Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Haven't seen it yet, but in the books they sneak into a wildling camp, kill a few of them except for Ygritte, who's left for Jon to kill, but he can't and he lets her get away. Then I think she comes back with Rattleshirt and the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Oh welp then I just have a lovely memory.

e: this sansa almost-rape/Hound scene is definitely new though.

e2: I don't remember dany's dragons getting dragonnapped either.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 04:11 on May 7, 2012

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson

Contra Calculus posted:

Well most likely the characters on 30 Rock are the type of people who wouldn't read fantasy books written by a goon.

seriously?

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:

IRQ posted:

Are you sure, because Joffrey getting a cow pie in his face is in the books IIRC.

I liked how Tyrion noticed things are about to go well so he makes sure Tommen is safe, but doesn't care about Joffrey.

And a little later Joffrey ignores Tyrion, even though it might mean Jaime's life.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

IRQ posted:

Sansa is Lollys, only without the actual gangrape.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Hedrigall posted:

The name of the town... Is it meant to be mole's town or molest town?

Molests Own.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.
Sometimes I'm just hanging around, minding my own business, and I remember that as of book 5 there are officially elves in this series. They go by a different name and have cat eyes, but they're diminuitive long-lived forest-dwelling fey pointy-eared people whose time in the world is almost over. Elves. gently caress.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
^^^ That didn't happen and I'm sticking to it.

IRQ posted:

1. To fill out the Sansa Rape Threat/Rape in General GRRM quota that was part of GRRM's contract, so they merged her with Lollys.

2. That didn't happen. But considering Dany never did poo poo until Belwas took a fierce poo poo in Astapor's direction, I can't get mad at them giving her SOMETHING to do.

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

CoTF are nothing like elves, and I'm betting on them being really creepy and evil. I imagine either Brann or Arya (or both) will be the ones killing someone the reader is supposed to root for.

edit: VVVV Dragons are less fantasy cliche than elves?

zalmoxes fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 7, 2012

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

zalmoxes posted:

CoTF are nothing like elves, and I'm betting on them being really creepy and evil.

Oh great, they're Drow, that's MUCH better. :rolleyes:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Oh poo poo yes, gonna paint up 1500 points of Dark Eldar Children of the Forest for the big tourney next month.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

zalmoxes posted:

edit: VVVV Dragons are less fantasy cliche than elves?

First, I wasn't taking a poo poo on you with the Drow thing, I was just mocking the book.

Two things about your "cliche" comment. First, the dragons seemed kind of earned, and made sense from an emotional standpoint. Dany went through a world of poo poo, but got some dragons out of it.

Second, it's kind of a case of "once is coincidence, twice is a pattern" or "two's company, three's a crowd". I can roll with Dragons and low/dirty/blood magic but those two things AND elves is too much cliche for my palate.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
I'm looking forward to Dany chasing some dragon abductors in the Benny Hill-esque fashion while Yakety Sax plays on the background. They could run into the House of the Undying and do the thing where there's a hallway with doors on opposite sides and they're running from one side to another and sometimes it's Dany chasing the dragons or khal Drogo chasing Dany or two Danys. Then the culprit is caught by the people whose Mother Dany claims to be and is like "and I would have succeeded if it weren't for those meddling kids!"

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Sometimes I'm just hanging around, minding my own business, and I remember that as of book 5 there are officially elves in this series. They go by a different name and have cat eyes, but they're diminuitive long-lived forest-dwelling fey pointy-eared people whose time in the world is almost over. Elves. gently caress.

But...there were always elves, just in the backstory.

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

Tony Danza Claus posted:

1. To fill out the Sansa Rape Threat/Rape in General GRRM quota that was part of GRRM's contract, so they merged her with Lollys.

Pretty sure Lollys was still there, though. Didn't we see the pudgier of Sansa's ladies-in-waiting get her top ripped off during the riot?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

First, I wasn't taking a poo poo on you with the Drow thing, I was just mocking the book.

Two things about your "cliche" comment. First, the dragons seemed kind of earned, and made sense from an emotional standpoint. Dany went through a world of poo poo, but got some dragons out of it.

Second, it's kind of a case of "once is coincidence, twice is a pattern" or "two's company, three's a crowd". I can roll with Dragons and low/dirty/blood magic but those two things AND elves is too much cliche for my palate.

They've always been a thing though. The first book, which opened with magic ice zombies and closed with dragons, had, right in the middle, "the first men" being all "gimme yo land, elf dudes".

ADWD just had two of them still being alive.

Also, you realize I have to kill you in combat because you just made me defend ADWD, right?

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

So what if he introduced Tolkienesque orcs called Grumpkins in the next book*, would you be ok with that, too?

*lol

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

You forgot GIANTS. And where did he steal wargs from anyway? I don't read much fantasy.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

After the parts with the giants, shadow demons, ice demons, ice spiders, ice zombies, fire zombies, rock zombies, and diarrhea golems, the predictable exposition of an entity that was fairly regularly mentioned since book one didn't bother me too much. But I agree, they were totally just loving elves, and it seems now that he's gonna be more or less relying on the fantasy cliches we all thought he was trying to subvert with this series.

e: seems I'm a bit late.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I love how totally over it Bran is. Theon runs in and tells him he's taken Winterfell and Bran is just, "Why?" Like, this kid has enough to deal with being crippled and having crazyass dreams and Ned being dead. He doesn't give a gently caress anymore. He's gonna go be a tree wizard, gently caress ya'll.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

zalmoxes posted:

You forgot GIANTS. And where did he steal wargs from anyway? I don't read much fantasy.

