Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

That whole "Unlucky 13th" theme for this year's anniversary is highly appropriate for the game stability nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt Froggy
Mar 22, 2012
Sounds to me like the fippy upgrade was even worse than usual. Good thing I have been far to busy to play lately or I might be frustrated. Then again I had hoped to get my rogue up to 60 in the morning. Just so boring running the nests in blackfeather.

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005

Sgt Froggy posted:

Sounds to me like the fippy upgrade was even worse than usual. Good thing I have been far to busy to play lately or I might be frustrated. Then again I had hoped to get my rogue up to 60 in the morning. Just so boring running the nests in blackfeather.

At that level its all about the Hole. Why are you not in the Hole?

Riteik
Dec 18, 2001

Are rangers real dps now a days? The last time I played seriously was back in planes of power where we took rangers just cause they filled up slots. All I see about them is talking about headshot.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Rangers are very good dps, especially for a class with so much utility. Being a hybrid class, the AA/gear investment to put out dps at high levels is pretty big though.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
Awesome OP (35 pages later...). EQ was my first MMORPG - I played from 1999 to 2002 or so. No game has really compared since and I only played EQ2 for a year and a half because of nostalgia.

Im thinking of going back to this. I wish I could even remember my account name from so long ago.

Is there a good place for a condensed synopsis of the background for all the expansions and what they add?

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
Double EXP in the following zones until tomorrow night 3AM PST...

quote:

There’s little better than a weekday surprise, and we’ve decided to bring you a little weekday Double Experience action! It’s available in just a few select zones, so make sure to get in on the party while it lasts!

From now until Wednesday, May 9, 2012 at 3:00 am Pacific* all players will receive Double Experience in the following zones:

* Kaesora
* Sebilis
* The Buried Sea
* Fortress Mechanotus
* The Grounds

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?topic_id=186323

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Kudaros posted:

Is there a good place for a condensed synopsis of the background for all the expansions and what they add?

Starting from the "Lost Dungeons of Norrath" entry, this page seems pretty detailed:

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/eq:expansions

You can also check out Wikipedia's pages for each of the expansions.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Just built my new powerhouse computer (I5, 8gb of RAM, SSD)...I think I'll do my annual nostalgia trip through EQ...though I suspect the loading screens will still take just as long, despite the computer. :)

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand

Medullah posted:

Just built my new powerhouse computer (I5, 8gb of RAM, SSD)...I think I'll do my annual nostalgia trip through EQ...though I suspect the loading screens will still take just as long, despite the computer. :)

I doubt it. I'm playing on a years old laptop and the load times are negligible to be honest. Not like the old days when I'd get kicked and have to wait about 8 minutes just to get back in.

I camped this item Wand of Imperceptibility the other day because I like daft things like that. Does anyone know of any other fun items that'd be easy for a 74 necro to get these days? Doesn't have to be awesome, just something to break up the grind to go get.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

How long did it take you to camp the shrink wand? I remember spending days there on my monk before I gave up and just went to PoM and got one off of Bristlebane on my first try.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Medullah posted:

GOTCHA

want to fix loading screens? Check this out:

Go to options, graphics, advanced. Set Memory Mode to Least Memory Usage.

Then send Ubuh a tell in-game, you jerkface

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

If you know some 90-95ish people, you can get a TA to the 13th mission Rumor Has It at level 80 and get the .5s cast shrink bracer Ring of the Ancients ( http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=103710 ), it's also a decent item to wear at 80. The task reward is about 8aa at 500aa, too.

I got a shrink wand on my sk by AFKing at the spawn point with a warrior merc and an audio trigger on the name of the mob. Actually, I've used that for camping trivial things quite a few times.

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand

RCarr posted:

How long did it take you to camp the shrink wand? I remember spending days there on my monk before I gave up and just went to PoM and got one off of Bristlebane on my first try.

