Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Sometimes my bike looks at me funny and I have to knock it over and show it who's boss... Ooh you!:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I've been riding for 5 years now and yesterday was the first time I've ever gone 40 MPH into a decreasing radius exit ramp (unexpected). Scary as loving hell. I felt my heart sink once I noticed my current trajectory would put me straight into the guardrail, thankfully I snapped out of the target fixation and looked more into the turn, got more lean in and completed it, but drat did I feel dumb.

Arcane
Nov 19, 2003

There are no girls on the internet!
Well someone out there must really love me....but really hates my vehicles. I rode to work today because it was a beautiful morning and I hadn't had time to ride my bike much. I get to work and everything is fine but see that my front fender has some scuff on it.

No worries. I may have just picked up dirt on the way to work. Had a good day at work. It was so beautiful I actually got to play outside with kids. I get ready to leave and gear up. About 4 miles away I feel my tires shaking. Then I see stuff flying off the front. There is a weird clacking noise. I get off the freeway as quickly as I can and park at a near by lot.
The fender looks a lot worse now.

I call my dad and lucky for me he's actually only a mile away. He meets up with me to check it out. He turns the wheel and I see this:

Yep. Maybe I should be dead. Lucky for me I'm not. My dad and I took the bike to the shop where I bought the tires. They will replace it at no cost. However my fender is pretty much done. These are new tires, less than 50 miles on them.

So how was everyone else's Thursday?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Went for a ride in the pouring rain earlier on the RD, and had a little bit of a pants making GBS threads moment.

Went into an easy turn from an intersection, not leaned very much, and felt the rear tire let go. I was only doing about 10mph, but alluva sudden I'm backing it in through a loving intersection. Somehow I remained calm, kept on the throttle, and just tried to keep everything stable.

It caught, I got some headshake, and then went on like nothing happened. It must have looked cool, but I drat near poo poo myself.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Arcane posted:

Well someone out there must really love me....but really hates my vehicles. I rode to work today because it was a beautiful morning and I hadn't had time to ride my bike much. I get to work and everything is fine but see that my front fender has some scuff on it.

No worries. I may have just picked up dirt on the way to work. Had a good day at work. It was so beautiful I actually got to play outside with kids. I get ready to leave and gear up. About 4 miles away I feel my tires shaking. Then I see stuff flying off the front. There is a weird clacking noise. I get off the freeway as quickly as I can and park at a near by lot.
The fender looks a lot worse now.

I call my dad and lucky for me he's actually only a mile away. He meets up with me to check it out. He turns the wheel and I see this:

Yep. Maybe I should be dead. Lucky for me I'm not. My dad and I took the bike to the shop where I bought the tires. They will replace it at no cost. However my fender is pretty much done. These are new tires, less than 50 miles on them.

So how was everyone else's Thursday?

Christ what kind of tires were those? I'd sue the tire manufacturer for free tires for life. (which may be cut extremely short if you keep using them)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

I've never seen a tire delaminate like that in person, when are you bringing the bike in? Will I be back in the Bay before you do it or did you already drop it off?

Also, I feel terrible that I didn't think about the potential for delamination when you sent me that first picture. It makes perfect sense now but jesus I'm glad you're ok.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

Also, I feel terrible that I didn't think about the potential for delamination when you sent me that first picture.

If you don't type 10000 words about it, he might be killed! Quick, before the terrorists win!

Arcane
Nov 19, 2003

There are no girls on the internet!

schreibs posted:

Christ what kind of tires were those? I'd sue the tire manufacturer for free tires for life. (which may be cut extremely short if you keep using them)

They are dunlop tires. I'm getting a new tire, same brand. But the place that sold them to me is going to inspect it and try to figure out why it deteriorated like that.

Z3n posted:

I've never seen a tire delaminate like that in person, when are you bringing the bike in? Will I be back in the Bay before you do it or did you already drop it off?

Also, I feel terrible that I didn't think about the potential for delamination when you sent me that first picture. It makes perfect sense now but jesus I'm glad you're ok.

