Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah, Skull Mountain was cool, I guess. I mean if you want your playset to just sit there and not be involved at all.

Other prefer their giant lava robots :black101:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

You know If you lived in the arab world as a kid in the nineties and regularly watched your TV you would catch anime by the shitload.

As in, craploads of normally obscure stuff, ADDED IN with all the regular things.

Intros and crap: (Beware of list)

Grendizer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgx7631XXtM
Chinese soldier anime:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE_80ctrKQE
Some dino named Mooka mooka:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNOQE6tOEeI&feature=related
We got the freakin Dragon quest anime:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RvQjKgo-tE&feature=related
Dodgeball anime:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyVaRh2pUUY&feature=related
Slam dunk. this was a favorite.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eDid2BUeXM&feature=related
Detective conan/ Case closed
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S46vTntEwEo
We got Fist of the north star. With the uncensored violence:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_nF5pFlDaY

I think there are much much more.

Lolitas Alright!
Sep 15, 2007

This is your friend.
She fights for your freedom.

Zeether posted:

Nelvana dubbed Cardcaptor Sakura, not 4Kids. Also if it was confusing it's because they basically cut a ton of stuff from it when they dubbed it or something like that.

Yeah, they had to cut the fact that everyone was gay for one another (Tomoyo/Madison for Sakura, Touya/Tori and Yukito/Julian were together, Sakura's mom and Tomoyo's mom were together in high school). Cutting the poo poo out of anime was par for the course back then, it's why Yu-Gi-Oh! was missing the entire first season, Sailors Uranus and Neptune were "cousins" instead of lovers, Dragon Ball had foamy water and milk in mugs instead of beer, etc. I'm just used to 4Kids ruining anime, I guess.

We DID get the International Channel on cable back in the 90's, and every Saturday was "Anime Saturday", where they'd show uncut anime. I watched "Earthian" that way, and got banned from watching "Cowboy Bebop" by my dad because of the episode with the transgendered chick. I also remember when Suncoast opened and all of us middle school weeaboos were super-excited because they sold anime and anime-related stuff... this was back before ANY bookstore had a manga section, too. If a store carried it, it was crammed into the fantasy/sci-fi section.

Also, it came out in 2000, but I'm still counting it: that loving "Dungeons and Dragons" movie. We had such high hopes for it too. My dad and I went on opening night, and by halfway through the movie, all us nerds had congregated to the middle of the theater and were sperging the gently caress out, loudly, about how poo poo this movie was.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

As long as we're posting music videos, here is one that contains all of the early 90's. All of it.

Ballin Stalin
Dec 29, 2009

by Lowtax
I remember being 8 and laughing hysterically over this commercial with my cousin after watching hours' worth of Pokemon VHSes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_nWjN1bFRE

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

HonorableTB posted:

Does anyone remember Spiderman Comic Book Maker for the PC? I think that's what it was called. It was on my dad's old laptop from like 1996-1997 and I remember having a lot of very fond memories of that.

This and Printmaster Gold were some of the best times I had with my family's first PC.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Rahonavis posted:

As long as we're posting music videos, here is one that contains all of the early 90's. All of it.

:stare: Nelson. Kenny G. Will Smith. It just keeps going...

magic pantaloons
Jan 9, 2012

Ain't you ever seen a naked chick riding a clam before?

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

lord funk posted:

:stare: Nelson. Kenny G. Will Smith. It just keeps going...

Good god, understatement of the epoch, I think a growing :catstare: might be necessary for this one... let's see here:

Wikipedia posted:

The following is the order of appearance in the song:
  • Ralph Tresvant
  • Randy Travis
  • Celine Dion
  • Peter Cetera
  • Bobby Brown
  • Brenda Russell
  • Jani Lane (Warrant)
  • Luther Vandross
  • Garth Brooks
  • Kathy Mattea
  • Gunnar & Matthew Nelson
  • Michael Bolton
  • Pointer Sisters
  • Little Richard
  • Will Smith (The Fresh Prince)
  • Mark Knopfler — Guitar solo
  • Kenny G — Saxophone solo
  • Warren Wiebe

I'm not even going to list all of the people in the choir, but it included people like Alyssa Milano, Downtown Julie Brown, Gary Busey, Kevin Costner, Cindy Crawford, Billy Crystal, Richard Gere, Whoopi Goldberg, Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, Don King, Jon Lovitz, Michelle Pfeiffer, Kurt Russell, Fred Savage, Nicollette Sheridan, Mike Tyson, Jean-Claude Van Damme, and Warrant... and I could swear I saw Steven Seagal in there somewhere. All that's missing is Bart Simpson, Steve Urkel, and Vanilla Ice, and you'd have the ultimate '90s bullshit wankfest right there. Hell, you even had the footage that was black & white with certain bits colorized and flashing, in perfect '90s 'style'.

