Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

Three things I learned today:

• Yokohama Neova Advans are way better than the decade-old Bridgestones that I ripped to shreds last year.
  • Better tires still aren't much help when your front wheels have positive camber because of stock alignment.
  • Even though I feel like a driving god because I snagged a better raw time than a 350Z, an '05 STI, a couple of Miatas, and an Elise (!), there will always be some rear end in a top hat in a '94 Protegé that will humble me with a 3-second faster run.
:gbsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Eh, a 94 Protege was FTD today.

It was an FSP Protege, but...

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
I'm a little excited because i'll be be bringing out the the turbo Genesis instead of the turbo Yaris this next event in Marana. I'm curious how bad I will do with it but it should be fun regardless.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

MiniFoo posted:

Three things I learned today:

• Yokohama Neova Advans are way better than the decade-old Bridgestones that I ripped to shreds last year.
  • Better tires still aren't much help when your front wheels have positive camber because of stock alignment.
  • Even though I feel like a driving god because I snagged a better raw time than a 350Z, an '05 STI, a couple of Miatas, and an Elise (!), there will always be some rear end in a top hat in a '94 Protegé that will humble me with a 3-second faster run.
:gbsmith:

If it makes you feel better, the FTD for the autoX I did today was set by a 97' neon. I was almost 5 seconds off in my 328, but I blame the 2 year old all season tires for some of that. Felt pretty good to beat an early model e36 with Rcomps and get a half second within an 06' M3. Despite the slower rack, smaller engine and worse tires I felt way more confident in my e36 compared to my e46. Mechanical throttle with linear resistance really helps control a tail happy car in a bumpy parking lot with off-camber corners and wierd asphalt joints.

Hopefully my friend will upload his pictures soon. He got a great shot of some old man with a corvette annihililating the cone with the timing system reflector.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 7, 2012

User Error
Aug 31, 2006

Podothehobbit posted:

I'm a little excited because i'll be be bringing out the the turbo Genesis instead of the turbo Yaris this next event in Marana. I'm curious how bad I will do with it but it should be fun regardless.

There's a guy around here that cleans up in a stock 2.0t Genesis coupe with R-comps. He's usually 2 or 3 seconds off the FTD.

El Gato
Nov 5, 2002

Crustashio posted:

I didn't get any pictures of it, but in typical BMW fashion a z3 popped a coolant hose mid-run.

This is the part I'm afraid of!

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Did autocross yesterday and today in my '01 330Ci in Albany, NY for http://www.mohud-scca.org/

It was a ton of fun, lots of cool cars. Took a ride in a fully prepped and caged Evo 9 MR, incredibly exhilarating.

My best lap of the day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dis0J_pUTAU
I didn't do too bad, the only other car in my class that did better was a brand new 135i.

Elan 2+2

Cleanest RX-7 Turbo on earth.

Exige S, one of 50 imported to the US in 2010 according to the owner.

This 944 was trailered to the event, the worst body roll of any car there and on poor tires, looked more like a LeMons car. The Roadmaster wagon towing it would have been more competitive!

Some say he drives a manual BMW station wagon.

All-Electric Porsche 904 Replica, extremely well done.

Badass Caterham 7 in front of my car, the owners had never done autoX before, it was a beast!

BeRandom
Mar 20, 2011
Yesterday I went to the Pontiac Silverdome for my very first Solo event. My class, STF ran in the first heat. I managed 4 out of 6 with a well modified Fiesta and Mazda3 ahead of me. Every run I shaved off at least 1.5 seconds, so that made me happy. I'll post pictures if the region puts some up.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Voltage posted:

Do you know if that ziptie was imposed on him or if he came prepared with it? My fusebox cover is broken and I imagine I'll get called out at trackday if I don't have it secured. Wonder if it's a common issue on C6s.

quote:

This 944 was trailered to the event, the worst body roll of any car there and on poor tires, looked more like a LeMons car. The Roadmaster wagon towing it would have been more competitive!

