Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

You guys are wimps.

I would have maybe 10% of the injuries I have suffered in hockey if there were no slap shots in our beer league and I still don't want them gone from the game.

e: Also my slap shot sucks so it's not even a selfish thing

Pleads fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
My buddy scored 4 goals last game taking slapshots from the point so I don't think he's going to stop anytime soon because they're 'ineffective'

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

ItalicSquirrel posted:

Also learned something from a trip to a Chicago-area Total Hockey - apparently Easton had a ton of issues with the Stealth RS blades cracking.

The guy at pickup that loved the RS cracked 2 blades too. I made sure mine was in good shape before I bought it. I hope it holds up, although I barely generate half the power he does on a shot. I'm right in love with the stick though, after pickup I got some time to really put it through some tests. I had great pop on my slap shots and snaps with good lift and spin on the puck. My shots with my other sticks mostly seem to have some flutter to the puck.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Pleads posted:

You guys are wimps.

I would have maybe 10% of the injuries I have suffered in hockey if there were no slap shots in our beer league and I still don't want them gone from the game.

e: Also my slap shot sucks so it's not even a selfish thing

It's not being a wimp, I don't give a gently caress about being hit with some dumb beer leaguer's crappy shot. It's that when it's dudes on my team more frequently they go to wind up and someone just pokes the puck away or gets in front of them and blocks it or else they shoot it up so high (because they can't control it) there is absolutely no chance of it getting through, or they just plain miss the net. There's a case to be made for a low (less than a foot off the ice), quick slapshot that can be deflected if you have tons of time, a good screen, and a windup/release that doesn't border on sloth-like, but for probably 95% of the guys I see in beer league they'd be better off shooting a low wrister or snapshot.

And if I'm screening the goalie for someone to take a slapshot when I'm a forward, I don't want them shooting it at my torso, what the gently caress good does that do anyone?

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 8, 2012

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I score on a lot of slappers outside. Our power play is feeding me on top of left hand circle for one timers. I wind up all the way and shoot as hard as I can, usually high. Sorry everyone.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

bewbies posted:

I score on a lot of slappers outside. Our power play is feeding me on top of left hand circle for one timers. I wind up all the way and shoot as hard as I can, usually high. Sorry everyone.

I guess I also see one timers as different from just a plain slapshot...not really what I'm talking about, at least as far as I'm concerned.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I've been hit in the face by a slapshot deflected by a stick. Seriously. Hard slapshots into traffic are a dick move.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

bewbies posted:

As a goalie, these are the ones I watch go high and wide aren't they? :smug:

Dangerllama posted:

I've been hit in the face by a slapshot deflected by a stick. Seriously. Hard slapshots into traffic are a dick move.

Wear a cage. :manning:

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
Just got back from the first night of my developmental league, and my first game ever. Looks like some of the guys on my team are in the same boat. Meanwhile, we find out after the puck has dropped that the entire other team played together all of last season. It ended up being a 6-0 shutout, and would have been worse if our goalie hadn't been making great saves throughout.

Still had a blast though, and looking forward to next week.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bradf0rd posted:

Wear a cage. :manning:

Are you crazy :psyduck:

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
What a fuckin game tonight.

I had both the best, and worst move of the night.

Best was when I was coming in as the trailer on a break, got the puck in my feet to the right of the net, also had a D man on my backside so I did a weird sort of backhanded pirouette around the puck and managed to fling the puck on net as I spun/fell. Course it hit the fuckin post and the goalie had no idea wtf was going on.

Worst was on a perfectly placed 2 on 1 pass right in front of the net I deke from my forehand to the backhand, completely fake the goalie out and then proceed to muff my empty-net backhand shot into the side of the goal.

:negative:

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Awesome Animals posted:

What? Taking a slap shot from the point is the best time to take a slap shot. But, Topoisomerase makes a good point if we are discussing drop-in leagues about control.
I was talking about drop-in/beer league etiquette.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Last night's game...since I rarely talk about my games here...

