Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
realqueenbetty
Nov 2, 2005

And then swing your swift sword, sister
Swing your swift sword now
Swing your swift sword, sister, sister
Swing your swift sword now

Thoogsby posted:

I know for a fact BAML is trying to fill an analyst spot on their Real Estate Capital Markets Syndicate desk in Charlotte if anyone is looking to lateral or is graduating without a job.
Sent you a PM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
PM'd you with recruiter info.

Disco Dickdog
Nov 30, 2007
I have (tentatively) lined up an internship working for a British commercial bank, in London, for 12 weeks, starting in September I have been told I will be working directly under the CFO, and with the investment bankers, on the IPO.
What should I study up on, and how can I leverage this experience into getting a more permanent role somewhere doing finance stuff?

Background: Bachelor's in Economics from a top SLAC, poor grades, research internships at small NYC-based hedge funds, varsity athlete (crew).

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Disco Dickdog posted:

I have (tentatively) lined up an internship working for a British commercial bank, in London, for 12 weeks, starting in September I have been told I will be working directly under the CFO, and with the investment bankers, on the IPO.
What should I study up on, and how can I leverage this experience into getting a more permanent role somewhere doing finance stuff?

Background: Bachelor's in Economics from a top SLAC, poor grades, research internships at small NYC-based hedge funds, varsity athlete (crew).

Depends on what type of work you're doing. Generally I'd say read up on the IPO process but if you can give more detail people will probably be able to give better advice.

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES

Disco Dickdog posted:

Get the CFO to believe you should be collaborative with the bankers in building the pricing models for the offering. Build out a model, or work from the bankers model on the impacts of where you might price/what you might raise on total capitalization and the resulting impact on the bank and its lending. This will get you close to the bankers and also will be valuable experience.

That's my vote.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Hey guys. I've read this thread and talked to some of you via PM in the past. I'm finally at a "decision point" (or in some ways, lack of decision point), and would like your advice on the best way to proceed. My ultimate-ultimate goal is to get into PE, so my near term (2 years) goal is an position at a BB (NYC, because I love Manhattan). This is where my knowledge on the subject ends and I will defer to you guys.

Education: I'm in the process of finishing college (junior standing). The best program I have been accepted to so far is UMich's LS&A (Economics). I'm waitlisted at UNC Kenan-Flagler but that's neither here nor there. I'm working off the one that I know I got for sure. I understand that I would be better off at UMich Ross (greater resources available for recruiting, grade inflation, etc), but doing 4 more years in college is not an acceptable option to me.

Work Experience: Almost 7 years as an (intelligence) analyst, 5 of which were for the military, the last 2 as a civilian. I've done everything from strategic analysis, to re-organizing/wholly creating intelligence organizations, to brokering deals with outside entities (other nations embassies, private corporations etc) for information sharing. Inside our community it's an extremely solid resume. Some quantitative analysis and the use of probabilities in determining potential outcomes is used in my (about to be former) field, but most of it is more :words: based. I also have 4 years of managing analysts, which I have been told previously may actually be very helpful in my pursuit of a job. I have no idea how my experience would be viewed in the eyes of a BB recruiter looking at resumes. (Edit: I have no previous experience nor any internships in the finance industry, though obviously I intend to pursue internships.)

May I solicit recommendations on the best way to proceed?

Rrail fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 27, 2012

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Rrail posted:

Hey guys. I've read this thread and talked to some of you via PM in the past. I'm finally at a "decision point" (or in some ways, lack of decision point), and would like your advice on the best way to proceed. My ultimate-ultimate goal is to get into PE, so my near term (2 years) goal is an position at a BB (NYC, because I love Manhattan). This is where my knowledge on the subject ends and I will defer to you guys.

Education: I'm in the process of finishing college (junior standing). The best program I have been accepted to so far is UMich's LS&A (Economics). I'm waitlisted at UNC Kenan-Flagler but that's neither here nor there. I'm working off the one that I know I got for sure. I understand that I would be better off at UMich Ross (greater resources available for recruiting, grade inflation, etc), but doing 4 more years in college is not an acceptable option to me.