Tolkien again. Who "stole" it from Norse mythology.

These ideas, (but gently caress elves whatever you want to call them) are parts of a universal human subconscious. These mythical creatures come from disparate societies from all over the world and are perfectly legitimate tools to tell a story. A story GURM has long since lost interest in, unfortunately, so whining about grumpkins and goblins is just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I've been banging on it ever since I started posting here, but the largest point of ASOIAF is about why we cherish fantasy and myth.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

I really like how loving sad Theon's story is. In the books I just thought he was a dick until he got tortured, but in the show they're showing how totally pathetic and out of control he really is.

Theon just wants to be loved. :smithicide:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

whowhatwhere posted:

I've been banging on it ever since I started posting here, but the largest point of ASOIAF is about why we cherish fantasy and myth.

I thought it was palace intrigue and incest? Where have I been.

I started reading because I saw the last ep. of season 1 and I wanted to read Chaughrei's death. It took me a while, but I was fairly satisfied about that. Things I was not that interested in, at least partly because of the stigma of bad and or high fantasy, include dragons, elves, wizards and so forth. If I want to read ADD&D the book I'll go back and pick up some Dragonlance or whatever.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Martin Van Buren posted:

it seems now that he's gonna be more or less relying on the fantasy cliches we all thought he was trying to subvert with this series.
He was indeed trying to subvert them, but that was over 15 years ago. That is because it's not really him anymore, someone* replaced him with what we see now, took his place for themselves.

*: The Pear-shaped Man. He took all George's things.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

empty sea posted:

I really like how loving sad Theon's story is. In the books I just thought he was a dick until he got tortured, but in the show they're showing how totally pathetic and out of control he really is.

Theon just wants to be loved. :smithicide:

PRINCE Theon :mad:

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

whowhatwhere posted:

PRINCE Theon :mad:

Ha! Yes, Prince Theon just wants to be loved. And the sad thing is that he was. He was loved by the Starks and then he went home and betrayed them for a family that treated him like poo poo.

I could see Robb fighting a battle to get him back or ransoming him. I couldn't see Balon doing that. Oh, Theon, you miserable fucker. You should've ran back home to Robb's bedroom eyes. :allears:

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

All Theon wanted was to be a Stark, but he never could.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

zalmoxes posted:

Robin Hobb introduced a character who mentally communicates with/body hops into a wolf using a power that runs in bloodlines who is also a bastard and also is an assassin and politically naive and he marries a commoner and (almost) dies because of honor in 1995. The entire current generation of the Stark family is based on Fitzchivalry Farseer.

edit: Also the series includes the reemergence of dragons and feeding life to (a facsimile of) dragons to create life and has a fool who knows the future.

jsoh fucked around with this message at 07:21 on May 7, 2012

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

run DNC posted:

Robin Hobb introduced a character who mentally communicates with/body hops into a wolf using a power that runs in bloodlines who is also a bastard and also is an assassin and politically naive and he marries a commoner and (almost) dies because of honor in 1995.

:monocle: Could it be?!

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

El Hefe posted:

HBO is giving a giant gently caress you to GRRM this season.

Definitely yes, and I feel so conflicted about it because while I usually love Gurm being hosed with, I totally hate the ham-handed and incompetent way a lot of this season is being handled.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
I have no idea what was in the original books now, what was changed, or what is new. I think I'm okay with that, since I'm not going to reread this any time soon.

We also got to see nyphadora tonks' naked body, answering the question of how she got remus lupin to go straight and forget about ~sirius~

Edit: Don't know if I like what they are going to do with Ramsay though, apparently thats all being redone.

bigmcgaffney fucked around with this message at 09:09 on May 7, 2012

EatDirt
Nov 13, 2009
Yep, she was pretty loving hot.

Also, I swear they used the same actor for the High Septon and the dude on the long speal to Dany.
Too lazy to go check however.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

EatDirt posted:

Yep, she was pretty loving hot.

Also, I swear they used the same actor for the High Septon and the dude on the long speal to Dany.
Too lazy to go check however.

:hfive:

I got the same vibe, chubby rich guys all look the same.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

savinhill posted:

Definitely yes, and I feel so conflicted about it because while I usually love Gurm being hosed with, I totally hate the ham-handed and incompetent way a lot of this season is being handled.

ok so for those of us what don't follow the show what happened?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

V. Illych L. posted:

ok so for those of us what don't follow the show what happened?

The changes aren't that big of a deal really.

• Sansa nearly gets raped in place of Lollys getting raped. Sandor saves her.
• Rodrik dies earlier, at the hand of Theon instead of Ramsay.
• Dany's dragons get stolen in Qarth, probably by warlocks, so she has to go to the House of the Undying to get them back - giving her an actual reason to go there and burn it down, unlike in the book where she does it just because.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

• Rodrik dies earlier, at the hand of Theon instead of Ramsay.

Wonder if it means they get rid of Ramsay Bolton and just use Roose for all the dick flaying instead.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

As long as someone is getting their dick flayed I suppose I should be thankful.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Contra Calculus posted:

Well most likely the characters on 30 Rock are the type of people who wouldn't read fantasy books written by a goon.

Well, It was Tracy's friend Grizz. He and Dotcom are strange (for that show).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

canepazzo posted:

Wonder if it means they get rid of Ramsay Bolton and just use Roose for all the dick flaying instead.

No, Roose asked Robb if he could send Ramsay to take Winterfell back from the iron men so he's definitely in.