Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Dahmer is actually pretty good, and launched Jeremy Renner's career!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Hey guys, if any of you are in the mood for some post-apocalyptic adventure and horror, I can't recommend Stake Land enough. I watched this on a plane ride after a friends recommendation and I was totally surprised at how well the movie was put together. It's got a little mix of The Road in it, with a whole lot of rear end-kicking action and some suspense. The actors do their job well and the universe they are in feels rich and fleshed out. The plot is pretty solid all the way through, and I highly recommend people check this out.

I'd give it a solid 4/5.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1464580/

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I watched Zodiac and Memories of Murder today. Not sure why they would be considered companion pieces, though.

Zodiac was quite good, but it suffered from my previous knowledge of the historical case. Memories of Murder was fantastic, though. I know the cop from Seoul jump-kicking all the suspects was probably not supposed to be funny, but it cracked me up every time.

Of all the recommendations, I have Mr. Brooks, Citizen X, Vengeance is Mine and Peeping Tom left.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

escape artist posted:

I watched Zodiac and Memories of Murder today. Not sure why they would be considered companion pieces, though.

Zodiac was quite good, but it suffered from my previous knowledge of the historical case. Memories of Murder was fantastic, though. I know the cop from Seoul jump-kicking all the suspects was probably not supposed to be funny, but it cracked me up every time.

It was supposed to be funny, but like everything in that movie the comedy is counterbalanced by the horror of it all. Very dark comedy.

I look at them as counterpoints because they're both about the treachery of evidence and the 20th century horror of being trapped in a sea of documents you can't parse and a web of bureaucracy you can't escape.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

penismightier posted:

It was supposed to be funny, but like everything in that movie the comedy is counterbalanced by the horror of it all. Very dark comedy.

I look at them as counterpoints because they're both about the treachery of evidence and the 20th century horror of being trapped in a sea of documents you can't parse and a web of bureaucracy you can't escape.

And they're also both based on true, unsolved murders.
Memories of Murder is something I would have been unlikely to watch on my own, so thanks for the recommendation!

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

escape artist posted:

And they're also both based on true, unsolved murders.

Ha, I missed the forest for the trees not bringing that up.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

escape artist posted:

I'm looking for good films that feature serial killers, preferably ones that study their psychology rather than glorifying them.

I'm going to check out American Psycho.

I recently watched The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, Man Bites Dog, Day of the Jackal (hired assassin, not a serial killer), and Kalifornia. I enjoyed each one of those in different ways.

Not really keen on Hitchcock, at least not Vertigo and Rear Window. I think I went into them with really high expectations that weren't met. I liked Psycho, though. The Shining is amazing. Se7en is tremendous.

Is Fincher's Zodiac worth checking out? I usually stay away from the ones that are based primarily on actual killers, but I've heard good things about this one. I feel like the biographical pieces feature much less storytelling, and too much recollection of facts.

to the post below me:

I love Monster. Good call. I'll check out Henry.

Check out one of my favorite 80s serial killer movies, Maniac.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

It doesn't quite fit the criteria, but Leon/The Professional is a pretty good film about a hired assassin if you haven't already seen it.

Also, seconding Peeping Tom and adding that it's the best serial killer film of all time.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

caiman posted:

Check out one of my favorite 80s serial killer movies, Maniac.
Thanks! I'll check it out. Am I missing much by watching the "cut" version of this?

TrixRabbi posted:

It doesn't quite fit the criteria, but Leon/The Professional is a pretty good film about a hired assassin if you haven't already seen it.

Also, seconding Peeping Tom and adding that it's the best serial killer film of all time.
Leon is a great film. I actually wouldn't mind watching it again-- it's been a few years.

Peeping Tom is next on my list. I didn't realize it's over 50 years old. I definitely prefer the older films to modern ones.

And Vengeance is Mine is a Japanese film from 1979! Awesome recommendations, everyone.

