she kind of wants kids, which she was VEHEMENTLY opposed to in the past (this part is actually good for me, because I never made a big deal about that, but always saw it as a problem if we ever wanted to stay in it for the long haul)

I've also felt like she's been less sensitive to me lately. For example I told her today that I was having probably the worst week of my life (for some reasons related to her, but mostly not), and she kinda said like sorry and just moved on to talking about other stuff. In her defense, I think she was drunk, she said she had had some wine (this conversation was on GChat).

Mostly those are the things I've noticed. The tattoo thing I'm not really sure about...I don't know whether that falls within the realm of reckless behavior people might engage in because of wacky hormones. What about the rest of the stuff? Does it sound like behavior that might result from going off birth control? Is it going to dissipate? Is she going to be more sensitive to me again? It's very difficult for me to be objective about this because I know I am stressed and distorting things as well.

Edit: A very important detail I forgot is that we're a most-of-the-time long distance relationship. We'll be together on a more permanent basis later this month, actually. But typically we have a few months together, and then a few months apart. It's much harder to decide exactly what's going on because I'm not with her, so I can't get a totally accurate reading for her behavior.

Edit: I don't know maybe school is just making me crazy and I'm making poo poo up.

Pillow Hat fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 3, 2012

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

DeADHeaD posted:

Hi everybody, I have a question. So my girlfriend decided to go off her hormonal birth control (Yaz) near the end of March, for various reasons. In the past month, I've felt like she's made some erratic decisions. I know it's hard to get a good picture of things without knowing me and her, but here are just some things I've noticed:

Last Saturday she got a tattoo on her butt (totally not weird, I have tattoos and she has wanted them for a while). While she was drunk. In a trailer. From a person who was using a sewing needle and ink. She was worried to tell me because she thought I'd judge her. I'd never judge anyone for something like that. I think it's REALLY reckless behavior because that's how you get bad infections and catch stuff. But I'm not going to judge her character for it! I've never judged her! We have certainly both talked in the past about how it is a bad idea to get tattoos in places other than tattoo shops where they have an autoclave and a sterile environment.

The effects SHE says she's noticed are that her face has broken out, she's a lot hornier, and she kind of wants kids, which she was VEHEMENTLY opposed to in the past (this part is actually good for me, because I never made a big deal about that, but always saw it as a problem if we ever wanted to stay in it for the long haul)

I've also felt like she's been less sensitive to me lately. For example I told her today that I was having probably the worst week of my life (for some reasons related to her, but mostly not), and she kinda said like sorry and just moved on to talking about other stuff. In her defense, I think she was drunk, she said she had had some wine (this conversation was on GChat).

Mostly those are the things I've noticed. The tattoo thing I'm not really sure about...I don't know whether that falls within the realm of reckless behavior people might engage in because of wacky hormones. What about the rest of the stuff? Does it sound like behavior that might result from going off birth control? Is it going to dissipate? Is she going to be more sensitive to me again? It's very difficult for me to be objective about this because I know I am stressed and distorting things as well.

Edit: A very important detail I forgot is that we're a most-of-the-time long distance relationship. We'll be together on a more permanent basis later this month, actually. But typically we have a few months together, and then a few months apart. It's much harder to decide exactly what's going on because I'm not with her, so I can't get a totally accurate reading for her behavior.

Edit: I don't know maybe school is just making me crazy and I'm making poo poo up.

Skin breakouts and changes in sex drive probably are connected to the birth control. And the change in hormones could be affecting her mood , which might account for how she's been acting towards you. For example, for a week or two after I stopped taking the pill I became incredibly depressed. Or it could be unrelated and she was having an off day, moods are influenced by a lot of things.

The tattoo thing is probably just plain old impulsiveness/recklessness mixed with alcohol rather than hormone-related stuff. Hormonal birth control can have an effect on how you feel and behave, but they aren't mind control drugs that make you do stupid stuff you would never do otherwise.