Work Experience: Almost 7 years as an (intelligence) analyst, 5 of which were for the military, the last 2 as a civilian. I've done everything from strategic analysis, to re-organizing/wholly creating intelligence organizations, to brokering deals with outside entities (other nations embassies, private corporations etc) for information sharing. Inside our community it's an extremely solid resume. Some quantitative analysis and the use of probabilities in determining potential outcomes is used in my (about to be former) field, but most of it is more :words: based. I also have 4 years of managing analysts, which I have been told previously may actually be very helpful in my pursuit of a job. I have no idea how my experience would be viewed in the eyes of a BB recruiter looking at resumes. (Edit: I have no previous experience nor any internships in the finance industry, though obviously I intend to pursue internships.)

May I solicit recommendations on the best way to proceed?

Have you considered consulting as a route to PE? It would likely be in a more operational role but I would think someone with your background would be utterly bored and tortured as a banking analyst.

I'm also slightly confused about what degree you're pursuing at those schools. Is this for MBA?

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I apologize - undergrad.

I had actually read previously that consulting would be a dead-end if your eventual goal was PE. Is that not the case? Consulting is absolutely more within my scope of interest.

Edit: I've started reading up on the subject and it appears that I was indeed mistaken, though it appears that consulting is more fit to exit into mid-market PE opportunities than anything else. Certainly something I'm still interested in, I'll have to continue researching this.

Rrail fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Apr 28, 2012

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Work for awhile in finance in any capacity and then get an MBA. Then you'll have a chance to recruit, jump into banking, and move into PE.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I know there's an MBA thread (and I'll ask in there in a moment probably), but would my >7 years of work experience, 4 of them in a managerial capacity, be enough to get me into a great MBA program (Harvard/Stanford/Columbia/Booth, etc) without any time in my career in between? On paper, my accomplishments sound impressive (I believe), but I don't know if it's a hard-and-fast requirement to work in between.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Rrail posted:

I know there's an MBA thread (and I'll ask in there in a moment probably), but would my >7 years of work experience, 4 of them in a managerial capacity, be enough to get me into a great MBA program (Harvard/Stanford/Columbia/Booth, etc) without any time in my career in between? On paper, my accomplishments sound impressive (I believe), but I don't know if it's a hard-and-fast requirement to work in between.

I think it's understandable you're not working full time when you're in school currently. However, you should be pursuing the normal internships/extracurriculars/finance classes/projects/blah blah.

Its Miller Time fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 3, 2012

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Rrail posted:

Right now, the way I see it, you have two options. I think your best bet would be option A: Go back to school for a 1-year masters program like an MSF and then start applying at boutiques and middle market firms for an analyst position. A degree like that won't boost your resume much, but it'll help you transition into the analyst class. It really depends on what exactly you were doing for those 7 years of work experience, because you might be overqualified, in which case, you'll have no choice but to wait and apply for post-MBA spots later. You're older than most will be, but being in the military is about the best excuse you can have for that. The veteran alumni are amazing, and there's no shortage of networking opportunities. Your experience on the private side is going to be a boost in your story too if you can make it sound interesting. I'm only applying for undergrad and I've already got back up options for a freshman internship in NYC and DC, and a few contacts in this years summer analyst crop.

http://veteransonwallstreet.com/links-and-resources/

Option B would be to go for your MBA. In this case, some finance experience is probably necessary, depending on your current experience. I don't know about your grades or school quality, but it's really only worth your time to go to a top 10 program. It's a pretty brutal recruiting process for those spots, so you need every ounce of help you can get on your application. If you did get into say Michigan, you could find a job on Wall Street, but you'd be fighting for the scraps. If you decide to do it, Stern, Kellogg, and Booth are your best bets if you can't get into HYP, Columbia, etc. Networking is the name of the game, and there's no substitute for living in Chicago or NYC when it comes to that. With a good internship, you could definitely find a good job with some effort.