We sure knew how to Support Are Troops back then, didn't we :patriot:

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

magic pantaloons posted:

Push Pops were like Ring Pops. Great idea, but you get sick of it halfway through and you end up with this goo-covered pop you really can't put anywhere without ruining it. :(

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Pseudonym posted:

Good god, understatement of the epoch, I think a growing :catstare: might be necessary for this one... All that's missing is Bart Simpson...

Say no more.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

DrManiac posted:

loving Samurai pizza cats

The best part is when they originally licensed the series they somehow didn't get the script so they pretty much made everything up ( allegedly sometimes while drunk).

Guess what's coming to DVD. Contains both the classic SPC dub and the original Japanese version.

Lolitas Alright! posted:

Oh, the crazy as gently caress Chinese kid who showed up just to kill off Sakura and Li so he could be ULTIMATE CARDCAPTOR? I don't remember the ending, I ended up getting really bored after she had to go catch MORE cards and quit watching.

You mean Eriol, the English boy who was the reincarnation of Clow Reed. He came to Tomoeda to ensure that Sakura transformed all the cards properly and became the world's most powerful magician. Eriol didn't want to be the ultimate anything; that was the whole point of passing the cards on to Sakura.

UnculturedSwine
Jul 7, 2006

Before Britney, Justin, et al on the Mickey Mouse Club, there was...

The Party!

quintessential '90's right here.

Hey! You! I wanna be your boyfriend!

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

UnculturedSwine posted:

Before Britney, Justin, et al on the Mickey Mouse Club, there was...

The Party!

quintessential '90's right here.

In a way, I'm sad that this generation doesn't have it's own Mickey Mouse Club.

And speaking of really weird 90's Disney things...

(Russi Taylor is a very good sport.)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

UnculturedSwine posted:

You can't imagine how relieved I am that it wasn't a Ramones cover.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
The absolute worst Temple Run ever.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

I hate that that iPhone game is the first place my mind went. :( Seriously though, imagine if they fully recreated the sets and got Kirk Fog back as host, and the same lovely prizes. Put that poo poo on primetime, I'd be there every week.

magic pantaloons
Jan 9, 2012

These were the poo poo as a Kindergartener.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

magic pantaloons posted:

These were the poo poo as a Kindergartener.

:colbert:

A marker you were allowed to huff!

And then sometimes there wouldn't be enough to go around, and you'd get stuck with that lame-rear end four pack...gently caress that poo poo!

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
e: ^^gently caress yeah! :thumbsup:

-Snapple Rain
-Snap bracelets
-Giant-rear end bags of Garfield tortilla chips. (I can't find a pic anywhere, and many deny it ever existed :tinfoil:)
-"Groove is in the Heart"
-Kriss Kross. LOL
-Bump in the Night
-mix tapes.
-Game Boy

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

While we're looking at old art sets...

The markers were always dry and I could never figure out how to use the pastels. :(

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

korusan posted:

While we're looking at old art sets...

The markers were always dry and I could never figure out how to use the pastels. :(

Eww yeah, and the pencils were always chalky and never gave good coverage. But you'd always get one off a relative who barely knew you and they'd point out the fact it was Barbie or Rugrat themed or whatever and that obviously made it "cool"

nuts_rice
Sep 6, 2010

Ohhh Yog Soggoth, be my teenage dream boat ;)
Okay, looked it up. Pokemon Snap was released in 1999. Anyways, every Blockbuster had one of those printers that was a total gimmick

Man I had a bunch of those low def prints of virtual characters that were already on my N64.

blaarghh
Nov 28, 2007

madlilnerd posted:

Eww yeah, and the pencils were always chalky and never gave good coverage. But you'd always get one off a relative who barely knew you and they'd point out the fact it was Barbie or Rugrat themed or whatever and that obviously made it "cool"

I got several of these every christmas from distant relatives up until I was like 15, because I'd made the mistake when I was very little of telling everyone I really liked art. It's best not to tell anyone you like anything, ever.

And on a semi-related note, I will now present a timeline of all the pencil cases that were trendy at my school in the late 90s-early 2000s :)

It's like you have a packet of crisps! But no! It's a pencil case! They also did ones that were meant to look like a giant can of coke or a tube of fruit pastilles.

A toy you can actually get away with having on your desk because look Miss, it's a pencil case! Neener neener!

What, you have an animal pencil case? You're such a baby! All the popular girls are using pink fluffy ones now!

For some reason these were really popular even though they are pretty much the nerdiest pencil case ever. I actually begged my parents to get me one for my birthday. Because look it has a separate elastic bit for each individual pen and even for the rubber and you just don't understand, I neeeeeeed one, to stop my pencils rustling about or something!

