Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FlyingCheese posted:

Yeah but there are a lot of reports of network issues. The Sprint network thinks you you're on Virgin Mobile. It doesn't seem to happen for everyone, but I don't know if it's worth the risk.

And as far as Sprint network speeds go, I'm getting 1.5mbps down and 500k up in NYC. Still takes forever for google maps to load.

Only if you flash the Virgin Mobile firmware, which may not even be necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm using clean rom and no firmware flash is necessary.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Whats the disadvantage going to the straight talk plan? Roaming coverage? If you stick with the AT&T straight talk plan, youre coverage would be good enough for most anything, and presumably your phone would have a swap-able SIM card for international use...having trouble justifying the continued contract extension.

As I understand it their terms of service basically preclude you from streaming anything (audio, video, YouTube, netflix, etc) and even though the data is unlimited they reserve the right to cancel your plan (since it's no contract) if you use more than a GB or so worth of data on a regular basis. This still might not be a bad deal depending on your usage but from what I can tell that's the "catch". Also it seems that their customer support is abysmal.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Alucardd posted:

I just preordered the LTE EVO to replace my OG EVO 4G and it looks like the 18th release date is pretty much confirmed because my order ships the 15th. I am quite excited for the upgrade especially after seeing those battery benchmarks on the AT&T One X.

EDIT: Oh, and also excited about being in the first round of the LTE rollout

Just pre-ordered mine. I called up and sat through this lady trying to sell me things because I thought I could get the activation fee waived, but she told me that due to the contract with my company discount, I can't get that fee waived. Oh well. She said I would get it on the 17th or 18th.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Oh that's good then. What's the best one to go with so far? CleanROM?

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
This is the closest to stock ICS rom so far: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1639235

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

tomguycot posted:

As I understand it their terms of service basically preclude you from streaming anything (audio, video, YouTube, netflix, etc) and even though the data is unlimited they reserve the right to cancel your plan (since it's no contract) if you use more than a GB or so worth of data on a regular basis. This still might not be a bad deal depending on your usage but from what I can tell that's the "catch". Also it seems that their customer support is abysmal.

Straight talk pretty much doesn't have customer support.

So far, my only two complaints on my galaxy nexus is battery life and I don't think it gets the best signal (hopefully it can be fixed like the nexus s was). Not a big deal for me, but I will say I will likely recommend the Evo LTE for non-nerds if the battery life is better.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
I'm a nerd and want the EVO LTE due to the superior spec's and screen. Eventually I'm sure it will have solid CM9+ support, because the hardware is going to be very popular and development will happen, unlike the 3D which had a side effect of hampering development.

Meanwhile, I think Sense 4 looks just fine and don't have a problem with it.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I've been sitting on an upgrade for a year and a half and wasting money, and it's time for me to jump from an original Evo to something new. I'm trying to decide between the Galaxy Nexus and Evo 4G LTE. I'm leaning more towards it for the microSD slot, kickstand, and supposedly good battery life. I wish it had a removable battery or since it's around the same thickness, a super battery like the Razr MAXX, but what can you do...

I already felt my Evo was a little large since I've got tiny hands, and worse so with my silicone case (Otterbox Impact). But since there isn't much I can do about physical size in new phones that without switching to an iPhone, switching carriers, or getting a way less-powerful phone, how have the reviews for the Evo 4G LTE been covering the physical feel of the phone in your hand?

For it to even have a chance of fitting in my pocket, I'll have to have a very minimal bumper-style case for it. At that point, it should be serviceable, but I figure I might need to attach something textured to the back to get some grip. After I removed the Evo's cover about two weeks ago, I couldn't believe how slick it was. I've already dropped it onto a concrete floor once while trying to take a picture.

I wish it was as simple as going into a store now and trying a Nexus to see what the new Evo might feel like, but since it's got a different build from even the One X, I guess I don't have many options. If I can convince myself that going for the new Evo is a good thing, I'd love to preorder it and get it on launch day like a spoiled kid.