I couldn't tell you about whether or not your exact work experience would flag you as overqualified for an analyst spot, but that's something you'll need to find out to plan properly.

These articles are worth the read.

http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/military-investment-banking/

http://www.mergersandinquisitions.com/investment-banking-masters-programs/

And for your B-School admissions questions:

http://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/ask-stacy-blackman-consulting-business-school-admissions

Thoogsby, I'm waiting for a list of the panels to come out for the WSO conference, but so far everything is unofficial. I do know that the guy who wrote the article about why he was leaving Goldman Sachs (not Greg Smith) that ended up on Dealbook will be there. He was in SLC and left to get his MBA, so he wrote about how great the culture there was as kind of a response to Smith's letter. Should be interesting. Also saw quite a few experienced HF and PE guys planning to set up panels as well. Rrail, if you're able to be in NYC at the end of July, I'd check that out. Great way to get some contacts. I'm traveling up from Illinois to go to that and to visit Columbia and NYU.

pissingintowind, I'm sure you would be, but I doubt it'd be worth your money unless you were also interested in IB.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 4, 2012

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

I have a kind of screwball question that hopefully hasn't already been answered waaayy back.

I'm managing my own money and some accounts for a couple of other people. I'm basically (trying) to work as an analyst in my picks, in terms of reading 10-K reports, reading the charts, setting up option spreads, doing macro-research, scouring the news, checking historic vs implied volatility, all that stuff. I'm still in the process of learning but so far I'm doing pretty well with a reasonably large amount of money.

I live in a developing doing private english lessons, consultancy, and courses/editing/lecturing to helping people here get their MBAs since my undergrad study was mostly economics and I'm willing to read other people's textbooks. My degree is in liberal arts and I have a masters in philosophy and I'd have to say I have pretty weak math skills, but I have a decent abstract understanding of what goes into some of the more important formulas and why/how they work.

Everyone I know who's working towards a job in finance or already has an entry level job has looked at me like a dog being shown a card trick when I asked them if I'd ever be able to parlay this skill-set into a job. They pretty much said the only people even being considered now have an MBA from one of the top schools, have advanced mathematics skills, and have good references from internships.

So, have any of you ever heard of any investment bank or boutique hedge fund or any grouping involved in "high finance" hiring a self-taught trader with almost zero qualifications? Can I show them my portfolio/trading history/ROI/sample case studies over the last several years as a substitute or are they totally uninterested until I get an MBA and a series of unpaid internships and learn calculus and discrete mathematics?

Right now I'm content with managing my own accounts and I may feel that way indefinitely, but I'd like to know if I can use certified records of consistently getting good returns ((2-3x the S&P average over the course of three years, let's say) while maintaining a fairly balanced portfolio to try to get a foot in the door, or if no one considers that to be a measurement of anything important.

Smerdyakov fucked around with this message at 23:45 on May 4, 2012

Waroen
Jun 23, 2006
Fuck Jesus and Fuck Shoes!!
Usually personal trading accounts don't count for much of anything unless you are managing a few million already. It's definitely valuable to learn the skills but a far long-shot unless you go back for an MBA.

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

What exactly do you see yourself doing? Outside of IB there are lots of places that could do with a desk assistant or something, but you're not going to find them at college recruiting drives. Also consider that any role will likely put significant restrictions on what you can do on your personal account.

Swingline
Jul 20, 2008
Going into detail about MY PERSONAL ACCOUNT is a pretty good way to make your interviewer hate you from what I've heard. They want to hear more about your passion for investing and specific industries/securities you follow, not your P&L.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Smerdyakov, I have an English undergrad, and neither the school nor GPA were anything to brag about. Consider doing an MBA at a school that places well in asset management. Kick rear end academically, get into the student-run investment fund, and network like hell with professors and alums. I just finished the first year of my MBA and will be working on the buy-side this summer. It's definitely possible, but it's pretty unlikely from your current position.

Swingline posted:

Going into detail about MY PERSONAL ACCOUNT is a pretty good way to make your interviewer hate you from what I've heard. They want to hear more about your passion for investing and specific industries/securities you follow, not your P&L.