And then pencil cases just suddenly stopped being cool and you had to carry your pens in your blazer pocket or else you were a boffin :(

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

nuts_rice posted:

Okay, looked it up. Pokemon Snap was released in 1999. Anyways, every Blockbuster had one of those printers that was a total gimmick

Man I had a bunch of those low def prints of virtual characters that were already on my N64.

We actually still have parts of one of those machines in the house somewhere, I think. Family member worked a rental store that had one, and he either bought it off them after the promotion or they just let him take it home, not sure which.

But hey, a TV, an N64, and a thermal printer :woop:

TunaSpleen
Jan 27, 2007

How do I say, "You're the grossest thing ever" without offending you?
Grimey Drawer
The Crayola stamping markers: fun for 6 minutes until your teacher handed you a coloring sheet and you had to use your stamp markers to color it, which distorts the stamps into never working right ever again. Oh, and your friends with poor parents would steal your markers to play with the novelty themselves but DAMMIT LEVI STOP PRESSING DOWN SO HARD THIS IS WHY YOUR STUFF IS ALWAYS BROKEN LEAVE MINE ALONE, THIS IS WHY I GLUED YOUR FOLDER SHUT WHEN YOU WERE IN THE POTTY~~~

The Mr. Sketch scented markers: once again, fun was had until you got a coloring sheet that required some black spots, and then you got a headache from all that goddamn black licorice scent. I think I caused some minor brain damage to myself at the tender age of 6 from these things. Reflecting upon this, I can't recall any of my friends trying to steal these things and I now know why.

The lovely art set: get these every Christmas from a well-meaning much older cousin that knows nothing about you except your fondness for doodling. Alternate this with the stationery kit with stickers, envelopes, and postcards, allowing me to mail neon "Bon Voyage" cards to my cousin Ricky because the colors looked cool. For the trifecta of budding artists, get a "How to Draw _____" book by some guy that if he really knew how to draw wouldn't be selling "How to Draw" books.

1999: the ascent of gel pens. Cue me covering my hand and arm in gel pen tattoo sleeves and pissing my parents off monthly up until my high school days in 2006.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
You know what I don't miss from the 90's? Terrible YA books! Sure there was Goosebumps and R.L. Stine and all of the cool "scary" books. But all of the others were the same 'sounds cool but really were to teach you an important lesson.

"Oh know! There's an evil fortune teller living down the hall! Oh wait, she's really a kind lonely old woman who just needs a friend".

"Eww, Dad's making us eat gross stuff for breakfast! Oh wait, he's really just trying to make us eat health and live active lifestyles."

"Aliens kidnapped us! Oh wait, they just want to teach us how important it is to be kind to each other and that war is bad."

Another thing I noticed? If the main character is a boy his best friend/dog will probably die. If the main character is a girl she'll get her first period. Every time!

I read so many terrible books when I was young. :smith:

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Wandering Knitter posted:

You know what I don't miss from the 90's? Terrible YA books! Sure there was Goosebumps and R.L. Stine and all of the cool "scary" books. But all of the others were the same 'sounds cool but really were to teach you an important lesson.

And for the girls, Sweet Valley High and Sweet Valley Twins. Those were extremely popular in my area around 1990. Desperate for something to read one night a couple of years ago, I pulled one off the shelf. Yikes, it was awful.

Also when working in a middle school, someone left Whatever Happened to Janie? (sequel to The Face on the Milk Carton) on the shelf in the room I occupied. Boredom also led me to pick that up and spend my free time finishing it as form of punishment for starting it.

Lazermaniac
Sep 2, 2007
Do not stare into beam with remaining eye.
Anybody else remember Exosquad? That show was badass as all hell.

Here's an overly loud intro video in riveting 360p:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhtRMDCSzoc

magic pantaloons
Jan 9, 2012

Discussing 90's Young Adult novels and no Baby-Sitters Club? :colbert:

I know they started off in the 80's but mostly spanned throughout the 90's.

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

magic pantaloons posted:

Discussing 90's Young Adult novels and no Baby-Sitters Club? :colbert:

I know they started off in the 80's but mostly spanned throughout the 90's.

My friends and I must have been proto-hipsters thinking Babysitters Club to be too mainstream. Because for us it was AAAAAALLL about this stupid series:

What you're seeing above is essentially the plot arc of the whole series. From my fuzzy memory, the idea was that there were these four BFFs in Rhode Island and one of them had to travel to Kansas for a month for some reason, so they became pen-pals and blah. Then the friend comes back -- and immediately her family has to go back to Kansas. To keep the series going, you see.

The thin premise lasted for about seven books before they started solving mysteries and meeting aliens and poo poo.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

blaarghh posted:

And on a semi-related note, I will now present a timeline of all the pencil cases that were trendy at my school in the late 90s-early 2000s :)

I always wanted one of those hard plastic ones that had crazy buttons and secret compartments on them so it was like BAM you press that button and a sharpener pops out, OOH you turn the pink key and that drawer opens, etc. Instead I had this lame tin one that kept jamming shut and was really noisy in my bag. I remember at one point at least 6 kids in my class had a Pepsi can one though.