Jensen
Jun 4, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Straight talk pretty much doesn't have customer support.

So far, my only two complaints on my galaxy nexus is battery life and I don't think it gets the best signal (hopefully it can be fixed like the nexus s was). Not a big deal for me, but I will say I will likely recommend the Evo LTE for non-nerds if the battery life is better.

Battery life was my main concern too. After owning the device for over a week now though the battery life has come out as "average" and not "terrible". I just got 22 hours with 2.5 hours of screen on, including a fair amount of bluetooth streaming.

The only thing that concerns me is the variability with the 3G radio. It seems like sometimes the thing will just CHEW through your battery on 3G while the phone is off. But, as a test, I left it on 3G last night when I slept and it only burned 14% over 7 hours which wasn't too bad.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Do any ICS Roms work with bluetooth on the evo 3D?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

TLG James posted:

Do any ICS Roms work with bluetooth on the evo 3D?

I thought that all of the sense 3.6 Virgin Mobile leak roms were feature complete.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
Amazon has the Sprint Galaxy Nexus for $150, and you still get the $50 Google Wallet credit.

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

Lowen SoDium posted:

Hopefully, Network Vision will take care of this.

Right guys?

It certainly does. I'm a premium member over at s4gru.com and the dude who runs the site keeps posting updated maps of live towers and you can see the progress being made. He has contacts inside sprint and the vendors (apparently). The new towers have radio units on the tower behind the antenna so they have 20% better signal generally, sometimes way more so in areas near the live towers the indoor signal is better too.

Here in the DFW area the towers with upgraded backhaul tend to yield 1-2Mbps speeds and the number of upgraded towers increases every week. They are supposed to be launching LTE here by June. They will probably be 60 days late but it is definitely ramping up.

People were seeing LTE at first but Sprint has recently shut that off unless you are using one of their test devices.

Edit: they are also shutting down Nextel iDEN in the 800Mhz band. It is large enough to hold one voice channel and one LTE 5x5 channel but the LTE will have to wait until iDEN has been turned off in 2014. In the mean time they have sliced off a few frequencies and are rolling out a voice channel. It has been confirmed that Chicago is live now so if your Sprint phone supports 800Mhz (SMR band) and you are near an upgraded tower you should see ridiculously better in-building voice coverage. On the flip side handoff between NV towers and old towers can be flaky so you may have more dropped calls for a few months but as more and more NV towers go live that problem will be solved.

Simulated fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 8, 2012

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Ender.uNF posted:

It certainly does. I'm a premium member over at s4gru.com and the dude who runs the site keeps posting updated maps of live towers and you can see the progress being made. He has contacts inside sprint and the vendors (apparently). The new towers have radio units on the tower behind the antenna so they have 20% better signal generally, sometimes way more so in areas near the live towers the indoor signal is better too.

Here in the DFW area the towers with upgraded backhaul tend to yield 1-2Mbps speeds and the number of upgraded towers increases every week. They are supposed to be launching LTE here by June. They will probably be 60 days late but it is definitely ramping up.

People were seeing LTE at first but Sprint has recently shut that off unless you are using one of their test devices.

Where in DFW? Will I actually be able to use my phone inside of North Park Mall?!

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice
This is the Dallas market, all cell sites

Here are the NV complete sites. There are way more than even a few weeks ago - they seem to be ramping up quickly. There are two towers that look close to Northpark but neither have been upgraded yet.

At the s4gru.com site you can donate a few bucks and get access to live versions of those maps that you can scroll/zoom on plus a bunch of other cell nerd crap that I greatly enjoy wasting time reading about.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

Ender.uNF posted:

There is a lot of good info about NV on that site. There should be 14 markets live in May and 27 more either this summer or winter. It looks like Phoenix wont be active until winter or early 2013 in phase 2.5.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I assume Omaha is getting the shaft again, judging from the forums on s4gru.

