Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

an skeleton posted:

basically this would be easier if I could just make the constructor ask for these values as a cin, but for some reason my professor has it like this in the main and I don't know, it seems like a mistake but I pointed right to it and asked if thats how its supposed to be/can we change it and he said no its correct.

Do we know what the format on stdin is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Suspicious Dish posted:

Do we know what the format on stdin is?

No?

also, is anyone out there is listening, how do I add an integer to a class, such as "class = class + 4"?

an skeleton fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 9, 2012

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

an skeleton posted:

No?

Then I'm not sure how you're supposed to write a method that takes a point on stdin. There's no established format.

an skeleton posted:

also, is anyone out there is listening, how do I add an integer to a class, such as "class = class + 4"?

Well, let's get this straight. You're adding an integer not to a class, but to an instance or object. You need to define an operator+(int offset);. I don't know what adding a number to a point or to a line may do.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

w00tz0r posted:

That said, we have terrible infrastructure and practices, and I need to get out of this place.

Holy crap man, I feel your pain. Just wait for the time when he breaks the unit tests, and instead of fixing them, he just add @ignore to every test harness he breaks.

Ask me how I know he will do that...:sigh: wait, don't.

an skeleton posted:

No?

Wait, is that code that your teacher wrote?

Did he give you any kind of specification for the assignment? Like Suspicious Dish said, there isn't anyway to tell what adding an integer to a point is supposed to do.

Edit:

an skeleton posted:

Well I need cin to take in an X and a Y value to create a "point" (x,y) I guess.

code:

int x,y;
cin >> x;
cin >> y; 
pointCls userpoint(x,y);
That doesn't do any error handing, but it should suffice for your purposes.

oRenj9 fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 9, 2012

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
My understanding is that that code is provided, and he's supposed to implement operators on pointCls and lineCls so that it actually works.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Jabor posted:

My understanding is that that code is provided, and he's supposed to implement operators on pointCls and lineCls so that it actually works.

Yeah, sounds like that's the assignment. "Make this code work."
It would be nice having an actual specification on what it's supposed to do, but well, it's up to an skeleton to write a solution.

an skeleton: You should probably go read up on operator overloading, how to declare them, conventions for implementing them and what the various ones do. Here's a link, C++ FAQ Lite on operator overloading.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
Yeah, it was definitely the operator overloading thing, something I apparently did not pick up on. Did not know/realize you could overload operators. Thanks for all the responses!

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

w00tz0r posted:

We're going the other way at my shop - my lead was refusing to agree to let me put unit tests or stuff like Doxygen in because "I commit a lot and I don't want to have to run tests or extract documentation every time." I put all of our software into Jenkins, all of that stuff happens behind the scenes now, and he's got no arguments on those fronts left.

That said, we have terrible infrastructure and practices, and I need to get out of this place.

Jenkins! :swoon:

Yeah, I should've mentioned that my way works best when you're the gatekeeper. If you're fighting against everyone else, all bets are off. One of my previous jobs was much the same - zero tests, zero documentation, and a fierce resistance to improve. I could barely get people to use the Redmine install I set up... everyone just wanted to keep emailing bug reports from developer to developer :suicide:

bcrules82
Mar 27, 2003
Simple Linux shell question.

How do I get the lsf history of a job in a multi-line non-truncated format?

'-l' automatically truncates, and doesn't work in conjunction with '-w'

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
How do you guys generally write regex?

For one-time use, I just do whatever. I'll write a 50 character regex where I don't remember what the 1st 10 characters do after finishing the last 15

For longer use / group use, I split them with comments.
//Cut off Leading and Trailing
func("/^ +(.*) +$", "$1")
//Check for and remove companyName
func("(.*)" + myCompany + "(.*)", "$1$2")

My coworker says that's sacrificing too much speed for the sake of readability. Is there really a large performance downgrade from using multiple smaller regex?
edit: language agnostic here, I'm just talking about in general

MeruFM fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 9, 2012

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

bcrules82 posted:

Simple Linux shell question.

