Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
In one European Mickey Mouse comic Mickey spends hours pulling off one hood after another from Phantom Blot's face. That was a perfect :regd08: moment for the joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Maxwell Lord posted:

This is like the last episode of The Prisoner.

Thank goodness it's not just me. :)

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Nenonen posted:

In one European Mickey Mouse comic Mickey spends hours pulling off one hood after another from Phantom Blot's face. That was a perfect :regd08: moment for the joke.

I'm pretty sure that every Scooby-Doo parody ever has also done this.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

greatn posted:

2nd edition ADnD you got bonus experience if your class base stat was high. It's as dumb as it sounds.

Eh. Of all the things to complain about in 2nde, having 'talented' (read: extra strong, or smart, or wise, or dextrous) characters advance faster than non-talented ones given the same sequence of events is pretty minor.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

sfwarlock posted:

Eh. Of all the things to complain about in 2nde, having 'talented' (read: extra strong, or smart, or wise, or dextrous) characters advance faster than non-talented ones given the same sequence of events is pretty minor.

The problem with that particular rule was that 2nd Edition ALSO had individual class-based experience rewards. So a Fighter got extra xp for every monster he killed, Thieves got bonus xp for gold, mages and clerics for casting spells. So it meant that a Fighter with 18/00 Strength who was already getting a ton of bonus xp for killing things because he had such a huge Strength was then getting a +10% on top of that. Or a cleric who got more spells to cast because of his high Wisdom then getting a +10% bonus to all that experience he's getting for casting those spells. And so on.

Which would be fine in a point buy system because you could always choose to make sure you have a good enough score to get the bonus in your particular class. But in a random system, and a particularly harsh one at that, it meant that you ended up with some players having a huge edge because they got lucky during character generation and therefore becoming the stars of the show, while those upon whom the Goddess of Dice frowned upon being relegated to the supporting cast.

(Rolling 3d6, no re-rolls, put 'em in order was the default rule. Granted, there were optional variants, including the most common one of 4d6 keep the best three, put 'em where you want, but even that didn't guarantee that you would get at least one 16.)

And yeah, the fact that 2nd Edition had other, bigger problems doesn't keep the skewed experience rules from also being a problem.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

The last time I saw an original take on the "Mask under a Mask" gag was in a Darkwing Duck comic. There was a mask-stealing-themed villain who was after Darkwing's mask, and he finally managed to steal it off his face. The villain gets captured, but he claims partial victory since Darkwing has been unmasked... only for Darkwing to reveal that wasn't his real face, it was a duplicate mask of his real face, and he still had a mask on his real face under the fake face mask.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

The last time I saw an original take on the "Mask under a Mask" gag was in a Darkwing Duck comic. There was a mask-stealing-themed villain who was after Darkwing's mask, and he finally managed to steal it off his face. The villain gets captured, but he claims partial victory since Darkwing has been unmasked... only for Darkwing to reveal that wasn't his real face, it was a duplicate mask of his real face, and he still had a mask on his real face under the fake face mask.
:psyduck:
So... the face-mask is... a double bluff?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

It was a disney adventures comic wasn't it. WASN'T IT

TremendousMajestic
Mar 8, 2007

bye bye everybody bye bye!

jng2058 posted:

The problem with that particular rule was that 2nd Edition ALSO had individual class-based experience rewards. So a Fighter got extra xp for every monster he killed, Thieves got bonus xp for gold, mages and clerics for casting spells. So it meant that a Fighter with 18/00 Strength who was already getting a ton of bonus xp for killing things because he had such a huge Strength was then getting a +10% on top of that. Or a cleric who got more spells to cast because of his high Wisdom then getting a +10% bonus to all that experience he's getting for casting those spells. And so on.

Which would be fine in a point buy system because you could always choose to make sure you have a good enough score to get the bonus in your particular class. But in a random system, and a particularly harsh one at that, it meant that you ended up with some players having a huge edge because they got lucky during character generation and therefore becoming the stars of the show, while those upon whom the Goddess of Dice frowned upon being relegated to the supporting cast.

(Rolling 3d6, no re-rolls, put 'em in order was the default rule. Granted, there were optional variants, including the most common one of 4d6 keep the best three, put 'em where you want, but even that didn't guarantee that you would get at least one 16.)

