Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Popelmon posted:

WHAT. THE. gently caress.

I'm currently watching the Star Wars Holiday Special riff. I have never seen it before and I really don't know what to think.

This is the dumbest thing I have seen in a long, long time and obviously the rifftrax guys think so too. What a trainwreck.

Edit: I'm missing most of the rifftrack because I just zone out while I watch the complete insanity on the screen. What the gently caress were they thinking? I know it was the 70's but no amount of drugs can explain this. Holy poo poo.

Have you made it to Itchy's virtual reality masturbation session?

It's the highlight of the 70's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Currently watching the introduction of Boba Fett.
Everything hurts. My brain is actively trying to leave my body, my eyes are trying to retreat into my head and my body is just shaking with laughter.

WHY IS THERE A DINOSAUR THAT EATS LASERS?

Edit: And now some...robot? Is giving instructions on hot to assemble something. WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS?

Seriously, did David Lynch direct this? Or maybe early Cronenberg. That is the ONLY explanation for this.

TOBOR! TOBOR! is ROBOT! spelled backwards. Jesus Christ.
SHE JUST POURED ALCOHOL INTO A MAN'S HEAD. What the gently caress.

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Apr 25, 2012

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Keep going.

The insanity hasn't started yet.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Keep going.

The insanity hasn't started yet.

How do you feel about Bea Arthur?

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Yeah my eyes are as big as Zooey Deschanel's now and I can't close them anymore. WHAT THE gently caress AM I WATCHING? Bea Arthur's song will stay with me forever I'm afraid.

What was Flying High? Seems like it was all about people taking their clothes off.

Was I just goatse'd by a loving pantyhose ad?

Popelmon fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 25, 2012

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Just breathe dude. It's like getting tear gassed in the academy. You'll survive. We've all been there.

weekly font posted:

How do you feel about Bea Arthur?

I'm more of a Rue McClanahan.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
And I'm trough. Just...wow. I'm at a loss for words.

"Star Wars! You and your kids loved it! Then tonight happened!" indeed. This was absolutely magnificent and this is my favorite Rifftrax now. I heard about Carrie Fisher's coked out performance on this but seeing it in action was something else.

I really loved how the Rifftrax guys were at a loss for words from time to time.

Now...how do I get my eyes back to normal size. I want to go to sleep at some point.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Behonkiss posted:

What happens at the end? I'll probably watch the riffed version at some point, but I'm just curious.

Bigfoot attacks the sheriff guy, so they throw gasoline on him and then throw a signal flare at him. He lights on fire, burns to death and then THE END.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
The Star Wars Holiday Special was sampled on Unkle's first album. At the beginning of Unreal and the end of Bloodstain

I mean, that counts for something, right? Right?

Luigi Thirty posted:

Bigfoot attacks the sheriff guy, so they throw gasoline on him and then throw a signal flare at him. He lights on fire, burns to death and then THE END.

Still, a better Bigfoot movie related ending than The Geek.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 25, 2012

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
double post

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Yeah that holiday special is extremely polarizing the first time around. My brother loved the pantyhose ad.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Holy poo poo, the spinning lunchbox in Frankenstein Island. Bill (I think) goes "Whooah.. Whooooaaaahh!!" It gets me every. time.

Edit: God, the last 15 minutes or so of Frankenstein Island are amazing. Everything after when they actually create Frankenstein.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 26, 2012

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Popelmon posted:

WHAT. THE. gently caress.

I'm currently watching the Star Wars Holiday Special riff. I have never seen it before and I really don't know what to think.

This is the dumbest thing I have seen in a long, long time and obviously the rifftrax guys think so too. What a trainwreck.

Edit: I'm missing most of the rifftrack because I just zone out while I watch the complete insanity on the screen. What the gently caress were they thinking? I know it was the 70's but no amount of drugs can explain this. Holy poo poo.

Thanks to this post I ended up watching it again tonight. Still one of my all time favorite Rifftraxs. Still laugh when they start talking about Mr French in the middle of the bizarre dream sequence.

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY

Popelmon posted:

And I'm trough. Just...wow. I'm at a loss for words.

"Star Wars! You and your kids loved it! Then tonight happened!" indeed. This was absolutely magnificent and this is my favorite Rifftrax now. I heard about Carrie Fisher's coked out performance on this but seeing it in action was something else.

I really loved how the Rifftrax guys were at a loss for words from time to time.

Now...how do I get my eyes back to normal size. I want to go to sleep at some point.

There's a great book called "What Were They Thinking?" which is all about stupid TV poo poo over the years (Spock's brain and the Flying Nun are on the cover, giving you a pretty good idea what to expect). Counting down from a hundred, the Special leapfrogs Cop Rock, The Harlem Globetrotters on Gilligan's Island (twelve times dumber than it sounds), My Mother the Car, Supertrain and Pink Lady and Jeff to stand proudly alone at #1, as "The Worst Two Hours of Television Ever."

