Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

ToastyX posted:

They don't know how to test lag properly. I thought we cleared this up several months ago: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3372494&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=53#post396262199

U2412M: http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2011/review-dell-u2412m-part13.html#Latency
The latency is determined as sum of the signal delay time and half of the average frame. Key for gamers, we measure extremely short 0.9 milliseconds for the signal delay.

U2312HM: http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/review/2011/review-dell-u2312hm-part13.html#Lag
The lag is measured as the total of the signal delay time and half of the average frame change time. We measured the signal lag, which is important for gamers, at am extremely short 1.1 milliseconds on the U2312MH.

If you'll allow me to crib from AnandTech:

quote:

Here we see that the overall lag value measured OK, at 17ms. The input lag, which was also measured, was just under 2ms, which indicates that the Dell responds very quickly, and then it’s just a matter of the pixel response time. One thing to keep in mind here is that the 17ms response time is the total time from input to peak brightness, and then it takes 15ms to fall back to another value. When I actually look at the test subjectively and not objectively, you can certainly see the change in the pixel after 7-8ms of time. So I could report it as 8ms of lag, as that’s about what I think you would experience in a real world situation, but the worst case scenario seems to be 17ms, which is what I’m choosing to report as that’s the objective number.

So we all get to be right. Input lag, narrowly defined, is what you said. Input lag plus pixel rise/fall time (for total time difference between when a CRT displays the image and when the LCD does) is what I said. The wide discrepancy partially comes down to your threshold for saying when the pixel has responded.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 12:01 on May 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyX
Mar 15, 2004
N
yaaarrr!
If you want to include pixel response times, the numbers still don't make sense. The U2312HM does not have a total response time of 0.6 ms under any circumstances.

U2312HM: When half of the average frame change time of 8.2 milliseconds is added, the average overall lag amounts to 9.3 milliseconds

U2412M: Another 6.5 milliseconds later, the target brightness is reached. Being at 7.4 milliseconds, the mean total latency is very short

The difference between the two is about 2 ms when measured by Prad.de, with the U2412M actually being faster than the U2312HM.

Realistically, there isn't a significant difference between the two.

Rinaldi
Dec 29, 2008
Back on page 97 I saw some recommended settings for the Dell u2412. My u2312hm should be arriving today. Anyone have any links or care to share their settings for that model?

infinite99
Aug 9, 2006

ANY OF YALLS DICKS HARD??
I just pulled the trigger on a Crossover 27Q monitor but I was just thinking, will my 560ti be able to run that monitor well with gaming at native resolution at high settings? Turning down AA would be fine since it's already such a high resolution but what about other settings?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

infinite99 posted:

I just pulled the trigger on a Crossover 27Q monitor but I was just thinking, will my 560ti be able to run that monitor well with gaming at native resolution at high settings? Turning down AA would be fine since it's already such a high resolution but what about other settings?

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/547

Looks like it will be fine.

BizarroBrian
Jan 7, 2004

Dear Mr. President, There are too many states nowadays. Please eliminate three. P.S. I am not a crack-pot.
Hi guys, a few random/dumb questions...not sure if this is the best place to ask. I just upgraded my video card to a GTX 560 TI 448 and I have three lcd displays:

1) Can I force games to display across two monitors (I know that NVidia Surround won't enable without three)?

2) Can I get NVidia Surround to work if I add a third monitor through a USB adapter like this one (http://www.encore-usa.com/us/support/ENMUV-2)

3) Can I get NVidia Surround to work if I pop a cheap PCI 1x card into my mobo?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
1) Not easily

2) No

3) No

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

internet inc posted:

I think I'm in love with that monitor and it it wasn't for budget restrictions I would buy the gently caress out of this. Probably two of them, now that you sold me on the idea of having a dual monitor setup. :D

Knowing that I'm on a budget, and not too crazy about quality, would using am ASUS VS229H-P as my primary display be a good compromise? It uses an IPS panel, can be bought for less than $200, and puts out a resolution that my computer will be able to handle. Is it even worth it to go IPS at such low prices? Should I just stop caring so much and buy whatever's on sale you cheap gently caress?

Also, why are monitors most monitors 21.5" and TVs 22"? Is that just a convention or are they actually different sizes?

I seriously just bought 2 of those and love them. While it's not a 23", 24", or 27" it is fantastic. Once I got them set up I was reading a few websites and what not and was mildly impressed. Then I fired up BF3 and I literally said "HOLY poo poo" out load. Wife came in as asked what was up.

The other nice thing is if you find you want more space getting a 2nd one isn't going to take nearly as long to save up for.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

Any advice on the ASUS VS248H-P? It's big, super high contrast, backlit, and has good reviews. It's also $180 for the next few hours and I'm thinking about getting it.

somewhat related edit: anyone know if this "Daily Deal" ends after today or is it a permanent price reduction? Thanks!

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
So, I was recently lent a third monitor for the summer, and I'm trying to set it up as an auxiliary monitor, but I'm having trouble setting it up.

When I connect it to my 6870 with a DP -> DVI adaptor, and try to extend the desktop to it, Windows says unable to save display settings. I gather this means my adaptor isn't an active one.