It's hard to judge since I don't know her, but just from your post alcohol seems to be more of the problem for her behavior-wise than hormones.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

DeADHeaD posted:

The tattoo thing I'm not really sure about...I don't know whether that falls within the realm of reckless behavior people might engage in because of wacky hormones. What about the rest of the stuff? Does it sound like behavior that might result from going off birth control? Is it going to dissipate? Is she going to be more sensitive to me again? It's very difficult for me to be objective about this because I know I am stressed and distorting things as well.

I don't know what you think about hormones, but hormones do not make people do this poo poo. None of this would result from going on or off of birth control.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah, it struck me as a particularly out of character decision is the only reason I ask. I had a feeling it was not really a hormonal thing as much. Anyway, like I said, it's really difficult to decide how objective I'M being about all of this. I've been incredibly stressed because I'm graduating in a few days, and I've been blowing some things WAY WAY WAY out of proportion.

As far as alcohol goes, that's not a concern. She doesn't drink very often, and even when she does, it's uncommon for her to get very drunk. I think this was more connected to the fact hat she was leaving a place and a group of friends on a more-or-less permanent basis.

On an unrelated note, Reformed Tomboy, this is funny to me: Just over six years ago (I just checked the date on the PM) I was asking you for advice about having sex for the first time. And now six years later you're still giving me sex advice. Ha ha ha.

Edit: I think it's best if everyone just ignores my earlier post for now. I don't think I am in a stable enough mental state to be trying to critically assess this. I'll come back in a month when I'm out of school and back with my girlfriend if I still feel worried.

Pillow Hat fucked around with this message at 07:53 on May 3, 2012

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

DeADHeaD posted:

On an unrelated note, Reformed Tomboy, this is funny to me: Just over six years ago (I just checked the date on the PM) I was asking you for advice about having sex for the first time. And now six years later you're still giving me sex advice. Ha ha ha.

Edit: I think it's best if everyone just ignores my earlier post for now. I don't think I am in a stable enough mental state to be trying to critically assess this. I'll come back in a month when I'm out of school and back with my girlfriend if I still feel worried.

That's awesome. I've not been shy about posting about sex here, that's for sure. I hope it's helped :D

Good luck, once you do decide to sort through that all.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

DeADHeaD posted:

As far as alcohol goes, that's not a concern. She doesn't drink very often, and even when she does, it's uncommon for her to get very drunk. I think this was more connected to the fact hat she was leaving a place and a group of friends on a more-or-less permanent basis.

I know it sounded like I think she's an alcoholic, but I mainly just meant that it seems like being drunk (however common or uncommon it may be for her) is the more likely culprit for not so great decisions like getting a home tattoo.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

DeADHeaD posted:

Last Saturday she got a tattoo on her butt (totally not weird, I have tattoos and she has wanted them for a while). While she was drunk. In a trailer. From a person who was using a sewing needle and ink.

:stare:

I hope to god she's gotten an STD test since then because holy poo poo.

DeADHeaD posted:

She was worried to tell me because she thought I'd judge her. I'd never judge anyone for something like that.

Why on earth not?!

Diving Buttress
Aug 20, 2002

oh jesus christ
Well, my Paragard that I got 2 months ago had to come out and get replaced. I had an ultrasound and it wasn't expelled, but it was way too low.

Replacement got inserted while I was under general anesthesia so the doctor could use a hysteroscope/ultrasound during the procedure if needed. Here's hoping #2 works out. If it doesn't, the husband's getting snipped.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

The continuing saga of "My uterus hates my IUD":

So since being seen in the ER, I've been taking my Flagyl like a good girl. This of course gave me terrible diarrhea and made me nervous I had C.Diff as I had had patients with C.Diff in the past week. Not that it would matter since they treat C.Diff with Flagyl... Thankfully it cleared up over a few days. As I've gotten older, I've noticed I am super sensitive to medications. This stupid Flagyl makes me stupidly dizzy after taking it. Good thing I only have one more day.

I was feeling a bit better and followed up with my GYN. We agreed to stick it out unless I start feeling really lovely.

Now I'm starting to feel really lovely.

