Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it
This is a rather open-ended question and I'm going to sound like an idiot for asking it, but I've got a BENQ G2400W and was wondering if a Dell U2412M would be an "upgrade" or not in terms of image quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

boho posted:

This is a rather open-ended question and I'm going to sound like an idiot for asking it, but I've got a BENQ G2400W and was wondering if a Dell U2412M would be an "upgrade" or not in terms of image quality.

TN CCFL backlit to eIPS LED backlit = objectively huge upgrade.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
Is there anything wrong with using an LED TV as a monitor? I want to use a signle one for TV, Xbox, PS2, and primarily, my PC. I don't think most monitors come with 2 HDMI, 1 D-Sub, and 1 composite inputs.

I was thinking something like this.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...bc4cda5853fen02

Also, when it says Wall Mount specs : 75mm x 75mm. Are those dimensions the same as my VESA 75mm x 75mm monitor arm? I realize the question sounds stupid but I want to know if I'm not overlooking anything before I order it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Pretty sure they're just the same as any other low end Samsung screen (i.e. low quality TN panel) with a few more inputs and a tuner.

If you're fine with that then go for it.

boho
Oct 4, 2011

on fire and loving it

Dogen posted:

TN CCFL backlit to eIPS LED backlit = objectively huge upgrade.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

internet inc posted:

Is there anything wrong with using an LED TV as a monitor? I want to use a signle one for TV, Xbox, PS2, and primarily, my PC. I don't think most monitors come with 2 HDMI, 1 D-Sub, and 1 composite inputs.

I was thinking something like this.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...bc4cda5853fen02

Also, when it says Wall Mount specs : 75mm x 75mm. Are those dimensions the same as my VESA 75mm x 75mm monitor arm? I realize the question sounds stupid but I want to know if I'm not overlooking anything before I order it.

If you can confirm that the screen isn't a pile and doesn't do terrible things like drop every third line X/Y then yeah. Problem is that at 22" even TVs will be using TN (so it's a pile) - you can tell by the 170x160 viewing angle - for anything worth buying it's 178x178 or so.

Also when you do something like that you need to make sure it can actually work as a monitor: things like being able to turn off overscan, using sRGB or something similar instead of .709 for the color space, using 4:4:4 instead of 4:2:2 internally, and that the sharpness function actually works, and that it doesn't crush computer input into the 16~235 range of NTSC, and you know what just throw the Lagom.nl LCD test at it from an HDMI laptop and see how it does.* If the shop won't let you, don't buy things from them.

And yeah I guess either Samsung or FutureShop couldn't say VESA because that's VESA.

*Why yes, I have each of these problems on at least one of my TVs, why do you ask?

EDIT: Also note that this is just the considerations you need to make for use as a MONITOR. You may still have to deal with things like bad Playstation 2 scaling (or no support at all for things like 240p games) and sloppy HDMI handshaking locking up your TV service receiver.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 12:52 on May 5, 2012

Blackclaw
Jan 4, 2008

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER HAS A BETTER CHANCE OF RELEASING IN AUSTRALIA THAN ROCK BAND EVER WILL
So the 'old' model of the Yamakasi Catleaps (that can be overclocked) are to be sold at $460 on 120hz.net in a day or so. That includes shipping and a one-year warranty through green-sum that covers return postage as well. Pixel-perfect guarantees aren't possible.

Does that sound worth it to anyone, or would the best bet be to buy a pixel-perfect model off of eBay and wait for the 'old' PCBs to be sold individually?

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009
I saw that. When would pixel perfect ones be available?

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

Backno posted:

So the wife gave me the ok to get the monitor set up I have been eyeing (2x Asus VS229H-P and 2 monitor mount) :neckbeard:. I will be upgrading from a single 19" Acer that I got about 6 years ago on a Black Friday sale. While the U2412M was tempting, I felt having the 2 separate screens will work better with how I organize/visualize things.

So thank you SA monitor thread for all the help/suggestions for getting this all set up. With out this thread I would have probably bought something like 2 - 24" TN paneled monitors and would have been disappointed.

They arrived today. Got them set up and functioning...I get it now why IPS >>>>>>> TN. Now I just have to wait for my stand to get here on Monday.

My question is is there a good reconciliations for configuring the monitors? Setting things like brightness, sharpness, etc. Also any utilities I should be getting to make use of all this desk space now?

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
What are my options for a 30" Glossy 2650x1600 display? Is there a korean equivilant of the 27"s?

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009

Phiberoptik posted:

What are my options for a 30" Glossy 2650x1600 display? Is there a korean equivilant of the 27"s?

there are korean ones but they're not as drastic a discount, might as well buy local brands.

