Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
I'm hesitant on the Lab part myself but we are of course pleased to be in the Mid-Ohio Spottihund breed club of America. Although I think she's technically the Southern variety (Adams County) :D

I don't see husky. While it would explain her occasional bouts of 'I don't hear you', I think it is dubious. Pointer, that I can see, mixed with somehting of a different coat type. Larger terrier....maybe but she just doesn't have the personality, though that wouldn't mean much since she's a mutt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bionictom
Mar 17, 2009
Hello Dog-breed experts, i have an inquiry.

Yesterday at the dog part i saw one of the prettiest dogs ever, unfortunately I couldn't identify the owner, so I couldn't ask what breed it was. I also forgot to take a picture :-/

It looked like a perfect(asthetically speaking) mix of a Pitbul and a Boxer. It was taller and less stocky than a Pitbull (like a Boxer), but it had a very distinct Molosser face (Pitbull, Cane Corse, only slimmer). It's coat was black and white.

I'm thinking it was a pure bred. It looked like the photograph in a breed-standard book, no "out of place" markings or anything.

Anyone got any ideas?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

bionictom posted:

Hello Dog-breed experts, i have an inquiry.

Yesterday at the dog part i saw one of the prettiest dogs ever, unfortunately I couldn't identify the owner, so I couldn't ask what breed it was. I also forgot to take a picture :-/

It looked like a perfect(asthetically speaking) mix of a Pitbul and a Boxer. It was taller and less stocky than a Pitbull (like a Boxer), but it had a very distinct Molosser face (Pitbull, Cane Corse, only slimmer). It's coat was black and white.

I'm thinking it was a pure bred. It looked like the photograph in a breed-standard book, no "out of place" markings or anything.

Anyone got any ideas?

American Bulldog?

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.

bionictom posted:

:science: Pit bulls are not designed to be stocky, but Boxers are. What you're thinking of are dogs that are bred with Amstaffs, Bulldogs and Mastiffs to get the low slung body, huge wide head and massive frame. A purebred American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT) is supposed to weigh 30-50lbs, with a light frame and much smaller head. Pit bulls are also not Molossors, they're Terriers. Cane Corso, Boxers and Mastiffs are Molossors, so it doesn't really make much sense to say that a pit would have a Molossor head and a stocky frame.

Check out the Bully breed thread. There are three distinct types of dogs that your average person will identify as 'pit bulls' and what most people think of when they imagine a pit is a stocky body, wide head and massive frame, which is actually correct for a Mastiff, not a pit.

Seconding that it was probably an American Bulldog, which also gets mistaken as a pit bull.

bionictom
Mar 17, 2009
Hmm, didn't look much like an american bulldog, it had less of a boxer face.

luckily i found a video i made with the dog, unfortunately, you don't really see it's face: http://youtu.be/ltReQ6FeObo it's face looked quite similar to no 14 in this poster, only less "sad".

seems like the word i should've used to describe the body wasn't stocky but muscular. the dog looked less muscular and more slender than most of the pits i've seen, or the majority of Google image search hits.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

That kind of just looks like a pit or pit mix.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

CapnAndy posted:

When my family rescued Reese a couple months ago, we were told she was a Corgi/Sheltie mix. This was a filthy loving lie. Here is Reese and her sister Mel:

And here is one just of her, which came out dark but you can see how she stands in it at least, her face and coloring is obvious from the first one:

Since the size difference doesn't really come across in the picture, Mel is a full-grown purebred Tibetan Terrier. Reese is already taller and longer than Mel, and she's like four or five months old now. She sheds, she's extremely clever, she whines and cries when she wants something and has a deep, booming bark she uses on intruders. Intruders are people encroaching on the house without being properly greeted by a human she knows. Anyone who we're happy to see is instantly her best friend forever and she loves them. She is a great big ball of inexhaustable energy, although that's probably got something to do with being a puppy.

What the hell kind of dog do I have? Our current best guess is Doberman and Other Stuff.

I will take more pictures for you if you want them and she holds still long enough.

Mostly ACD, possibly all poorly-bred ACD. Enjoy the shrieking and the diabolical scheming, you now have a dog that is smarter than any person in your house.