We must be the last city on the list or something, an afterthought on the way home.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

Reporting back on my issues with being unable to install the update while unlocked/rooted on the stock ROM, I think the program I used before (Wug's Toolkit or something like that) installed an incorrect or outdated CWM recovery. I used "Galaxy Nexus ToolKit v6.1" to do its multi step process of unlocking/rooting/flashing CWM, and in doing so it put me on a Sprint-specific CWM. Once this happened, I installed the flashable updated radio, and instead of getting an error (Error 7 or something like that) it worked. I then installed an update-without-radios image and that worked too. I'm not sure if this means OTA updates will now work (I guess I should have tried that first), but at least I'm running the latest stuff. If anyone else was having issues like I was, I hope this helps someone.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Gah, I pre-ordered through Sprint yesterday for $200. Now I'm seeing that I could have ordered through Wirefly for $150. http://i.imgur.com/ZtrTR.jpg

Can I call Sprint and get $50?

edit- Nope. Sprint doesn't match affiliate prices. If you buy from the affiliate, the contract is through them and not through Sprint.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 8, 2012

ehonna_disco
Apr 26, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I paid that extra $50 to be connected through Sprint itself. I went through an affiliate the first time around and it was a pain in the rear end.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Looks like I'm getting a Galaxy Nexus. I've pretty much stuck with CM on my previous phones for AOSP, but, uh, that's not really going to be necessary with this since it's already AOSP. Does it offer any significant benefits? Or, does this AOKP thing that I keep hearing about? XDA's being typically unhelpful when it comes to finding out what they've actually added on to AOSP for ICS.

St. Blaize
Oct 11, 2007
Any chance that Radio Shack will be offering a trade in credit for the Evo LTE like they did for the 3d?

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

I gave in and ordered an EVO LTE today (yes, I'm just hoping for the best regarding rooting/ROM development). A couple questions:

I'm on an Everything Plus 500 plan and a Premier Gold customer (which I recognize means poo poo) - how likely is it I'll be get my $36 activation fee waived?

My wife is on an old SERO plan with a dumbphone. If I give her my current EVO 4G, is there a way for her to keep that plan and just pay a $10 monthly smartphone fee? Or are they still forcing people off SERO if they want a fancy-ish phone?

snKestren
Jun 25, 2008

iluvpr0n posted:

I gave in and ordered an EVO LTE today (yes, I'm just hoping for the best regarding rooting/ROM development). A couple questions:

I'm on an Everything Plus 500 plan and a Premier Gold customer (which I recognize means poo poo) - how likely is it I'll be get my $36 activation fee waived?

My wife is on an old SERO plan with a dumbphone. If I give her my current EVO 4G, is there a way for her to keep that plan and just pay a $10 monthly smartphone fee? Or are they still forcing people off SERO if they want a fancy-ish phone?

You have to upgrade to SERO Premium which is another 10 bucks extra on top of her current SERO plan, then you have to pay the 10 dollar 4G fee.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Is anyone else receiving texts hours after they're sent? It's happening to both my girlfriends and I's phones lately. This is really annoying because I depend on texts for work stuff.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

FlyingCheese posted:

Is anyone else receiving texts hours after they're sent? It's happening to both my girlfriends and I's phones lately. This is really annoying because I depend on texts for work stuff.

It has been happening to both myself and a coworker lately but I am pretty sure it's due to a problem with the tower near where I work (because I don't have this happen anywhere but work).

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

St. Blaize posted:

Any chance that Radio Shack will be offering a trade in credit for the Evo LTE like they did for the 3d?

Sprint is currently offering a trade in credit of about $90-100, I'm sure RadioShack will too.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I've got another EVO problem (sorry duckman :()

I've always known the battery that came with the phone was for the Touch Pro 2, and that's fine, it works just as fine as the standard EVO battery. But I guess since I charge it a lot or rather I leave it charging after it's at a full charge (this isn't good is it?) the battery has become bloated. I can't close the battery cover anymore and it's weird.