I just started playing with this beer league team in Vacaville a few weeks ago. Last night I had an assist and played a lot of really good defense, but they scored a goal with like 2 minutes left to put us down 3-2 (I was a +1 at that point though :smug:). So our captain called a timeout, pulled the goalie and put me out as the extra attacker. It is god drat fun to play as the extra attacker, I'll tell you what. I basically sprinted end to end a few times, beat a guy back before he could shoot on the empty net and stole the puck away clean, passed it to a dude on my team at the other blue line and then followed him into our zone and sprinted to the net to screen the goalie, he took a shot and it went in with 40 seconds left (and I had my second assist).

I got off the ice and I don't think I'd skated that hard for that long of a shift since I played in college. I was literally panting and my d partner said my lips were a bit blue. But goddamn was it fun.

Then I got to shoot in the shootout too, and I pulled the goalie wide to his left (I'm a lefthanded shot) but hit the post shooting across the net. :downs: My d partner (another one of the girls on the team) scored the winning shootout goal though, hooray!

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Drop-in no, unless its from the outside with no traffic.

Adult League, get out of the way if you dont want to get hit by a slap shot.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

Then I got to shoot in the shootout too, and I pulled the goalie wide to his left (I'm a lefthanded shot) but hit the post shooting across the net. :downs: My d partner (another one of the girls on the team) scored the winning shootout goal though, hooray!

Shoulda taken a slapper :shepface:

Shootouts own though for real. There was a 13-round shootout last Friday ate Skatetown. It's great cause everyone comes into the rink to watch.

We haven't been in one since I started working on my Bertuzzi between-the-legs-backhand-roof shot. Although, I'm hoping it'll work out a little better than when I tried it in that 3v3 tournament.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 8, 2012

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How does that work? Does the rink have a twitter account or something to mobilize the troops when a shootout is starting?

"Sorry honey, dinner's off. Don't wait up because there's a SHOOTOUT tonight."

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

That would own.

It's more like "oh poo poo look there's a shootout going on in the other rink that's a little further away from the bar, let's go check this poo poo out."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rinks with a competent internet presence would be a welcome change in general. They're so hilariously bad at doing basic things such as conveying the rink schedule to employees, customers generally have no hope at figuring out what's going on.

I think a twitter account would genuinely break these people.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

^^ Our rink has two big flatscreen TVs in the common area that show the schedule for the day and which rooms the teams are in.

On top of being 15 minutes behind schedule, the game before our final playoff game went to OT, then a shootout. Nobody could score for 5+ rounds because people would try dangly moves they were incapable of doing reliable, and either flub the puck or have no space and put it into the goalie's pads.

Finally some dude just ripped a wrister from the hashmarks off the inside of the crossbar to win it.

I think the size of the audience for that one was mostly because both us and the opposition team had nothing else to do but watch, and the drat thing went on so long it attracted the attention of the bar upstairs.

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

Anyone in the Bay Area putting anything together for Oakland's Iron Man 5 3v3?

Posting it on a few buddy's Facebooks to see if I can scrape together a decent team with old hockey buddies but if that doesn't work out I'm so down for GOONTEAM.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

That would own.

It's more like "oh poo poo look there's a shootout going on in the other rink that's a little further away from the bar, let's go check this poo poo out."

Yeah, we had quite a crowd for our end of game empty net time and shootout too. The next two teams that were playing on our rink and the teams that had just gotten done playing on the other rink were all hangin around.

Petit.Conan
Aug 8, 2002
Signing up for these adult power skating lessons is about the best thing I have ever spent money hockey wise.

I've always considered myself a very strong power skater, but I've let so many holes seep into my technique over the years.

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

"See Joe, this is what winning a meaningful game feels like"

StyleFresh posted:

Anyone in the Bay Area putting anything together for Oakland's Iron Man 5 3v3?