How do I get the lsf history of a job in a multi-line non-truncated format?

'-l' automatically truncates, and doesn't work in conjunction with '-w'

That's an lsf question, not a linux question; saying what software and command you're asking about would help a lot.

Based on some googling I'd guess you're talking about the bhist command from the Load Sharing Facility, but that doesn't have a -w option at all and -l wraps rather than truncating, so I've got nothing. What are you asking about?

bcrules82
Mar 27, 2003

ToxicFrog posted:

That's an lsf question, not a linux question; saying what software and command you're asking about would help a lot.

Based on some googling I'd guess you're talking about the bhist command from the Load Sharing Facility, but that doesn't have a -w option at all and -l wraps rather than truncating, so I've got nothing. What are you asking about?

i was referring to both bjobs and bhist .
in all the manpages i've looked at (google & on my system) both have options for -w & -l.

i was under the belief that lsf & related utilities were part of most standard Linux distributions, and tends to be used universally.

anyways, i was trying to parse some information from its output, but the truncated lines are a real nuisance.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

MeruFM posted:

How do you guys generally write regex?

For one-time use, I just do whatever. I'll write a 50 character regex where I don't remember what the 1st 10 characters do after finishing the last 15

For longer use / group use, I split them with comments.
//Cut off Leading and Trailing
func("/^ +(.*) +$", "$1")
//Check for and remove companyName
func("(.*)" + myCompany + "(.*)", "$1$2")

My coworker says that's sacrificing too much speed for the sake of readability. Is there really a large performance downgrade from using multiple smaller regex?
edit: language agnostic here, I'm just talking about in general

I know you said "language agnostic" but there are some engines that have a flag that tells the regex string itself to ignore whitespace so you can just put the thing on multiple lines and comment it inline. That's probably the best way to go if you have the option.

e: also, unless your coworker has actually profiled anything, (s)he's an idiot.

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

GrumpyDoctor posted:

e: also, unless your coworker has actually profiled anything, (s)he's an idiot.

Corollary: even if they have profiled it, they're still an idiot.

I do it the way you do - just remember, CPU cycles are less valuable than the brain cycles the next programmer will use to decipher the massive regex you wrote before you left for a better job.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
My company is trying to set up an OCR system that converts scanned documents into Excel spreadsheets. Often, data points will get lumped into the same cell when they should be in separate columns.

For instance, in the documents I convert in one cell I get:
1,205 Units 02.02.2012

(this means 1,205 units delivered on the 2nd of February)

I need to delete "Units" and shift the date to the column on the write. How would I write a macro to automatically do this?

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
This is a fun one.

I'm making a call to a (supposed) 1.2 SOAP webservice in java. The call is in a lifecycle module in a glassfish 2 domain. I have no control over the service, as it's made by a contracter. Everything works great in the normal flow, but if the service returns a fault (for whatever reason) the service is handling the fault reporting in the 1.1 SOAP style, causing our calling code to throw an exception when it tries to parse out the improperly formatted message. The real fix is for the contractor to fix his poo poo, but in the meantime, I'm tasked at doing a quick fix. Is it possible to process the response (I've got a xsl transform that will put it in the proper format) before the java throws the exception? Maybe with a client side message handler?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

bcrules82 posted:

i was referring to both bjobs and bhist .
in all the manpages i've looked at (google & on my system) both have options for -w & -l.

I must have been looking at an old man page; some googling around turned up a more recent one that lists both -w and -l.

quote:

i was under the belief that lsf & related utilities were part of most standard Linux distributions, and tends to be used universally.

Not at all. It's not installed by default on anything I've used, it's not in the repositories for anything I have handy at the moment, and all of the HPC environments I've worked in used MPI instead.

quote:

anyways, i was trying to parse some information from its output, but the truncated lines are a real nuisance.

