Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Faraday Cage posted:

Cedric sells arachas eyes, in fact I'm pretty sure he sells everything (or most of the things) you need to do that quest.

Will wonders never cease? I had no idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Originally you couldn't buy that stuff, but they patched it in.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
They had to, it's pretty easy to accidentally use rare alchemy ingredients in this game. I wish the alchemy screen automatically initially selected your most common ingredient for a particular substance.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
So I beat the game last night.

I never beat the game before EE but they added content to Chapter 3 right? Because it was surprisingly short and I can't imagine it being even shorter.

Still one of the best RPGs I've played in the past few years. Can't wait to go through on Dark Mode Roche's path.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I can't be arsed to play dark mode. I already die too much on normal as is.
Also I really don't want to replay the tutorial and first act.

If they had you start out with a bunch of additional levels I'd reconsider though.

Shogun Warrior
Apr 25, 2008

ShadeofDante posted:

I never beat the game before EE but they added content to Chapter 3 right? Because it was surprisingly short and I can't imagine it being even shorter.

Yeah, it used to be incredibly short. EE added the Lilies & Vipers tree to Roche's path and the Secrets of Loc Muinne tree to Iorveth's.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Lycus posted:

They had to, it's pretty easy to accidentally use rare alchemy ingredients in this game. I wish the alchemy screen automatically initially selected your most common ingredient for a particular substance.

I don't get how the game selects alchemy ingredients at all. Why yes, I would love for you to use my only troll tongue instead of the 50+ stupid flowers I picked.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Any way to speed up how fast Geralt runs? A light jog isn't all that great for going back and forth.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

RBA Starblade posted:

Any way to speed up how fast Geralt runs? A light jog isn't all that great for going back and forth.

Put two points in dodge roll and roll everywhere :shepface:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Coughing Hobo posted:

Put two points in dodge roll and roll everywhere :shepface:
He can't roll unless his sword is out, or use magic or throw bombs. That's always bugged me. There were so many times when I just wanted to say gently caress you and do combat without ever drawing my sword, but the game doesn't allow it.

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
For what it's worth, if there aren't enemies around he doesn't even get the bonus distance from footwork anyways.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Shogun Warrior posted:

Yeah, it used to be incredibly short. EE added the Lilies & Vipers tree to Roche's path and the Secrets of Loc Muinne tree to Iorveth's.

Did they add anything else to it? I beat it with Iorveth's path (first time back since the Enhanced Edition, I beat it several times before though) but it was still really, really short...I assumed I missed something but maybe not?

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Did they add anything else to it? I beat it with Iorveth's path (first time back since the Enhanced Edition, I beat it several times before though) but it was still really, really short...I assumed I missed something but maybe not?

Ya, I just played through Iorveth's path on dark mode, and chapter three seemed REALLY short, shorter than I remembered. Part of that is the way I play RPGs (if the story tries to dictate that I stick to the main quests in an area, I generally will, and the third chapter was the one place I felt this really did that), but I think if you really wanted to, you could blow through it in 30min or so.

InvisibleHand
Aug 23, 2009
Nap Ghost

Flumpus posted:

Ya, I just played through Iorveth's path on dark mode, and chapter three seemed REALLY short, shorter than I remembered. Part of that is the way I play RPGs (if the story tries to dictate that I stick to the main quests in an area, I generally will, and the third chapter was the one place I felt this really did that), but I think if you really wanted to, you could blow through it in 30min or so.

Yeah Act 3 doesn't have that "pause" in the story where you feel like Geralt can go and dick around doing odd jobs. Which doesn't really matter cause there all of like 2 side quests, and the optional boss. None of it is made better by the fact that the area is a pain to get your bearings in.

I'd love for CDPR to throw in a couple extra contracts into Act 3.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm not supposed to do the Malena quest when the game gives it to me am I? The nekkers kill me in three hits and there are thirty of them.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm not supposed to do the Malena quest when the game gives it to me am I? The nekkers kill me in three hits and there are thirty of them.

