Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Rhyno posted:

I'm not a big truck person but I like this styling so much more than the next generation of F150.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone
Had it just over a year now.

Before with not so great looking 18s:

Much better with slice and dice wheels:

L37's are fun!

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
Often times I see people put wheels from newer cars on older rides. But not vice Versa. Those wheels actually work pretty well on your caddy. Albeit they may look a tad small. 18's are stock right?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

KennyLoggins posted:

Much better with slice and dice wheels:

Hell yeah, AI gettin' some class in here.

(with new grill)

The amount of part interchangeability with the '93 STS I had is ridiculous. GM is so unbelievably lazy. On top of that, the build quality is poo poo.

But, I've always liked this body style... welp.

BiRD BoY
Aug 18, 2003

Have a Nice Fright!
Here are two of my rides!

And more of the more expensive, yet, less used ride.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

meatpimp posted:

I always thought these and the last generation of Eldorados were nice looking cars. I don't think I could get over the 4 speed auto and front wheel drive, though.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004

_firehawk posted:

Often times I see people put wheels from newer cars on older rides. But not vice Versa. Those wheels actually work pretty well on your caddy. Albeit they may look a tad small. 18's are stock right?

Yes. Those 17" are from 2001, though they were never installed on any car I got them from a guy that bought them new and put them on his Allante.

All 2006+ DTS Performance sedans come with 18" rims and Magneride. The non Performance DTS will have 17".

17" rims are stock on all 2000-2005 Deville DTS(Performance model with Continuously Variable Road Sensing Suspension). Non DTS will have 16".

meatpimp posted:

The amount of part interchangeability with the '93 STS I had is ridiculous. GM is so unbelievably lazy. On top of that, the build quality is poo poo.

But, I've always liked this body style... welp.

I actually did a 180 on my opinion of this generation of Deville. While the interior isn't as nice as 2006+ it works and the 2003 & 2002 loaners I got where pretty awesome, though no where near as fast.

Yeah there is lots of part interchanging going on with K & E bodies. I just wish the motor wasn't so leaky. So far the half case seal needed to be resealed and the rear valve cover likes to leak oil externally.

KennyLoggins fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 8, 2012

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

KennyLoggins posted:

Yeah there is lots of part interchanging going on with K & E bodies. I just wish the motor wasn't so leaky. So far the half case seal needed to be resealed and the rear valve cover likes to leak oil externally.

I actually did a 180 on my opinion of this generation of Deville. While the interior isn't as nice as 2006+ it works and the 2003 & 2002 loaners I got where pretty awesome, though no where near as fast.

One nice thing about parts interchangeability -- availability and price.

Rear air shocks? $62/pair. Front struts? These are so common that Monroe has a "Quick Strut" part that consists of the strut / spring / top mount all pre-assembled into a drop-in replacement. Price? $130/side. On top of that, there was just a $60 rebate when you buy 4 corners, so I have all 4 corners for $262 delivered. That is insanely cheap.

The interior of yours is much nicer, but I got this 68k mile heavily-optioned ($46k sticker in '02) one for what's almost a throw-away price. And I'm coming off of a year and a half of having no car, just a Volvo XC90, so this is plenty quick at the moment, but by no means fast. The upside is that it gets stupid gas mileage. Fresh out of the 90 year old owner's hand it did 28mpg on the freeway on the way home. I'm anxious to see what happens to the mpg after a full round of servicing.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004

meatpimp posted:

One nice thing about parts interchangeability -- availability and price.

Rear air shocks? $62/pair. Front struts? These are so common that Monroe has a "Quick Strut" part that consists of the strut / spring / top mount all pre-assembled into a drop-in replacement. Price? $130/side. On top of that, there was just a $60 rebate when you buy 4 corners, so I have all 4 corners for $262 delivered. That is insanely cheap.

The interior of yours is much nicer, but I got this 68k mile heavily-optioned ($46k sticker in '02) one for what's almost a throw-away price. And I'm coming off of a year and a half of having no car, just a Volvo XC90, so this is plenty quick at the moment, but by no means fast. The upside is that it gets stupid gas mileage. Fresh out of the 90 year old owner's hand it did 28mpg on the freeway on the way home. I'm anxious to see what happens to the mpg after a full round of servicing.

On my last DTS which was a 2006 as well (Lux II). I did the same as you and threw Monroes on all 4 corners and it rode way better but it was still to floaty, test drove a Performance and the Magneride is no joke. I miss the LD8 drive line ability to get 25+ on the high way though.

I miss the blue.

3.11 axle ratio is a good compromise to the 3.71 ratio I have now that sucks down fuel cause I'm doing well over 2k rpms on the highway.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

BiRD BoY posted:

Here are two of my rides!

And more of the more expensive, yet, less used ride.

I dont think ive ever seen one of these on the road. They look good though, a lot better than a civic which seems to be its main rival

simreal
Jun 21, 2003
There are some nice rides out there. I recently picked up a new ride myself.

It's not that special. Its the V6 model but its got the rag top. It's fun to drive and it was fairly inexpensive as car's go.