"The story takes a dramatic turn when the treehouse is invaded by Imperial Stormtroopers. Viewers at home shouted 'Shoot Lumpy first!' but alas, the white-armored drones are as inept here as they are in the movies, and content themselves with messing up Lumpy's room and watching a Jefferson Starship video. No, really[...] And that's just the first half."

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

No surprises, but on Facebook Rifftrax just announced they will eventually riff The Avengers.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Shadley Puffin posted:

There's a great book called "What Were They Thinking?" which is all about stupid TV poo poo over the years (Spock's brain and the Flying Nun are on the cover, giving you a pretty good idea what to expect). Counting down from a hundred, the Special leapfrogs Cop Rock, The Harlem Globetrotters on Gilligan's Island (twelve times dumber than it sounds), My Mother the Car, Supertrain and Pink Lady and Jeff to stand proudly alone at #1, as "The Worst Two Hours of Television Ever."

"The story takes a dramatic turn when the treehouse is invaded by Imperial Stormtroopers. Viewers at home shouted 'Shoot Lumpy first!' but alas, the white-armored drones are as inept here as they are in the movies, and content themselves with messing up Lumpy's room and watching a Jefferson Starship video. No, really[...] And that's just the first half."

I love how there is a good 15 minutes in which the speak Wookie without subtitles.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IUG posted:

No surprises, but on Facebook Rifftrax just announced they will eventually riff The Avengers.

Honestly, I'm not that big a fan of the "good movie riffs" (assuming Avengers is as decent as reviews are indicating). Like, the Memento riff had a few good jokes but mostly just kept distracting me from enjoying the film itself.

The exception is the Harry Potter movies, which I enjoy well enough on their own (my daughter loves them, okay?) but the riffs just take them to the next level.

I hope they do The Hunger Games though. Good flick, but lots of room for jokes.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
I don't think we have to worry about The Avengers being a good movie.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

precision posted:

Honestly, I'm not that big a fan of the "good movie riffs" (assuming Avengers is as decent as reviews are indicating). Like, the Memento riff had a few good jokes but mostly just kept distracting me from enjoying the film itself.

The exception is the Harry Potter movies, which I enjoy well enough on their own (my daughter loves them, okay?) but the riffs just take them to the next level.

I hope they do The Hunger Games though. Good flick, but lots of room for jokes.

I know you have to watch a movie before you use Rifftrax sometimes. I watched Cloverfield with Rifftrax the first time I watched that movie. While I hated that movie, you spend more time watching the movies than paying attention to the jokes. So if it's a movie you like, you have to watch it enough times that you can kindof ignore the movie, or know it well enough that you don't need to pay attention to it to get what's going on in the "background" of the jokes.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I find riffs of movies I've watched and enjoyed before the riffs came out are among my favorite ones. I have no problem switching back and forth between enjoying a movie on its own and pointing out its absurdities in the riff.

And then there's the dirty little cabinet with the terrible movies that I'd never touch without a riff, and if anyone ever finds it I'd have to say, "Oh no no no, they're for Rifftrax! You know Rifftrax? Well have you ever heard of MST3K...?" and so on.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, I'm the same way. I can easily enjoy the Rifftrax on Star Wars or Willy Wonka (movies I enjoy). But at the same time, if it a movie that just doesn't take itself seriously, then it hard to really riff on the movie when itself has no interest in being serious.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Olivia42 posted:

I find riffs of movies I've watched and enjoyed before the riffs came out are among my favorite ones. I have no problem switching back and forth between enjoying a movie on its own and pointing out its absurdities in the riff.

And then there's the dirty little cabinet with the terrible movies that I'd never touch without a riff, and if anyone ever finds it I'd have to say, "Oh no no no, they're for Rifftrax! You know Rifftrax? Well have you ever heard of MST3K...?" and so on.

http://www.rifftrax.com/goodies/stickers-set-20
Just cover the cases with these.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Is it double posting if it's days apart?

http://www.rifftrax.com/dvds/rifftrax-live-jack-giant-killer

DVD and On-Demand, but no Bluray yet. Just reading the summary made me remember how many of the good lines from that movie got forgotten.

ON MY WAY!

EDIT: Just saw on Twitter that there will not be a bluray for some reason.

IUG fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 2, 2012

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Going to have to buy it later this week. So glad they made the extras available for the download version, as I was upset when I bought download versions for the other shows and found out the dvds had some exclusive extras.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Rirse posted:

Going to have to buy it later this week. So glad they made the extras available for the download version, as I was upset when I bought download versions for the other shows and found out the dvds had some exclusive extras.