I bet it was fun, though.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 8, 2012

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

How not to enter the stop box:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhjNbLMb4is

I can't count the number of people that blew the box though, they had it on a really weird angle. I did that twice before saying gently caress it and braking well beyond the weird angle and juuust managing to stop before the last cone. Thanks to ziploc for the video!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That stop box scares the poo poo out of me, though it's more because of that curb than the sharp approach angle. I'd probably have started braking well in advance and just pussied the car around the corner and into the stopbox on the right side.

Then again... does your club let you use reverse gear in the stopbox?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That stop box scares the poo poo out of me, though it's more because of that curb than the sharp approach angle. I'd probably have started braking well in advance and just pussied the car around the corner and into the stopbox on the right side.

Then again... does your club let you use reverse gear in the stopbox?

I didn't think so, but people were doing it and not getting penalized. No reversing on course, so I have no idea. And a few people just about hit the curb, one guy was sideways within inches of it. Really wasn't a fan of the stop box, but oh well.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.
That stopbox looks terrible, and dangerous. If you brakes failed before the turn, you'd have about 30 feet until you hit what look to be spectators. We just had a huge thing in our region about making stops that are straight because when you have a sharp turn before the stop, people were going at, and often above their limits to get that last hundredth of a second off of their time and ended up punting two of our timing lights a good 40 feet.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Brigdh posted:

That stopbox looks terrible, and dangerous. If you brakes failed before the turn, you'd have about 30 feet until you hit what look to be spectators. We just had a huge thing in our region about making stops that are straight because when you have a sharp turn before the stop, people were going at, and often above their limits to get that last hundredth of a second off of their time and ended up punting two of our timing lights a good 40 feet.

Yeah, our stop boxes tend to either have a chicane in front of them for speed control or are just at the end of a slowish sweeping turn. We also have room to make a really long stopbox, which other venues may not have.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Brigdh posted:

That actually happened to us on Sunday. They put a really tight corner before the stop box (or slow box, it wasn't even possible to come to a stop) and everyone was having trouble with it. FWD cars were understeering towards the timing cone and RWD cars were hanging their rear end out at it. In the end an old man with a Corvette who was getting loose all day hit the throttle mid-exit and spun out into the reflector. Luckily they keep spares and a lot of tape.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Finishes should always be designed with a straight braking zone, with plenty of distance to safely stop, and without a feature just prior that would cause a driver to be out of control through the lights into the braking zone.

It's pretty easy to design a slow finish feature into a slow braking zone if you are space limited, which is why seeing unsafe finishes always annoys me.

Give up 3-4 seconds of course time to make the finish safe. Always.

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

The parking lot that that club runs in is tiny, oddly shaped and filled with poles, so they have to make convoluted and sometimes slightly dangerous courses just to keep the run times over 30 seconds.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Would any one happen to know some where that has RS3s in 225/45/15 in stock?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Sadi posted:

Probably nowhere. Sorry.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Sadi posted:

Nobody does. Tire Rack can't get an estimate because of Hankook's atrocious ordering/shipping method. To elaborate: Hankook USA doesn't know what they're getting from Hankook HQ until the shipping container is opened. Because of this, tire distributors can't get an estimate as to what tires will be arriving when because... Hankook USA doesn't know.

The R-S3 is a hot tire, but I'm looking forward to the Z2 that was released this spring in Japan by Dunlop. It's apparently consistently 1-3% faster than the out-going Direzza Z1.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
So is there another hot tire to go with right now? Im trying to stay under $500 for the 4 tires. Im putting them on spare set of stock 15x6s for E-Stock. I wouldnt mind slicks but being that this is my first season I would think staying with street tires may be best. Discount Tire Direct seems to be running $100 off a set of 4 tires right now, though they dont seem to have anything I would want in stock as far as I could see.
EDIT: The tires would be pretty much for autocross, it would be cool if they could run a track day or two though. Also id be willing to take a little cut in performance if they would last for 2 or more autocross seasons.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
195/50R15 or 205/50R15 Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Phone posted:

Nobody does. Tire Rack can't get an estimate because of Hankook's atrocious ordering/shipping method. To elaborate: Hankook USA doesn't know what they're getting from Hankook HQ until the shipping container is opened. Because of this, tire distributors can't get an estimate as to what tires will be arriving when because... Hankook USA doesn't know.

