Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

lightpole posted:

On the Bear at least, you get 3 days in port. Usually the watch officers split it up into 24 hour watches so they get two days off. The money is not great but you can go to cool ports which would be the only reason to actually go on one. This year they have a lovely cruise but last year was South Pacific which is awesome and next year is Asia which is all right.

They're still suckers, we make port EVERY NIGHT and get to see places like Port Huron and Toledo! Suck it saltwater academailures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Edit: Wow, that post was a bad idea.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 06:15 on May 13, 2013

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

I can't believe I spent $5 on this title.
I'm flying out to Norway next week to pick up a ship, sailing back to Sydney via the Cape, no Suez because pirates. 13,500NM voyage, apparently.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

StopShootingMe posted:

I'm flying out to Norway next week to pick up a ship, sailing back to Sydney via the Cape, no Suez because pirates. 13,500NM voyage, apparently.

Non-stop?

Enjoy the corned beef and weird milk.

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

Bunkers in Cape Town. I'm just hoping we have some sort of internet access, the ship will come with it (Scandinavian fancy buildsmanship) but I won't be surprised if the company pulls it straight off to save money. Then can't understand why the ship is in trouble for having uncorrected electronic charts (it's a paperless chart system).

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

lightpole posted:

On the Bear at least, you get 3 days in port. Usually the watch officers split it up into 24 hour watches so they get two days off. The money is not great but you can go to cool ports which would be the only reason to actually go on one. This year they have a lovely cruise but last year was South Pacific which is awesome and next year is Asia which is all right.

Yeah, the Bear docked in Auckland last year and I got absolutely shitfaced with all the Yankees. We got kicked out of one of the worst bars in Auckland, I still have absolutely no idea how - I really don't remember it.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

StopShootingMe posted:

Then can't understand why the ship is in trouble for having uncorrected electronic charts (it's a paperless chart system).

Paperless chart corrections are the best chart corrections.

Internet is becoming more and more common... The funny thing with my last employer was that they only had a subscription to one satellite, so things got iffy if you went past, oh, Cape Race.

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?

FrozenVent posted:

Disregard previous post. I'd take that job. Assuming the port stays are long and relatively not busy.

There is no such thing as a maritime school that doesn't suck. In Canada at least.

I backpacked Iceland for vacation, so Azores is what I'd do it for. I think there are about 3 days in each port. I said no this morning, if anyone else is interested I'd be happy to give you the contact info, they need someone ASAP.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Fish Shalami posted:

they need someone ASAP.

So do... Well, everybody else, all the time.

This popped up in GIP of all place, I figured I'd share. Not sure if I should snicker cynically or :canada:.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Gonna watch out for those Lake Huron U-Boats this summer.

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?

FrozenVent posted:

So do... Well, everybody else, all the time.

This popped up in GIP of all place, I figured I'd share. Not sure if I should snicker cynically or :canada:.

I like that song. Some guys in my class did an awesome cover of it.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86

StopShootingMe posted:

some sort of offshore supply vessel?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

shovelbum posted:

Gonna watch out for those Lake Huron U-Boats this summer.

Here, use this site to find yourself a hottie in Ashtabula : Sea Captain Date. Thanks to the E/N online dating thread.

Sadly, there are no canadian women on there.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

FrozenVent posted:

Here, use this site to find yourself a hottie in Ashtabula : Sea Captain Date. Thanks to the E/N online dating thread.

Sadly, there are no canadian women on there.

Holy poo poo holy poo poo

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
For how long time does one stay onboard ships on the great lakes 4/8 week rotation or for the entire season?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

We did three months one month, assuming reliefs were available and such. We rarely stuck to the schedule. Algoma tankers does month on month off, Lower Lakes is like... Three weeks and eight days? Something weird like that, they don't pay transportation anyway so I never bothered to look into it.

I don't know on the US side, but on the Canadian side nobody does rotations yet. It's hosed up, you never know how long you're gonna be on or how long you'll be off.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Union Pacific contacted me about a diesel electric job in Roseville through linkedin even though I put up a crappy profile like 5 years ago and have barely touched it since. I really am not interested in the central valley though. That place sucks.

StopShootingMe
Jun 8, 2004

Trench_Rat posted:

some sort of offshore supply vessel?

Yeah, big DP ROV vessel, multiple moonpools, heavy crane, helipad, all that. I've been on one like it from the same yard, beautiful build quality. Polished wooden floors and glass throughout, paperless bridge etc...

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?
We had a union meeting today. These things are getting quite depressing. Looks like we are in a race to the bottom with AMO as far as wages go. I need to get out.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Fish Shalami posted:

We had a union meeting today. These things are getting quite depressing. Looks like we are in a race to the bottom with AMO as far as wages go. I need to get out.

I haven't been since last Nov. Its too depressing especially since the union is on the low side of pay for the industry.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
(I'm going to assume you guys are Americans) Aren't you pretty protected job-wise by the Jones Act?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Per posted:

(I'm going to assume you guys are Americans) Aren't you pretty protected job-wise by the Jones Act?

Jobs are protected but pay isn't. The two main engineering unions are AMO and MEBA and they have been feuding since the split. The companies can play them against each other to bring costs down.

Compare this to rigs which do not have Jones Act protection and are competing for people with better incentives or shoreside where pay is flat or increasing instead of dropping sharply.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I would like to confirm that advanced marine first aid doesn't get any more interesting the third time. Transport Canada now wants four days of instruction, but there's the same amount of material so... Well, more time to practice, I guess. I did get to backboard a few people, practice can't hurt.

Also, I am glad to report that O2 does help with morning-after recovery, and it is possible to fall asleep while strapped to a backboard if the "rescuers" take too long filling out paperwork or whatever. Hey, I had a heavy lunch, and a short night the night before.