Dane Cook is in Mr. Brooks? Really hope he is a murder victim.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 8, 2012

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I thought Dane Cook was actually pretty good in Mr. Brooks. They definitely knew what they were doing when they cast him.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
I would definitely hesitate to call myself a horror fan, but I just watched The House of the Devil and absolutely loved it. I liked how it didn't really on jump scares, but instead built up a sense of dread throughout the film, and then had a great 20-minute or so violent pay-off. I'm looking for similar movies to this, and the work of John Carpenter.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

After going through the game 9 hours/9 persons/9 doors, I'm in the mood for some Cubey movies. Really, anything with a bunch of people drawn together under unknown circumstances or not knowing who each other really is is going to be at least worth sitting through for me. Off the top of my head, I've seen the Cube series, Reservoir Dogs, Clue, Murder By Death, Exam, Identity, Saw, Devil, 9 Dead, House of 9, something I can't think of right now where a bunch of people wake up in a garage not knowing which people there are criminals and which people there are cops, and probably a few more I can't remember.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Check out the Dangan Ronpa LP if you haven't already. Its basically exactly what you are looking for.

I also suggest the Twilight zone episodes "Five Characters in Search of an Exit" and "Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up?" which both have that sort of plot.

Finally, Pandorum sort of matches that criteria.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Check out the Dangan Ronpa LP if you haven't already. Its basically exactly what you are looking for.

I also suggest the Twilight zone episodes "Five Characters in Search of an Exit" and "Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up?" which both have that sort of plot.

Finally, Pandorum sort of matches that criteria.

I've seen both of those Twilight Zone episodes at least five or six times, haha. I thought Pandorum was supposed to be really bad for some reason (looking it up, probably Paul W.S. Anderston's involvement) but I'll check it and the LP out.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
The obvious suggestion is any version of And Then There Were None aka Ten Little Indians. The 1945 version is decent.

There's also a movie from 1934 called The Ninth Guest that is pretty good, but might be hard to find.

e: also, haven't watched this one yet, but House on Haunted Hill.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 27, 2012

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Power of Pecota posted:

After going through the game 9 hours/9 persons/9 doors, I'm in the mood for some Cubey movies. Really, anything with a bunch of people drawn together under unknown circumstances or not knowing who each other really is is going to be at least worth sitting through for me. Off the top of my head, I've seen the Cube series, Reservoir Dogs, Clue, Murder By Death, Exam, Identity, Saw, Devil, 9 Dead, House of 9, something I can't think of right now where a bunch of people wake up in a garage not knowing which people there are criminals and which people there are cops, and probably a few more I can't remember.
One of the better Star Trek:TNG episodes is Conundrum which has the crew being hit with an unknown energy beam and then coming back to consciousness with no memories of who they are.

If you haven't already seen it, maybe the original REC. And Deep Rising is not quite the same but entertaining; a bunch of people on a cruise ship under attack by something, and who are all working at cross purposes with different motives.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Power of Pecota posted:

I'll throw in Predators for this list. The stuff with the actual aliens is kind of meh, but I actually enjoyed all the human level stuff in it.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

Power of Pecota posted:

something I can't think of right now where a bunch of people wake up in a garage not knowing which people there are criminals and which people there are cops, and probably a few more I can't remember.
Pretty sure that's Unknown (2006). Looks like an interesting premise, is it worth watching?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Parkingtigers posted:

I'll throw in Predators for this list. The stuff with the actual aliens is kind of meh, but I actually enjoyed all the human level stuff in it.

Predators was really disappointing, because when it's revealed that one of them was a doctor I thought "Oh hey, this is going to be like Cube :D" But nope, they're all just boring killings with no personalities.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Predators is a really simple, cool idea that they managed to gently caress up in the most boring way possible.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I watched Maniac today, and found it to be disappointing. It was a slasher flick, with very little in the way of story. Just gory kill after gory kill. Lots of "jump-scares". The character would have been interesting, if it had focused more on his motivations. His mommy issues are cliched. Henry was far superior in delivering the story of an abused kid turned serial killer, while retaining the unnerving and gory theatrics that gained them both X-ratings. Frank Zito, with his mommy issues, was no Henry Lee Lucas, and certainly no Frank Booth.

Interestingly, Elijah Wood is going to play Frank Zito in a remake of Maniac to be released later this year.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Maniac's reputation is based on two things: the bruta faccia of Joe Spinell and Savini's effects.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Maniac's reputation is based on two things: the bruta faccia of Joe Spinell and Savini's effects.