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
I have found Quaffle's much larger doppleganger:

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/22856949?rvp=1

And this is Quaffle, for comparison:

She's a suspected Anatolian/Malamute mix, which backs up my suspicion of Quaffle being an Anatolian/Husky mix. Look how giant and fluffy and squashy she is, I just want to hug her. :(

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
Dang, that's a pretty dog

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

This is Pongo

He looks like the Colorado version of the --what was it, Ohio Multispot Mutt?
Here is a more typical tail position:

He is allegedly a Border Collie mix. Well, we can see that. Probably cattle dog in there, too. When I first posted his picture when he was a puppy, somebody noted that his coat looked like a primitive breed, and that would fit with some of his behavior.

The thing is, he looks a lot like a Canaan dog. I had never heard of this breed but somebody told me, "Oh, he looks exactly like a Canaan dog," so I googled it. (There is quite a long list of dogs he looks like to other people walking other dogs. Includes husky, GSD, Shiba Inu(!) and pit bull(!!) and I guess he could have all that in his heritage for all we know.)

He does look a LOT like the Canaan dog, though. But that's a rare breed, and what are the odds that a rare breed would turn up in a shelter in rural southern Colorado? Pretty slim, I bet.

He sure does like to herd things (cats, people, his toy collection) and while he's usually quite biddable he has about one hour per day, usually, when he gets obstinate. He's a year and a half old--well, a bit younger in these pictures, but not much.

ETA: Okay, these pictures are huge. I resized them on Photobucket. I even copied the IMG file again, even though it was the same, and they are still huge. I am sorry. I have no clue what I'm doing wrong here. These don't look that big when I preview post, and yet...

Rhymes With Clue fucked around with this message at 08:21 on May 3, 2012

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Rhymes With Clue posted:

This is Pongo

He is allegedly a Border Collie mix. Well, we can see that. Probably cattle dog in there, too. When I first posted his picture when he was a puppy, somebody noted that his coat looked like a primitive breed, and that would fit with some of his behavior.

The thing is, he looks a lot like a Canaan dog. I had never heard of this breed but somebody told me, "Oh, he looks exactly like a Canaan dog," so I googled it. (There is quite a long list of dogs he looks like to other people walking other dogs. Includes husky, GSD, Shiba Inu(!) and pit bull(!!) and I guess he could have all that in his heritage for all we know.)

He does look a LOT like the Canaan dog, though. But that's a rare breed, and what are the odds that a rare breed would turn up in a shelter in rural southern Colorado? Pretty slim, I bet.

He sure does like to herd things (cats, people, his toy collection) and while he's usually quite biddable he has about one hour per day, usually, when he gets obstinate. He's a year and a half old--well, a bit younger in these pictures, but not much.

ETA: Okay, these pictures are huge. I resized them on Photobucket. I even copied the IMG file again, even though it was the same, and they are still huge. I am sorry. I have no clue what I'm doing wrong here. These don't look that big when I preview post, and yet...

Firstly, you must come to Ohio so Pongo and Quinn can barrel around together in a B&W spotty blur.

Secondly, well, it isn't impossible for a rare purebreed to show up in a rural shelter if it happens to be a working breed like a Canaan if he came from a breeder that also keeps livestock or whatever but it is more improbable because a person like that would be searching high and low for a missing dog in that situation. Stranger things have happened but I wouldn't assume the prim attitude has to have come from CD.

Also, Pongo looks like a prick-eared Quinn, how big is he?

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Canaan dogs are not really a breed so much as an amalgamation of semi-feral working mixes, at least thats what they're considered in Israel. My ex's Israeli father used to laugh at the American show breeders trying to form a standard and clubs around them.

I would guess BC mutt as your best bet. BC mutts are pretty much the equivalent of the rural American Canaan, since Canaans are just crosses of herding dogs and livestock guardian dogs.

The various breeds strangers come up with from a glance on the street are always amusing though. I've had multiple people swear to me that my dog was a purebred Peke or a Chihuahua mix. People don't know dogs.

Captain Foxy fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 3, 2012

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Captain Foxy posted:

The various breeds strangers come up with from a glance on the street are always amusing though. I've had multiple people swear to me that my dog was a purebred Peke or a Chihuahua mix. People don't know dogs.

Try walking Lucy.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:

Rhymes With Clue posted:

This is Pongo

What about a Karelian Bear Dog? I know they are rare, but I think they are not as rare in certain places. Hell, I saw one that someone was trying to give away on my local craigslist a few years ago.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

Captain Foxy posted:

I've had people call my totally 100% Husky a Pitbull.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Cless Alvein posted:

oh yeah, my purebred cardigan corgi is a BC/doxie mix, a BC/pembroke corgi mix, a pit/doxie mix, etc.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Cless Alvein posted:

Was the person in question visually impaired?