I would love to find some good performance enhancing bolt-on's for the 3800 V6 but my google-fu has failed me thus far.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

simreal posted:

I would love to find some good bolt-on's for the 3800 V6 but my google-fu has failed me thus far.

Supercharger. Fuzzkill had a pretty rockin' 3800 swap in his Corolla.

simreal
Jun 21, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

Supercharger. Fuzzkill had a pretty rockin' 3800 swap in his Corolla.

I would love that. I think I could do it myself too. My only concern is that I cant seem to find anyone who can tell me what precautions I need to take.

Do I need to beef up any other components to do that? I don't want to bolt on a SC and then destroy the engine because I didn't spend $50 on some minor thing.

I would absolutely be open to any info anyone would be willing to offer.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

coolskillrex remix posted:

I dont think ive ever seen one of these on the road. They look good though, a lot better than a civic which seems to be its main rival

I"m pretty sure I know why you don't see a lot of these on the road, they are more expensive then a Civic.

BiRD BoY
Aug 18, 2003

Have a Nice Fright!

sbaldrick posted:

I"m pretty sure I know why you don't see a lot of these on the road, they are more expensive then a Civic.

It does come with all of the important (to me) features of the Si trim package (other than the HP: 173 vs 201) and is around $2k cheaper. That aside, I tested both and I liked the Kia more. I really hate the Civic interior/gauges for some reason.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Cross-posting from the cell phone thread. This was tonight at work. My STi on the left, unknown hospital employee's STi in the middle, and my friend Chris's EVO IX on the right.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I hope someday that guy finds out about the photoshoot he was in that he didn't even know about.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Cage posted:

I hope someday that guy finds out about the photoshoot he was in that he didn't even know about.

It's his own fault for not knowing me! And for working a different schedule. Doesn't he know that he should follow my schedule?

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

Cage posted:

This happened to me once! Except rather than some sap taking a picture of his car because it was similar to mine, it was some (admittedly overly assertive) blonde who thought my car would make for a good impromptu scene for a profie pic:

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
Really? she opened the door, rolled down the window then had someone take a nice picture of her?

Please tell me you allowed this. also WHERE YOU STAY AT FOOL? I know you in my hood, hit me up.

Ive had some very strange things happen with my car. One day there I took my wagon to work and left my 58 cadillac parked on the street, I came home for lunch only to find a group of 20 somethings filming a youtube sketch that heavily revolved around my car. there was a few girls dressed up in mens clothing and a guy wearing a pink tutu dancing in front of my car as i pulled up. I parked my wagon obnoxiously close to the bumper of the cadillac to stop them at first and one of the girls started to get all huffy and said "Cant you see we are trying to film here?" I said "oh, sorry" and went in the house. I grabbed some leftovers came out, walked to the caddy and got in and started to drive away, the girl then really lost it "your car is parked on a public street, we are doing a sketch comedy thing and you have to go ruin it!" I looked her dead in the face and said "If you want to use my car in your little movie, you are going to have to pay me." a male counterpart then realized what was happening, came over and whisked her away and said "I'm really sorry for my friend, we... well... we... saw your car and thought it would be perfect for this, Im sorry for her, she just has a lot invested in this and... I cut him off and told him that it would have been as simple as asking and that im still going to take the car now but if they ever wanted to use it, or any of my other things as props to just ring the bell and ask, and if i wasnt home, they could leave a note or something. I then gave them a quick rundown of what happened to my 50 buick Indiana Jones car just to make him feel extra bad.

so the moral is, if you want to use it, ask.

also: Ill leave you with this.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Walked out of the Worcester Advance Auto a few weeks ago to see this. I didn't even notice the third one there when I parked, though I did see the second one.

(mine is the POS red 6/4 cylinder one all the way to the left, the middle was a 6 cyl standard 4x4 owned by a young father who I ran into in the store)

e: just gonna say this now

quote:

Three Jeeps at the parts store at the same time? Who would have seen that coming!
:goonsay:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

kastein posted:

e: just gonna say this now
:goonsay:

Haha--at least they can drive themselves to the part store. All the electronics might be on the fritz and every inch of the car has a different mystery sound, but it will still drive.

Jeep ownership. :clint:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

mod sassinator posted:

Haha--at least they can drive themselves to the part store. All the electronics might be on the fritz and every inch of the car has a different mystery sound, but it will still drive.

yup. Mine made it there with the heatercore blown, head gasket blown (2 cylinders dead), PS pump screaming, trackbar clunking, and the gauges mostly not functional. Oh, and the wires for the rear o2 sensor dangling in the breeze, because the exhaust is falling off and the o2 sensor wires were the only thing holding it up for a couple months. Still goes way faster than a jeep should ever go, too... and got 15mpg on a recent tank of gas.

I've been beating the poor thing for over a year now trying to kill it the rest of the way so I have some pics for the horrible mechanical failures thread, but the drat engine just won't die, even with a head gasket so badly blown that it consumes coolant and the two middle cylinders are linked together.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Came across a younger relative the other day:

I always forget that FDs are the same size as FBs. I never forget, however, how goddamn gorgeous they are.