You'll have to clarify what you mean by "truncated". I don't have anything with lsf installed handy, but some googling says that the output of bhist -l looks like this:

code:
% bhist -l 1531
Job Id <1531>, User <user1>, Project <default>, Command <example 200>
Fri Dec 27 13:04:14: Submitted from host <hostA> to Queue <priority>, CWD <$HOM
                     E>, Specified Hosts <hostD>;
Fri Dec 27 13:04:19: Dispatched to <hostD>;
Fri Dec 27 13:04:19: Starting (Pid 8920);
Fri Dec 27 13:04:20: Running with execution home </home/user1>, Execution CWD <
                     /home/user1>, Execution Pid <8920>;
Fri Dec 27 13:05:49: Suspended by the user or administrator;
Fri Dec 27 13:05:56: Suspended:  Waiting for re-scheduling after being resumed 
                     by user;
Fri Dec 27 13:05:57: Running;
Fri Dec 27 13:07:52: Done successfully. The CPU time used is 28.3 seconds.
Which is wrapped, but not truncated.

If it's the wrapping you're having trouble with, it probably wouldn't be too hard to write a sed script to unwrap it, or get the terminal to lie about how wide it is (assuming it's using termcap/terminfo and isn't just hard-coded to wrap at 80 cols).

Post/pastebin some sample output?

E: also, check if the language you're using has a library to do this for you; Perl has the LSF module on CPAN, for example.

KUBaNPhillipay
Jul 16, 2004
I apologize if this question has already been asked in this thread a lot but almost 200 pages is a lot to go through! I code C++ at work from time to time and it's the language I'm most familiar with. However most of this coding goes through a front end program so I never have to do any GUI's or windows coding. I really want to branch out into writing a some standalone custom apps for personal use (and maybe game programming if I find some more free time) so I would really like to go about out creating my own custom GUIs and learn the basics of programming in Windows.

Where is the best place to start? The only book I can find that is highly recommended is Charles Petzolds Programming Windows but that is over 10 years old and I'm sure somewhat dated. Is it still the defacto place to start? Should I skip the windows API and learn something like MFC instead? Is Visual Studio required (I'm on a small budget) or can I make do with a free IDE like code blocks.

Keep in mind I'm not trying to do anything too complicated and I'm willing to put in some effort. If I could just get some guidance on where I should start or what different paths are out there I would greatly appreciated it!

KUBaNPhillipay fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 12, 2012

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

KUBaNPhillipay posted:

I apologize if this question has already been asked in this thread a lot but almost 200 pages is a lot to go through! I code C++ at work from time to time and it's the language I'm most familiar with. However most of this coding goes through a front end program so I never have to do any GUI's or windows coding. I really want to branch out into writing a some standalone custom apps for personal use (and maybe game programming if I find some more free time) so I would really like to go about out creating my own custom GUIs and learn the basics of programming in Windows.

Where is the best place to start? The only book I can find that is highly recommended is Charles Petzolds Programming Windows but that is over 10 years old and I'm sure somewhat dated. Is it still the defacto place to start? Should I skip the windows API and learn something like MFC instead? Is Visual Studio required (I'm on a small budget) or can I make do with a free IDE like code blocks.

Saying no to MFC seems to be the wisdom. Petzold's book is a good place to start, if you want to write Win32 apps, and understand the Windows message loop and general fugly Win32 ways of doing things. It's easy to follow. Petzold isn't exactly a good programmer, or at least the part of him that wrote the book isn't, so I wouldn't take some things as a great example for best practices. His book will, however, tell you what's there, how to do it, and what Windows things are made out of, when it comes to GUI programming. I've found it a decent base (being already a C++ programmer) to build other knowledge on top of.

You don't need Visual Studio, but hey, Visual C++ Express is free and useful. (Otherwise you'd use MingW and Code::Blocks? But Visual C++ Express is a good IDE.)

