Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

FronzelNeekburm posted:

There's also that fact that John and Jade are spending three years traveling to... wherever they're headed. If they're going to end up in B2 in the same Bilious Slick, wouldn't it have made more sense to just pop outside of the Universe, then immediately back in once it was done rewriting itself?
Well, it's not the entrance that matters (presumably turning around would just place them back in B1 right before the scratch hits), it's the exit. Presumably through ~dream shenanigans~ Jade knew that there would be another fourth wall at the end leading to B2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

creationist believer posted:

I think I posted that analogy as a convoluted joke before Act 6 started but now it makes sense. A slightly better analogy might be a video tape with a side A and side B.

That would explain why the last two albums have a pre-scratch "Side A" and a post-scratch "Side B", yes.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

There's also that fact that John and Jade are spending three years traveling to... wherever they're headed. If they're going to end up in B2 in the same Bilious Slick, wouldn't it have made more sense to just pop outside of the Universe, then immediately back in once it was done rewriting itself?

Perhaps in theory, but the point is rendered moot because John and Jade didn't depart from any Bilious Slick at all; their gateway was a window in their original session's Incipisphere.

(A window which was/will be presumably consumed in the scratch, and which would lead back to the wrong Incipisphere altogether in any case. Remember, the game generates a new, separate Incipisphere every time the game is played.)

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

JT Jag posted:

The biggest threat to Bilious Slick still being destroyed even in the B2 universe is that Jack used Red Miles from outside the universe. In theory, the Scratch never would have mattered to that.

If all the Scratch affected was the meteor portals from Skaia then yeah, definitely. I mean, the planet of dino-men over in the andromeda galaxy probably aren't gonna be much different just because some backwater planet in the Milky Way had one or two different meteor impacts over it's history.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Bobulus posted:

Oh, mean, Treestuck is seconds away from the 'K8LL M8' scene. Join me in watching as another encounters the horror and beauty of this scene, won't you?

Dammit, why'd you introduce me to another "Let's Read Homestuck!" blog? I can't stop reading now after seeing stuff like this post!

Dark Grapefruit
Jun 3, 2006

All cans are welcome and equal in your city, regardless of can content, and whether empty or full.
Did anyone else go to TCAF and see the oil painting of Hussie? Ryan North commissioned it, because of course he did.
Here's my lovely cell phone pic of it:

I have no doubt that this will show up in the comic somehow.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008

CidGregor posted:

But the two universes have interacted: Jake sending the robo-bunny back and forth with Jade, and Jaspers ending up with Roxy for a while and then being sent back to Rose after death, to name the most obvious examples. So both universes must have existed "simultaneously" in some capacity, in that both versions of the universe must have existed side by side at some point, probably independently from each other's timelines.

I sort of forgot this. This page shows the device Roxy used to send Jaspers back to Rose. Skaian technology apparently has the ability to interact with either iteration of the universe. Jake most likely has a transmaterializer in the frog temple ruins that he's been using to send parts and letters back and forth to Jade.

The Side 1/Side 2 explanation definitely makes more sense, and it does seem to be the official interpretation, so I'll just go with that.

PikaPuff posted:

I just assumed space is gigantic. Imagine a chess board. Each square is a different universe. B1 didn't get overwritten as B2. B2 is just way over there. And A2 and B1 got used to make the green sun. If they were overwritten, are you saying A1 was and B2 will be used to make the green sun?

If we're going with the 2 sides of 1 tape explanation, then it doesn't matter. Each universe was destroyed at some point and the Tumor harnessed the energy released at that point to create the Green Sun.

Why am I thinking so hard about fictional metaphysics :psyboom:

Geddy Krueger fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 8, 2012

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Dammit, why'd you introduce me to another "Let's Read Homestuck!" blog? I can't stop reading now after seeing stuff like this post!

Heh, yeah, that one's going to backfire on her, big time. :D

Her favorite characters are Aradia, Sollux, and Vriska. She just watched Aradia and Vriska die in one night (that is, blow up and go godtier), and she has no idea of the emotional rollercoaster she's in for.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So me and a friend have been listening to Colours and Mayhem, Universe A mostly. Is anyone here capable of answering a question we have?

