Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012

Suicide Watch posted:

DSC_0717 by wholesome_, on Flickr

Not sure this is a "street" photo, but the tones sure are nice! Want to just touch it.

I kept catching people as they turned around in the sun, got some good reaction shots today.

Marlboro Reach by SirWyeth, on Flickr

At a Glance by SirWyeth, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Wyeth posted:

Not sure this is a "street" photo, but the tones sure are nice! Want to just touch it.

I kept catching people as they turned around in the sun, got some good reaction shots today.

Marlboro Reach by SirWyeth, on Flickr

At a Glance by SirWyeth, on Flickr

Completely love these. Her expression is so ... I don't even know the word for it. Something. I almost want to say "understanding".

Sinaasappelsap
May 24, 2007

Suicide Watch posted:

DSC_0717 by wholesome_, on Flickr

I have a feeling that this is Saint John The Divine Cathedral.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Sinaasappelsap posted:

I have a feeling that this is Saint John The Divine Cathedral.

yep, I was walking down to Central Park. The Morningside area is gorgeous in the springtime.

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!

LargeHadron posted:

What kind of processing did you do here? I really like this look and I want to know how to achieve it. Maybe a subtle split toning?

Thee's the obvious bumping of contrast going on which oversaturated the colours, so I pulled back on those.
The split-toning is pretty subtle:

Hope this helps!

Wyeth those street portraits are superb! I took some shots into the sun this weekend. I'm not sure if you class them as street though.

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012

Krakkles posted:

Completely love these. Her expression is so ... I don't even know the word for it. Something. I almost want to say "understanding".

Thank you. Yeah, it was weird, there were all these people swarming around and she looked so zen as I snapped the photo (*right* as she noticed me standing there), and then she kinda blinked and put her head down and wandered off. I am very curious as to what she was thinking about, because it certainly wasn't the art festival she was standing in the middle of.

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012

Clown posted:

I like the tones here, I just wish you had brought the horizon to the lower third and then those people would be more naturally a foreground element, and the horizon wouldn't be so awkward in the middle of the frame. Just to my eye though.

This kid BIT it just moments after this photo was taken. Totally ate pavement.

Long Engagement by SirWyeth, on Flickr

mes
Apr 28, 2006

^^ Skateboarding I assume? That's a pretty hilarious photo without context though.

I don't really have too much time this quarter to go out and work on some photography, usually the time I get are the in the breaks between classes.

Tiny Dog by jemuelb, on Flickr

s0meb0dy0
Feb 27, 2004

The death of a child is always a tragedy, but let's put this in perspective, shall we? I mean they WERE palestinian.

Mest0r posted:

^^ Skateboarding I assume? That's a pretty hilarious photo without context though.

I don't really have too much time this quarter to go out and work on some photography, usually the time I get are the in the breaks between classes.

Tiny Dog by jemuelb, on Flickr
I try to get out there on my coffee breaks. I don't have nearly enough of those though :(

JuanChai
Mar 3, 2007
The Chairman of the Bawd

krackmonkey posted:

This is terribly awesome. I love how vibrant and full of life you've made everyone look. Really super work. I am inspired by your commitment and undertaking.

Wyeth posted:

Great project that you also managed to, as most of us rarely do, finish. Love the sense of life, you can smell the street. Nice work!

Thanks for the valued comments! I rarely see anything through, so I was happy to get this under the belt. It's definitely given me motivation to get stuck in to a new project. After some some indecisiveness and creative block I think I have found an channel I want to explore.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable
I think I really need some practice at this:

Untitled by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Holistic Detective posted:

I think I really need some practice at this:

The second one is the best, the composition is good and the subject is interesting. The others are just pictures of people in some place, there's not really anything interesting about them to me at least. What about the others had you captivated? You want to capture the decisive moment, not just any old moment.

Colmar, 2012 by Stuart M. Baker, on Flickr

Colmar, 2012 by Stuart M. Baker, on Flickr

Straßburg, 2012 by Stuart M. Baker, on Flickr

Anmitzcuaca fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 9, 2012

coronalight
Oct 12, 2006

asdfghjkl;
Had some fun around Brooklyn today, first time really bothering people with a camera:

I can't get the last picture to scan/edit accurately.

Real diverse subject matter, I know.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

scotty posted:

Make more like this one. It's good.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

scotty posted:

Seriously, this one is really good.

mysticp
Jul 15, 2004

BAM!

scotty posted:

I will reiterate that this photograph is excellent. This is why we spend hours on the street trying to get a shot that tells a story without saying anything. It's the kind of shot that I just want to show people. Please print this and show it to more than just 'the internet'.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
This is something I definitely need to get used to. I don't know how you all photograph people/kids without getting your asses kicked. Admittedly, though, my wife is the only person who has ever gotten mad at me for pointing my camera at strangers. I'm not confident enough to photograph someone without permission unless they don't know I'm doing it. Here's a few I took yesterday that weren't very daring.

DSC01027 by Large Hadron, on Flickr

DSC01140 by Large Hadron, on Flickr

DSC01145 by Large Hadron, on Flickr

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
A few from saturday:

_72F6128 by azathosk, on Flickr

_72F6174 by azathosk, on Flickr

Menorah on Fire
Aug 20, 2006
So today was my first real attempt at "street" photo, whatever the hell that means.