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
If you just want to create some GUI apps, go with Qt. If you want to learn how that stuff worked, and feel the pain and suffering of bygone eras, then try out win32/MFC.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Zhentar posted:

If you just want to create some GUI apps, go with Qt. If you want to learn how that stuff worked, and feel the pain and suffering of bygone eras, then try out win32/MFC.

Qt is certainly practical. That is however at the cost of executable size and it doesn't really matter that much if you're just creating yourself an OpenGL or DirectX context.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
As much as I don't like Microsoft, C# + WPF is pretty much the best GUI system ever.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

KUBaNPhillipay posted:

Where is the best place to start? The only book I can find that is highly recommended is Charles Petzolds Programming Windows but that is over 10 years old and I'm sure somewhat dated. Is it still the defacto place to start?

More like 20 years and probably older.

That can't possibly be how Windows programs are still written, is it?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

KUBaNPhillipay posted:

Keep in mind I'm not trying to do anything too complicated and I'm willing to put in some effort. If I could just get some guidance on where I should start or what different paths are out there I would greatly appreciated it!

If you're willing to learn a new language, try C#. Visual Studio Express is free to use, it makes writing GUIs easy, and C# is a pretty nice language. And if you want to try some game programming later you can look into XNA (also free).

KUBaNPhillipay
Jul 16, 2004

Zhentar posted:

Is QT free (or cheaply obtainable)? Can I use C++ to code all the back end logic? Can you recommend a book for learning it?

Bob Morales posted:

More like 20 years and probably older.

That can't possibly be how Windows programs are still written, is it?

This is what I'm trying to find out. How are most Windows programs developed now a days?

Some of my programs may have to run on older operating systems like Windows 98 or Windows NT computers so I am probably stuck with learning the Windows API no matter what, but for some of the things I am just going to be doing at home it would be nice to find out what the "industry standard" is. (And this is a long ways out but if I wanted to transfer my program to an Android app or whatever where would I start?)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Sinestro posted:

As much as I don't like Microsoft, C# + WPF is pretty much the best GUI system ever.

Having struggled with WPF for the last six months, I still can't stand it. I want to like it but it makes absolutely no sense to me. What made it click for you? And what were you using before that made WPF the best ever?

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
In my experience WPF really shines when you're doing some sort of CRUD application- databinding makes wiring up data structures to datagrids and forms braindead easy. The nested layout components WPF provides seem much more straightforward and inuitive to use than HTML divs/spans or Swing layout managers. Creating animations can get ridiculously complicated, though.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

KUBaNPhillipay posted:

Is QT free (or cheaply obtainable)? Can I use C++ to code all the back end logic? Can you recommend a book for learning it?

It's free under LGPL, pay for even less restrictive commercial licensing. It's a C++ based UI framework, so yes, you can definitely use C++ for the back end logic (although note that the framework uses QString and the Qt Template Library rather than std::string and STL). They've also got good Visual Studio Express integration, in addition to their own IDE.

I can't recommend any books, but they've got pretty good documentation, and I didn't find it particularly hard to just dive into.

As far as ancient Windows version support, some quick googling says that Qt 4.4.3 is compatible with Windows 98, and some later versions may be possible to run with some more effort, if you don't do certain things.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

pokeyman posted:

Having struggled with WPF for the last six months, I still can't stand it. I want to like it but it makes absolutely no sense to me. What made it click for you? And what were you using before that made WPF the best ever?

I went from Python and Qt, so "having an IDE that works" came at the same time, and that may have influenced my thinking.