I will say that Joe Spinell did a great job in that film, and the "Disco Boy" scene had some pretty drat good effects for such a pre-modern movie. I believe Savini used his knowledge of violence from his days fighting in a (the Vietnam?) war to guide the way that scene was shot. And watching Joe Spinell's range of emotion specifically, when he chokes the first prostitute, and goes from charming, to manic anger, to crying was very good. It was reminiscent of Frank Silva in Twin Peaks-- the visceral fear that he was able to elicit just from his appearance. It's a shame that Spinell and Silva both passed on so early and abruptly.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
You should see the documentary about Spinell called "The Joe Spinell Story". I have no idea where you'd find it nowadays.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

You should see the documentary about Spinell called "The Joe Spinell Story". I have no idea where you'd find it nowadays.

I'll check it out. Youtube has it, surprisingly.

Aristurtle Records
Jun 9, 2006

live at random, live as best one can
Can anyone recommend good films in spanish? All I know is Almodovar, the Che Guevara movies and Rec. Me and some friends want to make regular spanish movie evenings to help learn the language.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Aristurtle Records posted:

Can anyone recommend good films in spanish? All I know is Almodovar, the Che Guevara movies and Rec. Me and some friends want to make regular spanish movie evenings to help learn the language.

El Norte
The Exterminating Angel
Viridiana
Los Olvidados
El (This Strange Passion)
Simon of the Desert
Carmen
Spirit of the Beehive
Duck Season
Whisky
Bienvendio Mister Marshall
El Verdugo
Death of a Cyclist
Lovers of the Arctic Circle
La teta asustada (The Milk of Sorrow)
Cria Cuervos
El Topo

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

FitFortDanga posted:

Spirit of the Beehive

All day every day.

Also

La Cabina (this is a half hour though, so you might want to double feature with, say, the 45 minute Simon of the Desert)
The Skeleton of Mrs. Morales
The Devil's Backbone
That Obscure Object of Desire

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

penismightier posted:

That Obscure Object of Desire

My memory might be failing me, but I believe that's mostly in French.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

If you are really interested in learning the language (rather than seeing a good film), get a poorly dubbed Disney cartoon bootleg from Mexico, especially if you are already familiar with the movie. I learned more from watching El Rey Leon during a substitute teacher day than I did from the rest of the year in one of my Spanish classes.

On the other hand, if you want a good movie, among many of the others listed, I'm fond of Memories of Underdevelopment.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Y Tu Mama Tambien is really great. Might be a little too spicy, depending upon which friends you watch it with though. El Orfanato is also very good, make sure to watch it in the dark because it's creepy as hell.

I like the lists you other guys have put up, going to be checking some of those out.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 10, 2012

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
El Mariachi, of course

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Pretty sure that's Unknown (2006). Looks like an interesting premise, is it worth watching?

I don't remember enough to say, to be honest. I'll rewatch it sometime soon.

Voodoofly posted:

On the other hand, if you want a good movie, among many of the others listed, I'm fond of Memories of Underdevelopment.

This and Strawberry and Chocolate are my favorite Cuban movies.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Xenophon posted:

El Mariachi, of course

This is a great option for getting together with friends and having a few beers, if that's what you're looking for.

Aristurtle Records
Jun 9, 2006

live at random, live as best one can
Awesome suggestions, thanks guys!

Haha might try the dubbed disney movies, but mainly we'd like to see some good movies as well as bettering our spanish.

Dudes!
Apr 24, 2012

Check out The Black Scorpian http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050197/ it has pretty good sfx for the 50s. Its like "Them" with scorpions in Mexico.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'll second Y Tu Mama Tambien and also add Amores Perros, although that movie is depressing as hell.

Dudes!
Apr 24, 2012

Spiderbaby is a cool awesome movie you should check out. Lon chaney JRs last film who was high on weed for the whole movie.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I just watched The House on Haunted Hill and enjoyed it, despite its obvious flaws. Any suggestions for other William Castle movies (or similar) worth watching?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

morestuff posted:

I just watched The House on Haunted Hill and enjoyed it, despite its obvious flaws. Any suggestions for other William Castle movies (or similar) worth watching?

Strait Jacket and The Tingler.

• Locked thread