This. I've never been asked about my personal portfolio, at least not directly. A brief winning or losing streak with small amounts of money doesn't really mean very much, especially at the entry level -- they're more interested in your research and analysis abilities, your understanding of business strategy and market dynamics, and your dedication and passion.

Also, when talking about your accomplishments, you'll have to be a lot more specific. "I got good returns with a fairly balanced portfolio" means nothing. "I did a bottom-up DCF and found that ABC was 15% undervalued, which was then realized by the market through two consecutive earnings beats" means something. Also, be prepared to talk about trades or analyses that went wrong and what you learned from them.

Also, since we're talking about asset management in the banking thread, let's be clear: investment banking does not include sales and trading or portfolio management. Going into an asset management interview and saying you want to be an investment banker would end your chances pretty quickly :)

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Swingline posted:

I mean, I understand the idea is strange and they're going to be incredulous, so I don't need to be poo poo on gratuitously for asking about it. It's not like I'm flipping coins over here and getting lucky over a 3 month period with 500 dollars, and what does my analysis of a security really mean if I don't want to risk any money? Like, it's easy for someone to say "Well of course I knew apple would move from 450-600, and this year it'll be 700" but that really begs the question of why they didn't take a position on it since their analysis had apparently made them certain from the beginning.

I'm now controlling about 100,000 dollars plus another two hundred thousand in margin, (which is peanuts for a bank but for a private individual not bad) for about two years and despite some truly massive fuckups on my part I've gotten a 11% ROI (wihout margin) followed by an 14% ROI(with margin) over a two year period. Maybe I'm an idiot and I've just been lucky two years in a row, but then can't that charge be leveled at any successful trader multiplied by the number of years they've been trading?

Morris posted:

This. I've never been asked about my personal portfolio, at least not directly. A brief winning or losing streak with small amounts of money doesn't really mean very much, especially at the entry level -- they're more interested in your research and analysis abilities, your understanding of business strategy and market dynamics, and your dedication and passion.

Thanks for the information! I guess it seems a little backwards to me to not about how well people are managing money before they go on to manage other people's, but maybe there's something vital I'm missing. I know tactics have to change with economies of scale, but an institutional investor watching the stock price get murdered and wanting to know why is in substantively the same position as a single trader.

I'd be happy to talk about the research I've done on various securities and commodities and give a few of them a complete rundown, if some evidence of that ability is required. I can talk about my assessment of stocks in the present, but that's not something they can see in a one week period and I don't really imagine they'll call me on the bat-phone because I was right about one stock in an interview six months before. Basically, I'd be impressed at this point if I could get a foot in the door to even have something approximating an interview.

Assuming that I have little to no interest in getting into an MBA program (since from what I've gathered, they also don't give a poo poo about any case studies and overall portfolio when considering admissions) am I just toxic from that point on? Basically, I'm not good with paperwork, I don't interview that well, and I have no relevant experience or references. But I understand the core principles of trading/investment and in general I seem to be applying the right mixture of fundamentals analysis and technical anlaysis, or I've just been lucky over hundreds of trades over a two year period. I mean is a five year track record meaningful? What about ten? Do they ever star paying attention, or not really? If this isn't the way they do things and if there are forms to fill out and hoops to jump through, that's fine but I'm probably not doing it and I should just stop imagining it as a possible career path.

I'm happy with my returns, I'm happy with my development on the knowledge curve but I'm wondering as to if this can lead to a more normal life of tie-lunch-company parking spot or if no matter how good I get I'm going to be sitting in my house in my underwear drinking miller high life while staring at three monitors for eight hours a day five days a week.

Smerdyakov fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 6, 2012

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Here's a great article for all you aspiring investment bankers from the always funny and insightful Epicurean Dealmaker:
http://epicureandealmaker.blogspot.com/2012/04/can-buy-me-love.html

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Smerdyakov posted:

Assuming that I have little to no interest in getting into an MBA program (since from what I've gathered, they also don't give a poo poo about any case studies and overall portfolio when considering admissions) am I just toxic from that point on? Basically, I'm not good with paperwork, I don't interview that well, and I have no relevant experience or references.

