Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Aces High posted:

it seems that Uncle Ben will be involved in shedding some light on the mystery...he's still going to die in this film right?

He'd better. These days the only three "characters" that truly stay dead in superhero books are Uncle Ben, the Wayne parents, and arguably Kal-El (Superman's) birthparents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

notthegoatseguy posted:

I do hope they go away from the "scientist gets corrupted by SCIENCE!" type of villains, though. It is fairly hard not to do that in Spider-Man, but it is possible.

One of the recurring motifs of superheroes is that they always fight the enemies that are their own mirrors. The X-Men fight mutant threats. Thor fights gods. Captain America fights people who think they are patriots (well, he did when Red Skull was actually a Nazi.) And Peter Parker, science nerd hit with the science bat, fights other people who have had the same done to them. Or other people with animal names, which was the source of a controversial plot.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?
I don't like how dark this movie seems, and I sure as hell don't like this focus on his parents. I didn't like it in the books and I'm sure as heck not liking the concept of it in movie form.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Aces High posted:

Another thing, we know that Captain Stacy will die and we think that Gwen will already know that Peter is Spider-Man, so does this mean we can forgo the really annoying arc where she wishes death on Spider-Man and oh noes Peter has to live with that guilt and can't tell the love of his life he's responsible for her father's death? Because I loving hated that in the original comics, they handled it better in Ultimate Spider-Man but that was still probably the most infuriating read for me

There's already been official stills and I'm pretty sure there was a shot in at least one of the trailers showing Gwen with Peter in costume with his mask off, she knows its him.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

sambafish posted:

Has anyone else seen this? I'm not sure whether I should be excited or worried about the Sony Execs (illegedly) hating it.

Sony had a lot of luck with a bright Spidey film 10 years ago that didn't have a very complicated story or plot.

Admittedly, my perspective on this may be stupid, but here we go...

Right now with the few clips I've seen, I'm wondering if Sony is now worried with this one because it's looking like it's addressing a lot of the issues from the Raimi film in terms of the character's source material and they're afraid it will make it a harder sell outside the US.

Possibly more comedy, more of a hero vs. police story, looks to divert a lot from the Raimi origins that perhaps a global audience only really learned about the character from, etc. Will they even be able to get this film in China? Will it work in Europe? Etc.

With the success of The Avengers opening weekend so far, I wonder if Sony gets scared enough about the reception of the relaunch might end up negotiating with Disney and Marvel to bridge the universes over a bit to help with the product awareness, even if just to allow for a cameo or something from Sam L. Jackson and nothing more.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Am I the only person who liked the fact that Raimi insisted on having the old school villains in the original movies? I really LIKED that it was Green Goblin, Doctor Octopus, and the Sandman that were the movie villains and they were not two-dimensional as well. (I have to say that the forcing of Venom was what ruined the third film in my opinion) but otherwise I thought they were fine overall.

That doesn't mean that I'm not looking forward to this movie though. The Lizard was one of my favorites. I'm an old-school Spidey fan. The only other thing I was originally not a fan of but came to accept about the original films is that Spidey had organic web shooters. I'm really loving glad that it's back to the mechanical web-shooters.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think these movies are really gonna emphasize the fact that Peter is pretty much a genius. The mechanical shooters, the plot based around his parent's scientific work, it's funny that while Andrew Garfield certainly doesn't look like he's the kind of guy who would get beat up by the school bully, they're gonna try like hell to make him seem like that kind of guy. That was one of my (numerous) problems with Tobey Macguire, he never seemed quite like a nerd, and much more like a dork. I mean, by the third movie they'd pretty much abandoned any and all aspects of science, aside from the token origin of Sandman being due to particle acceleration.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Aces High posted:

At least this way we can get away from everything that is associated already with his parents (i.e. no clone saga :psyboom:) and instead we can go at it from a somewhat "normal" perspective. At the same time, since it seems that Uncle Ben will be involved in shedding some light on the mystery...he's still going to die in this film right?

Another thing, we know that Captain Stacy will die and we think that Gwen will already know that Peter is Spider-Man, so does this mean we can forgo the really annoying arc where she wishes death on Spider-Man and oh noes Peter has to live with that guilt and can't tell the love of his life he's responsible for her father's death? Because I loving hated that in the original comics, they handled it better in Ultimate Spider-Man but that was still probably the most infuriating read for me

That was a great piece of melodrama. You're crazy.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

This looks pretty fantastic.
I love how much darker than the awful Raimi Spidey movies it seems.

