Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

JohnnyMondo posted:

Weird to me that Trap and Juke is though

I mean where else is it really gonna go? This is the decent electronic thread in the general forums and by god I want to keep it that way. If you guys really don't want it in this thread then I will shut up, but I think it's very relevant considering some very big-name artists are dropping/making Juke or Trap tunes all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Maguro posted:

I just dont understand why they didn't just label their tunes Juke (since it's been taken in a very experimental direction recently) and instead make up a really whack rear end name for a fake sub genre so people can dye their hair purple or blue.

Same as when everyone else tries to do name silly genres: :10bux: and the fame.

Well probably mostly the fame rather than the money. And by fame I mean someone might half-remember their name out a list of a thousand other artists who make nothing special at all and consign themselves to putting stuff out solely on Soundcloud, or maybe Bandcamp if they think they're taking it seriously.

Anyway I still think you guys are all secretly loving with me with all these genre names. Like,"Oh let's screw with the Glaswegian! He's weird and backward!" Bloody colonials, cunts the lot of you! :argh:

Seriously though I saw them use the phrase Seapunk in ew once a few weeks ago so I figured it was just those guys being well, those guys. I do kinda like they apparently have a colour scheme though. Snazzy. Though the fact I'm hearing video game samples of Sonic drowning and that the wiki even mentions loving Ecco The Dolphin kinda lets me know everything I really needed to know sadly.

And as to what's relevant. I don't know, one of my benchmarks is simply what are the the pirates playing (or have played)? That always seemed to narrow stuff down.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
Juke and trap are relevant as they're forward thinking, bass oriented electronic music, even if they're not technically UK bass. There is a big audience crossover, DJ Rashad and DJ Spinn have played sets on Rinse, and those trap beats that S-X made got a lot of play too.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Okay after all this talk of sub-genres and what not, I think it's important to post a tune that is a massive one right now of course but totally deserves it:

Rusko - Whistle Crew

http://youtu.be/rr8pgAt2tYY

Man Rusko can still pull it out (imo) I'm considering spending 35 bucks to see him on a monday but considering its a Louisiana crowd I'm not sure if he;s gonna be dropping stuff like this and his lenkemz juke dubplates :(

Anyone seen him on his US tour recently?

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Maguro posted:

Okay after all this talk of sub-genres and what not, I think it's important to post a tune that is a massive one right now of course but totally deserves it:

Rusko - Whistle Crew

Man Rusko can still pull it out (imo) I'm considering spending 35 bucks to see him on a monday but considering its a Louisiana crowd I'm not sure if he;s gonna be dropping stuff like this and his lenkemz juke dubplates :(

I like that tune less because of the actual tune and more because it just because it reminds me of so many dances, raves, mixtapes, pirate shows or whatever that I've either been to, bought or listened to over the years.

Honestly though I'm with you, Rusko can still cut it when he wants to. I just wish he would more often. The new album isn't even the pile of shite you'd think it'd be either! Well mostly...

Like you said I think a lot of people who've been put off over the years would still go to see him (I'd be tempted) but then you just think well what's the rest of the crowd gonna be like? Then you think how he'd sadly probably play the obvious to please them a bit, ignore some of the legitimately cool stuff he has and it'd just be poor vibes all around. Especially for $35 (which is what? £25 give or take? Steep)

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Maguro posted:

No [seapunk is] a really really weird and dumb off shoot that a bunch of the "juke for nerds" started doing. That song linked sounds nothing like most of it tho, it's really just kinda atmospheric juke with a dumb name. "peasunk vol 1" Is a good free comp that will give you an idea of the sound.

I know its a bit late but I'm going to try to make some things clear.

Actually most seapunk doesn't really sound like juke at all, it's more about the attitude than the sound anyway, so even if it did sound like juke (which it doesn't), the name and attitude came before the music. here is a NY Times profile on Seapunk. I mean listen to Zombelle, the face of Seapunk, and you'll see that there is no resemblance to juke.