You basically lack any professional credibility, especially relative to the oceans of advisors/managers out there. I would encourage you to become more knowledgeable about the industry and the business of managing money. Also consider a degree in economics, and/or making friends with some billionaires.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
If you're dead-set against an MBA/M.Fin., your remaining option is to start working on your CFA and network like hell (assuming your country has some active CFA chapters). However, the odds are against you getting a job with just a CFA L1 and no MBA, the CFA involves a lot of paperwork and jumping through hoops (and :10bux:x100), and you can't get your full CFA until you've been working in the industry (full-time) for 4 years.

Otherwise, yeah, what unixbeard said.

Side note: In finance, it's absolutely critical to network and interview well. This applies to you prospective investment bankers as well.

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Ok, that answers my questions pretty fully, and the link is helpful!

"You often make lots of money, but unless you are a solitary, unmarried, childless hermit who thrives on macaroni and cheese and tap water.."

This describes me exactly which is why I thought it would be a good fit, but it seems like what I'm doing now doesn't ramp up to anything else without getting the certifications/ networking so I'll just have to be content with this. Basically I'm pretty thoroughly out of any system of legibility and credibility and it's not going to be easy to re-enter without getting some magical expensive documents. It's always good to know what's realistic.

Smerdyakov fucked around with this message at 09:37 on May 6, 2012

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES

Smerdyakov posted:

"You often make lots of money, but unless you are a solitary, unmarried, childless hermit who thrives on macaroni and cheese and tap water.."

This describes me exactly which is why I thought it would be a good fit, but it seems like what I'm doing now doesn't ramp up to anything else without getting the certifications/ networking so I'll just have to be content with this. Basically I'm pretty thoroughly out of any system of legibility and credibility and it's not going to be easy to re-enter without getting some magical expensive documents. It's always good to know what's realistic.

Yeah the problem isn't that what you have done isn't impressive, it is. Making 2-3x the S&P for three years and consistently adding to your track record is impressive, there is no question. It's just that the asset management gigs you are thinking about are hyper competitive, so there will be other guys interviewing that have your track record and also have a great school and built the track record at an institution...

I do think with good networking though you could parlay that into a job with a small asset manager and then move up to a larger one based on what you do there.

Socialism
May 9, 2009

Smerdyakov posted:

How badly do you seriously want to work at a hedge fund? (You'll probably never get into an investment bank except maybe a lovely low-rung underpaid position just fyi)

If you're truly motivated, I can tell you the basic path you have to do - I've spoken to sizable number of hedge fund analysts and those who came from non-traditional and non-connection routes have done at least the minimum:

- Write investment thesis, in fact write many investment theses. Get people to read them and give feedback - ask friends/family/anyone you know who knows anything about business. Make sure your writing is excellent and ideas are very convincing
- Make yourself good at interviews. Take drugs, hire tutors, do whatever you have to do to not suck at answering the behavioural questions
- Literally contact everyone you know who might be even remotely useful. Comb through alumni list; use linkedin to find high school alums if you absolutely have to.
- Perfect your resume, pay for a professional review service.
- Reach out to headhunters first. They'll probably ignore you 99% of the time in ordinary circumstance, but if you've done my first suggestion and have a couple phenomenal investment theses written up then you have a better shot.
- Then reach out to individual funds, you can cold email your resume+thesis if you have no contacts.

There are a LOT of resources available - check out http://www.distressed-debt-investing.com/ (1) and the other websites linked there. You can pay the dude $3000 or something and he'll advise you on how to best approach things, but to be blunt for you I don't think even the $3000 advice is going to be sufficient.

The above are pretty much the absolute minimum you have to do. You can also grind your way through MBA (which it doesn't sound like you want to) or an asset management/ [insert-generic-finance-job] career but that would cost you quite a few years of your life.

oh and

Smerdyakov posted:

and I'd have to say I have pretty weak math skills

I hope this means "I don't know calculus very well" rather than "I'm not good with arithmetic, even the basic stuff." Because if it's the latter then you have ~0% chance of getting past first round interview even if you manage to land one. You don't need advanced math, just at least be reasonably quick in doing basic math operations in your head.