Where the hell did Purple Bard come from? According to the liner notes, it used to be called Paradox Remnant, but it doesn't say who it was originally written for while the rest of the songs do, incuding the ones that weren't reshuffled. The clown-ish feel and the name makes us think Cal, though.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS

Nate RFB posted:

Hussie also had a big ol' X through BS here.

You can see Lord English apparently sneaking in behind him. Never noticed that -- especially since the robot dies shortly thereafter.

Scale Model Giant
Jan 19, 2009
Can you? I see his head along the top, but that just signifies that he hasn't died.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Topatoco wouldnt take my credit card and paypal had locked me out for a week (nothing was wrong! they just felt like making sure it was me), so I missed the signed copies of book 2 :qq:

Fagtastic
Apr 9, 2009

I may have sucked robodick, fucked a robot in the exhaust, been fucked by robots & enjoy it to the exclusion of human partners; at least I'm not a goddamn :roboluv:

Scale Model Giant posted:

Can you? I see his head along the top, but that just signifies that he hasn't died.

good lord was that always there?

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Fagtastic posted:

good lord was that always there?

Yes. That page is from after the original LE reveal, mind.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

B2 is the same universe as B1, it's just the timeline that changed due to the meteor portals switching around.

If Aradia can pull a bunch of alternate versions of herself out of alternate timelines of her universe, I see no reason why Jake can't send packages to an alternate timeline of his.

I guess the easiest way to think of it is that the scratch changed the alpha timeline to a different track, and now B1 is a beta timeline.

Red Miles happens at the same time regardless of any of this, since it originates from outside the universe.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The scratch just flipped the universe over to the B-side. Same record, different tracks, different music.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
We don't know anything in Homestuck unless it was stated explicitly by some character with actual knowledge (Doc Scratch, trolls watching the kids' timeline, etc) or until we see it, so until this happens, red miles happening in B2 is a big question mark. There are good arguments for both sides, but nothing conclusive.

Minor nitpick, but I don't think Aradia summoned or 'pulled' her alternate selves fro the beta timelines; I think rather each beta Aradia travelled back in time after realizing they were in a beta timeline. Aradia would have had to have come to a decision at some point after becoming a robot to travel back in time and help the alpha timeline if she ever found herself in a beta.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Lord of Laughton posted:

We don't know anything in Homestuck unless it was stated explicitly by some character with actual knowledge (Doc Scratch, trolls watching the kids' timeline, etc) or until we see it, so until this happens, red miles happening in B2 is a big question mark. There are good arguments for both sides, but nothing conclusive.

Minor nitpick, but I don't think Aradia summoned or 'pulled' her alternate selves fro the beta timelines; I think rather each beta Aradia travelled back in time after realizing they were in a beta timeline. Aradia would have had to have come to a decision at some point after becoming a robot to travel back in time and help the alpha timeline if she ever found herself in a beta.

I'd say the one thing we can confirm is that the Red Miles will still happen. After all, regardless of how the Scratch affects the frog, the Red Miles is an external actor.

EDIT: It's hard to say much beyond that, though. The Red Miles will happen, but we don't know how it will affect the Scratched frog. Maybe it just won't do anything. It's a little weird.

King of Solomon fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 8, 2012

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

Did I miss anything important?

Dark Grapefruit posted:

Did anyone else go to TCAF and see the oil painting of Hussie? Ryan North commissioned it, because of course he did.
Here's my lovely cell phone pic of it:

I have no doubt that this will show up in the comic somehow.

I love how it was just nonchalantly hung in The Pilot for the Topatoco pre-party before people even got there, like it was a spectre that snuck into their lives. BTW TCAF ruled. My friend didn't have any Homestuck merch at the time of it, though, so he got Hussie to emboss his copy of "All My Friends Are Dead".

Fitting, I think. Especially with the "You're welcome".

EDIT: Another gem is this video of Hussie telling you his favourite character.

FutureSushi fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 8, 2012

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Bobulus posted:

Her favorite characters are Aradia, Sollux, and Vriska. She just watched Aradia and Vriska die in one night (that is, blow up and go godtier), and she has no idea of the emotional rollercoaster she's in for.