Also real quick re: trap music. Hai already basically set the record straight but I think it was missed. Trap music is not just anything that sounds like Lex Luger - though that is the current sound at least - but trap music was again more about the content and attitude than it was about the sound. It's not some new thing that appeared when Lex Luger made Hard in the Paint, but has been around for a while. I mean, Young Jeezy (who has been recommended thank you hai) has been around for a while and none of the instrumentals he goes on sound like Lex Luger at all but Jeezy's I Got Money is pretty d*ng street (thank you DJ Toomp). The same can be said of T.I.. Really, this kinda stuff belongs in the rap thread. Sure Lex Luger instrumentals and the like can be found in sets on the boiler room and can be relevant etc, but that doesn't make it uk bass and a Lex Luger instrumental isn't automatically trap (I don't think anyone would call H.A.M. trap).

Okay, enough of that now.

Returning to what is relevant: Blawan's set at Boiler Room this past week was amazing. This was played and sounds like a newer version of Blawan's "His Money" but with a different sample from the same Fugees track (How Many Mics) and harder drums. Also the disclosure fact mix is great, I can't wait for that Dusky tune (or any of the new Dusky tunes) to drop. Kinda funny how they go from making basically cool handbag house on anjunadeep to getting played by loefah and friends.

a milk crime fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 6, 2012

Battle Cattle
Aug 13, 2003

MOO.

a milk crime posted:

Also real quick re: trap music.
T.I.'s Trap Muzik came out in 2003, so people having their minds blown today cracks me up. Good looks on the Disclosure FACT mix, and thanks for the bit about #cpunk. Personally, I think the new TSARS EP is basically very bassy IDM, and I really like it.

BUTTERWORBS
Oct 16, 2002

Battle Cattle posted:

T.I.'s Trap Muzik came out in 2003, so people having their minds blown today cracks me up

Yeah and Master P dropped this in like 97
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVxKEs1dm0U

x!te bike
May 2, 2008

All this classic stuff is great but there are producers using the sound and taking it in some weird directions. Flosstradamus mixes trap with hardstyle and it somehow works.

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Battle Cattle posted:

T.I.'s Trap Muzik came out in 2003, so people having their minds blown today cracks me up.

Amen. This exactly.

BUTTERWORBS posted:

And Amen.

Thank you bredren.

Also I don't remember seeing it mentioned yet (forgive if it has been) but this mix goes p hard. Bok dropping gems. Vjuan Allure on the Bok Bok remix >>>.

Battle Cattle
Aug 13, 2003

MOO.
So then, how does this thread feel about purple? http://vimeo.com/38007094

The regular song wouldn't fit, but this hosed up bootleg...

x!te bike
May 2, 2008

Thanks for proving that the sound has been around for a while I guess? What point does that make? That producers shouldn't bother to take it new directions? It's a big sound and I'd like to hear more modern interpretations of it.

Also yes, that Bok Bok mix is great. I like this Girl Unit tune from it. Can't wait for that to drop.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Maguro posted:

Rusko - Whistle Crew

I've been off Rusko for some time, but this tune is great, same as 28GBB, this just makes me nostalgic. My music tastes are stuck somewhere between mashcore, bassline and 90's cheese so this is right up my alley.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008
I was a 12 year old in the English countryside when that T.I. album came out, so forgive me for cracking you up that this is a new-ish sound to me. And it's relevant to this thread because the thread is about the UK Bass scene as a whole, and this sound is definitely influencing the scene. It's nice that this thread has largely avoided 'this music is/isn't that genre or this genre' talk, which is due to the thread being about a scene, rather than a genre. Let's keep it that way. :)

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Anae posted:

I was a 12 year old in the English countryside when that T.I. album came out, so forgive me for cracking you up that this is a new-ish sound to me. And it's relevant to this thread because the thread is about the UK Bass scene as a whole, and this sound is definitely influencing the scene. It's nice that this thread has largely avoided 'this music is/isn't that genre or this genre' talk, which is due to the thread being about a scene, rather than a genre. Let's keep it that way. :)

Ah well I actually do feel stupid now I remember about that T.I. album. The name makes sense now! Though I think I probably just wrote it off a decade ago. If it wasn't Garage or Grime I wasn't that interested. Still swing that way from time to time too.