ShadoX
Oct 4, 2004
There is no W!

pokeyman posted:

Do you understand templates? If not then you're missing a key component of how it works. Until you get templates it will probably feel like a struggle. It's the most beautiful thing to whip up a data template, throw a collection of business objects (or view models) at it, and end up with a nice visual representation.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I went from Windows forms to WPF (from an old ANSI-C MFC background originally) and holy cramolies it is better. You're still wrestling with stuff but I actually feel resentful now when I have to do a non-WPF project.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

I'm applying to a Gamedev college (and the application is entirely portfolio based) in Australia soon, purely because it'll be a fun 2 years, even if it's a fairly corny college (because the best way is usually to do a compsci degree and then just dev games on the side anywho, but I don't have access to a good compsci degree for now, so I'm going here instead, plus it'll be a bit more relaxed). I need to demonstrate to them that I can program for me to get in. It's supposedly fairly easy to get in but I want to give it my all, so I've been thinking of the best thing to demonstrate my ability.

At first I was thinking I'd make a small game, seeing as I've never really finished a game before, I tend to make tons of little engines and prototypes, but no polished products, but that would entail graphics and music more than anything, as games themselves are pretty easily programmed, and I don't have access to graphics or music, plus the fact that they're teaching you how to make games, so I doubt they'd expect you to know how to make them already.

So I've decided to go with a fun Demoscene program, such as this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFCxV5PsusQ

I'm going to make it a little higher quality, and it probably doesn't need to be made with large pixels such as that video (because it's running on modern hardware), but I'm wondering if:

A. Is this the best way to do it? It's certainly the most fun way to do it, and is basically like a portfolio when submitting 3D work or whatnot, but for showing off programming skills. If you think it's not, what better ways are there?
B. If you like this idea, is there any things in specific you would recommend that could be cool to add? So far I've got in mind is a liquid/smoke sim, shadowcasting, lightning, some form of perlin noise based clouds or somesuch, and a rotating ascii cube or somesuch. There's a ton of opportunity here and I'm curious if anyone has any cool ideas.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I know Python, Java, C++, C#, and Lua (Plus some web coding languages, but they're not for games). I'm probably going to be using C++ or Python for this.

Jewel fucked around with this message at 13:26 on May 13, 2012

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Jewel posted:

B. If you like this idea, is there any things in specific you would recommend that could be cool to add? So far I've got in mind is a liquid/smoke sim, shadowcasting, lightning, some form of perlin noise based clouds or somesuch, and a rotating ascii cube or somesuch. There's a ton of opportunity here and I'm curious if anyone has any cool ideas.

I don't know if it's feasible for you, but one thing I would love to see in games in the future would be true procedural sound generation, i.e. sound from objects not based off sampled sound, or only loosely based on samples.
One thing in particular I have in mind for this, I sometimes play Railworks (train simulator), and it severely annoys me how it can be very obvious when it cuts between different samples for different engine speeds. If the sound was instead generated based on what the engine was doing (e.g. some basic modelling of pistons, generators, their movement, used to produce the sound), that could give a more realistic experience.
Something that might be interesting to try for that could be an interactive demo where the user could wave around a tree branch with leaves, and it produces some sound based on the movement and number of leaves on it, moving it faster would produce more swooshing sounds, but would also shake off leaves which would change the sound in later movement.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Jewel posted:

but I don't have access to a good compsci degree for now, so I'm going here instead, plus it'll be a bit more relaxed

:aaaaa:

The answer is to get access to a good comp sci degree instead of wasting your life for two years in some lovely gamedev scam.

There are two benefits to a CompSci degree:

- it teaches you comp sci, puts you together with likeminded students, is challenging
- as a signaling mechanism that you're not some lazy redneck

lovely gamedev programs in the middle of Australia lack both of these. "Good" gamedev programs lack both of these.

I know people. One went to a game dev program in Redmond, WA. He left because most of the other students there were retarded, the CS material was easy, the whole thing was uninteresting and not an education. And that was a game dev program people can recognize by location. I met him in college because living in Troy for four years was a better idea than finishing the gamedev program.

The other has interviewed job applicants a lot. Everybody he saw from a gamedev program was an absolutely lovely candidate definitely not worth hiring, except for one guy who was okay.

Don't go to "gamedev college".

It would be better to go to clown college.

code:
Applicant:    Hi I went to clown college but then thought
              that programming would be cool.