The only thing Raimi's movies nailed was the casting of J.K. Simmons.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That and the Doc Ock/Sandman special effects. The whole train sequence in Spider-Man 2 holds up really well.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Ah, yeah.
The villain effects were all pretty great except for Venom... which they ruined beyond recognition.

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
I got some sweet Spider Man posters in the mail today. :allears:

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Man watching the Raimi flicks again and the absolute worst part of these is the horrible HORRIBLE extras. Every single one takes me out of the film with their awful acting.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

YOU MESS WITH ONE OF US YOU MESS WITH ALL OF US

it's ok, we won't tell nobody.

Even Joel McHale sucks.

"That nephew of yours is a real hero."

It's all well and good if you never let the late 60s/early Spider-man comics out of your mental frame, but man even when I saw it for the first time that poo poo felt dated on arrival (but you had to love it because it was the landmark forerunner flick for a cinematic renaissance for the genre).

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 8, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

E the Shaggy posted:

Man watching the Raimi flicks again and the absolute worst part of these is the horrible HORRIBLE extras. Every single one takes me out of the film with their awful acting.

Spiderman 3 is off the charts with its extras. Every single female extra in that movie seems to be a model.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Spiderman 2 and 3 could have alternately been titled: "Closeups of women screaming."

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I still really like the Raimi films, and I really do not like how this film seems to be going all dark to draw in Twilight and Dark knight fans.

The Raimi films are the perfect onscreen depiction of silver age Spidey.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

enigmahfc posted:

I still really like the Raimi films, and I really do not like how this film seems to be going all dark to draw in Twilight and Dark knight fans.

The Raimi films are the perfect onscreen depiction of silver age Spidey.

Except for Spider-Man himself.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think the "dark" that you're seeing is mostly marketing. I think that what the Raimi movies are to Silver Age Spider-Man, these new ones will be to Ultimate Spider-Man.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

I thought someone said it earlier in the thread but I can't find it now, but what is the techno song in the newest trailer?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ApexAftermath posted:

I thought someone said it earlier in the thread but I can't find it now, but what is the techno song in the newest trailer?

It's by Pendulum, I'm too lazy to rewatch the trailer but I'm pretty sure it's off of their album In Silico.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Was it Spiderman 3 that had him blatantly posing in front of a giant waving flag?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I actually appreciate the symbiote and Venom in Spider-Man 3 as a criticism to the material that is being adapted. There is a juvenile power fantasy that is inherent to even more "realistic" heroes like Spider-Man. It's the notion that there is this second self that people don't see. What makes that idea not revolting is that superheroes must be good and earnest. The criticism that Spider-Man is making is that the symbiote and Venom are a dark mirror of that power fantasy. The symbiote speaks to this idea of there not being this earnest hero within, but this dark super badass within. The movie then just shutdowns that entire thought process with Peter and Eddie's depictions. They aren't gritty badasses. They're just selfish jerks while still being complete nerds.

Still didn't enjoy it.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Was it Spiderman 3 that had him blatantly posing in front of a giant waving flag?

Didn't every movie have him in front of a flag?

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I believe that happened at the end of the first movie, which was set in New York City, and released after September 11th, so that's a pretty good excuse.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
No, it was Spider-Man 3, after he got his act together on the way to the final fight. The movie went slo-mo as he ran by with a huge fanfare and it was amazing in every way.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

computer parts posted:

It's by Pendulum, I'm too lazy to rewatch the trailer but I'm pretty sure it's off of their album In Silico.

Actually I guess it's this song called "how to be eaten by a woman" by The Glitch Mob. At least according to youtube.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ApexAftermath posted:

Actually I guess it's this song called "how to be eaten by a woman" by The Glitch Mob. At least according to youtube.