Funnily enough before this whole Trap debate I was thinking how it was influencing the music. But the other way around. Half the American stuff I hear nowadays (which I have to admit isn't too much) I keep thinking sounds like rip-offs or really influenced by stuff done over here over the past 5-10 years. Like some of the examples of the Trap stuff just seemed like kinda slowed down Grime stuff at times with how it sounds, at least that's what I think. I figured it was just the American music was remembering how to actually be dance-worthy again.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

a milk crime posted:

Actually most seapunk doesn't really sound like juke at all, it's more about the attitude than the sound anyway, so even if it did sound like juke (which it doesn't), the name and attitude came before the music. here is a NY Times profile on Seapunk. I mean listen to Zombelle, the face of Seapunk, and you'll see that there is no resemblance to juke.

Oh, well a bunch of dudes are labeling juke-ish tunes as "Seapunk" or "peasunk" on soundcloud. Now I REALLY don't understand why.

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Maguro posted:

Oh, well a bunch of dudes are labeling juke-ish tunes as "Seapunk" or "peasunk" on soundcloud. Now I REALLY don't understand why.

trendhopping

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

BUTTERWORBS posted:

On that tip, this UGK classic came out in 1992!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InIz8jiyvFI

And then they pretty much laid the dirty south blueprint in 94 with this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-L49pm1rY8

Anyway, I get that Juke and Trap are definitely influencing the UK Bass scene, and I actually really love it, but when I listen to stuff like Addison Groove's new record it just literally sounds like Juke to me, so I was a little shocked to see how it's considered UK Bass. Most genre breakdowns are over my head anyway though. I love all that poo poo either way.

infinity2005
Apr 12, 2005
y halo thar lol
UK Bass is just a catch-all term though not a genre. The 4 in the topic plus i'd say techno-influenced, house-influenced and wonky... but even that wouldn't cover everything. Dunno what you'd call something like LOL - Me Me or the Old Apparatus releases.

Got the Lone LP coming on tuesday, looking forward to that.. anyone into vinyl should check redeye-records cause some newer LP's are cheaper than the CD release like Distal.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Actually I recommend not checking out redeye-records cause it will probably deplete half of your bank acouunt.

It's the "sales" that get ya.

x!te bike
May 2, 2008

There's a guy from Hiroshima making some pretty wild sounding Juke tracks that I like a lot. Most of them either have references to Japanese action movies or sex in some way.

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

Jesus, Nemo you alright?! Spaz! .... Stop Smiling!
Oh jesus it looks like I'm gonna have to go donate plasma this month to make rent. Distance is coming to Dallas this Friday with Dub Assembly and there's no way in hell I'm missing this.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

HatchetDown posted:

Oh jesus it looks like I'm gonna have to go donate plasma this month to make rent. Distance is coming to Dallas this Friday with Dub Assembly and there's no way in hell I'm missing this.

Wow, night before both him and J:Kenzo are playing in Houston- and makes me wonder why he doesn't have a Dallas date. Trees also recently made some huge upgrades so they have the best system I've heard in the metroplex. The bass is excellent and I really like that it's basically a larger small venue.

E: And if you wanted to know more, I didn't realize it was put in when they reopened. http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/dc9/2012/01/sound_advice_lee_russell_pilot.php

air- fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 7, 2012

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

air- posted:

Wow, night before both him and J:Kenzo are playing in Houston- and makes me wonder why he doesn't have a Dallas date.

Don't you ruin this for me :argh:

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

HatchetDown posted:

Don't you ruin this for me :argh:

Oh no, wasn't trying to do that at all! Hope you bought your ticket because a friend mentioned it's already sold out (and I never hear that happen at that venue, holy gently caress). I just figure whoever did the booking may as well have gotten both of them for one insane night to really push the system at Trees to it's limits.

Besides, Goth-Trad isn't coming until sometime in August, plus I can't make Reconstruct in NYC since I have to be back in TX for a wedding :smith:

HatchetDown
Jan 6, 2007

It sold out on some other site, that was actually a friend of mine saying it was sold out on the event page but there's still plenty of tickets left through the venue. I am way too excited. Might try and get an interview with Mundo, I can't find a press contact for Distance unfortunately or I'd shoot for that too. Thankfully I went ahead and snagged four tickets ahead of time.

I can't believe it's only ten bucks.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

x!te bike posted:

There's a guy from Hiroshima making some pretty wild sounding Juke tracks that I like a lot. Most of them either have references to Japanese action movies or sex in some way.

Man this dude is pretty great.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
This is kind of a stab in the dark, especially since it's older, but can anyone identify the track that plays at 28 minutes in Scuba's Hotflush Podcast 3? 28GBB? :q:

I've googled the poo poo out of this and I can't find this track. Normally I would have given up but I'm finding myself rewinding the mix just to hear that track again.