(1) It's a blog focused on distressed debt but it has a lot of info on investing in general and links to other very helpful websites

Socialism fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 8, 2012

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Back from a long graduation weekend. Too bad it wasn't my own. Lots of friends moving onto NYC for IB, Operations, and Big-4 in various functions. But it's nice to see we're still crushing people's dreams in here.

If you can stand anymore brutal honesty Smerdyakov, there have been unlikely success like the one you're proposing but the fact of the matter is if you aren't willing to pursue the certifications and pavement-pounding required of you then you'll likely just remain where you are. Nothing wrong with that, who wants the restrictions and pressure of trading for an institution anyway?

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
Pros and Cons of moving to a satellite office in Silicon Valley? The coordinator here is really pushing for it.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

fougera posted:

Pros and Cons of moving to a satellite office in Silicon Valley? The coordinator here is really pushing for it.

What's the job?

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

Thoogsby posted:

What's the job?

IBD: Tech, Healthcare, M&A

Most concerned about my career options after moving out to a satellite office. I guess I don't have to return to the tristate area as long as I have decent opportunities there.

Also would I be spending more on cost of living?

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES

fougera posted:

Most concerned about my career options after moving out to a satellite office. I guess I don't have to return to the tristate area as long as I have decent opportunities there.

Silicon Valley isn't satellite anything other than a few less people in the office - especially if you are doing tech M&A

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

fougera posted:

I hope you like technology; there are lots of opportunities if you do

If you live in SF and commute down the peninsula like me and pretty much every other junior person where I work, you'll probably spend roughly the same as you would in New York

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
First question is pretty standard reboot query: Is there a way to do a career change with no tech/quant background without an MBA? I taught for a few years and do PR/white boy work for a company in Beijing, but no math/money background at all. I have a very good HS network in Chicago but went to a bush league university and studied history. I interview well, have a lot of connections and am reasonably competent in Mandarin and Spanish, but have nothing I can point to in terms of quant/finance experience beyond the MBAmath course and my GRE quant score (no GMAT, I thought I wanted to do public policy but soured).

Second: Are there any entry level positions that I could reasonably finagle using networks with no experience or should I just shoot for the MBA? Despite my background I had very good quant scores on the GRE but having no GMAT it limits me to Kellogg in Chicago, which I believe is out of my league. I'd imagine Champaign and Mendoza are good bets too for Chicago jobs. Maybe Iowa? Indiana and Wisconsin don't take the GRE. Even if these schools are not elite, I have a very good network from HS and being a Chicago native that I think would make up for it (75% of my friends/friends' dads/friends husbands are in finance/banking, I've asked a few questions to don't want to deluge them)

I dont' want to do long weeks (90-100hrs) for very long, would prefer public finance or ops as I plan on starting a family in the next five years (I'm 31), so I'm just wondering if I'm setting myself up for a Quixote endeavor here.

menino fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 9, 2012

Swingline
Jul 20, 2008
Just got back from my investment theory final and the difficulty of it made me glad I already have a sweet job lined up for this summer and a 96 average going into it.

He threw two curveballs that weren't in any practice problems or the lecture notes:

1) He gave us the current stock price, risk free rate, and value of a call @ strike price 20 and we had to find the value of a put with strike price 15. I circled the "D) can't find with information given" option but I should've just used the random number generator on my calculator to guess.

2) He had us price a european option using the risk-neutral binomial method for two periods. Then he asked us to value the same one as if it were an american option. Since the up probility was higher than the down probability I said a rational investor would hold it for both periods and only exercise at expiration so it doesn't matter.

Did I get both those questions wrong?