Old ladies hanging out.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

simreal posted:

I would love to find some good performance enhancing bolt-on's for the 3800 V6 but my google-fu has failed me thus far.

There really isn't much of anything you can or would want to do. Put some suspension or good tires on it, that would be a much better use of money than making a slow rough lovely engine more rough, lovely, still slow, and now fragile.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

KennyLoggins posted:

cause I'm doing well over 2k rpms on the highway.

Oh you V8 people

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

kastein posted:

and got 15mpg on a recent tank of gas.

What do I have to sacrifice, and to whom, for similar results?

It probably has to do with the lift, the tires, and the roof rack, but the BEST tank we've gotten since we bought our XJ was 12.x MPG with a lot of highway.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

opengl128 posted:

Oh you V8 people

1500rpm at 60mph with my V8, it's basically idling :v:

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

mod sassinator posted:

That pretty much perfectly describes my last few years of ownership with my '97 ZJ. Still miss that drat thing.

hunter x az
Oct 28, 2003
I know people's cars are their own thing but I'll never understand why people like gold rims... :|

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

mod sassinator posted:

1500rpm at 60mph with my V8, it's basically idling :v:

With my 2.92 rear axle I run at around 1800 rpms and am doing 70mph with my V8 and get 25mpgs. Its nice to have so much torque that you can hold sixth up a hill and not lose any speed.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Faerunner posted:

What do I have to sacrifice, and to whom, for similar results?

It probably has to do with the lift, the tires, and the roof rack, but the BEST tank we've gotten since we bought our XJ was 12.x MPG with a lot of highway.

Have you recalibrated your speedo/odo with a new VSS gear? There is a good chance you are actually getting a bit better mileage.

The tires and roof rack are not gonna really help, nothing you can really do about that. I am not so sure about mileage decreases from just the lift, as I saw none on my XJ in the few weeks I had it lifted with stock tires.

I am almost afraid to gently caress with the XJ and its magical good fuel economy by putting a new engine in before it blows. With my luck it will get 12mpg after I fix it.

E: for anyone who is thinking I should just throw ahead gasket in it - I have been driving it with a super heavy right foot and a blown HG for over a year now. It's not so much a question of fire deck erosion/flame polishing or not, but rather, how many fractions of an inch I have eroded... this block and head are almost certainly coffee table material.

kastein fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 9, 2012

David Bowie
Aug 12, 2003
Suck the shit out of my asshole you meth-mouthed worthless e-begging fuck. Here is my 10 dollars to the cause you leech on society

2005 Forester XT

Obsidian Black Pearl, ej257 (STi longblock), with a 5-speed (4.44 gearing).

My goal is to keep the car as stock looking as possible on the outside for the ultimate sleeper aspect. People don't look twice at this car, don't try to race me at every stoplight, and I love it.

Modifications:
Cobb Accessport v2 with custom dynotune
FP TD06sl2 20G 8cm^2 hotside turbo (internals are close to a Garret GT30 in size)
3" catless bellmouth downpipe
WBR mid-pipe
Prodrive oval tip axle-back exhaust
Tommei unequal length headers w/catless up-pipe
STi TMIC
Perrin big MAF intake
Prodrive boost solenoid
850cc Deatschwerks injectors
Walbro 255lph
Hotbits coilovers

Did the blown cylinder #3 mod a couple of weeks ago at 128,000 miles :suicide:.

Car is currently off to the shop to have a fully built block, extensive headwork, methanol injection + some more goodies, and another dynotune by Andy. I am still debating if I want to drop the money on a STi 6 speed and all the accompanying needed parts, or stick with the 5 speed and crazy low gearing. The car spins at about 3k RPM going 65-70 mph in 5th gear on the highway!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

David Bowie posted:

2005 Forester XT

Those cars are unreasonable sleepers. I had mine modded with just STI headers/intercooler/uppipe/3" turbo-back, etc. and it was silly fun. Seeing other people drive it was the most fun, though... with the little wagon form and the amount of acceleration it had? It looked cartoonish as it immediately jumped up and left. I almost didn't like the 4.44 with my mods, I'd have to think you'd be better served dropping those diffs down a notch.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

hunter x az posted:

I know people's cars are their own thing but I'll never understand why people like gold rims... :|

I can think of two things...

Gold Enkei mesh on anything boxy and older than mid-90s.

Gold wheels on blue Subarus.

Monstertruck
Aug 13, 2011

Sockington posted:

Gold BBS on any color Subaru looks good. I'm considering painting my SYMS tuning fork wheels I picked up in Japan gold. They are currently (like most SYMS wheels) white. I don't think white wheels on dark grey will look too good.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

hunter x az posted:

Sometimes there are extenuating circumstances...

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Sockington posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWF-hH1nloo

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

kastein posted:

Have you recalibrated your speedo/odo with a new VSS gear? There is a good chance you are actually getting a bit better mileage.

The tires are stock size, they're just BFG A/Ts, not the smoothest ride, so I can't imagine them being being too good for fuel economy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Gold rims are awesome.