The bike is at my parents house for now. I'll remove it this weekend and take it to the place on Monday. The new tire should be in then. They want to keep the tire to inspect it but if you want to inspect it yourself first I'll hold on to it for a day. No worries. I made it out without a scratch. Have fun this weekend!

Spiffness posted:

If you don't type 10000 words about it, he might be killed! Quick, before the terrorists win!
He says this because he knows my ER visit track very well.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Arcane posted:

drat that is scary, I've never seen a tire do that

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I had a serious ... scare today. I wouldn't really say scare as I didn't get scared or anything I just got really pissed off. I was going down the main street of my town which is basically a 2 lane street with buildings on the side, sidewalks, etc, stopped at the ped-xing for the people to cross then took off again - from the ped-xing there is a hardware, a side alley then a post office - heaps of room to get through, keep an eye out for people, etc.

I'm the first vehicle in line, go across the Ped-Xing and get to the far side of the post office where a Ute is 'parked'. No indicator, nothing, when I get to equal with his rear tail light he suddenly pulls out. Had I not been in the centre of the lane and on the curb-side tyre track I would have been cleaned up instantly. As it was I reefed the bike into the oncoming traffic lane and jammed on the brakes - I remember feeling the rear one lock up but I was safe on the front one (thankfully). The stupid old prick driving the ute obviously didn't do his shoulder check and then just kept on going - didn't even notice he had nearly killed me until I blasted him with my horn and then cruised up next to him after the railway tacks about 70m up the road and started yelling abuse at him (which he couldn't hear :( ) and shaking my fist as well.

Usually getting someone pull out in front of me doesn't really effect me that much - be angry for a few minutes, curse them out and move on - I think because this one was so drat close I was livid for a few hours.

I think I would have been doing about 30km/h at the time - had it been any quicker I have no doubts I would have been either under his rear wheels or laying in his tray.

loving old people.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Arcane posted:

They are dunlop tires. I'm getting a new tire, same brand. But the place that sold them to me is going to inspect it and try to figure out why it deteriorated like that.

What pressures were you running?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Arcane posted:

:stare: tires

Was the tire a size too tall or something?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Arcane posted:

The bike is at my parents house for now. I'll remove it this weekend and take it to the place on Monday. The new tire should be in then. They want to keep the tire to inspect it but if you want to inspect it yourself first I'll hold on to it for a day. No worries. I made it out without a scratch. Have fun this weekend!

Cool we'll work it out on Sunday.

AncientTV, no, it was the correct size for the bike, it just failed internally: The tread delaminated from the core of the tire.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Two people tried to murder me on the way back to work today!

The first, I was turning right at an intersection. I waited for an appropriately-sized gap in pedestrians and got going. Some idiot stepped off the curb probably 50 feet from the intersection (right in front of me) at that point, so I dodged left and stopped hard. He stopped as well. If we'd both traveled about another two feet, I would have hit him.

Later on, I was heading through a light in the middle lane. The right lane is right turn only. A lady missed that and tried to veer into me in the middle of the intersection. I got on the horn and she stopped, so I just shot her a look and put as much distance between us as I could.

Lessons learned: I could have been riding less dongishly in the first instance. In the second, I should have had, in the front of my mind, that that intersection is a trouble spot, and I should have been covering my horn when I saw her start to dither.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

Z3n posted:

AncientTV, no, it was the correct size for the bike, it just failed internally: The tread delaminated from the core of the tire.

With no provocation? That's terrifying.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I had perhaps the antithesis of a dummy moment that just feels right to share in this thread: I crashed my car today.

A lady pulled out of an intersection and into the median of a road I was travelling down. Halfway. Boxed in without the option for a quick lane change, I had enough time to brake down to a reasonable impact speed and really regret not taking my bike today :(

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

AncientTV posted:

With no provocation? That's terrifying.

