Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revolucion
Nov 2, 2004
removed.

Revolucion fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Revolucion posted:

Mt Direction, ANZAC Day
I recognized this as a Revolucion photo before I saw who posted. Very cool.

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
Welp, this is probably my last set of aerial landscapes from this country. Until my next vacation, anyways.

This is the road to the cursed Earth, where retired judges go on the Long Walk:

I think this is 2 or 3 layers of old houses that have been blown away over a zillion years:

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I'll be sad to not see any more, but glad that you'll be out of there!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Rediscovered an old (1 year ago, old) negative which turned out to be quite pleasing actually. For some reason I skipped this when first going through the pictures taken that day.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Probably stretching the definition of landscape a bit, but here goes:

Amiens by hookshot88, on Flickr

ANZAC Day 2012 by hookshot88, on Flickr

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!
I've never done landscapes before. I think I should invest in a tripod and some ND filters if I want to go to the next level.

The rest of the set is on Flickr and there are three panoramas in our panorama thread :)

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Clown posted:

I've never done landscapes before. I think I should invest in a tripod and some ND filters if I want to go to the next level.

If you are looking at equalizing the exposure between your foreground and sky you can get some pretty comparable results using a tripod and doing two shots, one exposing for foreground and one exposing for sky, and blending together using layer masks in photoshop. The advantage is you don't have to worry about your ND filter crossing across objects that protrude into the sky.

edit: If you shot RAW you could probably bring back a good amount of detail and contrast in the mountains and sky using the process Ambihelical Hexnut described a page or so back.

I believe both of these shots used this technique, just as an example.

20111213-20111213-_MG_2749.jpg by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Haleakala Crater At Sunrise by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 7, 2012

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
I've been actually trying some post-production and exposure blending in particular, but I still am not getting the light to look realistic. No doubt I just need better painting skill and more experience, but one thing I still don't get is how to get the foreground to be as bright as it should be without blowing it out. This time I went out and took like ten exposures in steps of 0.3 EV just to check and whenever the foreground is light enough, it's washed out. Am I missing something?

These two I think I did all right on, and only because the horizon is not complex:

Minnesota River Zoom on Flickr

Shakopee on Flickr

vote_no fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 8, 2012

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
wow, there's been some great stuff posted in here in the last couple of pages, I'm really impressed.

I just took a trip to Zion NP for the first time last week. I was starting to work through processing the photos from the trip but somehow the folder is now corrupted in Win7... I've got to figure out if I can recover or I'm going to be really bummed out. Somehow Lightroom can reference all but maybe 10-20 photos in the folder so hopefully I can at least do a bulk export to save the majority of them.

I've been following a lot of landscape photographers on Google+ to get some inspiration as well, not sure if many of you are on G+ but it seems like there's a really vibrant photographer's scene going. I'm actually thinking about taking a workshop from this guy at some point in the future: http://goldpaintphotography.com/

Also looking for a used 16-35mm f/2.8 to pick up, the 24mm f/1.4 just isn't wide enough for most of the hiking trips I've been taking, I can always stitch but it's easier just to get the right composition in a single frame.

What would you guys say is the single most useful lens in your camera bag for landscapes?

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

MMD3 posted:

wow, there's been some great stuff posted in here in the last couple of pages, I'm really impressed.

I just took a trip to Zion NP for the first time last week. I was starting to work through processing the photos from the trip but somehow the folder is now corrupted in Win7... I've got to figure out if I can recover or I'm going to be really bummed out. Somehow Lightroom can reference all but maybe 10-20 photos in the folder so hopefully I can at least do a bulk export to save the majority of them.

I've been following a lot of landscape photographers on Google+ to get some inspiration as well, not sure if many of you are on G+ but it seems like there's a really vibrant photographer's scene going. I'm actually thinking about taking a workshop from this guy at some point in the future: http://goldpaintphotography.com/

Also looking for a used 16-35mm f/2.8 to pick up, the 24mm f/1.4 just isn't wide enough for most of the hiking trips I've been taking, I can always stitch but it's easier just to get the right composition in a single frame.

What would you guys say is the single most useful lens in your camera bag for landscapes?

My Sigma 10-20 for sure. That said in an ideal world I would replace it with a D800 and a 14-24 2.8...

Edit: do you still have your zion pictures on a memory card or have you shot more photos on the same card since? Maybe you could recover them from there?

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."
Sigma 10-20/4-5.6. Good price and solid lens.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

scottch posted:

Sigma 10-20/4-5.6. Good price and solid lens.

Yep that's the one I have. It is far from perfect but gets the job done.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
unfortunately since most of the stuff I do when I'm not shooting landscapes on hikes is very low-light concert/event type stuff that lens will cut it for me :( also I'd love to get into star trail photography when I'm camping and I'll need the f/2.8 for that as well.

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
There's the Tokina 11-16/2.8, which is quite a bit wider than the 16-35 if you really want something ultra wide.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

MMD3 posted:

I own both a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and the Sigma 10-20mm (the variable aperture one). I've been surprised how little I use the 10-20mm for landscapes and I've actually been very close to selling it on several occasions. I've been unimpressed by the sharpness and contrast, but of course I've been comparing it to the Tamron which is very sharp. I'm too lazy to remote into my desktop and check my lightroom stats, but I'd say I probably use the Tamron 90% of the time and the Sigma 10% of the time. It is nice to be able to go wide occasionally, but I noticed I used it as a crutch and wound up with less interesting compositions way too often.

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

Queenstown by Paul.Simpson, on Flickr

Branches by Paul.Simpson, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Those are totally rad.

How did you do the top one? The cars are streaking, but the boat+smoke is mostly frozen? Multiple exposures?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

MMD3 posted:

135mm is my most used landscape focal length, but I'm weird.

