Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Frozen-Solid posted:

BeWeather is awesome. They just updated with a new Tablet/ICS interface and it's the best weather app there is.

Great app. Kind of lovely that in order to get the widgets to look like they do in the screenshots for the free version, you have to buy the pro version. The app itself works well though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

LastInLine posted:

I don't know about Sense but in stock Android you can do shortcuts to any of your contacts that when pressed give you a direct link to anything associated with them (Phone, SMS, Talk, Navigate to, etc).

As for folders I'll let someone who uses them give you advice on that.

Alternative launchers are the best way to utilize homescreen space in my opinion (unless you're married to Sense widgets which won't work with alternative launchers). Most notably you can increase the grid size, gain a swipeable dock which would give you fifteen shortcuts, have swipe actions on those (for a total of thirty shortcuts in the dock alone), and also give you swipe actions for the screen itself. You can also add or subtract homescreens and customize icons for a cohesive look and feel.

You didn't mention whether you were on Gingerbread or Ice Cream Sandwich but there are good alternative launchers for each all with mostly the same featuresets.

Thanks man. I'm on ICS. I love the idea of transparent widgets so I'm not actually using any of the Sense ones at the moment. Maybe I'll look at alternative launchers again. I tried a few but they always seemed slightly less stable than Sense. Like the screen would flicker a bit when I unlocked, and they seemed slower (maybe my imagination).

Steriletom
May 11, 2009

My inability to write has angered the ghost of Thunderdome! Beware my example, lest you be haunted.

fuf posted:

Is there a small widget that will show the last 3 or 4 people I contacted with little buttons for phone and sms?

Also sometimes in screenshots I see that people have the apps on their homescreen organised into little areas with a border around them and a title like "games". Like a folder that is always open. What's a good app/widget for doing that? (Or is it an alternative launcher?)

Any other tips for good ways to utilise homescreen space? I feel like Sense isn't really taking advantage of my massive screen.

What the post directly below yours says + Circle Launcher.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

MisterBibs posted:

Has anyone used Carrr Matey? I'm going to be going somewhere that I'm not very familiar with, I'm horrible with spatial directions, and I need a "I forgot which direction my car is in" app.

I use it everytime I park at the airport. Works great for what it is supposed to do.

wanderlost
Dec 3, 2010
I'm looking for a cross-platform, locationsharing app. I work for a traveling production company. 20 of us show up in a new city twice a week and while each of us have smartphones, getting location data shared among the group is not great. I have an iPhone and a few of us have started using Find Friends, but that's iOS only, and most of the people on the bus have android devices.

We want something that allows people to see where other people in the crew are on a map, select an individual and plot a route to them. It would also be great if we could issue proximity alerts or sort members based on distance.

Any ideas?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
How about Latitude?

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/google-latitude/id306586497?mt=8

Note its going to be nasty on battery.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
It is? I haven't noticed a hit to battery since the initial buggy releases.

Latitude would be a good solution and works very well in real time when everyone keeps their wifi on (even if not connecting to them).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Yeah its not too bad on Android but apparently its still a hog on the iPhone. Ymmv though, my iPhone using friends are extremely sensitive about battery life for some reason.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Does anyone have a problem with google search not coming up with any of the installed apps on your phone? Hitting the magnifying glass button and typing in an app name should make it pop up in search (since I made sure I had app names as one of the searchabe fields in the google search settings) but nothing ever comes up :(

Everything else seems to be fine.

E: literally right after I posted this it started working :psyduck:

E2: ok some apps show up, some don't and the ones that do/don't keep changing. Does anybody know what's going on with this app?

chocolateTHUNDER fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 6, 2012

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Is there a good SMS app that doesn't render the menu key in ICS? For some reason HTC decided that you should be unable to disable emoticons on the One X, and I'd switch but everything I use ends up showing the solitary software menu key at the bottom.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I'd just install the stock MMS.apk from an AOSP ROM, it doesn't use the menu key in the soft keys, it has it's own little bar thing. Plus it's the best looking of any SMS app IMO.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

fuf posted:

Maybe I'll look at alternative launchers again.

I've been using Apex launcher since I posted this, and I really like it so far. The thing is it doesn't have a lockscreen (I think) so the Sense one is still showing up. Any recommendations for cool looking lock screens?

I'd also appreciate recommendations for a scrollable twitter widget, and also phone, sms and gmail icons/widgets that have 'unread' numbers.

(I know I can search for this stuff but the choice is overwhelming sometimes and it's hard to know what to trust. Hope no one minds the dumb questions.)

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I've got this problem where I have the Amazon Appstore installed but it keeps telling me invalid username or password - but it's not. I've reset my password several times and can log in just fine on my pc, but it's always telling me they're wrong. Anybody have any ideas?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

fuf posted:

I'd also appreciate recommendations for a scrollable twitter widget
Plume has a scrollable widget and it's probably the best twitter client for Android right now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

I've got this problem where I have the Amazon Appstore installed but it keeps telling me invalid username or password - but it's not. I've reset my password several times and can log in just fine on my pc, but it's always telling me they're wrong. Anybody have any ideas?
Aside from clearing the app data entirely and maybe even uninstalling and deleting the folders for it in the filesystem then reinstalling I'm not sure what else I'd try.

Amazon customer support isn't bad if that doesn't fix the issue.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

gmq posted:

Plume has a scrollable widget and it's probably the best twitter client for Android right now.

Thanks I'll check it out.

Ended up buying Apex pro because it does the unread icon thing.