I love her names for some of the characters. "Accidentally Lesbians" for Kanaya is the best.
Gosh, Treestuck is freakishly adorable and makes for a weird contrast to ManVs.

SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

This Unit Will Self-Destruct Upon Termination of Target

KoB posted:

Topatoco wouldnt take my credit card and paypal had locked me out for a week (nothing was wrong! they just felt like making sure it was me), so I missed the signed copies of book 2 :qq:
Don't worry, if it's like Book 1, then you should expect the signed copies to be back in stock soon enough. You just have to wait.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Update.

I'm pretty sure that the Dirk talking to Jake is in fact a product of Jake's imagination, not an actual dream Dirk, or alternate universe dead-Dirk. We probably should have believed that at face value and not tried to rationalize how Jake knew Jack's name like that.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Splinter Dirk: Not really real and still loving with Jake like a champ.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

So then the question remains: how does Jake know the name Jack?

quote:

You couldn't quite be the other guy anyway since he's dead

Well, I guess that's one way for that to have turned out.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Bongo Bill posted:

So then the question remains: how does Jake know the name Jack?

Well, I guess that's one way for that to have turned out.

I think that is in response to the guy that Jack showed his stabs to, not Jack himself.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Quotetype posted:

I think that is in response to the guy that Jack showed his stabs to, not Jack himself.

Oh. Right. Duh. Can't believe I didn't pick up on that.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
Brain ghost memory splinter Dirk is my new favorite. :allears:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Constable Lemon posted:

I'm pretty sure that the Dirk talking to Jake is in fact a product of Jake's imagination, not an actual dream Dirk, or alternate universe dead-Dirk. We probably should have believed that at face value and not tried to rationalize how Jake knew Jack's name like that.

Yeah, I was totally wrong there. Oh well.

Poor Jake. The human male mind is constantly filthy. You can't really blame him, especially if he's been completely physically isolated for his entire adolescence.

This conversation implies that Jake just got told a shitload of backstory off-screen. Perhaps even the correct identity of his penpal and such! Between this and Dirk and Roxy being in the future, I feel bad for Jane, who apparently only has a former-drug-abusing clown for an information source.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Dialoguelog posted:

DIRK: You have got to be kidding. Did you seriously just think something THAT dirty?
DIRK: You must be doing this on purpose to spite me now. I mean, just wow dude. That was x-rated as gently caress.
JAKE: (No no stop. See youre talking about it and now i cant help it!)
JAKE: (You are psyching me into having dirty thoughts get loving lost you interloping brain douche!!!)
DIRK: Don't worry, I'm gone. It's like a goddamn peep show in here and I feel like a sleazy piece of poo poo watching this from a dark corner of your mind.
DIRK: You have a graphic imagination, English. I'm kind of impressed.
JAKE: (Shut up theyre just thoughts its not even like im trying to have them THEY DONT MEAN ANYTHING!)

:allears:

This is seriously great.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Ahahahahahahahaha, poor poor Jake. Also Aranea I don't think that's quite admiration that he feels for you, if you get what I mean. :pervert:

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

quote:

JAKE: My life?
JAKE: I wish i could say it was more interesting but its actually been a mite lackluster.
JAKE: There are monsters but i try to stay away from them to tell you the truth.
JAKE: Its mostly just me sitting around here watching movies and stuff and sometimes polishing firearms.
JAKE: Guns are sweet. So are movies heh. This is a terrible story.

Jake is a massive goon.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My first thought was /k/. Jake's a fairly nice guy though.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

DIRK: She's a loving empath, bro. She can pick up on poo poo like that.

Man, what are the odds you would see this line of dialogue in anything other than Homestuck? :allears:

e: Also, and by way of providing a counterexample to my own assertion, if Hussie were to visually represent Jake's exposed emotional state via a pigeon perched on his head you would see absolutely no argument from me!

loquacius fucked around with this message at 13:15 on May 9, 2012

QueerPope
May 1, 2010

Meow.
So Dirk decided to use the "don't think of a black cat" strategy to make Jake think of dirty things, which would then give him an erection, just as threatened.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS
An idle thought: could the shenanigans that Vriska and Tavros are planning relate to the death of the horrorterrors?

