Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

redreader posted:

Just level up a lot. It's pretty much the solution to everything (so far, am in December I think)

That or change your party makeup/demon setup/equipment to block the stuff that's loving you up.

Edit: That sounds a lot like me going "well just don't die" but your party makeup is a lot more important than leveling up. If you ARE grinding levels, it should be with the specific goal of getting access to a new fusion or skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalina
May 20, 2008

redreader posted:

Just level up a lot. It's pretty much the solution to everything (so far, am in December I think)

Also, status effects! Charm (Marin Karin, Sexy Dance) and panic (Pulinpa, Tentarafoo) will render the enemies helpless. My favorite is to cast Sexy Dance.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Just remember to have the matching ailment boost or your accuracy with status spells is crap (Just look at Mitsuru's success rate with Marin Karin.)

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Kinda confused by something at the end of Persona 4.

It seems like it's impossible to leave the last dungeon, but if it's also impossible to open it until the final day and items don't carry over into NG+, why are all the enemies still dropping materials? Is there something I'm missing, or are they just useless?

Snowcow
Oct 17, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

It seems like it's impossible to leave the last dungeon, but if it's also impossible to open it until the final day and items don't carry over into NG+, why are all the enemies still dropping materials? Is there something I'm missing, or are they just useless?

So you can sell them for money to buy more items I guess.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

You can leave to go shopping for items and make new weapons.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Cool, I hadn't actually tried to leave the TV world on the final day yet because I just assumed it wouldn't let me or would give me a bad ending. Thanks!

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Reminds me how I accidentally did the true ending boss fight under leveled so I to exploit the fact that those plant babies in Adachi's dungeons keep spawning. I left my game on rush for 3 hours and made enough to buy 40 maka leaves, I had to use every single one to survive the boss.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Catalina posted:

Also, status effects! Charm (Marin Karin, Sexy Dance) and panic (Pulinpa, Tentarafoo) will render the enemies helpless. My favorite is to cast Sexy Dance.

This was the key for me with SMT/Persona games. I tried SJ like a big dumb dinosaur and probably lost an extra 30 hours of my life.

P3P does not have to be grindy. I leveled way too much and the last section enemies were running from me. It's not much fun to bulldoze the last few hours.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Welp, i finally beat DS2! That final boss was a lot easier than i expected, though that was probably because i followed a guide's advice and fused a bunch of demons that either nulled, drained or reflected phys, rendering the third part a cakewalk. Pretty satisfied with the ending, if only because you finally got to see the MC with his ridiculous bunny-hood up. (also because Yamato owns and it was totally worth following him) Although i'm probably gonna do a new game+ in order to get the Daichi+ ending.

All in all, i'm really surprised at how good the game was, and it's definitely secured a place in my top 3 SMTs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Technique posted:

Welp, i finally beat DS2! That final boss was a lot easier than i expected, though that was probably because i followed a guide's advice and fused a bunch of demons that either nulled, drained or reflected phys, rendering the third part a cakewalk. Pretty satisfied with the ending, if only because you finally got to see the MC with his ridiculous bunny-hood up. (also because Yamato owns and it was totally worth following him) Although i'm probably gonna do a new game+ in order to get the Daichi+ ending.

All in all, i'm really surprised at how good the game was, and it's definitely secured a place in my top 3 SMTs.

Huh. It's always interesting to see what people pick. Yamato is one of those guys where I always feel like nobody would follow him, so it's neat to see that, yep, someone considers him a legitimate and even the best choice.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Huh. It's always interesting to see what people pick. Yamato is one of those guys where I always feel like nobody would follow him, so it's neat to see that, yep, someone considers him a legitimate and even the best choice.