And yeah, the fact that 2nd Edition had other, bigger problems doesn't keep the skewed experience rules from also being a problem.

Speaking of old rules, what was the justification in 2nd ed for getting xp from found magic items?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

TremendousMajestic posted:

Speaking of old rules, what was the justification in 2nd ed for getting xp from found magic items?

In 1st edition you got xp for finding magic items. In 2nd the experience value was for creating it. And of course in 3rd they went the other way and the experience value was how many xp you had to spend to make the item, since the reward was the item itself.

As far as why 1st edition gave you experience on top of rewarding you with the item itself? I dunno, maybe they were going with the heroic acquisition moment kind of thing, but given how dirt common a +1 sword is by the time you're 11th level is, that doesn't really hold true after a while, you know?

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 10, 2012

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TremendousMajestic posted:

That was first ed as well.

I believe it was an outgrowth of money for xp - you could sell the item and get the cash, or keep it and get (a lot less) xp.

And money for xp was the rule we always ditched when we played back in the 80s, but in retrospect it was sort of key. Get in - get out - get rich is the old school way, getting the maximum reward for the minimum risk. So any fight that could be avoided by trickery, negotiation, or stealth should be - since the xp reward for monsters was minimal compared to what you'd get from treasure.

The trouble with money for xp, of course, is it relies on having a good GM to really work.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

NihilCredo posted:

I actually agree with DMBFan23, it feels pretty lame to be all looking forward to (for example) an epic rematch of V vs. ZZdtri, only to then have V knocked out of the stage through a fairly contrived sequence of events ("Our verbose and stoic wizard suddenly screams and runs away in an epic-level pyramid that we know is trapped to hell and back? Ah, no worries, he's probably just taking a bit of fresh air outside, it's perfectly OK to have a party member walk around alone in this adventure." :rolleyes:)

Reading back through the thread - V falling into the pit is possibly the least satisfying plot development of the whole series. It's such a transparent way of fiddling the scales, and having it as a random coincidence is very cheap.

It's a minor thing, but it stands out because Rich is normally so good at making up clever developments from known events or lampshading obvious plot-dickery.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

sebmojo posted:

Reading back through the thread - V falling into the pit is possibly the least satisfying plot development of the whole series. It's such a transparent way of fiddling the scales, and having it as a random coincidence is very cheap.

It's a minor thing, but it stands out because Rich is normally so good at making up clever developments from known events or lampshading obvious plot-dickery.

I thought (and still think) it was fairly natural thing to happen; V panics, runs off into a dungeon created by an epic illusionist and pays the price. V also has a really good reason to panic, he/she has had a paradigm shattering realisation over the consequences of their actions.

The Linear Guild showing up immediately afterwards is what feels a bit unsatisfying to me - we knew that they were going to be showing up fairly soon after The Order found the Gate, but the fact that they showed up literally before The Order actually managed to do anything suggests that Rich didn't have anything for them to do.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Alchenar posted:

I thought (and still think) it was fairly natural thing to happen; V panics, runs off into a dungeon created by an epic illusionist and pays the price. V also has a really good reason to panic, he/she has had a paradigm shattering realisation over the consequences of their actions.

To a point. The uncharacteristically emotional reaction was well done and appropriate. And, yeah, trap-filled dungeon.

But this is about the fifth time Rich has had to come up with a reason why V can't be around to fix the encounter, and it's getting a bit obvious. I wouldn't be surprised if it's lampshaded later on, as he's very sharp on that kind of thing.

quote:

The Linear Guild showing up immediately afterwards is what feels a bit unsatisfying to me - we knew that they were going to be showing up fairly soon after The Order found the Gate, but the fact that they showed up literally before The Order actually managed to do anything suggests that Rich didn't have anything for them to do.

I didn't mind that so much as the interplay is funny, and there's a couple of shoes waiting to drop. Plus - they didn't achieve anything but it's still nice seeing them working as a competent group.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 11, 2012

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Obviously V's player is that guy in your group who can never quite get it together and keep the schedule. So when the DM found out at the last minute that he was about to go on vacation for a month, he just shunted the character down a hole.