Inadequate curing from the factory. AFAIK the factory builds the carcass then applies extruded rubber to the exterior. It should vulcanize or cure together, but sometimes that process fails.

How tires are made: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/features/122_0311_michelin_tire/index.html

Flowchart: http://www.maxxis.com/Repository/Files/flowchart.pdf

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!
There was a rash of Dunlop Roadsmart delaminations over on the ST-Owners board a couple years ago, a couple of really bad wrecks from it too. :(

Rancid Liverwurst
Jan 26, 2009
Almost hit a large possum in the road. Would have been a bad night for the possum. Not sure how I'd fair through the event.

I commute to work in the daytime and return late at night. The ride is 5 miles urban and then 10 miles rural country roads. Been commuting on bike over the past several years (weather dependent) and there is one area that I'm always seeing possums hanging out in the road. Well, I hadn't seen any yet this year, so I forget to slow down.

I'm cruising along at 65 mph on a Yamaha Super Tenere (a 600 lbs sort of dual sport bike). I watched as this possum scurries across the road in front of me. I felt I two choices, do nothing or gas it. I gassed it to raise the front, weight the rear and held on. Turns out, it was a lucky night for both of us, as I barely missed running over the little guy's tail.

At the time, I didn't think much of it. I figured the bike "should" just roll through the critter and turn him into roadkill. I mentioned this to another rider at work who travels this section of road. He seems to think I would have crashed badly from hitting a 12 pound critter.

So, anyone have experience making their own roadkill while keeping it upright? Yeah, I'm going to take it slower when riding through this area again.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

TierHawg posted:

Almost hit a large possum in the road. Would have been a bad night for the possum. Not sure how I'd fair through the event.

I commute to work in the daytime and return late at night. The ride is 5 miles urban and then 10 miles rural country roads. Been commuting on bike over the past several years (weather dependent) and there is one area that I'm always seeing possums hanging out in the road. Well, I hadn't seen any yet this year, so I forget to slow down.

I'm cruising along at 65 mph on a Yamaha Super Tenere (a 600 lbs sort of dual sport bike). I watched as this possum scurries across the road in front of me. I felt I two choices, do nothing or gas it. I gassed it to raise the front, weight the rear and held on. Turns out, it was a lucky night for both of us, as I barely missed running over the little guy's tail.

At the time, I didn't think much of it. I figured the bike "should" just roll through the critter and turn him into roadkill. I mentioned this to another rider at work who travels this section of road. He seems to think I would have crashed badly from hitting a 12 pound critter.

So, anyone have experience making their own roadkill while keeping it upright? Yeah, I'm going to take it slower when riding through this area again.

Hit a raccoon on a dirtbike when I was a teenager. Bent the wheel and sent my rear end flying.

Your mileage may vary, however.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

what was motomind's suggestion, "If you can eat it in one sitting, don't swerve etc". That may have called for slight evasive maneuvers.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

I'd swerve for anything rabbit sized and bigger.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd punch it and power the front up as much as possible, should be fine.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

iwentdoodie posted:

Hit a raccoon on a dirtbike when I was a teenager. Bent the wheel and sent my rear end flying.

Your mileage may vary, however.

Years ago, I spend almost an entire day picking a fox-tail out of my chain and sprockets with a toothpick. Yes, I punched what was left of its stupid little face several times. I didn't eat it, though.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
A dog jumped out in front of my riding buddy a few hours ago. Didn't see it coming as there was waist high grass on either side of the road and it jumped out about 5 foot in front of him and he hit it at a decent speed. He is OK a gash down to the bone on his elbow and cracked bone in his hand. Very lucky he was able to walk away from it. He was wearing his full gear and his fieldsheer jacket and pants are trashed, helmet has some scratches so may be toast and his steel toe boots got ground down to the steel.

His bike slid about 150 feet and ended up in the same grass so we didn't even see it immediately. It was rideable afterwards even.

Currently in the hospital in Austin waiting for a buddy to get his truck here to haul him and the bike back to Houston.