I'm still not sure if he was the "best" choice, but i could certainly see the advantages of his world, although i didn't really agree with all of it. It was still a little bit too extreme. But he was a badass enough dude for me to choose him, (second best character in the game, right after Jungo) and i got to see Ronaldo get punted off a bridge, so it was totally worth it.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Technique posted:

For pure fun I would put DS2 in my top 3 easily. I went Daichi's path first then Yamato's. The Anguished One also has a great path that is worth following. Ronaldo was last for me.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

redreader posted:

Honestly, probably the wrong decision, especially if you're in december. For the persona games the best or only solution is rarely 'grind up levels', but usually start to reconsider your persona line up or recall that (de)buffs and status effects are amazing, in fact I believe that (de)buffs are something like +/-40% for attack and defense which is pretty absurd. And once you're in December (really earlier, but you're more limited then because of level) your SLinks should be so high that you should be able to fuse some god-killing machines. But yeah the games actually do a fairly solid job at making sure you're about the level it wants you to be when you get to new blocks and bosses.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Yeah, usually something that hits hard and/or has no weakness and a lot of hp is cripplingly weak to status ailments.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Christ, barely past the first day on my NG+ and i already hate the female Tico. She's rilly annoying.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Technique posted:

Christ, barely past the first day on my NG+ and i already hate the female Tico. She's rilly annoying.

Hahaha I knew I had made the wrong decision in my NG+ run when even the narration described her as "something entirely annoying is on your screen" or something to that effect.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Hahaha I knew I had made the wrong decision in my NG+ run when even the narration described her as "something entirely annoying is on your screen" or something to that effect.

The exact line is burned into my memory as a record of my grave error: "The presence on your screen is almost insufferable".

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I missed how the laplace mail would get more and more screwed up day after day. Also the male tico looks like Theo, which is probably what they were going for?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Something occured to me: P3 still (august) hasn't given me a reason to climb the tartarus (Well, level grinding I guess, but otherwise). From reading stuff I know I should probably get to the roadblock before each full moon, but other than that, your only incentive is characters saying "Hey, maybe we should go to the tartarus?" every once in a while. What does happen if you don't do any progress?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

RichterIX posted:

That or change your party makeup/demon setup/equipment to block the stuff that's loving you up.

Edit: That sounds a lot like me going "well just don't die" but your party makeup is a lot more important than leveling up. If you ARE grinding levels, it should be with the specific goal of getting access to a new fusion or skill.

The arcane turrets are not weak to anything as far as I remember, and I used to fear them but at my current level I just destroy them. Normally it's all "make sure you use the right spell" but those guys just have shitloads of hitpoints.

Just don't die? Pretty much... just make sure you save your progress while you are grinding, or grind on floors without these bad guys. Everyone dies every now and then.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Honestly I agree with some goon who posted about it a while back that the ideal way to play those games would probably be to start with Eternal Punishment, play up to Mt. Iwato, then pick up and play all the way through Innocent Sin, then go back to finish EP. Provided you were motivated to play through both as one epic enterprise without taking a huge break that caused you to lose the thread or w/e.

A 70 hour JRPG is a hell of a vignette in the middle of your 70 hour JRPG.

That was probably me; I still think that is the best way to do it even if there's almost no way to know that before playing either game.

Concerning IS's grindiness I think playing the main game I bought maybe one non-story persona so I had access to fusion spells that required garu and I think another since I really wanted to see what Arthur played like. It's really only as grindy as you make it and it honestly pretty easy for a game in the SMT series. It could just be a decade of time but I remember EP being a lot harder and requiring more fusion spells and Personas. You don't get the customs for your entire group which definitely gives the starters less of a shelf life.

In regards to DS2 do you get anything from 100%ing the achievements? I just went through the last ending I needed, thought I beat it with no deaths but must have had a demon die sometime and not noticed since I missed out on that one. On the topic of Tico I liked her just because something about her eyes and demeanor felt incredibly creepy which is what I would expect a website designed to casually tell you when your friends are going to die and how to be.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Amppelix posted:

Something occured to me: P3 still (august) hasn't given me a reason to climb the tartarus (Well, level grinding I guess, but otherwise). From reading stuff I know I should probably get to the roadblock before each full moon, but other than that, your only incentive is characters saying "Hey, maybe we should go to the tartarus?" every once in a while. What does happen if you don't do any progress?