This also explains why the others didn't put any effort into finding him! No point looking until the player is back.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Ashcans posted:

Obviously V's player is that guy in your group who can never quite get it together and keep the schedule. So when the DM found out at the last minute that he was about to go on vacation for a month, he just shunted the character down a hole.

This also explains why the others didn't put any effort into finding him! No point looking until the player is back.

I'll totally buy that explanation. We pull crap like that drat near every week in our Pathfinder game.

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

jng2058 posted:

I'll totally buy that explanation. We pull crap like that drat near every week in our Pathfinder game.

Out of game: Bob goes on vacation
In game: Bobabimous suddenly ate some bad fish and spends three weeks vomiting in the inn. Turns out a Spellcaster isn't needed to fight he dragon because someone tripped over an anti-magic field generator on the way down.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Has Burlew alluded that the strip is an actual game being played at that moment by a group of friends and an incredibly devious, dickish, but clever DM or is it just a story set in the D&D universe using D&D conventions?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Calaveron posted:

Has Burlew alluded that the strip is an actual game being played at that moment by a group of friends and an incredibly devious, dickish, but clever DM or is it just a story set in the D&D universe using D&D conventions?

Yeah, he's outright said that it's the latter. People are just playing around!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, he's outright said that it's the latter. People are just playing around!

So it's essentially its own thing inspired by D&D instead of being like Goblins (but here the DM instead of being incredibly devious, dickish, and clever he's just a really gross dude with some horrible fetishes)?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Goblins is based on am actual game? Holy fuckin poo poo, that's somehow more messed up.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

greatn posted:

Goblins is based on am actual game? Holy fuckin poo poo, that's somehow more messed up.
Goblins is a game being played, yes. The player behind the dwarf is a woman, for instance. The dwarf is a cleric who worships the DM.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Calaveron posted:

The dwarf is a cleric who worships the DM.

Ah, the one true god!

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

RentACop posted:

It was a disney adventures comic wasn't it. WASN'T IT

Yeah, that was the story of "Mondo, the Mad Mask Misappropriator".

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Goblins is a game being played, yes.
I did not think I could lower my opinion of Goblins but here we are in the year of our Lord 2012 and I just did.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I did not think I could lower my opinion of Goblins but here we are in the year of our Lord 2012 and I just did.

Goblins is.... horrible.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I stopped reading Goblins a long time ago because it was incredibly slow and a bit poo poo, but I don't remember it being that bad. What's the story (and is there somewhere else I can read about it, so as not to poo poo up this thread)?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Grognards link, but you can start reading about it here. It goes pretty deep, and the dude's kind of hosed up, but leave it elsewhere.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Aside from the plot being one note I just couldn't get over how ugly and samey the characters looked. It might have been technically proficient but it just wasn't a joy to look at.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
As a final point to the goblins derail, it actually came up in the Bash-Dominic-Deegan thread over the weekend (starting here). And since that's already a thread for talking about terrible webcomics/webcomic artists, feel free to dump on the goblins guy in there.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
The cut-out monster miniatures PDF is actually pretty cool. And my DM owns a really good printer and a ready supply of heavy paper.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

No new comic yet, but apparently the book reprints and notepads are done, so a whole bunch of stuff should be mailed out soon. It's exciting to see everything filling up.

Looking forward to getting my prequel books and SSaDT!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Got my coloring book and magnet, the notepad is still to come. Yay!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Pyrolocutus posted:

No new comic yet, but apparently the book reprints and notepads are done, so a whole bunch of stuff should be mailed out soon. It's exciting to see everything filling up.

Looking forward to getting my prequel books and SSaDT!

I love his status updates. It's taking a while, but it doesn't feel like it's taking a while.

There's a lot to be said for transparency.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
:siren: The Dangers of Progress :siren:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Oh, goddammit, Rich, you magnificent bastard.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

CapnAndy posted:

:siren: The Dangers of Progress :siren:

That's awesome.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Belkar can do one monster of a jump when he wants to.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Nilbop posted:

Belkar can do one monster of a jump when he wants to.

He still has that +20 ring of jumping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
These are fun characters. I love Malack blowing off Nale.

Is there any chance of Varsuuvius saving herself from the pit, or has this clinched her out of the battle?