Try using some bombs, and see if you can draw them out in small groups if possible.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Flumpus posted:

Try using some bombs, and see if you can draw them out in small groups if possible.

I tried that, but I simply don't have enough. They all swarm at once and stand there if I back off. Apparently I'm not supposed to try and fight them though, but running away doesn't seem like a very witcher thing to do.

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

RBA Starblade posted:

I tried that, but I simply don't have enough. They all swarm at once and stand there if I back off. Apparently I'm not supposed to try and fight them though, but running away doesn't seem like a very witcher thing to do.

What bombs are you using? Grapeshot is the best choice for them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wiseblood posted:

The only ones I've had the ability to build are sarnum and I have three of them. What works well though is Axii. I'm glad that's finally useful.

Torsade de Pointes
Feb 14, 2006

Oh, yeah. I name all the operations that go down in Taipei, even the ones that aren't mine. Operation Latex Turtle, Operation Angry Bees, Operation AAAAAHHHH-YOOOOOOOW! Heh. That was a good one.

RBA Starblade posted:

To echo what others have said, bomb the gently caress out of them. That's the easiest way to do it.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Wiseblood posted:

Ya, and if you do a little bit of farming around the city, you should be able to make quite a few so you have enough to get through it. Dodge roll, bomb, quen, repeat until it's a manageable number. You can probably skip quen if you want, but even though it goes away in one hit, I always like it just as some insurance, to know once I see it flicker, to get the hell out of there.

Oh, one other thing that may help, take the skill that reduces backstab damage as soon as you can. That's a killer early on with big groups.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

RBA Starblade posted:

The only ones I've had the ability to build are sarnum and I have three of them. What works well though is Axii. I'm glad that's finally useful.

That cave has become a favorite of mine as an experiment for how good I've gotten at blanketing an area with flammable gas. Find a chokepoint and fill it wall-to-wall with dragon's dream bombs, then either set up one conflagration trap, or use dancing star bomb, and watch them all burn.

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
Cedric should have the formula for a bunch of bombs I believe, anything that might be useful in the cave.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
I like Zerrikanian Sun for bombs. Uses only two ingredients and they're plentiful so there's rarely conflict with your potion making.

The stun works on Nekkers very reliably and on the offchance you stun a difficult opponent the instakill is fantastic.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Instakilling rotfiends this way is great because they don't explode.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thanks for the tips. I got through the cave through Axii and the nekkers just running away for whatever reason, but I'll keep them in mind for other group encounters.

Where besides the gamesave folder in My Documents would my saves be, btw? That one is empty and I've already gotten a bit of a collection I want to prune.

e: \/\/\/ That did it, thanks.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 8, 2012

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

RBA Starblade posted:

Thanks for the tips. I got through the cave through Axii and the nekkers just running away for whatever reason, but I'll keep them in mind for other group encounters.

Where besides the gamesave folder in My Documents would my saves be, btw? That one is empty and I've already gotten a bit of a collection I want to prune.
For my Steam version, the saves are in "/Steam/userdata/[number]/20920/remote" where [number] is your Steam Account number (I think). I only have one folder there anyhow.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Instakilling rotfiends this way is great because they don't explode.

Pros get rotfiends to explode into other rotfiends. Too bad it pretty hard to get chain reaction explosions to happen like with the Bloedzuigers in the The Witcher 1.

RBA Starblade posted:

I know youve past it already but that cave is also a great place for trap usage as well.

InvisibleHand
Aug 23, 2009
Nap Ghost

RBA Starblade posted:

In both of the nekker caves in Flotsam & the forest there are lines that nekkers will not cross unless you're close to it and you've just smacked them with your sword. Look for seams in the ground texture, it makes for a nice fall back point if you get overwhelmed.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Thanks to upgrading my pc a few weeks ago I finally could crank up some settings in the game this playthrough and drat, they really made a stunning game. I still can't activate the highest texture settings/ubersampling but I still think they did a stunning job.