The Tartarus bosses are there to make sure you're ready to face the coming Arcana boss at the next full moon, and to make sure you're levelled up enough. You don't have to go up floors, but the final boss of the game is at the top of the tower, so you'll end up having to do it all at once. Which doesn't sound fun!

If you're playing P3Portable, there are people from the city who get trapped in Tartarus and must be found before the full moon. Two of them are S. Links, who become lost forever if not rescued.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Not sure if it's been posted, but I noticed that Persona 4: The Golden is now available for preorder on Amazon. I know Atlus sent out that e-mail a while back, but the only option then was that canadian retailer.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Radish posted:

In regards to DS2 do you get anything from 100%ing the achievements? I just went through the last ending I needed, thought I beat it with no deaths but must have had a demon die sometime and not noticed since I missed out on that one. On the topic of Tico I liked her just because something about her eyes and demeanor felt incredibly creepy which is what I would expect a website designed to casually tell you when your friends are going to die and how to be.

You definitely don't lose that award for a demon dying, FYI: you only have to keep the team leaders alive. But there's no reward for getting 100% of the awards anyway.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

Justice posted:

The Tartarus bosses are there to make sure you're ready to face the coming Arcana boss at the next full moon, and to make sure you're levelled up enough. You don't have to go up floors, but the final boss of the game is at the top of the tower, so you'll end up having to do it all at once. Which doesn't sound fun!

If you're playing P3Portable, there are people from the city who get trapped in Tartarus and must be found before the full moon. Two of them are S. Links, who become lost forever if not rescued.

When do those people get trapped? I've already gotten to the first 2 blocks.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Elizabeth will call you when it happens.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Lucinice posted:

When do those people get trapped? I've already gotten to the first 2 blocks.

Elizabeth will alert you, and give you hints as to where they are (usually a floor number). Just make sure you search that whole floor(s) and you'll find them. :)

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
It suddenly dawned on me that pretty much all the demon tamers in DS2 became demon tamers simply because they signed up for a snuff film site.

Really puts some party members in a new light.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Technique posted:

It suddenly dawned on me that pretty much all the demon tamers in DS2 became demon tamers simply because they signed up for a snuff film site.

Really puts some party members in a new light.

Most of your guys are JPs and they just used the data you got. They had their own demon summoning program beforehand it was just crappier.

Joe is indeed a snuff film fanatic tho'.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Famitsu talks Persona 4 Golden and Persona 5

Bug catching feature in Golden, possible new music style for 5.

Rise also has a new evolved persona

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 9, 2012

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

If that turns out to be true, I'll be happy!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Policenaut posted:

possible new music style for 5.

Thank God.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
Oh man, what will they go with? Funk rock or funk rock?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Justice posted:

Oh man, what will they go with? Funk rock or funk rock?

They'll just hire people who actually understand English to write the lyrics and perform the vocals.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
That's one thing we can count on, for Atlus to make a game focused on the western audience.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Yes that's exactly what I said. :)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

quote:

Meguro says something to the effect of, if there's a Persona 5, and it is radically different from Persona 3 and Persona 4, he'd also change the music.

This is about the least newsworthy thing a person could say.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

They'll just hire people who actually understand English to write the lyrics and perform the vocals.

The only one I'd say that was really bad was the second Persona 4 anime opening. the others were just kinda silly.

although the 2nd opening was really funny so maybe they should just continue to make the english terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Cityinthesea posted:

The only one I'd say that was really bad was the second Persona 4 anime opening. the others were just kinda silly.

although the 2nd opening was really funny so maybe they should just continue to make the english terrible.

I think there's a certain charm to it. Then again, I have Persona music in playlists that I listen to on a daily basis and can't get enough of the stuff.

I honestly don't think I'd like it as much if it were clearly native English speakers writing and singing the songs. No more "All the homo men can now break away!" lines.

Talking about a Persona 5 being different from Persona 3 and 4 has me a little worried. I couldn't stand Persona 2, so I'd rather they stick to the format of 3 and 4.