Blackclaw
Jan 4, 2008

DUKE NUKEM FOREVER HAS A BETTER CHANCE OF RELEASING IN AUSTRALIA THAN ROCK BAND EVER WILL

4 Day Weekend posted:

I saw that. When would pixel perfect ones be available?

gently caress knows. They're getting very antsy about people wanting pixel-perfect or multiple monitors (because it increases the chance of other buyers getting 'defective' monitors - never mind the fact that's exactly what they did on eBay).

I decided to go buy a pixel-perfect new Catleap, and when the 2B PCBs are being sold I'll buy one on its own.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Phiberoptik posted:

I don't think anyone makes a glossy 30" (Why would you want that). There are different levels of AG coatings, if Dell's is too aggressive for you I've looked at HP's ZR30w side by side both a 3007-HC and 3008-WFP and the HP certainly has less of the "crystaline" effect that Dell has. I think NEC's is closer to HP as well. Other than those folks, your options go in to even more fantastically expensive monitors like Eizos and such, none of which have glossy coatings either. Even the apple displays (back when they made 30" models) aren't glossy, and they slap glossy coatings on loving *everything*.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 5, 2012

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Blackclaw posted:

gently caress knows. They're getting very antsy about people wanting pixel-perfect or multiple monitors (because it increases the chance of other buyers getting 'defective' monitors - never mind the fact that's exactly what they did on eBay).

I decided to go buy a pixel-perfect new Catleap, and when the 2B PCBs are being sold I'll buy one on its own.

I would go buy one, but I really want a 120hz monitor.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house

Sir Unimaginative posted:

If you can confirm that the screen isn't a pile and doesn't do terrible things like drop every third line X/Y then yeah. Problem is that at 22" even TVs will be using TN (so it's a pile) - you can tell by the 170x160 viewing angle - for anything worth buying it's 178x178 or so.

Also when you do something like that you need to make sure it can actually work as a monitor: things like being able to turn off overscan, using sRGB or something similar instead of .709 for the color space, using 4:4:4 instead of 4:2:2 internally, and that the sharpness function actually works, and that it doesn't crush computer input into the 16~235 range of NTSC, and you know what just throw the Lagom.nl LCD test at it from an HDMI laptop and see how it does.* If the shop won't let you, don't buy things from them.

And yeah I guess either Samsung or FutureShop couldn't say VESA because that's VESA.

*Why yes, I have each of these problems on at least one of my TVs, why do you ask?

EDIT: Also note that this is just the considerations you need to make for use as a MONITOR. You may still have to deal with things like bad Playstation 2 scaling (or no support at all for things like 240p games) and sloppy HDMI handshaking locking up your TV service receiver.

After I posted this I realized I hadn't checked the OP (as I automatically assume most of them are seriously outdated, but this one wasn't!) but I'm still not sure what my options are.

What do goons do? Get 2 displays? One monitor and one TV? One monitor and a TV Tuner? I was kind of set on getting a TV because of all the inputs but I'd like to keep it under 24" and it seems most of those use the dreaded TN panels. The more I read about it, the more it seems like a bad idea.

Is there something I'm not thinking about here? I can't be the only one trying to do this. :ohdear:

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Most folks who have wanted a one-for-everything monitor and not been convinced to just get a separate monitor and TV have gone with a Dell U2410, as it's both a really, really nice screen and packed with inputs (off the top of my head: two DVI, HDMI, DP, composite, component, VGA, plus the ability to do picture-in-picture with a variety of these inputs).

Unless space or money are major concerns, though, a separate monitor and TV is generally preferred - the monitor for good-looking text and sRGB colorspace, and the TV for consoles and TV content. Quality of each being dependent on budget.

Sticking TV on a computer monitor is this whole big deal and mostly something only HTPC nerds do.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

So if I was looking to get 2 U2312HM monitors would it be better to purchase those directly from Dell or Amazon? Also, those are just the 16:9 23 inch versions of U2412 right? What does the HM in the name even mean?

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
IIRC it means LED backlight, and 16:9 ratio.

Just buy from whichever site is cheaper. If it's the same, ordering it direct from Dell could possibly make warranty guarantee claims easier, since they'll be able to look up your order number.

Pizer
Aug 8, 2004

Blackclaw posted:

This is what i'm planning to do as well. Is there a guarantee the 2B PCBs will be available?

also, were you able to find a "pixel perfect" that guarantees zero BRIGHT pixels as opposed to zero dead pixels? It's like they have those two backwards in terms of annoyance.

Pizer fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 5, 2012

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

rawrr posted:

IIRC it means LED backlight, and 16:9 ratio.

Just buy from whichever site is cheaper. If it's the same, ordering it direct from Dell could possibly make warranty guarantee claims easier, since they'll be able to look up your order number.