Interviewer:  This could be interesting.
Here's what happens when you go to gamedev school.

code:
Applicant:    Hi I went to a school that exploits children
              that want to work in the lowest paid, least
              happy sector of the non-classified software
              industry and didn't have any better real
              colleges to go to.

Interviewer:  Are you a virgin?

Jewel
May 2, 2009

shrughes posted:

:aaaaa:

The answer is to get access to a good comp sci degree instead of wasting your life for two years in some lovely gamedev scam.

There are two benefits to a CompSci degree:

- it teaches you comp sci, puts you together with likeminded students, is challenging
- as a signaling mechanism that you're not some lazy redneck

lovely gamedev programs in the middle of Australia lack both of these. "Good" gamedev programs lack both of these.

I know people. One went to a game dev program in Redmond, WA. He left because most of the other students there were retarded, the CS material was easy, the whole thing was uninteresting and not an education. And that was a game dev program people can recognize by location. I met him in college because living in Troy for four years was a better idea than finishing the gamedev program.

The other has interviewed job applicants a lot. Everybody he saw from a gamedev program was an absolutely lovely candidate definitely not worth hiring, except for one guy who was okay.

Don't go to "gamedev college".

It would be better to go to clown college.

code:
Applicant:    Hi I went to clown college but then thought
              that programming would be cool.

Interviewer:  This could be interesting.
Here's what happens when you go to gamedev school.

code:
Applicant:    Hi I went to a school that exploits children
              that want to work in the lowest paid, least
              happy sector of the non-classified software
              industry and didn't have any better real
              colleges to go to.

Interviewer:  Are you a virgin?

I'm incredibly poor and would rather continue to get paid for study for another 2 years while I look for a job rather than be unemployed.

The AIE has been around since I was a kid, and they have a 95% employment rate within 3 months after it's over. I don't care if that 95% includes terrible jobs, any job is better than none. I don't expect to get good credentials out of this either, I expect to have two years of my life where I don't have to stress out about money, and can do something I enjoy.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Jewel posted:

any job is better than none.

Oh man... Prepare to be disillusioned soon, then.

There are legitimate gamedev colleges out there, but if you want a CS education, go to a CS school. If you don't want a CS education, to be absolutely honest you're better off either getting a major in something else if you want the college experience, or just starting to apply to regular development jobs. If you have a decent portfolio, can adequately communicate ideas, and seem competent all around, a degree is rarely a showstopper.

Maybe press your luck and get an internship with a major or local software development company or maybe even a game studio. Sometimes getting your foot in the industry is all you need.

Oh, and also, "I don't have money to go to a big school" isn't really a good reason for anything. Scholarships don't require a lot of effort to get, and sometimes just making an appointment with the school's finance department to talk with them about what you can afford is enough effort to them to get you on a special budget. They want to enroll you into their school over others, and finance is usually the first barrier they remove.

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Suspicious Dish posted:

"I don't have money to go to a big school" isn't really a good reason for anything.

Especially in Australia where the government will pay you money to study and tuition is cheap and able to be deferred until you start earning money with effectively 0% interest!

Johnny Cache Hit
Oct 17, 2011

Jewel posted:

I don't expect to get good credentials out of this either, I expect to have two years of my life where I don't have to stress out about money, and can do something I enjoy.

What's wrong with the traditional blow-off year of backpacking through Europe :confused:

tbh you'd get so much more out of that than you would from going to a lovely game dev "college".

coaxmetal
Oct 21, 2010

I flamed me own dad
speaking of degrees, I just graduated with a BS in comp sci and am working fulltime as a dev for the Financial dept of my University. Im planning to be here through the end of the year, but after that it's either go for a masters or just try to get a job somewhere in the Bay.

Anyone know if getting a masters would be useful at all? I'm guessing "not really", but what about if I wanted to end up doing research (for a private company, not in academia).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
Not really.

Well, what kind of research?