This gives me hope for when the Manos live riff is released for all the rest of us poor Canucks. Just downloading JtGK right now, might not get to watch it until tomorrow though.

edit: Holy making GBS threads :lol: those cartoons!
edit2: I did not expect Kevin to start singing Lonely Island.

Ensign_Ricky fucked around with this message at 09:56 on May 2, 2012

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:
I bought the Curse of Bigfoot and watched it with a friend. We had to make a chart to keep track of which movie was which in this jumble of a film.

Also, I love the class those kids were taking. Where else can I spend hours reviewing facts on the griffin.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
New VOD announced!

quote:

Not so much the X-Men kind of mutant, and not so much the Teenage Ninja Turtle kind of mutant, Mutant is all about that most iconic form of mutant: the one that seems a lot like a zombie. Yes, when you see hordes of zombies chasing the citizens of this sleepy Southern town, you might be tempted to tell yourself “I am watching a zombie movie.” When the words “mutant” and “mutation” are never used in the course of the script, and you are watching flesh-eating zombies eat flesh, you might really get into this closed-minded “this is absolutely a zombie movie, why is it called Mutant” headspace. But remember that these are definitely mutants, NOT zombies, and the title surely has nothing at all to do with the fact that the film was originally released with the title Night Shadows before the producers realized that sounded a little more “shade of mascara at Hot Topic” than “horror movie.”

Wings Hauser, Wings Hauser’s brother, and Wings Hauser’s giant face are prototypical 80s yuppies (translation: they’re jerks and their shorts are way too short). To escape the stress of life in “Capital City” they take a road trip and wind up stranded in a sleepy Southern town infested with violent hillbillies, a drunk sheriff, and some good old down-home toxic waste. Something is mutanty in zombietown, and our heroes suspect a conspiracy that goes to the top of a local terrifyingly powerful mega-corporation (translation: a few guys in a barn with a hose and a hole in the ground).

Join Mike, Kevin, and Bill for this classic 80s tale of snobs vs. slobs who are mutants who are zombies, Mutant!

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Loving how they seem to be transitioning to these full time VOD's.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Mutant is a movie so bad I have no memory of ever watching it outside of one line from the first five minutes of the movie. This should be a good one.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
There's a new short, "Dinosaurs: The Age of the Terrible Lizard".

This happens:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
It's been forever since I got a Rifftrax, what's with the VOD stuff, does that mean it's an MST thing where it's so old/abandoned they can just sell the movie with the trax on it to download?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Glitterbomber posted:

It's been forever since I got a Rifftrax, what's with the VOD stuff, does that mean it's an MST thing where it's so old/abandoned they can just sell the movie with the trax on it to download?

It's either public domain or incredibly cheap to license.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mister Kingdom posted:

Awesome, it's easy to do and all but I always gotta like when I can get the movie and riff in one package, I'll have to check out what they have.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Mister Kingdom posted:

Yeah, I noticed the older Rifftrax for Trolls 2 (with Lowtax) got added as a VoD a year or two ago. Probably was easy to licenese the rights to include the movie.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Glitterbomber posted:

Awesome, it's easy to do and all but I always gotta like when I can get the movie and riff in one package, I'll have to check out what they have.

I like this too. Plus I almost prefer it to them putting out a riff to something like Inception or Memento

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mister Kingdom posted:

There's a new short, "Dinosaurs: The Age of the Terrible Lizard".

This happens:

Just in case anyone wants to know "hey, what the gently caress"? That was an animated short from Soviet Bloc Poland that Encyclopedia Britannica's film division redubbed because I guess there weren't enough bizarre American shorts for them to release.

Also check out the completely inaccurate depictions of sauropod dinosaurs as being aquatic creatures! And listing Brontosaurus as a legitimate genus!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Spider-man 3 (Mike Nelson and some guy)

Sandman: "I've done some things I regret."

Mike: "I laughed at the trailer for Meet Dave."

(Bill Corbett SUPER SLAM)

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Tony Danza Claus posted:

Spider-man 3 (Mike Nelson and some guy)

Sandman: "I've done some things I regret."

Mike: "I laughed at the trailer for Meet Dave."

(Bill Corbett SUPER SLAM)

They slam Meet Dave all the time, with Corbett in the booth.

Good.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Mutant is out, along with a sample. Looks great.
http://youtu.be/AXxZnKuJCvM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molothecat
Jul 25, 2007

Wrath, hate, pain, and death!

Anyone's else's download taking a ludicrous amount of time? 3+ hours?

It was a poo poo day at work I neeeeeeeed this Rifftrax tonight!

• Locked thread