That's what I thought, I've just never ordered a monitor online before and was a little worried about the warranty from Dell in case I get bad pixels. The last time I got a monitor was like, 7 years ago but I think it's time to ditch the 1680x1050 resolution.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

rawrr posted:

Holy poo poo Dell support is mindblowingly great.

If you haven't already, send an e-mail with your satisfaction story to Nick's manager. It'll be in his signature. It helps us to get these 'Raving Fans'.

My name is actually Nick too, for a second I thought you were talking about me, but I haven't had a case like yours before. I do have another Nick in my department, though.. is his last initial happen to be M?

Phone posted:

Dell is pretty awesome after you spent 5 hours on the phone tearing your hair out.

This is a common complaint we hear. I truly do believe that Dell support coming from NA is awesome, but we do get hindered by a phone system that catches a lot of people in its web.

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003

Pizer posted:

This is what i'm planning to do as well. Is there a guarantee the 2B PCBs will be available?

also, were you able to find a "pixel perfect" that guarantees zero BRIGHT pixels as opposed to zero dead pixels? It's like they have those two backwards in terms of annoyance.
Pixel perfect is a factory option on the PCBank PB2700 for $5.00 more. I think its the best of the K monitors without a P stand.

DinosaurHouseParty fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 6, 2012

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

Revol posted:

If you haven't already, send an e-mail with your satisfaction story to Nick's manager. It'll be in his signature. It helps us to get these 'Raving Fans'.

My name is actually Nick too, for a second I thought you were talking about me, but I haven't had a case like yours before. I do have another Nick in my department, though.. is his last initial happen to be M?

This is a common complaint we hear. I truly do believe that Dell support coming from NA is awesome, but we do get hindered by a phone system that catches a lot of people in its web.

Yeah I definitely will be letting Nick's manager know. Nick's last name is P - would've been awesome if you know him.

I'm not sure how specific I want to be with my feedback though - I know he got approval to do so, but I still feel kinda dirty about it. I don't really want things to backfire and get Nick in trouble for going out of his way to make things right for me. Nonetheless it's definitely one of the very few times when I felt that the rep was genuinely on my side, rather than me having to salmon my way to what I feel would be an acceptable resolution.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Just picked up an Achieva Shimian tonight. Going to be replacing a pair of extremely well aged (7+ years) Hyundai B70A 17in monitors.

Excited to have a quality display. I'll update with the results when it gets here.

nex
Jul 23, 2001

øæå¨æøåø
Grimey Drawer
Today I have a cheap 24" BenQ and I'm looking to upgrade to something larger and nicer.

I'm really torn between Dell U2711(2560x1440) and ASUS VG278H(1920x1080), primary use-case is gaming in addition to a couple of movies here and there.
The U2711 looks great and the price is not that much higher, but my main concern is FPS at 2560x1440 when the machine is getting a bit longer in the tooth. In addition there is the question of ghosting, but I don't think I will notice.

Is it a huge waste to get 27" at 1920x1080?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

nex posted:

Today I have a cheap 24" BenQ and I'm looking to upgrade to something larger and nicer.

I'm really torn between Dell U2711(2560x1440) and ASUS VG278H(1920x1080), primary use-case is gaming in addition to a couple of movies here and there.
The U2711 looks great and the price is not that much higher, but my main concern is FPS at 2560x1440 when the machine is getting a bit longer in the tooth. In addition there is the question of ghosting, but I don't think I will notice.

Is it a huge waste to get 27" at 1920x1080?

Yes its horrible. Get one of the cheap Korean 1440p as a compromise.

nex
Jul 23, 2001

øæå¨æøåø
Grimey Drawer
Very interesting, under half price too.. :) How is yours for FPS-gaming, as in Battlefield 3?

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house

Factory Factory posted:

Most folks who have wanted a one-for-everything monitor and not been convinced to just get a separate monitor and TV have gone with a Dell U2410, as it's both a really, really nice screen and packed with inputs (off the top of my head: two DVI, HDMI, DP, composite, component, VGA, plus the ability to do picture-in-picture with a variety of these inputs).

Unless space or money are major concerns, though, a separate monitor and TV is generally preferred - the monitor for good-looking text and sRGB colorspace, and the TV for consoles and TV content. Quality of each being dependent on budget.

Sticking TV on a computer monitor is this whole big deal and mostly something only HTPC nerds do.

I think I'm in love with that monitor and it it wasn't for budget restrictions I would buy the gently caress out of this. Probably two of them, now that you sold me on the idea of having a dual monitor setup. :D

Knowing that I'm on a budget, and not too crazy about quality, would using am ASUS VS229H-P as my primary display be a good compromise? It uses an IPS panel, can be bought for less than $200, and puts out a resolution that my computer will be able to handle. Is it even worth it to go IPS at such low prices? Should I just stop caring so much and buy whatever's on sale you cheap gently caress?