Since Sunday I've been feeling like I'm getting my period. My boobs have been super, super sore. Hell, putting my bra on the past few days it felt like they've grown a cup size. I'm retaining water like crazy and just feel like a fatass. Add in some on and off abdominal cramps. I usually only get them when there is a shift in my abdominal pressure, such as after going to the bathroom or after eating. It's really weird.

I've really had no bleeding except for a couple of teeny, tiny clots and some pink tinged normal drainage. I really have no idea if I'm due for my period since that five-ish month period threw me all off. That entire horrible period time I had zero cramps or painful boobs so besides the whole bleeding constantly, it was really nice. Right now I have no idea if this icky feeling is due to my body reacting to the IUD and its hormones or normal menstruation.

Not that it matters. I just checked my strings about an hour ago and they are MIA. Callin' the doc first thing in the morning to get this all sorted out.

Oh well. v :) v

Edit: I feel I should ask. I mostly take birth control for really bad menorrhagia and dysmenorrhea. What are other effective ways to manage this when pills (numerous), Depo, and Mirena aren't helpful?

Lava Lamp Goddess fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 4, 2012

DRP Solved!
Dec 2, 2009

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Edit: I feel I should ask. I mostly take birth control for really bad menorrhagia and dysmenorrhea. What are other effective ways to manage this when pills (numerous), Depo, and Mirena aren't helpful?

Mostly NSAIDs, and procedures I know nothing about.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

The continuing saga of "My uterus hates my IUD":

So since being seen in the ER, I've been taking my Flagyl like a good girl. This of course gave me terrible diarrhea and made me nervous I had C.Diff as I had had patients with C.Diff in the past week. Not that it would matter since they treat C.Diff with Flagyl... Thankfully it cleared up over a few days. As I've gotten older, I've noticed I am super sensitive to medications. This stupid Flagyl makes me stupidly dizzy after taking it. Good thing I only have one more day.

It's probably not just you in this case. Based on my own experience, Flagyl is pretty nasty stuff to take.

As for your options, would something like Novasure (endometrial ablation) be an option for you? I don't think it would help with the dysmenorrhea, but it does reduce menstrual flow pretty significantly in most cases. Maybe something you could look into/discuss with your doctor if it seems like an option.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

Butt Wizard posted:

Why on earth not?!

I try never to judge people for actions that are not harmful to others. I think it was a really, really reckless decision on her part. But I'm not going to think worse of her for it.

As far as STD testing goes, she offered, and I said we should just both go because everyone should be tested every now and then in my opinion.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

DeADHeaD posted:

As far as STD testing goes, she offered, and I said we should just both go because everyone should be tested every now and then in my opinion.

True that, and it's awesome of you to have that attitude.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

DeADHeaD posted:

I try never to judge people for actions that are not harmful to others. I think it was a really, really reckless decision on her part. But I'm not going to think worse of her for it.

Just remember you might need to either wait a while or get retested later because some infections won't show up on the tests this soon after contracting them.

Innovative Salad
Jun 18, 2003

That's President Tandi to you.

Missa posted:

I did have a question: Any of you ladies with an IUD use menstrual cups? I was reading the thread and there wasn't a definite answer if it was okay or not. I'm going to ask my doctor, but I was hoping for personal experience. (My doctor is a dude, and he is awesome, he just doesn't have a vagina.)

Late response to this, but I've been using cups ever since I switched to Paragard. Lunette works fine, and they advertise IUD compatibility. I recently tried Softcups, though, and I'm liking them much better: They don't create a vacuum seal like solid cups do, so there's no suction on your uterus and (I would imagine) even less/no risk of accidentally yanking out your IUD. That said, if you're careful about not pulling on your strings and always breaking the seal before you pull out the cup, you should be just fine. Like radioaktivitat said, I wouldn't use one for at least a few days after insertion (and I'd wait until the next period) to give everything time to settle down.

Pillow Hat
Sep 11, 2001

NaturalLow posted:

Just remember you might need to either wait a while or get retested later because some infections won't show up on the tests this soon after contracting them.