It took one night (about 2 hours) and the next day (about 6 hours). I wasn't really playing the whole time. In fact, there were several times when I came back to the screen and there were dead mobs in front of me so someone was logging in and caning the spawn and then logging out but we never met. Luckily I was lower level then and actually got about 12aa from this very low blue poo poo.

jetz0r posted:

I got a shrink wand on my sk by AFKing at the spawn point with a warrior merc and an audio trigger on the name of the mob. Actually, I've used that for camping trivial things quite a few times.

Audio triggers own. If you go to http://public.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php then you can type what you want and then download it to your eq folder and I get poo poo like "root dropped" when, well, root drops and "darkness dropped" and "FAIL" when FD fucks up. Invaluable poo poo.

fake edit: AB has been unable to connect for about 2 hours now and it still shows Up but noone is freaking out about it so maybe its just me. Luckily I wasn't playing tonight anyway.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
LoN scenario wasn't too bad. Basically just do the first 2-3 parts of the tutorial to know what the gently caress is going on.

I used a default deck, the trick was just not engaging the spider or his minions at all and using all my units as throwaway meatshields while I beat him to all the quests.

His level 2 quest kills every enemy card on that side, so you can use that as kind of a reset halfway through when he gets too many cards. Also, he tends to stack almost all his units on one side. let him. I made the mistake of deploying units on the other side (due to a free deploy card reward from the quest) and that always caused him to split his forces and cause a loss.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Tolain posted:

LoN scenario wasn't too bad. Basically just do the first 2-3 parts of the tutorial to know what the gently caress is going on.

I used a default deck, the trick was just not engaging the spider or his minions at all and using all my units as throwaway meatshields while I beat him to all the quests.

His level 2 quest kills every enemy card on that side, so you can use that as kind of a reset halfway through when he gets too many cards. Also, he tends to stack almost all his units on one side. let him. I made the mistake of deploying units on the other side (due to a free deploy card reward from the quest) and that always caused him to split his forces and cause a loss.

This is true. There are also all kinds of funky things you can do. There's some vah shir card that exits combat and switches quests whenever it takes a damage point. You can put that against the 50 enemies he has stacked on one side and essentially nullify a turn easily.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Rapacity posted:

Does anyone know of any other fun items that'd be easy for a 74 necro to get these days? Doesn't have to be awesome, just something to break up the grind to go get.

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?item=8933

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Tolain posted:

This is exactly what I did. I won with one hit point remaining. That seems pretty cheesy, I guess I'm too used to Magic where you have abilities like Trample.

Sgt Froggy
Mar 22, 2012

Peechka posted:

At that level its all about the Hole. Why are you not in the Hole?

Ive been avoiding it due to how over crowded it always is. And I dont have very good pull options with sham rogue combo. I tried using a pet as a boomerang but he got wiped out before the pull finished with quint running on it. But that was many levels ago (woth the sham) so might go better.
That and/or I might just be bad.

Been thinking I might try greig's.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

^^ If you have a Tank and Cleric merc in your group, you can pretty much do whatever and let them carry you.

Node posted:

This is exactly what I did. I won with one hit point remaining. That seems pretty cheesy, I guess I'm too used to Magic where you have abilities like Trample.

I'm too used to Magic, where the game isn't terrible.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

Sgt Froggy posted:

Been thinking I might try greig's.

Greig's is a great zone. Single pulls all over the place and fairly low HP on mobs. It can get crowded at times, but its such a big, open zone that you shouldn't have too much trouble.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
So even though I played a troll shadow knight 11-12 years ago when I last played this, I still had a blast. drat that xp penalty for being an utterly useless hybrid though. It was amazing how I was so gimped compared to other classes yet had a monster xp penalty. Still some of the most unfair game design I have ever endured. Oh man, level 9 necro spells when I'm level 29! So useful having this 20 hp pet and 20hp lifetap right now! I'll gladly earn 65% more xp for this privilege! Good to see these days shadow knights are useful.

Since there seems to be a great presence, I'm thinking of starting up on the goon server as one of the cool dude caster classes I used to see dominating while I was suffering my troll sk. Thinking about either a Necro or a magician because I want a caster with a pet.