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.

bionictom posted:

Hmm, didn't look much like an american bulldog, it had less of a boxer face.

luckily i found a video i made with the dog, unfortunately, you don't really see it's face: http://youtu.be/ltReQ6FeObo it's face looked quite similar to no 14 in this poster, only less "sad".

seems like the word i should've used to describe the body wasn't stocky but muscular. the dog looked less muscular and more slender than most of the pits i've seen, or the majority of Google image search hits.

Looks like maybe a Pit/Lab or just a byb Pit. APBTs can vary pretty widely in their looks depending on their ancestry - an average, out-of-shape pit probably won't have a ton of muscle on it.

Cless Alvein posted:

Azrael Alexander fucked around with this message at 20:44 on May 3, 2012

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

wtftastic posted:

Was the person in question visually impaired?

Mmm, now that I look at her, she totally looks like one of those baby eating pits. I mean look at this!

Totally the same dog.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.

Cless Alvein posted:

baby eating pits

I hope you don't mean that :ohdear:

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo

Azrael Alexander posted:

I hope you don't mean that :ohdear:

I'm not a big fan of babies. The more that get eaten, the better! :3: (No, I don't mean it)

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 4, 2012

Abiggoat
Feb 21, 2008

Kill yourself!

According to legend, this vicious killer is some sort of terrier/collie mix. I don't believe them, and was wondering if you guys could shed any light? Pic overload incoming:

Edit: I had to do a double-take!

Instant Jellyfish posted:

That there is a cattle dog mix if I've ever seen one. She reminds me a lot of a dog from a different forum:

Abiggoat fucked around with this message at 16:30 on May 5, 2012

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Kelpie possibly? Not full blooded but maybe part. Those slightly bent ears are just adorable :3:

Abiggoat
Feb 21, 2008

Kill yourself!

Bear Rape posted:

Kelpie possibly? Not full blooded but maybe part. Those slightly bent ears are just adorable :3:

Possibly! I'm really not an expert on dog breeds at all, but I really feel he's some sort of herding dog. I wish he didn't have such common colouring and it would be a lot easier!

He's active as hell and really intelligent. Not much of a cuddler :(

Bonus puppy pics:

Instagram:

I'll stop with the pictures now because this isn't Post Your Pet

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

mmmmmwah - Trophy kisses!

I've been told Coco is part Yorkie (maybe part Bichon). I got her from a rescue that rescued her along with some other dogs and puppies from a mill auction. She is the one that told me part Bichon, and I'm not sure where she got that information. I can see the Yorkie part in the ears, but everywhere I go people ask if she is a "toto" dog.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
The "Toto" dog is a Cairn Terrier, and I don't doubt there's some Cairn in that dog. My bet is on Cairn/Yorkie mix. I don't see any drat Bichon.

mombot
Sep 28, 2010

mmmmmwah - Trophy kisses!

I wasn't so sure when she was smaller, but as she's gotten bigger I definitely am thinking the same. Her hair when she was 3 months old was a little fuller and slightly curly looking, but not anymore. I guess that is why she thought it.

tishthedish
Jan 21, 2007

I'm standing at her shores

Puppy showed up in our driveway last night. Husband and I went to a vet to see if he had a microchip, but he didn't. We were planning to get a dog anyways (though Husband wants a certain breed), and we might keep him if no one answers the fliers we put up. Does anyone know what Puppy is? I'm thinking a German Shepherd/Beagle mix, but I am really more of a cat person. :eng99:

edit: Also, Puppy doesn't make much noise. In the 24 hours that he's been at our house, he's barked once. I think I also heard him bay. It was after we shut the door for the night, and he made some sad noises for about one minute.

tishthedish fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 6, 2012

Mean Bean
Jan 19, 2012

My blood type is Folgers.

Abiggoat posted:

I'll stop with the pictures now because this isn't Post Your Pet

I'm afraid I'm gonna need at least twice as many pics in order to properly identify your doggy! :)

Ass Waffle
Jun 18, 2004

I am fostering what I think is a German Shepherd mixed with a Rottweiler, what do you guys think? Another person sees Doberman in him, but I don't really see it. He does have a pretty spotted tongue.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
I definitely see rottweiler, and possibly GSD in that dog. He looks too heavy to be a doberman mix.