It's not continuing education if you're not out partying every night instead of studying.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006

StopShootingMe posted:

Yeah, big DP ROV vessel, multiple moonpools, heavy crane, helipad, all that. I've been on one like it from the same yard, beautiful build quality. Polished wooden floors and glass throughout, paperless bridge etc...

Is it an X-Bow?

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

FrozenVent posted:

I would like to confirm that advanced marine first aid doesn't get any more interesting the third time. Transport Canada now wants four days of instruction, but there's the same amount of material so...

Sorry to hear that. We just had our third time too, and this was the one with injections and poo poo. One guy nearly fainted.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Injections, catheters and all that fun stuff was Marine Medical Care. Did that while I was still in school, it was pretty interesting actually. Went a bit deeper than "PAIN IS BAD AIR IS GOOD".

So yeah, you could say it was my fourth time going through that poo poo. Fifth if you count general first aid, before I decided going to sea was a good idea. I'm up to what... 100-120 hours of first aid and medical response training now? loving awesome.

Total ECDIS and GPS training time, 20 hours. BECAUSE THAT MAKES SENSE OK?

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
spent 10 hours unclogging toilets yesterday not putting anything but toiletpaper in a toilet must be rocket sience for someone :argh:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Trench_Rat posted:

spent 10 hours unclogging toilets yesterday not putting anything but toiletpaper in a toilet must be rocket sience for someone :argh:

Add something about protecting the precious bacteria and you've pretty much got engineer.txt, forever.

Was it a vacuum system? Had one fail for five days while on a voyage once, it wasn't pleasant.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
yes hamworthy vacum system we belive the culprit is a tampon deposited by one of the (female we hope) seismic geologist onboard

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Oh man. Sewage is fun and everything but there's a point

Oh hey that sign is for everyone else I am a college educated professional and I know what Im doing

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
*flush*

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?
We had a recurring clog on one of the drop lines to the sewage holding tank and the guys on the other rotation got so fed up with it the cut into the bulkheads and then cut into the pipe to back flush it with fire hoses. Well I guess they didn't trace it out very well because they blew the line out, but into the Captain's bathroom.... with fire line pressure....twice. He was not happy.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Fish Shalami posted:

We had a recurring clog on one of the drop lines to the sewage holding tank and the guys on the other rotation got so fed up with it the cut into the bulkheads and then cut into the pipe to back flush it with fire hoses. Well I guess they didn't trace it out very well because they blew the line out, but into the Captain's bathroom.... with fire line pressure....twice. He was not happy.

loving. Awesome.

I can just imagine the geyser - And for the folks following at home, fire line pressure is water-shooting-50-ft-in-the-air pressure - of sea water, caked gunk and poo poo flying all over the old man's bathroom.

Bonus point if he was sitting on the crapper at the time.

I think I mentioned it before, but last fall, the 4th Engineer's effort to unclog the bridge's sink somehow resulted in the Captain's shower backflowing. Efforts to address that resulted in a pipe in the Chief Engineer's ceiling busting, spraying a surprising amount of gray water all over what I assume where VERY IMPORTANT PAPER, a computer, a CCTV monitor and a bunch of these catalogues / manuals engineers always keep around (Presumably they use them to store food, that's my theory).

My room was on that deck, the entire deck smelled like wet dog for like a week.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 13, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Fish Shalami posted:

Ahahahahahahahahahahahah holy poo poo that is fantastic

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Fish Shalami posted:

I like that song. Some guys in my class did an awesome cover of it.

With some hindsight and booze, I'd like to submit this instead: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTaB_gFSjhg&feature=related

How then am I so different from the first men through this way
Like them I left a civil life, I threw it all away
To seek a Northwest passage at the call of many men
To find there but the road back home again

Replace Northwest Passage with paycheck / insurance coverage / retirement / seatime. Also, the North West passage sounds pretty awesome and everybody should try to go there anyway. (Only made it to Baffin, myself)

TheQuietWilds
Sep 8, 2009
Do you guys have medical personnel ? If so, what is the criteria for becoming one and what is life like for them? I'm a medic in the military, for reference.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Going from the Canadian regulation - Which I assume is similar to international stuff (IE, STCW) - a ship with less than 60 persons aboard need one person certified in medical care of persons at sea (STCW II... Uh... I can look it up tomorrow) if engaged in an international voyage outside the Great Lakes. (There's a distance requirement too, I don't recall it.) Over 60 persons aboard, you need an actual doctor.

Anything else needs one person who's completed Advanced Marine First Aid. In theory deck officers need to have their advanced, in practice nobody checks until license renewal time comes (Licenses are good five years, first aid is good three. :laugh:). Everybody else needs Basic Marine First Aid. First aid skills are very, very secondary.

Offshore rigs, however, have full time medics. They're similar to EMTs, but I think they have an extra off-shore medic course. They make shittons of money (Like everybody offshore), and apparently don't do that much. That's probably what you want to look into.

Diver support boats also have specialized dive medics.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 06:19 on May 13, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Cruise ships also have doctors/nurses but I have no idea what the qualification for that is like.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Two Finger posted:

Cruise ships also have doctors/nurses but I have no idea what the qualification for that is like.

Be a doctor and / or a nurse. Preferably with emergency medicine experience, IIRC.

Cruise ships fall under the "More than 60 persons onboard" provision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?
Most commercial ships just have a designated medical officer who knows basic lifesaving measures if you are lucky, usually the second or third mate. SOP is to get an actual doctor on the phone and ask for guidance in treating anything. I was on one ship where we had a Diabetic reefer-man who had to get helli-evaced (sp?) off the ship off the coast of Japan after he lost feeling in his feet.

Just picked up a 30-60 day job on an ATC tanker as the 2nd Engineer. First trip as second, should be interesting...

• Locked thread