I don't know if maybe letting it cool would let the swelling drop but either way Amazon had the standard EVO 4G battery for only $4 with shipping so I bought a new one just in case.

It really sucked since I noticed the battery dying on me after a call. It was super weird, I should practice better habits when it comes to charging I guess.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Skeezy posted:

I've always known the battery that came with the phone was for the Touch Pro 2, and that's fine, it works just as fine as the standard EVO battery. But I guess since I charge it a lot or rather I leave it charging after it's at a full charge (this isn't good is it?) the battery has become bloated. I can't close the battery cover anymore and it's weird.

I don't know if maybe letting it cool would let the swelling drop but either way Amazon had the standard EVO 4G battery for only $4 with shipping so I bought a new one just in case.

It really sucked since I noticed the battery dying on me after a call. It was super weird, I should practice better habits when it comes to charging I guess.

If your battery is misshapen, you probably should stop using it before it explodes :pwn:

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
College Slice

Vykk.Draygo posted:

If your battery is misshapen, you probably should stop using it before it explodes :pwn:

This is not a joke. Li-on batteries often bulge when they are going bad and as a prelude to a fire.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

It's nothing crazy, just enough bloat that I can't close the battery cover. It's a tiny bit.

Either way I should have the new battery next week.

SneakyCracker
Oct 28, 2003

IRC - Its nothing more than multiplayer notepad.

Skeezy posted:

It's nothing crazy, just enough bloat that I can't close the battery cover. It's a tiny bit.

Oh. In that case, It might explode just a tiny bit.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

SneakyCracker posted:

Oh. In that case, It might explode just a tiny bit.

I can live with that.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

After staying in stock Touchwiz for so long on my E4GT, I decided to flash to CM9. Go Launcher was too heavy and Widget Locker was becoming too buggy.

No regrets. I'm still fine-tuning everything, but I love how everything looks and feels. I especially like the new Google Music widget since it finally has a back button and can be controlled in the lockscreen. (something that made buy Widget Locker in the first place)

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Skeezy posted:

I can live with that.

Lithium Ion batteries (most of the older ones) don't 'leak' they puff because they fill with gas, and then burst, spark, and ignite that gas, if they don't internally short and start on fire. Do as you will but once one of those expands, you should eliminate it. Of course you can do so by stabbing it with a screwdriver in the sprint store parking lot. Then again it may do exactly nothing and just heat up a bit, but it's shot.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Skeezy posted:

Jesus Christ. Just remember to ask elsewhere about getting lightheaded while you are cleaning your running car in a closed garage.

You should dispose of the battery in an environmentally sound fashion. Remember that battery scare with the Chevy Volt? Yeah, the reason people were worried was the battery material coming in contact with the air and heating up/combusting in the event of an accident.

Butt Swartzky
May 20, 2001

I have been using an Everything Plus 500 Referral plan for a while now, and my contract ended in December 2011. My girlfriend has a separate contract with Sprint, an Everything Messaging 450 plan, that ends in September 2012. She's always had crap phones but was recently given a Samsung M900 and obviously needs data to take advantage of that.

I'm thinking of switching to the 1600 minute Family plan and sticking her on it. I went to Sprint today and the guy seemed fine with that after digging up a bunch of stuff on EPRPs, which I assume they don't deal with much in-store. His pricing matched up with the website and seemed ok, except he said that we would also be paying $20 for the data charge. Pretty sure this is bullshit. I understand $10, she's not grandfathered in, but I'm not renewing and I'm not upgrading my old-rear end Hero. Unfortunately, it seems we have to do this in-store due to Transfer of Liability. My question is, what do I take in to show them I'm not required to pay that?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Don't do it in-store. They're going to break something. Call the Employee Care number listed in the OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005
I just moved from a Touch Pro 2 (which I absolutely hated) to a Samsung Nexus S 4G (which I love). I have an available upgrade which I'm thinking about using for the EVO 4G LTE.

If I plan on keeping the Nexus S 4G, is it worth using the upgrade just to flip the phone on eBay?