This was on the way home from an awesome weekend in the hill country. It was a small group of experienced riders and this is the first issue all weekend. I guess sometimes there isn't anything you can do.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Well, I had an "almost" crash today, that I can officially say I saved because of reading this forum.

Went to Mt St Helens, and I don't know if I zoned and missed the sign for this turn, or what...but I went into a marked 15mph curve at what I'm guessing was almost 40, given my average speeds.

Went in way too hot, started pushing wide, almost poo poo myself...then suddenly I remembered everything I had read. I pushed in harder on the bars, added a bit of throttle, and leaned for all I was worth while forcing myself to just keep looking through the turn.

So, I've officially drug knee now (in textile pants without knee sliders...) and elbow and I'm not sure if I ever want to experience that poo poo again, especially without meaning it to happen. I was dragging hard parts as well, and it is a loving miracle I made it out of it.

Rest of the ride wasn't even that fun, I was so on edge from that one incident that it was really hard to let myself relax again. On a sportbike or motard, probably would have been no loving problem. My RD? It became an almost incident real fast.

Lessons learned? Slow the gently caress down and don't look at the scenery. It'll still be there when you stop, no need to gaze around like a passenger in a car. And also, learned that sometimes reading Z3n posts is worth it :D

deliverator
Aug 8, 2000
you know i'm your Hiro
Twice this weekend I nearly got annihilated by supermoto guys who swing wide into my lane while backing it in around a blind corner. You fuckers!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

deliverator posted:

Twice this weekend I nearly got annihilated by supermoto guys who swing wide into my lane while backing it in around a blind corner. You fuckers!

You know, there was a group of guys on motards when I was riding earlier who were doing the same poo poo. One almost got creamed by a car while I was watching...because he swung the rear end out into the other lane backing it in around a blind turn.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

iwentdoodie posted:

Well, I had an "almost" crash today, that I can officially say I saved because of reading this forum.

Went to Mt St Helens, and I don't know if I zoned and missed the sign for this turn, or what...but I went into a marked 15mph curve at what I'm guessing was almost 40, given my average speeds.

Went in way too hot, started pushing wide, almost poo poo myself...then suddenly I remembered everything I had read. I pushed in harder on the bars, added a bit of throttle, and leaned for all I was worth while forcing myself to just keep looking through the turn.

So, I've officially drug knee now (in textile pants without knee sliders...) and elbow and I'm not sure if I ever want to experience that poo poo again, especially without meaning it to happen. I was dragging hard parts as well, and it is a loving miracle I made it out of it.

Rest of the ride wasn't even that fun, I was so on edge from that one incident that it was really hard to let myself relax again. On a sportbike or motard, probably would have been no loving problem. My RD? It became an almost incident real fast.

Lessons learned? Slow the gently caress down and don't look at the scenery. It'll still be there when you stop, no need to gaze around like a passenger in a car. And also, learned that sometimes reading Z3n posts is worth it :D

Something similar happened to be a couple weeks back, except it was a familiar turn that I make regularly, and I pushed myself harder because of my familiarity with it. I went in too hot and was headed right for the curb, but all I've read here came rushing back. I told myself, "stop fixating on the loving curb and look through the turn," pushed hard on the bar, and kept the throttle steady. Made it with a foot to spare.

So, yea, I guess that's another testimony that some of you people know what you're talking about.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The bike basically always has more to give than our brains think is possible. Glad both of you guys made it out ok :)

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Z3n posted:

The bike basically always has more to give than our brains think is possible. Glad both of you guys made it out ok :)

I'm just glad I was able to stay somewhat calm and remember everything. I guess it proves that MSF and just generally educating yourself really does work wonders.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Z3n posts have saved my rear end (literally) more than once. Glad it worked out for you too!