One more random question: can you short spot commodities? If not I got an arbitrage question wrong :v:

Swingline fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 10, 2012

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

fougera posted:

Before you think of Silicon Valley as a satellite office read this article.

http://www.businessinsider.com/morgan-stanley-goldman-sachs-facebook-ipo-2012-5

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Swingline posted:

Just got back from my investment theory final and the difficulty of it made me glad I already have a sweet job lined up for this summer and a 96 average going into it.

He threw two curveballs that weren't in any practice problems or the lecture notes:

1) He gave us the current stock price, risk free rate, and value of a call @ strike price 20 and we had to find the value of a put with strike price 15. I circled the "D) can't find with information given" option but I should've just used the random number generator on my calculator to guess.

2) He had us price a european option using the risk-neutral binomial method for two periods. Then he asked us to value the same one as if it were an american option. Since the up probility was higher than the down probability I said a rational investor would hold it for both periods and only exercise at expiration so it doesn't matter.

Did I get both those questions wrong?

One more random question: can you short spot commodities? If not I got an arbitrage question wrong :v:

1) I think you're right. It could easily be solved with p/c parity if they had the same strike. You're probably wrong though because no finance professor has ever let a student off with a "not enough information" since the dawn of time.

2) Don't really understand what you're saying in your answer.

You can't short a spot commodity in the sense I can open up e-trade and short an ounce of gold but you can be short by selling futures contracts. If it was an arbitrage question this is probably what he/she was expecting you to pick up on.

Thoogsby fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 10, 2012

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

I might have made this up in my mind but did we have someone in here working in Real Estate IB? If so, I would love to talk to you.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Thoogsby posted:

1) I think you're right. It could easily be solved with p/c parity if they had the same strike. You're probably wrong though because no finance professor has ever let a student off with a "not enough information" since the dawn of time.

2) Don't really understand what you're saying in your answer.

1) Assuming he had all the other info he could back out the implied volatility, recalculate with a put strike of 15. You'd have to assume the implied vol was the same across strikes (or the professor may have said that in the question.)

2) He didn't specify if it was a call or a put. If it was a call on a stock with a dividend he probably generated the tree in such a way that there was an early exercise point before the dividend. If it was a put it would have to be deep in the money. I've never heard of u > d as a reason for no exercise.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

evilwaldo posted:

Before you think of Silicon Valley as a satellite office read this article.

http://www.businessinsider.com/morgan-stanley-goldman-sachs-facebook-ipo-2012-5

I'm not working for a bulge bracket, it's a solid middle market and I don't know how strong they are in tech.

Mr. WTF
Jun 12, 2003

I DON'T GET JOKES

Thoogsby posted:

I might have made this up in my mind but did we have someone in here working in Real Estate IB? If so, I would love to talk to you.

Hey Thoogsby - I'm not in RE IB...but I started and sold a commercial office real estate company a while back and just recently got off the board of another one - so familiar with REITs, securitizations, working with bankers as a principal. Now I do tech IB.

Not sure if this helps. I'm not well versed in RE IB as a job.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Mr. WTF posted:

Hey Thoogsby - I'm not in RE IB...but I started and sold a commercial office real estate company a while back and just recently got off the board of another one - so familiar with REITs, securitizations, working with bankers as a principal. Now I do tech IB.

Not sure if this helps. I'm not well versed in RE IB as a job.

I'm mostly interested in breaking into REPE. The difference between REIB and big brokerages with capital markets desks (CBRE/JLL) is making me a little lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilwaldo
Aug 2, 2004

@dcurban1: #FlyersTalk @28CGiroux and @Hartsy19 What do the C and A mean to you? We as fans expect more.Are you leaders or do you just make funny vids

@dcurban1: #flyerstalk @28CGiroux @Hartsy19 The A and the C are supposed to mean something. Leadership not stock quotes to reporters. Time to lead.

fougera posted:

I'm not working for a bulge bracket, it's a solid middle market and I don't know how strong they are in tech.

Point is still there. Silicon Valley should not be looked at as a satellite office given them amount of money and opportunities there.

If they treat it as one then chances are they do not get much deal flow.

If you treat it as one then you will miss a lot of great opportunities.

• Locked thread