Also, why are monitors most monitors 21.5" and TVs 22"? Is that just a convention or are they actually different sizes?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

nex posted:

Very interesting, under half price too.. :) How is yours for FPS-gaming, as in Battlefield 3?

Its glorious. My BF3 accuracy went up significantly from a 32" 1080p TV

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
Should I consider a U2410 from eBay? I see a few new ones on there for ~$420 shipped.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

nex posted:

I got a 27" screen with a 1080p resolution and I have no problems with it, especially in games. Obviously, the higher the resolution the better but it's certainly not unusable, then again, I'm not that much of an enthusiast like a lot of the people in this thread.

nex
Jul 23, 2001

øæå¨æøåø
Grimey Drawer
I'm not that big of a enthusiast either, so thanks for the tips.

Went for the Shimian QH270-Lite at $325 shipped. That's 61% cheaper than the U2711 here! More than worth the risk, even if I don't like it. :)

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I have a Macbook Pro, and I can't afford a Thunderbolt Display. I am wondering which is better, one Korean 27" or two U2312s and a DualHead2Go.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

internet inc posted:

I think I'm in love with that monitor and it it wasn't for budget restrictions I would buy the gently caress out of this. Probably two of them, now that you sold me on the idea of having a dual monitor setup. :D

Knowing that I'm on a budget, and not too crazy about quality, would using am ASUS VS229H-P as my primary display be a good compromise? It uses an IPS panel, can be bought for less than $200, and puts out a resolution that my computer will be able to handle. Is it even worth it to go IPS at such low prices? Should I just stop caring so much and buy whatever's on sale you cheap gently caress?

Also, why are monitors most monitors 21.5" and TVs 22"? Is that just a convention or are they actually different sizes?

Asus' IPS screens are just fine, roughly in line with the quality of non-wide-gamut Dell Ultrasharps like the U2312HM. LG also does some nice IPS screens, which isn't a surprise because they manufacture many of the actual panels in the first place. I wouldn't complain about owning one of those.

As for 21.5" vs. 22", they're probably actually the same size because of cost-cutting shenanigans and naming schemes. Read the fine print on a 22" TV, I bet it will say "22"-class" somewhere on it and possibly acknowledge a 21.5" panel size.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Factory Factory posted:

Asus' IPS screens are just fine, roughly in line with the quality of non-wide-gamut Dell Ultrasharps like the U2312HM. LG also does some nice IPS screens, which isn't a surprise because they manufacture many of the actual panels in the first place. I wouldn't complain about owning one of those.

As for 21.5" vs. 22", they're probably actually the same size because of cost-cutting shenanigans and naming schemes. Read the fine print on a 22" TV, I bet it will say "22"-class" somewhere on it and possibly acknowledge a 21.5" panel size.

So is the 2412 that much better than the 2312?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
It's got extra vertical pixels. Some people would kill for that. Otherwise, the screens are pretty comparable.

The U2410 not only has the extra vertical pixels, but it's a wide-gamut monitor suitable for color-sensitive print and TV work. The screen is a smidge bit laggier, though.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Factory Factory posted:

It's got extra vertical pixels. Some people would kill for that. Otherwise, the screens are pretty comparable.

The U2410 not only has the extra vertical pixels, but it's a wide-gamut monitor suitable for color-sensitive print and TV work. The screen is a smidge bit laggier, though.
He actually asked about the 2412, which is not a wide-gamut monitor. Still 16:10, though. The main trade off between the 2412 and the 2312 is the inch of space and 16:10 for a bit better monitor lag and 16:9: the 2312 has basically zero lag, while the 2412 has ~9ms (which is about average for most IPS monitors and is perfectly acceptable for 99% of the gaming population).

DrDork fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 7, 2012

ToastyX
Mar 15, 2004
N
yaaarrr!
The U2412M doesn't have 9 ms of lag. It's the same as the U2312HM.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

ToastyX posted:

The U2412M doesn't have 9 ms of lag. It's the same as the U2312HM.

It has an average 9.4 ms of lag. The U2312HM has an average of 0.6 ms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyX
Mar 15, 2004
N
yaaarrr!
They don't know how to test lag properly. I thought we cleared this up several months ago: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3372494&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=53#post396262199

U2412M: http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2011/review-dell-u2412m-part13.html#Latency
The latency is determined as sum of the signal delay time and half of the average frame. Key for gamers, we measure extremely short 0.9 milliseconds for the signal delay.

U2312HM: http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2011/review-dell-u2312hm-part13.html#Lag
The lag is measured as the total of the signal delay time and half of the average frame change time. We measured the signal lag, which is important for gamers, at am extremely short 1.1 milliseconds on the U2312MH.

ToastyX fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 7, 2012