Posting it on a few buddy's Facebooks to see if I can scrape together a decent team with old hockey buddies but if that doesn't work out I'm so down for GOONTEAM.
Sounds so fun. I'd be interested, although I'm not very good at hockey.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

brosef deluxe posted:

Sounds so fun. I'd be interested, although I'm not very good at hockey.

I did that in January, and it was very awesome. I think my team will probably be putting something together, but if not I'm down to try and figure out a team with you guys (assuming the lowest level is what you're going for)

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
I would be down to play with you nerds

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone in these parts ever made an attempt at a shooting setup in an apartment?

I really want to develop my wristers and I think my main problem is I just am not doing enough reps. Unfortunately I live in an apartment and there are zero convenient areas in my subdivision where I could sling pucks, assuming I had some kind of net I could easily set up.

There's a couple spots I can drive to, but that really limits how spontaneous I can be.

Part of me wants to ditch the dining room table so I can practice there but I have a feeling that won't make it past the wife. :v:

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

xzzy posted:

Anyone in these parts ever made an attempt at a shooting setup in an apartment?

I really want to develop my wristers and I think my main problem is I just am not doing enough reps. Unfortunately I live in an apartment and there are zero convenient areas in my subdivision where I could sling pucks, assuming I had some kind of net I could easily set up.

There's a couple spots I can drive to, but that really limits how spontaneous I can be.

Part of me wants to ditch the dining room table so I can practice there but I have a feeling that won't make it past the wife. :v:

What about grabbing a piece of plywood and putting it up against a wall somewhere. Even outside would work. You don't need to hit it into a net right?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nope plywood would be fine, was just wondering if anyone's got a clever solution for practicing in limited space.

I figure a net or a sheet of canvas would help pucks not deflect all over and mark up walls. I have a large painter's cloth we use for camping that would work great if I could hang it somewhere.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Shooting pucks in an apartment is a terrible idea and you're asking for trouble.

Make it a part of your routine just like going to the gym is. Leave the stick and the mat in the car with the pucks. A piece of plywood is a bit harder to transport but if you can fit a net you'll definitely be able to fit that.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

xzzy posted:

Nope plywood would be fine, was just wondering if anyone's got a clever solution for practicing in limited space.

I figure a net or a sheet of canvas would help pucks not deflect all over and mark up walls. I have a large painter's cloth we use for camping that would work great if I could hang it somewhere.

amazon sells some vinyl hockey pucks that generally don't break things, I use them in my basement. Lighter then a puck, so they aren't perfect, but its better then getting the stink-eye from the wife when she sees holes in the drywall.
http://www.amazon.com/Soft-Shot-Hockey-Puck-Set/dp/B00017IBT4

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
I bought this http://www.icewarehouse.com/descpage.html?pcode=PPP and I shoot it all day at my garage port without it making any marks on it. I bought one of the RBK roller pucks too, and this one feels much more like a real puck than the other one. They also ship standard mail to abroad so if you are willing to wait a month, it's actually pretty cheap for europeans too.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
Dude, I'll fly into Cali to play in a hockey tournament. I need a vacation anyway and have friends and family all over that giant state. I offer up my super mountain-man lungs to run the proverbial train on the competition.

That said, having a rental and paying $30.00 to a bored rink ref to come out and blow the whistle is awesome fun. Non-league game awesomeness with a referee to help keep people honest. The front desk girl even volunteered to keep score and play music the whole time.

Come on new season, please start up so that I have a valid excuse to drink on a Thursday night.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

You need a valid excuse?

e: There is nothing better than having a nice cold beer in the shower after I get home from a game.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

You need a valid excuse?

e: There is nothing better than having a nice cold beer in the shower after I get home from a game.

True, true. I guess I'm still self-conscious about coming to work the next day a little foggy from too many beers the night prior.