I looked into buying an active adaptor for it, but the cheapest ones I could find sold for $25, which is more than I'd like to pay, especially given that I'm not keeping the monitor. Anyone know of a place I can find a cheaper one with shipping to Canada?

My other option is to see if I can hook it up to my IGP in my 2500k (I have an ASUS P8Z68-M Pro). Is this possible in conjunction with my 6870? I looked into it before, although I didn't look that hard.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Pedestrian Xing posted:

Any advice on the ASUS VS248H-P? It's big, super high contrast, backlit, and has good reviews. It's also $180 for the next few hours and I'm thinking about getting it.

Like every other consumer monitor, the contrast ratio is a pack of lies based on "dynamic contrast" that's good for nothing but making misleadingly large numbers and flickering annoyingly. All LCD monitors are backlit; they work by selectively filtering out the light from a backlight. LED backlights are better than the old CCFL technology in a few ways (brighter, no warmup time, lower power consumption), but they're standard in almost everything but legacy models.

That particular display is a fairly standard TN 24-incher; there's nothing at all special about it (not even the price, really; you can find plenty of other very similar monitors for $180ish). Viewing angles and color reproduction will be mediocre, but it's big and it's fairly cheap. If you want to move to something nicer, a Dell U2313HM is a good choice. It uses an IPS panel, so colors don't shift much with your viewing angle, and its overall color reproduction is much better. The stand is much more flexible, as well, and the warranty offers excellent coverage for three years. It is slightly smaller at 23", and you'll pay more - around $250 shipped is normal - but if you want to move up a bit it's a much nicer display. If you want IPS but don't want to pay a lot, you can also go with the Asus VS229H-P; that's a very inexpensive 1080p IPS display. The downside is that it's 21.5" rather than 23" or 24", and doesn't come with the Dell stand or the Dell warranty; the good news is that it's a drat good deal at about $150 right now.

Flying Spaghetti
Dec 1, 2002

Existence is overrated

Pedestrian Xing posted:

somewhat related edit: anyone know if this "Daily Deal" ends after today or is it a permanent price reduction? Thanks!

We just got in 5 of these at work. They seem very nice for the money.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

unpronounceable posted:

So, I was recently lent a third monitor for the summer, and I'm trying to set it up as an auxiliary monitor, but I'm having trouble setting it up.

When I connect it to my 6870 with a DP -> DVI adaptor, and try to extend the desktop to it, Windows says unable to save display settings. I gather this means my adaptor isn't an active one.

I looked into buying an active adaptor for it, but the cheapest ones I could find sold for $25, which is more than I'd like to pay, especially given that I'm not keeping the monitor. Anyone know of a place I can find a cheaper one with shipping to Canada?

My other option is to see if I can hook it up to my IGP in my 2500k (I have an ASUS P8Z68-M Pro). Is this possible in conjunction with my 6870? I looked into it before, although I didn't look that hard.

That's as cheap as active DP adapters get.

Running the screen off the IGP is the better idea. Boot the system, enter UEFI setup --> Advanced --> System Agent Configuration --> iGPU Multi-Monitor, flip to Enabled. Then you can install drivers for it and use it.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Worked like a charm. Thanks FF!

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah
Goons, I'm stuck trying to choose between the Dell U2312HM and the Dell U2412M. Is the price difference really worth the various differences between these two monitors?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Swimsuit Places posted:

Goons, I'm stuck trying to choose between the Dell U2312HM and the Dell U2412M. Is the price difference really worth the various differences between these two monitors?

Depends on what the price difference is at the time - be patient and the 2412 will go on sale.

Personally I think its worth it for the extra vertical resolution but if you're mainly into movies/games then native 16:9 on the 2313 could be an asset.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I think it's worth it, sure it costs a bit more, but considering how long these monitors generally last, the price difference isn't a big deal.

SmartCunt
Feb 10, 2005
hey whats up
U2412HM $299 at both Newegg and Dell.com. 48-hours for Newegg, no word on limitation for Dell. I'm probably gonna pull the trigger on this today :woop:
E: Newegg promo code: EMCNENB26

SmartCunt fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 8, 2012

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Sweet, this is the perfect excuse for more monitor :D

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's actually U2412M, no H -- in case anyone was trying to find it based on that.

Definitely tempting, as my trusty Westinghouse L2410NM has been getting more of those random HDMI "blackouts" than usual lately. And if it doesn't die soon, I could still make great use of dual 24s for my audio/video editing stuff.

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

It's actually U2412M, no H -- in case anyone was trying to find it based on that.

Definitely tempting, as my trusty Westinghouse L2410NM has been getting more of those random HDMI "blackouts" than usual lately. And if it doesn't die soon, I could still make great use of dual 24s for my audio/video editing stuff.

No its the real deal IPS. I keep thinking there must be something wrong with these guys because of the massive markdowns we've seen recently but I have a copy in-front of me and I can't find any way to criticize it especially given the price I paid (more than this sale has it pegged at).