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force

xzzy posted:

How did you do the top one? The cars are streaking, but the boat+smoke is mostly frozen? Multiple exposures?

I'm also curious about this. It's a really awesome shot.

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

xzzy posted:

Those are totally rad.

Yeah multiple exposures. The boat is actually a little blurred which is a shame.

MMD3 posted:

17-40mm for me, mostly used in the 24-28mm range.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
This thread makes me really want a wide angle lens. Anyways, here's a few that I think count as landscapes. I'm going through a phase right now with the processing, hopefully it doesn't make these photos boring like my wife tells me it does...

DSC00788 by Large Hadron, on Flickr

DSC00718_a by Large Hadron, on Flickr

DSC00774 by Large Hadron, on Flickr

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

found some film from this year's hogmanay trip up north the other day.

000021.jpg by pimvanoerle, on Flickr

000010.jpg by pimvanoerle, on Flickr

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I found a McKinley yesterday.

And this one was with the NEX-7 using that sweet fuckin' Sweep Panorama feature. The embiggened version of it is unreal.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unfortunately flickr shrunk it down to 1024 pixels in width.

That's a pretty sweet angle though. I've only seen the mountain from the ground.. sort of. The peak was buried in clouds. :smith:

What were you flying around up there for?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

xzzy posted:

Unfortunately flickr shrunk it down to 1024 pixels in width.

That's a pretty sweet angle though. I've only seen the mountain from the ground.. sort of. The peak was buried in clouds. :smith:

What were you flying around up there for?

The USAF can carve out most of the Alaskan airspace for whatever reason. We rarely use the space above/around McKinley operationally but mostly for making up flight hours on the tail end of a sortie or for dude's final flights in the jet.

And just for fun here is the peak 4,000 feet above it.

Click for embiggened

bloops fucked around with this message at 02:25 on May 10, 2012

scottch
Oct 18, 2003

pim01 posted:

found some film from this year's hogmanay trip up north the other day.

000021.jpg by pimvanoerle, on Flickr

000010.jpg by pimvanoerle, on Flickr

These are really nice. I know that weather too well.

DSC_5489.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DSC_5542.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DSC_5549.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

DSC_5581-Edit.jpg by scottch, on Flickr

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Posted these in PAD but figure they'd apply here as well.

Stechelberg by Cacator, on Flickr

Alps by Cacator, on Flickr

Artistically Placed Tree by Cacator, on Flickr

Don't know if this last one counts:

Staubbach Falls by Cacator, on Flickr

Cacator fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 12, 2012

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.
Hell yeah, they do.

Clown
Mar 4, 2004
Rent this space!

BeastOfExmoor posted:

If you are looking at equalizing the exposure between your foreground and sky you can get some pretty comparable results using a tripod and doing two shots, one exposing for foreground and one exposing for sky, and blending together using layer masks in photoshop. The advantage is you don't have to worry about your ND filter crossing across objects that protrude into the sky.

edit: If you shot RAW you could probably bring back a good amount of detail and contrast in the mountains and sky using the process Ambihelical Hexnut described a page or so back.

I believe both of these shots used this technique, just as an example.
Hi, thanks for the tips. I should probably invest in Adobe Photoshop too! I do shoot in RAW and I tried pressing buttons in Photomatix but they were horrible and made me want to punch my monitor.

I do have Lightroom so I've been playing around with the gradient tool. How is this?

Lake Bala. by Clwn, on Flickr

My only problem is that it comes out like a painting now but it might be Hugin messing with me. I thought it was cool enough to keep anyway :)

slothmeister
May 25, 2011
Last nights sunset and first time using the Sigma 10-20mm

Milford Sunset by Adam Bolwell, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

The farmers ploughing their fields make for some scenic pictures:

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

InternetJunky posted:

The farmers ploughing their fields make for some scenic pictures:

This is awesome

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005

Cacator posted:

Can you post the full size pics of those? They are great and I want to use them as wallpapers on my ipad.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Cacator posted:

Alps by Cacator, on Flickr

These are beautiful!

GAHHHH, I love Switzerland SO SO much... Lauterbrunnen Valley is amazing.

Here's one of mine from Murren a few years back. I have to get back there soon.

and another from the train from Murren to Winteregg

I should probably reprocess them soon, it's been a long time and they definitely look like they could use some improvements to me now.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

This is from a trip to Zion we took a few weeks back, we stopped off at Valley of Fire State Park on the way (where this is).

iPhone photo processed in-phone using the new VSCO app

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

MMD3 posted:

poo poo man there are like 3 or 4 other really good photos encapsulated in this one great picture. This is where having a huge megapixel helps because you can just crop to the other ones. I'd really like to gently caress around with the RAW file.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

MMD3 posted:

These are beautiful!

GAHHHH, I love Switzerland SO SO much... Lauterbrunnen Valley is amazing.

Here's one of mine from Murren a few years back. I have to get back there soon.

and another from the train from Murren to Winteregg

I should probably reprocess them soon, it's been a long time and they definitely look like they could use some improvements to me now.

poo poo, I wish the weather was this nice when I went, especially when going up the Schilthorn, although the picture of the Jungfrau I took wouldn't be nearly as dramatic. (I'm pretty sure it's the Jungfrau).

wizard sticks posted:

Can you post the full size pics of those? They are great and I want to use them as wallpapers on my ipad.
Can you recommend a site to do so? I don't want to enable full size on flickr.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Cacator posted:

poo poo, I wish the weather was this nice when I went, especially when going up the Schilthorn, although the picture of the Jungfrau I took wouldn't be nearly as dramatic. (I'm pretty sure it's the Jungfrau).

Can you recommend a site to do so? I don't want to enable full size on flickr.

imgur.com bro.