I took two weeks off since our last season ended and last night's skate has already stoked the flames of ambition for this coming season. Gotta get some hands, now - gotta get the cement out of them, anyway.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Drop-in was so much fun tonight. Six shifts in 90 minutes. Wonderful.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

You need a valid excuse?

e: There is nothing better than having a nice cold beer in the shower

Fixed that for you.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

shyguy posted:

Drop-in was so much fun tonight. Six shifts in 90 minutes. Wonderful.
Assuming you took 7 minute shifts you were out there almost half the time! You did take seven minute shifts didn't you!?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

No I did not!!

It was like 2 to 2 1/2 minute shifts, tops. This was on defense, where we had 8 players rolling through. It was just miserably packed, and a good amount of those people kept showing up later in the session.

We were yelling at people for taking 8 minute shifts, of which not even halfway in they're already gassed and just basically standing still, wasting everybody else's fun. Too many douchebags tonight, too. The 15-18 year old big-fish-in-small-pond crowd that talks poo poo on everybody for having actual adult responsibilities and no longer skates 6 days a week. The kind that wears their MID-REGIONAL AAAA USA DIVISION PRO ELITE tryout jersey and could probably benefit from a power skating lesson or three, and can also learn how to backcheck.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 12, 2012

gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!

shyguy posted:

No I did not!!

It was like 2 to 2 1/2 minute shifts, tops. This was on defense, where we had 8 players rolling through. It was just miserably packed, and a good amount of those people kept showing up later in the session.

We were yelling at people for taking 8 minute shifts, of which not even halfway in they're already gassed and just basically standing still, wasting everybody else's fun. Too many douchebags tonight, too. The 15-18 year old big-fish-in-small-pond crowd that talks poo poo on everybody for having actual adult responsibilities and no longer skates 6 days a week. The kind that wears their MID-REGIONAL AAAA USA DIVISION PRO ELITE tryout jersey and could probably benefit from a power skating lesson or three, and can also learn how to backcheck.

And a sad dose of reality regarding the fact that even if they are miraculously drafted, the closest they're going to come to "PRO ELITE" is a 4-game tryout contract with the SPHL. A coach I know played in the USHL, D-1, was drafted in the 9th round (back when we had a 9th round :corsair:), is incredibly talented, yadda yadda yadda and he only scratched the surface of the ECHL before he decided to focus strictly on coaching and hang up the gloves save for lessons, organized shinny, and a few local minor pro games here and there. Not everyone had the advantages growing up and parents living vicariously through you that you did, kid, so give the guys playing a game for fun a break. :argh:

But at the same time, gently caress the guys that take long shifts and can't stand after 1/3 of it. Whenever I skate up, I get royally hosed if there's a lot of people because I skate hard for a minute or two and then I'm off because I'm not a dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

That could be the thing, they haven't reached that ceiling yet. Right now they're King poo poo, but they haven't reached the next level yet, which can be a world's difference.

When I stopped playing competitively I played one season of Junior B which cost me $3,000 out of pocket. I was going on 20, and I just made the realization that anything beyond this is either not worth the commitment or just isn't going to happen. I mean the competition was good and I did alright, but it just wasn't worth it anymore, especially for that kinda money. Plus I was at the end of my eligibility, and the college I was going to didn't have a team.

My parents were always very supportive, and I'm lucky they were able to allow me to play and be that kid who was on the ice 6-7 times a week (I played on 3 teams at once for a couple of winters), but they were also good at keeping me aware that it's ultimately just a game. I'm thankful for that. It takes a lot of the pressure off.

edit: I hope this post doesn't come off as me sounding like a crabby old man, because I have coached for a few years and I want players to succeed, but some of the attitudes I see are just sad, and I think people set themselves up for failure.

I think the biggest goal for players should set for themselves should be to play for a college, and get them to pay for at least part of your schooling. In hindsight I wish I had done this. Bumming around the Federal League or SPHL for little payoff or actual pay just doesn't sound fun.

shyduck fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 12, 2012