Also throwing people off the wall in chapter 2 with aard was the best thing in the game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What exactly does ubsampling do, other than change from frames per second to seconds per frame on my PC?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Perfect Potato posted:

I don't get how the game selects alchemy ingredients at all. Why yes, I would love for you to use my only troll tongue instead of the 50+ stupid flowers I picked.
I haven't tested this, but my thought was that it automatically selected your heaviest ingredients. Flowers weigh nothing, so that they'd always be last pick.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Apparently ubersampling renders each frame multiple times to provide even better antialiasing/filtering? Sounds kind of redundant to be honest. Oh yeah, I also couldn't activate either of the depth of field options, they absolutely killed my fps.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

Apparently ubersampling renders each frame multiple times to provide even better antialiasing/filtering? Sounds kind of redundant to be honest. Oh yeah, I also couldn't activate either of the depth of field options, they absolutely killed my fps.

Someone posted comparison shots when the game came out and I actually think it looked better with ubersampling off. With ubersampling certain features and textures get a "smeared" look.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Are snares-traps designed to make fights amusingly easy or is relying on this strategy going to come back to bite me on the rear end? After dying multiple times to an Endrega Queen, I prepped about 14 in a big bundle and then just stood back and watched it staggering amongst the traps, life-bar going down as I tossed fireballs at it whenever my vigor was high enough.

Later on I encountered some guys who don't like trolls very much (or perhaps too much!) and ended up leaving behind freeze signs to paralyze them as they pursued, dropping traps in a loop and then just ran around in circles, stopping to re-set the traps every so often.

When the battles are done, you can even collect the snares up again and they're good as new!

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Are snares-traps designed to make fights amusingly easy or is relying on this strategy going to come back to bite me on the rear end? After dying multiple times to an Endrega Queen, I prepped about 14 in a big bundle and then just stood back and watched it staggering amongst the traps, life-bar going down as I tossed fireballs at it whenever my vigor was high enough.

Later on I encountered some guys who don't like trolls very much (or perhaps too much!) and ended up leaving behind freeze signs to paralyze them as they pursued, dropping traps in a loop and then just ran around in circles, stopping to re-set the traps every so often.

When the battles are done, you can even collect the snares up again and they're good as new!

Well, traps're certainly the best solution to Endrega Queens. The game gets easier in later acts, making elaborate trap setups unnecessary.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Who came up with the prices for some of the crap in this game? The final dark mode armor set is something ridiculous like 8000 orens and that's not even taking into account the cost of materials. I mean, yeah I could've grinded on Pangratt for an hour, but even I have my limits. It wouldn't be a huge issue if the final act wasn't crap for getting money. Thank god for the mod in the OP.

Also, the optional boss in Act III has to be one of the most ill conceived fights in the game and that's saying something. Invincibility shields, debris to get caught on everywhere, an extremely constricted fighting space, your only hope really is to pray that Aard stuns his minions for a quick kill and dodge like mad. I tried cheesing it by saving after killing the first minion, but I still ended up having to do 95% of the fight in one go anyway.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Floatsam:

Where is the dude who sells books on the Nekker/Endredga?
Where can I get vodka to give to the troll? Every time I go to talk to him, he attacks me.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Capsaicin posted:

In the house directly across from the blacksmith. It's not marked on the map for some annoying reason.

quote:

Where can I get vodka to give to the troll? Every time I go to talk to him, he attacks me.
That's supposed to happen. Get him down to half-health and he'll talk to you some more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Capsaicin posted:

Floatsam:

Dwarven seller directly across from the blacksmith should, but you can also passively gain knowledge by just killing them. It seems like ~15 kills should get you 3/3 knowledge dealies, and you only (iirc) need 2/3 to learn how to destroy their relative respawning areas.

quote:

iirc, he always attacks you at first. Smack him around a bit and he'll start talking to you.

• Locked thread