As for children's series with a ridiculously large number of books, I present:

The Sleepover Club! Omg let's all sleepover at each other's houses and have girly heart to hearts! Later they made them into an Australian TV series and every character seemed to turn up on Neighbours 2 years later.
I was proper jealous of the girls though because sleepovers for me generally involved being used as a make-up guinea pig, getting told off for waking up your entire family with your manic giggling, and being grumpy and headachey for the rest of the weekend because you were exhausted. Whereas the sleepover club slept over at the museum and discovered all this poo poo and all that jazz.

And Animal Ark.

These books were so lame. The plot of every single one was exactly the same- the main character finds an animal in distress, saves it (with a little help from her vet dad). The animal never dies, with the exception of the spin off series with ghost animals :iiam: where they are already dead

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Man, look at all you punkasses with your namby pamby girl books and animal hoohah. Know what I had?

Motherfuckin' time traveling tree houses and dinosaurs and pirates and ninjas and historical poo poo. What now, chumps? :smug:

Now that I think about it, these books probably are at least partly responsible for my interest in history. And apparently the lady's still writing them? I shudder to think of how many there must be by now. There are only so many ways you can reference a time of day.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Ballin Stalin posted:

I remember being 8 and laughing hysterically over this commercial with my cousin after watching hours' worth of Pokemon VHSes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_nWjN1bFRE

I remember that ad but I had no idea what it was for until now and it was kind of bugging me. Thanks for linking that!

E: I remember this one too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c_7MUGy4C0

I was a teenager before I found out this came first and wasn't a cheap ripoff of The Lion King.

PalmTreeFun has a new favorite as of 09:46 on May 10, 2012

blaarghh
Nov 28, 2007

TunaSpleen posted:

1999: the ascent of gel pens. Cue me covering my hand and arm in gel pen tattoo sleeves and pissing my parents off monthly up until my high school days in 2006.

Oh god these! They were so expensive too, like £1.35 each or £10 for a set of 10 different ones. Which is loads when you only get £5 pocket money! My teacher actually banned us from writing in them, mainly because she didn't want to have to read assignments written in banana yellow, but probably also because the sickly smell would be overpowering. I can still remember how most of them smelled. So people would just use them to colour in maps and things, which took ages and ran all the ink out. Then someone came up with a way to make it look like there was more ink in them (not sure what the point in that was), by taking it apart and sucking the ink halfway back up the tube. I did it once and got a mouthful of pale blue ink :downs:

madlilnerd posted:

Animal Ark

Wow I had forgotten about this series. They really were the most tedious thing, the story was exactly the same every time. I think they did a TV series of it too for a little while. But I really loved the Sleepover Club TV series for some reason, even though again it was always the same story...someone is upset! or jealous! or moving away! Let's have a sleepover and put aside our differences! Friends forever! I guess because their sleepovers never ended up with someone's dad coming in at 2am and yelling at them to be quiet, or everyone covering the first person to fall asleep with food, or somebody crying, and having to go home the next day with a headache and feeling sick because you'd been up all night eating sugar ... sleepovers sucked :(

Crackboom
Jan 17, 2010
I don't think I've seen this yet in the thread. This is the commercial I remember the most from childhood.

Say "from Charms". What? Cut, cut...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khVQW5yXkNg

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Lazermaniac posted:

Anybody else remember Exosquad? That show was badass as all hell.

Here's an overly loud intro video in riveting 360p:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhtRMDCSzoc
I actually just watched the first couple episodes of Exosquad on Hulu and, drat, that show was pretty heavy for Saturday morning fare.

Wolf Bronski: still the man even after 15 years.

magic pantaloons
Jan 9, 2012

madlilnerd posted:

And Animal Ark.

These books were so lame. The plot of every single one was exactly the same- the main character finds an animal in distress, saves it (with a little help from her vet dad). The animal never dies, with the exception of the spin off series with ghost animals :iiam: where they are already dead

Thoroughbred series motherfucker.

scarritt
Apr 19, 2010

Looper posted:

Man, look at all you punkasses with your namby pamby girl books and animal hoohah. Know what I had?

Motherfuckin' time traveling tree houses and dinosaurs and pirates and ninjas and historical poo poo. What now, chumps? :smug:

Now that I think about it, these books probably are at least partly responsible for my interest in history. And apparently the lady's still writing them? I shudder to think of how many there must be by now. There are only so many ways you can reference a time of day.

There are a ton. My store carries these. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Learn how to act like a human being in supposed preparation for highschool.

I always made that horrible blonde girl split her pants in soccer. Taste my villainy!

• Locked thread