Once you realize motorcycles can basically Magikarp through corners, you start to build a good bastion of fortitude that diverts many potential panic situations.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
Wasn't me but a guy on a bike was jamming along behind me and came to a stop next to me in the right lane while I was in my car. I looked over and saw his kickstand was still down so I started honking like crazy and waving at him to get his attention. Finally I got him to look down and see what he was doing and he looked at me with "holy poo poo" wide eyes and kicked it back up. Gave me a thumbs up and he puttered off into the distance while I sat in traffic feeling good for helping but feeling bad since I cant lanesplit. :unsmith:

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Wasn't me but a guy on a bike was jamming along behind me and came to a stop next to me in the right lane while I was in my car. I looked over and saw his kickstand was still down so I started honking like crazy and waving at him to get his attention. Finally I got him to look down and see what he was doing and he looked at me with "holy poo poo" wide eyes and kicked it back up. Gave me a thumbs up and he puttered off into the distance while I sat in traffic feeling good for helping but feeling bad since I cant lanesplit. :unsmith:

Ugh, I did that a couple times on my first bike. I usually noticed pretty quickly as I heard it scraping through the gas station parking lot, but it's still a scary sound. I'm so happy to have a modern bike that won't let me ride with the stand down.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

orthod0ks posted:

Ugh, I did that a couple times on my first bike. I usually noticed pretty quickly as I heard it scraping through the gas station parking lot, but it's still a scary sound. I'm so happy to have a modern bike that won't let me ride with the stand down.

I have that too - I love it when I forget it's down and sit there looking like a retard when I go to take off and the bike keeps stalling for a while until I realise. Usually takes me about 5 goes. There's always people around for that as well...

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender
Haha I forgot the kickstand once. With the taller dirt wheels on the bike, it needs to lean over pretty far before the stand makes contact so I made it several blocks before there was a fast enough left corner for the stand to hit the ground. Felt the sharp impact all through the frame and handlebars. Felt the back wheel lifted up and out mid turn.

I realized pretty quickly what had happened, but still rode that spike of adrenaline the rest of the way home. Giving the raised stand a little double heel tap is now part of my startup ritual.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MonkeyHate posted:

Giving the raised stand a little double heel tap is now part of my startup ritual.

Always, always, always. I swing my leg through the place where the kickstand would be every time I take my foot from the ground to the peg. I've only forgotten once in the last 3 years but most of my bikes have the kickstand cutouts disabled for one reason or another and it would have sucked to hit it on the ground.

I also plant my foot behind the kickstand and push forward when I get ready to lean the bike over on to the stand...saves me if the stand has folded up a bit. That happens a lot more often, probably about once a month, usually while moving the bikes around in the garage.

Surly
Oct 3, 2003
Looks out for one guy; Surly

Z3n posted:

Always, always, always. I swing my leg through the place where the kickstand would be every time I take my foot from the ground to the peg. I've only forgotten once in the last 3 years but most of my bikes have the kickstand cutouts disabled for one reason or another and it would have sucked to hit it on the ground.

I also plant my foot behind the kickstand and push forward when I get ready to lean the bike over on to the stand...saves me if the stand has folded up a bit. That happens a lot more often, probably about once a month, usually while moving the bikes around in the garage.
Just curious, why would you disable the cutout? I know it's saved my forgetful rear end a couple of times.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Surly posted:

Just curious, why would you disable the cutout? I know it's saved my forgetful rear end a couple of times.

Seems like 50% of the bikes I end up owning either are ex racebikes, so the cutout is gone because they don't run kickstands, or they have been disabled because the switch broke, wiring got worn through, someone reinstalled a cover incorrectly and pinched the wires...

Give the choice, I leave the cutout in place, but if it's already gone I wont fix it, because :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender

Surly posted:

Dual sport guys often disable them because off-road jumps and bumps can cause the kickstand to bounce around enough to kill the motor. At least so the popular theory goes. Other reasons I hear are: It's one more thing to break and cause problems in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes it's easier to kick start a tall bike when it's on its kickstand.

My stator died in the middle of a three day offroad adventure ride, so that last one is the reason I'm really glad the PO got rid of the cutout on my DRZ.

• Locked thread