Brisbane would like to take a moment to share a cupcake with you all:

As long as you don't have slobber issues...

Sutureself
Sep 23, 2007

Well, here's my answer...

rear end Waffle posted:

I am fostering what I think is a German Shepherd mixed with a Rottweiler, what do you guys think? Another person sees Doberman in him, but I don't really see it. He does have a pretty spotted tongue.

He looks a lot like my dog Barkley (posted earlier) who was listed as a lab/gsd, who I thought was a small doberman/gsd/lab, but now I think he might be a kelpie mix. So depending on where you are, and what the dog weighs, maybe a kelpie mix?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
We rescued two dogs about eight years ago. One is, according to the shelter, a supposed Border Collie/Lab mix, the other is, and this I have my doubts on, a Bull Mastiff/Doberman mix. The Doberman/Mastiff mix is named Rosie. Someone found her in a plastic bag floating in a river. She's the dumbest dog in the world, repeatedly chasing her tail at top spin until she goes headfirst into a wall, she's like Odie. But she's cute as a button.

Click for big on all the pictures:

She'll always come sniff the camera if you get close.

And her ears are super expressive. I was holding a treat, here.

Any opinions on her parents? She's far too small, only 60 pounds or so, to be a Mastiff. That said, she is far and away the strongest dog I've ever seen. Solid, wiry muscle, and fast as a greyhound. As well, in those pictures she is 8 years old.

edit: to put it in perspective, she's strong enough that even as a tiny puppy, she was able to climb a vertical criss-cross pattern 4-foot childproof gate dozens of times to escape.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 13, 2012

Etheldreda
Jun 1, 2008

I am now the proud owner, as of yesterday, of my first dog-of-my-own, who is a female 6-month-old shelter mutt of unknown origins.

(the shelter didn't give her a cone)

She's perhaps a Cardigan Welsh Corgi + Raccoon?

I don't have a name for her yet! I was thinking Tallulah but I'd just end up shortening it to Lulu, and that's too close to my cat Lucy who died last year. So we're still coming up blank.

She's very sweet and is picking up using the leash very quickly! She thinks my cats are neat, and I think they are figuring out that she's pretty harmless (there was even a moment with one cat + dog lying on the couch together already, but I didn't have time for a picture) though she has once in a while thought maybe she should lunge at a cat. The cats didn't really notice.

My only concern so far is that she growled and snapped at a big golden dog at the vet's this morning who was trying to sniff her face. She also growled at a picture of a corgi on the cover of a magazine, which was much more funny. Puppy group classes don't start till next weekend so I hope I can train her a bit on my own to be nice around other dogs before I get some professional help :)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I suggest naming her Ellie. Plus, Ellie is a really easy name to yell at the top of your voice.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Captain Invictus, she has blue eyes? I can definitely see dobe but then there's something she reminds me of that I can't quite place. Doesn't seem like a mastiff of any sort at all.

Etheldreda welcome to the cattledog mix club. I see cattledog/corgi. Have fun with the biting and barking! She's adorable though :3:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Captain Invictus, yeah I don't see blue eyes. :confused: I see brown irises and light reflecting from the camera flash. But I think there's certainly some Dobie in there, but no mastiff.

Etheldreda, what Instant Jellyfish said. :3:

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Etheldreda, the speckling on her legs and her colors reminds me of a basset hound, for another opinion. :3: Fits the big ol' thumpy tail too.

Etheldreda
Jun 1, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

I suggest naming her Ellie. Plus, Ellie is a really easy name to yell at the top of your voice.

The terrible thing here is that I think Ellie is a great name but I have always thought if I ever have a daughter, I want to name HER Ellie. So I can't use it for a dog :( (even though I'm single and turning into a crazy pet person so will likely be a spinster with 80 cats, etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Skizzles posted:

Captain Invictus, yeah I don't see blue eyes. :confused: I see brown irises and light reflecting from the camera flash. But I think there's certainly some Dobie in there, but no mastiff.
Yeah, my mistake. Every single picture I have of her shows that blueness so I assumed her eyes are blue, going up to her(and doing my best to hold her still to get a good look) I see her eyes are brown.

Etheldreda posted:

The terrible thing here is that I think Ellie is a great name but I have always thought if I ever have a daughter, I want to name HER Ellie. So I can't use it for a dog :( (even though I'm single and turning into a crazy pet person so will likely be a spinster with 80 cats, etc).

Wow, that's a hell of a coincidence that I picked that name!