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Saradiart posted:

An idle thought: could the shenanigans that Vriska and Tavros are planning relate to the death of the horrorterrors?

The horrorterrors are still just one giant question mark, it sort of feels like the story kind of forgot about them. Well, not really forgot, but put them on the back burner and made them less important than they originally appeared.

I guess maybe they get the brilliant idea that if the horrorterrors glubbed up the dream bubbles, killing them will let them escape. Or maybe that's actually how that works. Or maybe the horrorterrors work for Lord English. Or maybe they don't. Not much to work with yet. Hell the only thing we've got to put them in the 'Anti-Lord-English' camp is they told Rose to destroy the code in an attempt to stop Bec from getting made, but we've learned by now that the timeline's prewritten to the point that some beings take the perspective that intent doesn't matter. The horrorterrors might've just told her to do that because that's what they were supposed to say at that junction, it ended up working out for Lord English.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

The mystery of the dieing HorrorTerrors in a funny thing.
As the story has progressed my thoughts as to who was slaying them have changed to whomever the bad guy is at the time. From Mighnight Crew or The Felt,Jack or Snowman to Doc Scratch then to Eridan then on to Lord English maybe even Gamzee then now Tavros and Vriska also uu is possible as well.
I'm really curious who it is and for what reason there are so many possibilities that's it building up to a :lost:. Where no matter what happens a lot of people will not be happy with it.

Speaking of which, I hope Eridan gets some more screentime.
He spent a lot of time off by himself and had plenty of opportunities for someone to meddle and feed him misinformation to either make him do what he did, or to put certain things in place for later.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

It honestly seems like the killing of the Horrorterrors will be the endgame plotline of this comic.

Because it seems to me that if you the HTs are creating the dreambubbles where all the dead/asleep characters are hanging out, killing off the HTs will probably make bubbles cease to exist, removing the "safety net" of death. It would create a time limit for the protagonists to stop the kiling before various "dead" characters cease to exist.

Doc Scratch claimed that Lord English is an accepted part of the universal ecosystem (or, at least, the HTs consider him a known quantity), so I don't think he's what's killing them. Good odds on it being Jack, since he's the one flying around out there.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Bobulus posted:

Doc Scratch claimed that Lord English is an accepted part of the universal ecosystem (or, at least, the HTs consider him a known quantity), so I don't think he's what's killing them. Good odds on it being Jack, since he's the one flying around out there.

I think English is as much part of the natural ecology as MissingNo. is to Pokemon. He's natural because every universe has this mistake of coding in it.
Sburb is still in beta/alpha after all.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Here's my Lord English theory: The bad guys are still working to engineer him.

Doc Scratch did basically everything he did for a reason. Namely, to summon Lord English into the A2 universe. But after setting both universes on a destruction course (setting Jack against Snowman, doing the stuff necessary to give Jack first-guardian powers and start the scratch that forced Jack to flee, sending Rose and Dave to the Green Sun's future location), Doc Scratch and Lord English kept doing stuff. What was the point of sending the Batterwitch to A2? To just summon him again? Seems like a been-there, done-that kind of thing. And GCAT doesn't seem like the right kind of host for LE, anyway.

I'm convinced that while B2 and A1 were responsible for creating his power source / summoning him, A2 will be responsible for originally creating him.

If that's the case, we know his plan will work (he's already here), and probably the best the heroes can do is create a loop out of the A1/A2/B1/B2 sessions such that he's trapped in just those four sessions. He doesn't seem like the character you defeat in an RPG fight. He seems like the kind of brute you outwit so you never have to fight in the first place.

Now, as for how he actually gets created in B2? We've speculated about that before. And Hussie is giving us a lot of red herrings, probably. So I'll save that for a future post when we have more info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I don't know if he can really be loop-trapped in the kids and trolls session, considering he's supposed to have destroyed countless other sessions. Where did Lord English originate, exactly? I don't mean in the "he's already here" single-universe sense, but the multiverse sense where he moved from session to session, laying the seeds for his creation and so on. It's the closest thing to linearity in his timeline I can imagine.