Word, good call. Gotta go over a period of, what? Six months?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

DeADHeaD posted:

Honestly, I'm not an expert on the subject so I'm not sure. Maybe you could check with whereever you're getting tested?

mufkin
Sep 10, 2004
YES THIS IS MY NATURAL HAIR COLOR!!!!!!111
HIV takes 6 weeks to 6 months to develop antibodies in your blood. Hepatitis C takes 2 weeks to 6 months. So with testing you should probably get tested now and then again in a few months. I'm not a medical professional. This is just info I got from googling.

Christabel
Apr 18, 2003

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Help.

Last night during sex my partner could feel the IUD string. It was so painful for him that we had to stop. When that happens, can I get in there and move things around or is that just how things are going to go from now on? It was weird because we've had sex in that position before and it wasn't an issue.

Thanks, randomly moving cervix, you're the BEST.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

I've heard of people kind of tucking the strings around or off to the side of their cervix when that happens. I don't think it'll be dangerous as long as you aren't pulling on them or anything.

I'm pretty sure eventually the strings will get softer and won't be so "pokey." And if they continue to be a problem, you can get them trimmed by your doctor.

(Don't have an IUD myself, but this is what people have told me)

gabi
Sep 10, 2008

DeADHeaD posted:

Yup! But not every month for six months, that would be excessive. 3 and 6 months after potential exposure was what was recommended to me. *I am not a doctor*

Implanon update!
The insertion was fine, completely different from the horrorshow that was my mirena experience. The weirdest part was probably the numbing agent (I've never had a cavity and had no idea what to expect). Didn't even feel it going in. 10 hours later and I can tell that the gauze is itchy and it kind of feels like I pulled a muscle, and that's it. A state program covered the whole cost. A++++ would birth control again. I'll keep the thread updated with side effects once they start happening (hoping for no periods).

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I'm glad it went smoothly for you after all those scared shitless posts. :shobon: Hope it works out!

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010
My husband and I finally just talked about why I'd been pushing him away so often in the past several months, so he looked up a gynecologist in our area and I went to see her this morning. I'm vehemently opposed to having kids of my own for various reasons (or any kids- we talked about adoption a couple times but even that wouldn't work... now that we have cats I know that I wouldn't be able to adequately take care of a human who's dependent on me). Our sister in law and one of my friends just had babies recently and seeing/hearing about the pregnancies/babies drove home for me how much I DO NOT WANT BABY. And I started just refusing to let my husband have sex with me.

But we talked a few nights ago about it and I'll be getting a Mirena by the end of the month thanks to this thread :) I've been following it for several months now, read it from start to finish, and the gyno was impressed with how much I knew about each type of BC (pill/depo/implanon/ring/paraguard/mirena) and didn't even try to ask about the others since I was able to list all the Mirena information and what I didn't like about the others ^.^

I'll finally be able to relax and just enjoy the experience instead of stressing out and refusing. Thanks so much, BC thread! I'll update in a couple weeks when I get it in :D

Medium Blue
Jan 19, 2012

Christabel posted:

Help.

Last night during sex my partner could feel the IUD string. It was so painful for him that we had to stop. When that happens, can I get in there and move things around or is that just how things are going to go from now on? It was weird because we've had sex in that position before and it wasn't an issue.

Thanks, randomly moving cervix, you're the BEST.

This pokey string business happens to us occasionally when my cervix is hangin' low (so around the time of my period). If that happens, I stick a finger in and swirl it around a bit so the strings are pushed up around the cervix. That usually solves the painful pokiness for my partner.

Actually we can in certain positions when he's going deep and hard, BOTH feel the IUD. Not the strings - I can't feel those - but... just a kind of hard bit getting hit and joggled (I don't think that's a real word but it's apt). I know it supposedly can't be felt at all during sex but... we both can. It's totally effective with regard to stopping the formation of OFFSPRING since I had it fitted 4 months ago, but yeah, sometimes it's just obviously there and we need to change the angle of penetration slightly.

I'd say I personally notice it maybe 3 out of 10 times. He mentioned that before the IUD it just felt 'really awesome' when he went as deep as he could, but now with the IUD it's 'kind of pokey', but if the strings are out of the way, still fine and good. Can anyone else with an IUD chip in on this?

gabi
Sep 10, 2008
I had the same problem with my IUD. I hadn't realized how often I felt it until it was out. Don't have a solution though, sorry.