I like the Necro because he's a cooler theme, has feign death, more utility spells, and can solo great. I like the mage because dd spells seem cool and their pets are super strong so I figure they solo good as well. I can't decide but I'm leaning Necro just because I always was jealous of those bastards who could turn into a skeleton and poo poo when I was a kid. Plus they just look cool all decked out with class themed Necro looking stuff, the spells seem more fun, and feign death rules.

Anyway from what it sounds like these days I could have them both up to 60 by the time it took me to get my old troll up to 15 so I guess it doesn't matter, but I could use some opinions. Which is more fun to play?

Keep in mind a lot of what I want to do is go around a see the old game poo poo I never got to. It's a long term goal but I'd really like to check out stuff from way early I missed out on seeing as I only ever got my troll sk up to like 44 or whatever the insane hell level was around there (those are gone now, right?). Don't know if that makes a difference.

Damo fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 9, 2012

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
Honestly, you could easily play both and have a tank merc + cleric merc and do whatever the hell you want.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
I dunno if I'm a bad enough dude to 2box. Don't know anything about the process nor do I have the patience to learn right now, and I'm not that good at this poo poo nor that invested. Especially with the Mercs now, it seems like 1 character will be enough for me to focus on. God knows there's enough gear to horde for one class let alone two. I don't know that I need to play this that seriously. It'll be enough challenge to try to get into this again let alone multitasking 2 dudes when I don't even have the chops to play one.

Damo fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 9, 2012

Creative Bicycle
Apr 19, 2001

I have a hole!

Damo posted:

Since there seems to be a great presence, I'm thinking of starting up on the goon server as one of the cool dude caster classes I used to see dominating while I was suffering my troll sk. Thinking about either a Necro or a magician because I want a caster with a pet.

Not that it really matters one bit in the grand scheme of things, but we have quite a few mages in the guild right now, but not many necros (mostly mentioning this in case you want to feel like a more special snowflake). Also, comedy answer for caster pet class (and to be the specialest snowflake!): enchanter!

EDIT: Also, 2 boxing is very, very easy if you want it to be. Just do something simple like a rogue, war, or monk and your caster. Every pull put the melee on autoattack and press butan on caster until thing is dead. Having a tank and healer merc while 2 boxing literally lets you do almost anything by yourself if you want to.

Creative Bicycle fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 9, 2012

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006
My suggestion for you would be to start a solo necro, get a tank merc, and get used to how the game has changed. You can easily add in a mage later on if you decide to. With defiant gear, and all the spells on an npc vendor in PoK, you'll find the game much easier than you used to.

EQ is one of the easiest games to box in due to their in game macro system. It allows you to use the command /pause x where x is the time it waits to execute the next command. This allows you to assist the tank, send your pet in, and dot the mob all in one button press. You can also hotkey all your buffs and pretty much get everything you need to do down to 3 or 4 hotkeys easily. Once you get to the point where you have the necro hotkeyed like you want is when you should decide if you want a mage box or not. For me, with how easy it is to macro characters in game it's kinda boring only playing one class now, and for me this especially goes for casters.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

I Love You! posted:

GOTCHA

want to fix loading screens? Check this out:

Go to options, graphics, advanced. Set Memory Mode to Least Memory Usage.

Then send Ubuh a tell in-game, you jerkface

Haha...probably not playing anytime soon, I'm currently hooked on Star Wars. But I see less and less people playing it, and more and more coming back to EQ...crazy...

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Boxing isn't for everyone. But the benefits of it are unquestionable. You will be able to single-man things you never could before. Power level your own toons..etc

The hidden cost of boxing is that you lose out on grouping with friends a lot, especially if you box 3-6. And the added burden (leveling/AAs, equipment, spells, micro-management) in an already burdensome game is somewhat significant.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
I have a boxing question...