The NATO protests were an awesome setting to test it out in, though.
And unfortunately I had filled my cards before the massive march through downtown at 9~ish PM happened. Time to buy more storage.

I'm still working on the full collection in Lightroom now, but here's what I've thrown on my 500px so far:

^:smug:
I know I'm a victim of split-toning.
Don't kill me, I've only been shooting since last summer.
At least it's not HDR.

Menorah on Fire fucked around with this message at 08:59 on May 21, 2012

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

scotty posted:

Had some fun around Brooklyn today, first time really bothering people with a camera:

I can't get the last picture to scan/edit accurately.

Real diverse subject matter, I know.

I can't believe the people you chose to bother, of all the people in New York, were the most insular and unwelcoming of outsiders. Takes serious balls to go traipsing around South Williamsburg photographing Hasidim, IMO.

widunder
May 2, 2002
Taking pictures of people you don't know is fun. Some shots in London with the good ol' Canon AV-1 and some crappy kit lens. I'm not experienced by any means so YMMV.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
I got a little more confident about shooting people without asking. Nobody yelled at me except my wife, so maybe I'll do this more often from now on. Once I get used to it, maybe I'll start catching people in more interesting moments.

DSC01372 by Large Hadron, on Flickr

DSC01369 by Large Hadron, on Flickr

DSC01368 by Large Hadron, on Flickr

DSC01351 by Large Hadron, on Flickr

DSC01212_a by Large Hadron, on Flickr

Hey guys where is waldo?

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!

This is an actual moment with a real mood to it AND it's well framed. Nice one. I think you messed up his skin tones in the BW conversion though. He looks black, but I don't think he's a black guy (judging from the half of his face I can see). If he IS black, then, um... Oops.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

Lon Lon Rabbit posted:

This is an actual moment with a real mood to it AND it's well framed. Nice one. I think you messed up his skin tones in the BW conversion though. He looks black, but I don't think he's a black guy (judging from the half of his face I can see). If he IS black, then, um... Oops.

Haha, he was black. You can't tell a person's race by his or her posture :colbert:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
From St. Patrick's Day:

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

I really, really like this one. I used to go to college in a small town so I saw this exact thing many times. Good choice for the angle of view. The gentle slope of the white road lines gives a sense that he is drifting casually down the street.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

35970021.jpg by spikespikespike, on Flickr

Lon Lon Rabbit
Mar 27, 2006
Here comes a special boy!

LargeHadron posted:

Haha, he was black. You can't tell a person's race by his or her posture :colbert:

Haha I was going more off face/bone structure but there's so little info there that my brain obviously filled in way too many gaps.

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012

Great shot! Composition is perfect.

It was hot out today.

Anxiety by SirWyeth, on Flickr

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I pretty much never do street photography...

Schloss Charlottenburg by hookshot88, on Flickr

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I stumbled across the Charlotte, NC, Clean & Green Festival the other weekend and had my camera on me...

Clean & Green by iantuten, on Flickr

Kids @ Clean & Green by iantuten, on Flickr

Banjo Picker by iantuten, on Flickr

Clean & Green Fest by iantuten, on Flickr

Bluegrass Band by iantuten, on Flickr

Bluegrass Band by iantuten, on Flickr

And another off-the-street shot. I was walking around and found a 99% Anti-Bank of America activism training seminar. I snapped a quick shot while I was there. The man on the left has been arrested a number of times during protests and other activist activities. I think it'd be a stronger image cropped tighter on him, but I love the woman's expression on the right.

99% Training by iantuten, on Flickr

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.

Lost now on the country miles in his cadillac by jf0315, on Flickr

unleash the unicorn fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 2, 2012

Ric
Nov 18, 2005

Apocalypse dude

Reggae street party

widunder
May 2, 2002
Love it.

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012

Hah!

I went for a leg shot the other day as well.

Eye Level by SirWyeth, on Flickr

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

Wyeth posted:

Hah!

I went for a leg shot the other day as well.

Eye Level by SirWyeth, on Flickr

Was she at all suspicious about you getting on the ground and taking a photo aimed up her skirt? Good photo though. I kind of like that the dog is out of focus. It makes it look like he got excited and jumped toward the camera at the last second.

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012

LargeHadron posted:

Was she at all suspicious about you getting on the ground and taking a photo aimed up her skirt? Good photo though. I kind of like that the dog is out of focus. It makes it look like he got excited and jumped toward the camera at the last second.

No, she and I chatted for a second as I rolled by and I just leaned down to take a quick snap, it was all decidedly uncreepy.

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012
Really good day shooting today. Sometimes things just click, and the weather was perfect.

Transit by SirWyeth, on Flickr

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Wyeth posted:

Really good day shooting today. Sometimes things just click, and the weather was perfect.

Transit by SirWyeth, on Flickr

I like this, lots of people all doing different things.

See what it looks like if you crop it in just a bit remove the half people on the edges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyeth
Apr 19, 2012

eggsovereasy posted:

I like this, lots of people all doing different things.

See what it looks like if you crop it in just a bit remove the half people on the edges.

Good call, thanks for the note. I left them in originally because it made the photo feel a little less "bounded" like more was going on outside the frame? but sure enough pulling it in makes it fell more like a contained moment. I like it.