Firaga fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 8, 2012

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
This one is a couple years old now, but I missed it when it came out. Black Coffee is still repping the sexy style of UK Funky (although this one veers into soulful house territory, but the lines were always blurry) that I love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q0sXXIM7GA

If anyone has good mixes aside from the obvious ones (the Rinse and I Love Funky ones) I'd love to hear them.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Firaga posted:

This is kind of a stab in the dark, especially since it's older, but can anyone identify the track that plays at 28 minutes in Scuba's Hotflush Podcast 3? 28GBB? :q:

I've googled the poo poo out of this and I can't find this track. Normally I would have given up but I'm finding myself rewinding the mix just to hear that track again.

Sadly you'll be disappointed as off the top of my head I really can't think. Though given the mix is from 2009 you could start by going through the Hotflush catalogue from '09/10. Some of the stuff on there was that kinda style. Producers like Sigha on there had that kinda vibe, though I don't think it's one of his. The problem though since it's Scuba it could just as easily be aa Marcel Dettman track or some other German thing (something off Ostgut Ton maybe?), but I'm not exactly the man in the know for that kinda Deutsch'ting.

Mike_V posted:

This one is a couple years old now, but I missed it when it came out. Black Coffee is still repping the sexy style of UK Funky (although this one veers into soulful house territory, but the lines were always blurry) that I love: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q0sXXIM7GA

If anyone has good mixes aside from the obvious ones (the Rinse and I Love Funky ones) I'd love to hear them.

You know one of the real shames of UK Funky is it never seemed to spawn much recorded material - like mix wise - beyond what you mentioned. At least now that I know of. It seemed to jump from the clubs to the charts to the dustbin in record time. And since it was a bit too cool there wasn't really the massive nerdy element there to record it all. Though to be fair maybe if they actually released stuff that might've changed. Funky vinyl releases dried up way too quickly and half the rest seemed to stay on dubplate in the CD wallet without even a cheap wee crappy digital release.

I do know Que Pasa put out a bunch of CDs though. There's some by Supa D and Footloose and a bunch of others. Never heard 'em before and I've only ever seen them in ukrecordshop.com but there we go. The best bet actually would be to track down any recordings off pirates from '07/08, before the whole skank craze came in and it was still pretty sexy. Might be easier to find something from Rinse, but Deja Vu was really kicking it then too. Not sure where you'd find them though, but I'll have a root about for anything as it's got me interested too.

And a bit of a wild card since you mentioned Black Coffee, you could go a bit more commercial and check out some Defected comps. I know I know heresy, they may be a bit too much on the straight House tip for you, but things like their Dennis Ferrer House Masters album you might like (it does have The Cure & The Cause after all, kinda early proto-Funky). Plus I'd just do things like search for what comps producers like Black Coffee ended up on, I know Turns Me On was on at least one Defected Ibiza release but scanning the shelves I can't find it right now and I can't remember the year.

Like I said might not be exactly what you want, but a lot of better House then slotted right in with Funky (and definitely was an inspiration to the UK guys, alongside other UK stuff).

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

So Mutant Bass just put out Rico Tubbs's Bass For Your Face EP.

The original track I can take it or leave it, but holy poo poo both the Phatworld and Squire of Gothos remixes are awesome and Squire are dropping some banging donks.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Sadly you'll be disappointed as off the top of my head I really can't think.

No... :negative:

Actually thanks for the advice I dipped into the catalogue and turns out it's one of Scuba's EPs from 2009. Happy happy day, sharing my find :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2QlyR1ua-s

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
The new Girl Unit EP makes me wanna bust some moves in the middle of my office

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004

Bellend Sebastian posted:

So Mutant Bass just put out Rico Tubbs's Bass For Your Face EP.

The original track I can take it or leave it, but holy poo poo both the Phatworld and Squire of Gothos remixes are awesome and Squire are dropping some banging donks.

Nope, sorry. This is garbage.

Edit for content: I don't mean to just shitpost but someone has to say it. This isn't the kind of music that this thread is for.

Dopo fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 9, 2012

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Weaponized Cum posted:

The new Girl Unit EP makes me wanna bust some moves in the middle of my office

For real. Plaza is my favourite I think. I can't wait to mix this stuff in

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK

Dopo posted:

Nope, sorry. This is garbage.