This morning Rank and Brogyun(My SK/Mage pair) were slaughtering sporelings and my SK took some agro from the tank. The cleric merc completely ignored my SK and let him die. The cleric was healing the merc tank, but was racist towards my guktan sk.

Any reason why a cleric merc would ignore a group member in distress if there was plenty of mana available?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Keith Stone posted:

This morning Rank and Brogyun(My SK/Mage pair) were slaughtering sporelings and my SK took some agro from the tank. The cleric merc completely ignored my SK and let him die. The cleric was healing the merc tank, but was racist towards my guktan sk.

Any reason why a cleric merc would ignore a group member in distress if there was plenty of mana available?

What rank of merc? They're stupid to begin with but the younger ones are next to useless.

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...

Hexel posted:

What rank of merc? They're stupid to begin with but the younger ones are next to useless.

Journeyman 1(lol female)

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Keith Stone posted:

The other races don't really give a poo poo about them, which is why when the trolls kicked them back out of Grobb, the collective response was "here's some tents or whatever, go live in the Rathe mountains" and not "We're with you, let's go get your city back!"

But, in regard to the actual question, maybe your SK was marked as puller and wasn't close enough to the other party members. Unfortunately, sometimes the cleric mercs just act retarded too, and won't heal.

Bahanahab
Apr 13, 2006

meat gnome posted:

marked as puller and wasn't close enough to the other party members.

This is usually where nearly all my issues from mercs come from.

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda
There's been an ongoing bug with mercs + Puller role since they were first introduced. Every now and then, mercs belonging to someone marked Puller go full retard and wander off to a random part of the zone. I've had enough wipes due to it that I never, ever let the puller use a tank or healer merc.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
edit: Nevermind figured out my problem.

I'm Boondibis on Luclin. Level 1 DE Necro scrub. Hopefully see some of you guys around.

Damo fucked around with this message at 23:08 on May 9, 2012

Peechka
Nov 10, 2005
Some good changes coming. First it was mentioned by a dev on the forums that skillups will be adjusted to be more reasonable with todays leveling skills.

And then this gem....

quote:

OK.. so I'm going to be updating the AA XP bonus for the June patch. The bonus will now end at 4000 AA instead of the current 2500. Additionally, the initial bonus for the bottom end will be significantly increased. I haven't decided the actual bonus amount changes yet, but it will be larger than the current 500%.

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts/list.m?start=75&topic_id=186223#2804407

Wask
May 2, 2003
I punch midgets for fun

Peechka posted:

Some good changes coming. First it was mentioned by a dev on the forums that skillups will be adjusted to be more reasonable with todays leveling skills.

And then this gem....
That's one way to try and fight Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2 player attrition!

So it looks like the revamped zones like Blackburrow are opening up very soon. Is there anything exciting that are must gets like augs or clickies?

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
Holy crap, I'm level 3 in the freaking tutorial and I have an awesome merc which basically kills things for me and just ended up with some defiant plate and it sold for 1 plat 2 gold :stare:

It took me at least a month or something crazy to put together my first plat when I played last (up to kunark).

Looks like I'll never need to struggle for money to buy my spells like I used to. Man I can't believe how much easier they've made it. Between the merc, defiant armor drops, quest log, maps, etc...It's awesome to see how less sadistic the game is after a 11 year break. I'm loving it! Almost feels like cheating.

Damo fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 10, 2012

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
I like your enthusiasm but your avatar is loving horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

Offensive Clock
I've been meaning to change it for years now anyway. When I got it I just picked the only avatar sized picture I had and the first text I thought of. Never was funny, and throwing the word bitch around like that is sexist and not reflective of who I am. I'm glad you called me out on it so I got the gumption to change it finally, so thanks for that.

Anyway, better? I'm having a great time leveling up my necro. Skipped over the first level pet spell because shits going by so fast, but I just dinged to 4 and got some leering corpse action going :c00lbutt:. I also got a defiant drop again, some leather shoes. Looks like plat to me!

Damo fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 10, 2012