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
poo poo I think I have to pull the trigger on this deal.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr
It comes up a few times a year, sadly I can't get the 3 i want to replace my current monitors :/ drat having to move.

diehlr
Apr 17, 2003
Remember not to use restricted post tags next time.
Alright, I'm going to sound like a nut for asking this, but does anyone know of a monitor with a decent, crisp display in the 22" 1680x1050 ballpark? The reason I am asking is because many of my clients are old folks, and at 22-23 inches, 1080p resolution has pixels that are way too small. At 22 inches, the dot pitch is above 0.28 and is a lot more readable for people with older eyes.

I've hooked up a few Dell P2210's, but the panel is somewhat washed out in appearance with a very narrow viewing angle.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Not sure if this is 100% the right thread for this, but I figure someone will know. I've been thinking of plugging my 360 into my U2412M. It only has DVI and DisplayPort, but you can get cheap HDMI -> DVI/DisplayPort adaptors, can't you? And the 360 has options to select a 16:10 output so that shouldn't be an issue, I presume it just adds bars. The question is, what do I do about sound? Won't the Xbox still be sending the sound over HDMI? Do I need to get some sort of breakout box to plug the HDMI cable into that splits the audio/video signal or something?

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Pulled the trigger on the Newegg deal, got 2 U2412Ms. Any solid recommendations for a quality double-monitor VESA mount solution? I'm very leary of Monoprice stuff that isn't a cable.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Monitor-Stand-clamp-monitors/dp/B002R9HQLI/ref=zg_bs_490624011_1

That seems to get decent reviews.

I have a single arm ergotron lx and it's pretty great, and looks muck better. Then I realized that I never really see the arms anyway since they're behind the monitor.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Pulled the trigger on the Newegg deal, got 2 U2412Ms. Any solid recommendations for a quality double-monitor VESA mount solution? I'm very leary of Monoprice stuff that isn't a cable.

The dell monitor stands are easily worth 100 bucks a pop considering all they do, kinda suprised its not mentioned in the OP.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

rawrr posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Dual-Monitor-Stand-clamp-monitors/dp/B002R9HQLI/ref=zg_bs_490624011_1

I have a single arm ergotron lx and it's pretty great, and looks muck better. Then I realized that I never really see the arms anyway since they're behind the monitor.

I got this with my monitor set up and I quite happy with it. It's 14 lbs of steel that wasn't to hard to set up. Only hard part was actually getting the part that holds the monitors onto the post, set to the right height, and tightened so it wouldn't move. Having a 2nd person to help you out makes this much easier.

The only issues I have had with it are that you can not independently set the height of each monitor and that setting the monitor height without some help is a bit of a pain in the rear end (if you don't have some help). For the cost though I am more then willing to overlook said issues.

Flying Spaghetti
Dec 1, 2002

Existence is overrated

rawrr posted:

I use this stand at work with two 24" monitors. Its very sturdy and tall enough to get the monitors up to eye level.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Sir Lemming posted:

Is there a meaningful difference between HM and M?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
They mean *something* in the world of Dell Monitor SKUs, but I'm not sure exactly what. M is for LED-backlit, rather than CCFL, but I have no clue on H.

As far as is known, the U2412M is an inch and 120 vertical pixels larger, and that's pretty much the only practical difference between the screens.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
H is 16:9 I think.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Factor Mystic posted:

Is there a meaningful difference between HM and M?

I have no idea -- it's just that I was searching for U2412HM and finding nothing, so I figured I'd pass along the tip.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

rawrr posted:

H is 16:9 I think.

This would make sense.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Rawrbomb posted:

The dell monitor stands are easily worth 100 bucks a pop considering all they do, kinda suprised its not mentioned in the OP.

I was looking into the Dell array table stand, but I can't find it sold anywhere as a standalone product.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Do the Korean 27" monitors have 100x100 or 75x75 VESA holes?

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

This monitor (ViewSonic VX2250WM-LED ) gets really good reviews on Amazon and is cheap enough that I wouldn't feel terrible getting it even after spending a lot of money on a new gaming PC.

My current monitor is old, non-widescreen, and kind of garbage.

Thinking I'll get this unless anyone her can say "no! ViewSonic is utter poo poo and Amazon reviews are completely worthless!" It's not mentioned at all in the OP (though that could be a byproduct of there being more monitors than one could reasonably review/recommend), but you guys have always given me good advice before so I figured I'd ask before I did something stupid.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
It's a TN-based panel. It's pretty much identical to any other TN-panel LCD in the same price range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

SKA SUCKS

FairGame posted:

This monitor (ViewSonic VX2250WM-LED ) gets really good reviews on Amazon and is cheap enough that I wouldn't feel terrible getting it even after spending a lot of money on a new gaming PC.

My current monitor is old, non-widescreen, and kind of garbage.

Thinking I'll get this unless anyone her can say "no! ViewSonic is utter poo poo and Amazon reviews are completely worthless!" It's not mentioned at all in the OP (though that could be a byproduct of there being more monitors than one could reasonably review/recommend), but you guys have always given me good advice before so I figured I'd ask before I did something stupid.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005S0XYKK/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

Similar size, IPS instead of TN, couple of bucks more.

Also sorry to spam about the 3 things over and over the past week or so...