Edit for content: I don't mean to just shitpost but someone has to say it. This isn't the kind of music that this thread is for.

That Squire of Gothos remix is sick man, what are you talking about. Do you like bassline house or early '90s rave?

_Dav
Dec 24, 2008
Anyone here going to outlook? Just realised the other day that I can skanger an Ex-Yu ticket for £80, woop!

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

_Dav posted:

Anyone here going to outlook? Just realised the other day that I can skanger an Ex-Yu ticket for £80, woop!

I'm probably getting a ticket soon, how exactly do you get that discount? What's ex-yu?

knox
Oct 28, 2004

_Dav posted:

I volunteered and got the steward job (easiest I think) but I probably can't afford to go. Really loving want to though. Might just throw down the lovely deposit at the deadline and see if I can go when it comes up. I think I'd be in heaven while there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium
Honestly some of the more noisey take on Bassline is a bit iffy, but Bassline/Niche/Jacking House/Whatever small variation it's calling itself today is worth it just for the fact it's the one strain of Garage that kept Garage's love of bootlegging the latest pop and R&B tunes (first person to say that's really Organ House gets a kick up the arse). Is it cheesy and dodgy as gently caress? Hell yes, but it's part of the charm really. It's kinda truthful and honest like that. No shite attempts at being edgy or poorly attempting to play the song up and make fun of it. It's the smuggling a bottle of Mad Dog into the Unders or school disco, before getting chucked out 'cause your mate just whitied on the stairs kinda music. If you've never done that it's probably not for you.

_Dav posted:

While I've never been it's crazy how big Outlook seems to have gotten over just a couple of years. Every year I hear more and more people raving about it. If it wasn't for my general poorness and dislike of tents, camping and hostels in general I'd even be up for it.

Anyway I've been getting around to uploading some odds and ends from my recent nostalgia/re-organising raid of my record shelves. So here's a couple of choice cuts, all Garage of some kind. Some more Housey Garagey, some more Breakbeaty, some more 2-Steppy. All bits and bobs you've possibly never heard before. And if you have it obviously means you're just really cool.

24HR Experience - Jazz From The Heart
Apparently according to Discogs since this is the quasi-white label pressing this version of the track is different from the actual release so there we go. I should probably pick up the proper Nice 'N' Ripe release to compare.

The Dangerous Brothers - Can't Stop The Feeling (Volcanic Mix)
This is from the Larger Than Life Records release, which is a bunch of different mixes from the Nice 'N' Ripe release. Typical early Grant Nelson Garage release, which obviously means it's awesome. Real hands in the air kinda thing.

Sia - Taken For Granted (Groove Chronicles Vocal)
You'd think her new found fame since that Flo Rida would mean I could sell this on for thousands and live like a king. Well not a very rich king, but whatever. Sadly not and I'm stuck with this great little Groove Chronicles remix. Ah well, win some lose some.

Oris Jay - Trippin' (2010 Dub)
Having a listen to his again for the first time in about 6-7 years makes me wonder if Oris Jay actually had a time machine. If you ask me not too different than some of the stuff we did hear in 2010.

DJ Zinc - Flim (Horsepower Mix)
Horsepower take a crack at what was probably the best tune off Zinc's Faster album. And I don't mean that in a snarky way either as that album was really good and I really liked the concept behind it. Geeneus under his Wizzbit alias remixes it up good on this plate too. I'd probably still that up too, but apparently MRCPS or someone decided to flag the content so now I'm pure para I'm gonna get Polydor commandos swooping in my window.

Goldspot Productions - Sonybeat
The A-Side got a bit more play, ending up on one of the Bingo Beats comps if I remember right, but it's Sonybeat that I've always preferred for some reason. Honestly I used to love these early 2000 breakbeat Garage tracks so much. Couldn't get away with it nowadays mind you.

DJ Abstract - Nothin But A Gangsta
Everyone's favourite American bass pioneer Abstract put out this cut on Deekline's Rat imprint. While I know the guy's off doing other various musical things as well as probably enjoying life, sometimes you wonder if he'd kept at it a bit longer, kept moving with the currents until Dubstep blew up what would've happened to his career.

• Locked thread