Posting my homescreen because I just wasted two hours on it:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

fuf posted:

What are the wifi and 2G widgets down in the corner?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

ThermoPhysical posted:

What are the wifi and 2G widgets down in the corner?

Yeah, I was curious about that too.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Network signal widget:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cls.networkwidget

wifi signal widget:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cls.wificls

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Thanks!

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
What is the best ebook reading app out there? I was initially going to use Play Books until I found out that you can't add your own books to it, which is a bummer. I would like something that lets you easily import and lets you display books by author, thats really the only thing I care about when looking for a reader app.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Porkchop Express posted:

What is the best ebook reading app out there? I was initially going to use Play Books until I found out that you can't add your own books to it, which is a bummer. I would like something that lets you easily import and lets you display books by author, thats really the only thing I care about when looking for a reader app.

Moon+ Reader is the best ebook reader.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Moon+ Reader is the best ebook reader.

I tried it, but I couldn't find a way to sort by author :-/

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I was a fan of Aldiko myself.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

Porkchop Express posted:

I tried it, but I couldn't find a way to sort by author :-/

I think if you click on the star in the folder your books are in, then hit the Home button in the corner and click on My Shelf, they should show up. Then you can do an author sort.

edit: scratch that. Just going to My Shelf will allow you to choose the location of your books and import them.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Vykk.Draygo posted:

I think if you click on the star in the folder your books are in, then hit the Home button in the corner and click on My Shelf, they should show up. Then you can do an author sort.

edit: scratch that. Just going to My Shelf will allow you to choose the location of your books and import them.

Well son of a bitch, that worked! I swear there was no option for that before!

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Can someone tell me why opening up the play music app sometimes opens up the scoremobile sports app? It's the only app it apparently gets confused with :psyduck:

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

It's a bug, happens to me sometimes too. Kill the Music process open it again and it should work fine.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Drifter287 posted:

It's a bug, happens to me sometimes too. Kill the Music process open it again and it should work fine.

This also happens to me with Messenger and Foursquare. Just those two. :psyduck:

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Can someone tell me why opening up the play music app sometimes opens up the scoremobile sports app? It's the only app it apparently gets confused with :psyduck:

Let me guess, you are on 4.0.2?

It's fixed in 4.0.4.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Jensen posted:

Let me guess, you are on 4.0.2?

It's fixed in 4.0.4.

I'm on a Droid 3 running 2.3.4 :v:

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

fuf posted:

How did you make the system, media, games shortcut thingys?

Thats a really slick homescreen.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
You can just make a picture on mspaint (or word or anything else really) and set it up with desktop Visualizer.

Anyone tried LMT Launcher? You can do pretty much anything (home/back/menu, open an app) with gestures. Works pretty well but you need root.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

AnimalChin posted:

How did you make the system, media, games shortcut thingys?

Thats a really slick homescreen.

Quick answer: 2x1 Simple Text widgets.

Longer answer: Apex has "apex action" shortcuts for switching to different screens (which is what those icons do), but for some reason it doesn't let you resize them. But Apex pro does let you overlap widgets, so I removed the shortcut text and used a transparent icon (again made with Simple Text) to make the 1x1 apex action shortcuts totally hidden (careful with these), then put my nice-looking 2x1 Simple Text widgets (with the action set to "none") over the top.

Obviously the problem is that the shortcuts only work if you press the 1x1 area where the apex action shortcut is. It's not a very good solution but I'm hoping that Apex will just make their action shortcuts resizable soon (it's one of the top requested features).

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

wanderlost posted:

I'm looking for a cross-platform, locationsharing app. I work for a traveling production company. 20 of us show up in a new city twice a week and while each of us have smartphones, getting location data shared among the group is not great. I have an iPhone and a few of us have started using Find Friends, but that's iOS only, and most of the people on the bus have android devices.

We want something that allows people to see where other people in the crew are on a map, select an individual and plot a route to them. It would also be great if we could issue proximity alerts or sort members based on distance.

Any ideas?

I know I'm a little late but Glympse is good for this and is cross-platform.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
I'm trying to download the latest CM9 nightly on my GNex using ROM Manager, and the download keeps failing.

It's been doing this for several nightlies now. Is there something wrong with the app, or is it the server?

I've tried clearing the app cache & data to no avail.

rum
Aug 23, 2007
Does anyone know of a messaging app that receives group sms? The vast majority of my friends have iPhones and being unable to partake in the group texting shenanigans is a real bummer. I've tried Go SMS Pro, but it didn't seem to work.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

rum posted:

Does anyone know of a messaging app that receives group sms? The vast majority of my friends have iPhones and being unable to partake in the group texting shenanigans is a real bummer. I've tried Go SMS Pro, but it didn't seem to work.

Use facebook messenger. It's the best group messaging app that's ever been created (on any platform).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.facebook.orca&hl=en

rum
Aug 23, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Use facebook messenger. It's the best group messaging app that's ever been created (on any platform).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.facebook.orca&hl=en

It's not ideal as everyone who would want to add me to a group text would have to do so through Facebook or its Messenger rather than just my number. I'd much rather inconvenience just myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

rum posted:

It's not ideal as everyone who would want to add me to a group text would have to do so through Facebook or its Messenger rather than just my number. I'd much rather inconvenience just myself.

I know for a fact that the MotoBlur built-in text app supports iPhone like group conversations, so maybe you could find a Motoblur rom and strip the "MMS.apk" file (I believe that's what they call the texting app on android) and install it on your phone?

Seems like a bit of work but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Plus Blur's stock messaging app is the best looking one out there :smugdroid:

• Locked thread