Quick question about implanon after care. When they say to keep it clean and dry, but also not to rub the area, how on earth do I wash the iodine off without rubbing it? Should I leave it alone for another couple of days, shower like normal and just pat the area dry?

Candycanes
Apr 7, 2007
4 periods in 7 weeks, pretty much always coinciding with the times that either me or my bf had travelled 300 miles so we could actually be together. gently caress you, Cerazette.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

gabi posted:

Quick question about implanon after care. When they say to keep it clean and dry, but also not to rub the area, how on earth do I wash the iodine off without rubbing it? Should I leave it alone for another couple of days, shower like normal and just pat the area dry?

They're more trying to get you to be aware that your arm is healing. You can rub, but gently. Your skin came away from the muscle in your arm to have a device shoved in. Rubbing vigorously will not only be painful, but also may slow healing. Go gently, or just let it come off on its own, it's only iodine.

jai Mundi
Jun 17, 2005

Kiss my shiny metal heinie

BlueOccamy posted:

My husband and I finally just talked about why I'd been pushing him away so often in the past several months, so he looked up a gynecologist in our area and I went to see her this morning. I'm vehemently opposed to having kids of my own for various reasons (or any kids- we talked about adoption a couple times but even that wouldn't work... now that we have cats I know that I wouldn't be able to adequately take care of a human who's dependent on me). Our sister in law and one of my friends just had babies recently and seeing/hearing about the pregnancies/babies drove home for me how much I DO NOT WANT BABY. And I started just refusing to let my husband have sex with me.

But we talked a few nights ago about it and I'll be getting a Mirena by the end of the month thanks to this thread :) I've been following it for several months now, read it from start to finish, and the gyno was impressed with how much I knew about each type of BC (pill/depo/implanon/ring/paraguard/mirena) and didn't even try to ask about the others since I was able to list all the Mirena information and what I didn't like about the others ^.^

I'll finally be able to relax and just enjoy the experience instead of stressing out and refusing. Thanks so much, BC thread! I'll update in a couple weeks when I get it in :D

You and I are in the same boat for sure. The idea of being pregnant horrifies me. I had a friend of my husbands tease me about getting accidentally knocked up. I looked that rear end dead in the eye and asked him if he thought abortion was funny.

I've been using paragaurd for about a month, but have continued to finish my BC pill pack. I have to admit that I am hesitant to let go of my old friend Triphasil 28. First, I've been taking it for 15 or so years, I'm a little freaked out about what my period will be like without the hormones, and lastly, I like the statistics of paragaurd, plus BC. I'm an impregnable fortress...

When you were researching Mirena, were you at all concerned that it could stop your period? That alone freaked me out. I love getting that monthly reassurance that I am not pregnant.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

jai Mundi posted:

I've been using paragaurd for about a month, but have continued to finish my BC pill pack. I have to admit that I am hesitant to let go of my old friend Triphasil 28. First, I've been taking it for 15 or so years, I'm a little freaked out about what my period will be like without the hormones, and lastly, I like the statistics of paragaurd, plus BC. I'm an impregnable fortress...

Paragard alone has about the same statistical failure rate as being surgically sterilized, so unless you're really worried about the unlikely event of an ectopic pregnancy (that would have to be terminated anyway) you're already fine just using Paragard by itself.

Beau Nidle
May 8, 2012

Hey guys, I feel like I really need some help here.

Over the last year (maybe two now) I've had little to no interest in sex and I've found it a real struggle to get aroused or in the mood for it. Then it began to get painful or just uncomfortable and I started to get anxious over the whole thing.

Don't get me wrong, my partner is amazing and tries to understand but it's something I want sorted.

Anyway, here's why I'm asking for advice here. I've worked out that it's really been since I've been on birth control I've had no sex drive and when I mentioned this to someone at the clinic they agreed and said all my symptoms were probably related to my pill as I was having other problems as well, so I changed to the Depo which while it didn't increase my interest in sex at all the lack of side effects I'd had on the pill was amazing so I sort of left it at that and thought it would all get better.