The R-S3 is a hot tire, but I'm looking forward to the Z2 that was released this spring in Japan by Dunlop. It's apparently consistently 1-3% faster than the out-going Direzza Z1.

Speaking of which I've been waiting to order new tires since the ambient temp keeps dipping below 40. Now I'm debating whether to buy RS3/DSS for daily driven tires that I'll use at auto-x for my AP1 S2000. Has anyone tried these back to back? I'm leaning with DSS since I'm mainly concerned about wet performance, but from what I've seen the RS3s aren't as good in the rain but are heads an shoulders above most street tires for wet grip anyways. Also the AP2 sizes are in stock for RS3s since not many cars use them.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome posted:

The parking lot that that club runs in is tiny, oddly shaped and filled with poles, so they have to make convoluted and sometimes slightly dangerous courses just to keep the run times over 30 seconds.

Ours is also limited by the length of the cord for the timing equipment, and none of the parking lots they can get access to are good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NxamjQBLZYA

Someone's video from last weekend - the two big cones around 41s is the finish into the "slow" box. The one on the right is what the corvette spun into.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Muffinpox posted:

Speaking of which I've been waiting to order new tires since the ambient temp keeps dipping below 40. Now I'm debating whether to buy RS3/DSS for daily driven tires that I'll use at auto-x for my AP1 S2000. Has anyone tried these back to back? I'm leaning with DSS since I'm mainly concerned about wet performance, but from what I've seen the RS3s aren't as good in the rain but are heads an shoulders above most street tires for wet grip anyways. Also the AP2 sizes are in stock for RS3s since not many cars use them.

Star Specs will handle the cold better

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Phone posted:

Oh boy I hope this hits soon because I'd love Z1s on closeout.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
You guys would not believe the volume of oil a Tokico can forcibly eject when the seal goes in the middle of a run.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

chem42 posted:

You guys would not believe the volume of oil a Tokico can forcibly eject when the seal goes in the middle of a run.

I run Tokicos. :ohdear:

BeRandom
Mar 20, 2011
This past Sunday I attended my first Solo event and had a blast. The cold air intake on my car put me in the Street Touring Front-drive class. STF allows for a lot of modifications that I don't have or have the ability to install, so my car wasn't very competitive.

The organizers managed to secure a bigger lot than last year, which meant course times between 90 and 110 seconds. I managed to shave at least 1.5 seconds each run.

Only able to find one action shot:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
That lot looks huge and delicious.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Should I Autocross my V6 Mustang? Y/N

Edit: it's a 2012

(never done it before and I don't really car about being competitive, just want to hoon it up a bit and test the limits)

Rabble fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 16, 2012

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Yes. You should autocross.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Rabble posted:

Should I Autocross my V6 Mustang? Y/N

(never done it before and I don't really car about being competitive, just want to hoon it up a bit and test the limits)

Not only yes, but depending on what year it is, in stock class the V6 Mustang can be very competitive, at least locally, as it's in GS, which has a great PAX index (autocross handicapping).

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
If you said you had a Cavalier convertible i'd say yes.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Rabble posted:

Should I Autocross my <CAR>? Y/N

The answer is always yes.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

The answer is always yes.

The wife's Mazda5?

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

Sockington posted:

The wife's Mazda5?

Just don't tell the wife

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Brigdh posted:

Just don't tell the wife

I think it *just* squeaks in under the minimum SSF(static stability factor) for SCCA with 1.30.

If it didn't see winter driving, it'd be down in the weeds on Mazda3 suspension.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sockington posted:

The wife's Mazda5?

Autocross the engineless shell of the 323 with someone pushing if you have to. Answer is always yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

Autocross the engineless shell of the 323 with someone pushing if you have to. Answer is always yes.

The answer is always this. My sunfire was hilarious last year, understeered like a pig until you lifted and then weeee snap oversteer! Also every suspension component was in need of replacing, and the amount of flex in the chassis was hilarious. I usually tried to find the heaviest person I could for the passenger seat cause it kept the body roll down a bit. It wasn't competitive at all, but was hilariously fun.

• Locked thread