Oh yeah, the other electric band that I listen to, derp. :downs:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

E the Shaggy posted:

He lands atop the Empire State Building in the last seconds of the film with a flag above him in the first (very obvious). In the second he swings off into the sunset, down a city block lined with flagpoles (less obvious but made up for with extremely nimble news helicopters riding along on the charge). In the third he lands in front of a big ol' flag (very obvious) and the Yayyyy Spider-Man party at the beginning has a bunch of flags around.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

E the Shaggy posted:

Sort of, as mentioned it was the final scene of the first film (which some think was blatant post-9/11 nationalism from the time) but it wasn't that annoying because the film was over at that point.

In Spider-Man 3 he landed in front of a GIANT and brightly lit and animated CGI flag which I thought was more cheesy and tacky than anything.

I don't remember any blatant flag scenes from the second film, I'm sure there were but they weren't obvious to me.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

mind the walrus posted:

That and the Doc Ock/Sandman special effects. The whole train sequence in Spider-Man 2 holds up really well.

Sandman forming for the first time is really a breathtaking sequence. I got chills the first time I saw it. The music was also really good for that scene.

I enjoyed the hell out of Spider-Man 3 despite knowing how bad it was, because the dude sitting next to me had this look of horror on his face as the movie dragged his beloved hero through the mud that was simply hysterical. Also, the Dancing poo poo is funny as gently caress, as is "So goooood."

All in all, Best Comedy of 2007.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Did people really hate Spiderman 2? Spiderman 3 was the lovely one. 2 was just kind of. . . Long?

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008
I thought 2 wss pretty much the ideal Spiderman movie. Just the right amount of cheese, some not totally laughable drama, and a few genuinely awesome fight scene between Spidey and Doc Ock. Doc Ock overall was handled pretty superbly, I thought. It's definitely the only one of the three I could conceivably sit through again.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Did people really hate Spiderman 2? Spiderman 3 was the lovely one. 2 was just kind of. . . Long?

I used to think 2 was the only really good one, but after seeing them all again recently it's barely good. I guess I like it fine, but that's only because some of it's funny and most of the lead acting's good. It's my favourite of the three, but that's damning with faint praise.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Images from the AMS viral site:

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

All I can sya is that the bottom line of the math equation equals zero because of the (0/3) term. But it's okay because it's all pretty much gibberish anyways. Assuming they're Os (ooh's) and not zeros, it makes for a pretty lame anagram.

Dignity Van Houten fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 8, 2012

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters
My posters look like the wanted and gym photos. Very nice quality too.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

LesterGroans posted:

I used to think 2 was the only really good one, but after seeing them all again recently it's barely good. I guess I like it fine, but that's only because some of it's funny and most of the lead acting's good. It's my favourite of the three, but that's damning with faint praise.

Honestly the only reason I still dig 2 a lot is because of the exceptionally good Doc Ock fights and as you said--the solid acting. The plot is pretty slipshod, the script needs some work "IF YOU PUNCH ME I BLEED!", and despite a really good performance I wasn't happy about the tepid "The tentacles are controlling Doc Ock and making him evil!" Can't a guy just be a dick cause he's a dick anymore?

Spider-Man 1 has good bits, but suffers immensely from that stupid Goblin outfit and the nonsensical, borderline rushed plotting. I like it the same way I like a coloring book--I'll go through it if I'm in a waiting room and there's nothing else nearby, but these days I have a smartphone and there just isn't enough in the movie to keep my attention or respect anymore.

Spider-Man 3 is a case of "so bad it's good." The reasons for this are well-delineated by people other than me. The X-TREME Goblin, the weird "unlikable hero, likeable villain" dichotomy of Peter/Sandman. The immense cheese. The 100% superfluous Gwen Stacy. A fight at the end that I enjoyed despite myself.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

mind the walrus posted:

Can't a guy just be a dick cause he's a dick anymore?

But some of Spider-Man's villains were never evil just for the sake of it. If we want to go with the Raimi films as Silver Age Spider-Man adaptations, sentient tentacles making Dr. Octopus evil is not any different than brain damage making him evil, except that with the tentacles you can do a lot more interesting things in a movie.

Off the top of my head, Octavius, Gargan, and the Osborns were driven insane by their origins/powers. Connors is obvious. And Brock is arguable but the symbiote drove him over the edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Fair enough, though growing up I was always under the impression that Doc Ock was exceptional because while he was driven more mad by his accident, he was already an insane dickhead--whereas Osborn and Brock and Gargan and the like only went crazy-go-nuts after their powers kicked in.

• Locked thread