Fast forward six months and two Depo injections later I'm still feeling frustrated by the lack of interest or the discomfort when I do have sex so I go to the clinic again, they say I need a pill with estrogen in.

So I left with another pack of pills and no Depo injection this time, but at the same time I feel like I'm back at square one, on the pill with no sex drive and a lot of frustration/discomfort. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice or a similar problem? When I mentioned getting the Implanon the doctor said I'd get the exact same problems on it I was having with the Depo and that the estrogen would help but now I'm thinking that it didn't when I was originally on the pill.

So should I go back to the clinic as soon as I can and say this to them or just give the pills another go?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
You can totally try Implanon. It's got less hormone and only one type of hormone, and you might find that you have fewer side effects. Lots of ladies in here have had Implanon and can give you their experiences. I have never heard that estrogen is supposed to help sex drive... I am not a doctor, however.

One other thing to consider- could you be depressed? Have you lost interest in anything else you used to like? Has it gotten harder to get things done? Look up the symptoms and see if that's it because it is a pretty solid reason for your sex drive to dry up and it's worth checking.

Beau Nidle
May 8, 2012

Nope, not lost interest in anything else that I can think of, just sex.

I went with the intention of getting the Implanon because of what I’d read here, it seemed a few people had the same problem and it got sorted on it. But like I said, he said it was the lack of estrogen that was the problem and that it would be the same or worse on Implanon as it was on Depo.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
I have spent 19 days with some sort of light flow, like spotting, I suppose. I did take the morning after pill, so I guess I got the secondary effect of the neverending period. I mentioned it to my mom and she's freaking out about it. I feel just fine, no cramps or anything, and the only discomfort is that I don't want oral sex while this goes on.

I guess I shouldn't worry, it isn't as if I'm bleeding a lot (or bleeding a significant amount, really). In two days I finish my 21 Yasmin pack, so I'm supposed to get my actual period.

Should I be worried?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Nope. It's normal to have weirdness after taking the morning after pill. Hopefully it'll settle down once you've gotten into your next cycle.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Eggplant Wizard posted:

You can totally try Implanon. It's got less hormone and only one type of hormone, and you might find that you have fewer side effects. Lots of ladies in here have had Implanon and can give you their experiences. I have never heard that estrogen is supposed to help sex drive... I am not a doctor, however.

One other thing to consider- could you be depressed? Have you lost interest in anything else you used to like? Has it gotten harder to get things done? Look up the symptoms and see if that's it because it is a pretty solid reason for your sex drive to dry up and it's worth checking.

The only problem here is that the one hormone in Implanon is the same as what's in Depo, unless there's some difference I'm unaware of.

And in my own experience, I had problems with my sex drive on the pill too until I switched to a pill with a higher dosage of estrogen at the suggestion of my doctor. So it might be worth a try. Of course if it's just the same dosage as the first pill that caused problems you will probably be back at square one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010

jai Mundi posted:

You and I are in the same boat for sure. The idea of being pregnant horrifies me. I had a friend of my husbands tease me about getting accidentally knocked up. I looked that rear end dead in the eye and asked him if he thought abortion was funny.

When you were researching Mirena, were you at all concerned that it could stop your period? That alone freaked me out. I love getting that monthly reassurance that I am not pregnant.

I'm actually incredibly happy about the possibility of not having periods anymore. For the longest time I thought that pantyliners were the only kind of menstrual pad and I was paranoid about leaving a tampon in too long/forgetting it was in there, so I'd just shove a bunch of toilet paper in my underwear and waddle around whenever I was on my period. I've since been convinced by my boyfriend (now husband) that tampons are okay, but I still hate having to carry them around/make sure I don't run out, and I still have the urge to rush to the bathroom every time I stand up while on my period because I used the toilet paper for so long- it wouldn't soak it all up if it gushed when I stood up, so...

TMI I guess, but this -is- a thread about birth control >.> I'd love to not have a period at all ever again, especially as any pregnancy that starts with the Mirena in will need to be terminated anyways so I wouldn't have to worry about carrying it to term/debating whether or not to abort.

• Locked thread