Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Sorry, I guess it's a bit much all at once.

zenintrude posted:

It seems (and I'm not trying to be obtuse or skirt reading the OP here, just trying to understand the process) that in addition to raising the clock speed, I'm also supposed to set an initial voltage other than "AUTO." What is a good voltage to begin with? In the OP, the hypothetical starting voltage was 1.0V...

That depends on the CPU. If you use Offset-style voltage (and you should) with an offset of +0.00, then the default core voltage will be exactly as the CPU would request at 100% stock settings. And for Ivy Bridge CPUs like yours, that's usually around 1.05V. In fact, you should not need to raise that voltage at all to reach 4.2 GHz. But if you do, then tweaking the offset would add more voltage to the base amount.

quote:

When running my system with stock BIOS settings, I've been idling around 1.05~1.08V while running Prime 95 has pushed that to 1.1959V with temps ranging from 39~42C (my coolest core) to 54~57C (my hottest core). Would it be smart to set the Vcore to 1.2V, up the clock to 4.2, and then test Prime95 again... or should I be going even less on the Vcore?

That's a pretty darn reasonable actual Vcore, so I'd just stop worrying about it for now if the clocks you have are all you want. It sounds like your board has a lot of Vdroop (difference between Vcore and VID) is all. If you wanted to push higher, you'd probably need at least a little load-line calibration (Vdroop control, in the MSI BIOS). But as-is, it's fine.

Also, "too hot" is roughly 72C under Prime95 or similar real-world 100% loads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aleph1
Apr 16, 2004

Factory Factory posted:

If you use Offset-style voltage (and you should) with an offset of +0.00, then the default core voltage will be exactly as the CPU would request at 100% stock settings.

Is there any way to do this on an Asus P8Z77-V?

The UEFI seems to interpret 0.00 as "auto, go hog wild"

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Then set it to +0.005?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm quite happy with this overclock, but I'm a bit worried about the temps. Is it dangerous to run it like this?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
That Vcore is way too high for a long-term safe overclock. That voltage would burn out Sandy Bridge prematurely, and its transistors are almost double the size. You seem to have good cooling if you're only getting 82 C (which is too high, and doubly dangerous with your voltage) at that high a Vcore, so dial the volts back to 1.3 and take what clock speed you can get.

Also, you really shouldn't have your BCLK anywhere but 100.0 MHz.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

This one looks stable. Would have preferred at least 4.6, but :effort:.

Edit:

Is there a reason you shouldn't up the bclk? I thought it was "Up the multiplier at your desired max voltage until you can't go any higher, then use the bclk to get every last Hz out of it."

KillHour fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 9, 2012

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

KillHour posted:

Edit:

Is there a reason you shouldn't up the bclk? I thought it was "Up the multiplier at your desired max voltage until you can't go any higher, then use the bclk to get every last Hz out of it."

With SNB/IVB, the whole platform is incredibly sensitive to the bclk. I don't remember the exact details, but things like the PCIe slots are running off of it, not just the CPU. So it's best to just not gently caress with it and deal with the small difference in overclock.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

unpronounceable posted:

With SNB/IVB, the whole platform is incredibly sensitive to the bclk. I don't remember the exact details, but things like the PCIe slots are running off of it, not just the CPU. So it's best to just not gently caress with it and deal with the small difference in overclock.

Using Straps you can do some good stuff with both the Unlocked and non Unlocked processors, but +- 3 to 7 Mhz can net you some good gains without that much of a stability problem depending on the motherboard. You just have to watch out about doing to much or you can run into I/O errors and such over time. I'd say though that 3mhz either way isn't going to hurt a thing though.

For some reason I have yet to prove on my side, a 125Mhz BCLKC strap is supposed to require less voltage than using the multiplier to reach the same OC, though I have yet to have much success with this method. It could be partly due to the fact that I refuse to run my ram below rated specs. :D

Entreri
Nov 8, 2005

I'm upgrading from my stock E8400 and looking to get into overclocking with my next processor. Should I be looking at the 2500k SB or the 3570k IB?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Entreri posted:

I'm upgrading from my stock E8400 and looking to get into overclocking with my next processor. Should I be looking at the 2500k SB or the 3570k IB?

Whichever is cheaper.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Factory Factory posted:

Shut up and tell me how to make my computer faster :effort:

Buy an Intel Core i5-2500K CPU and an Asus P8P67 rev. 3.1 motherboard. Go into the BIOS/UEFI setup and set the CPU multiplier to 42. Exit and save changes. You have just overclocked your processor.

I browsed the OP, but didn't see an answer to my question. Do I need an aftermarket cooler to do this? This guy is currently only $20 and looks like it has great reviews. I'm just not sure I actually need it. Does the answer change if I'm doing it to a i5-3570k instead of a 2500k?

The Wonder Weapon fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 10, 2012

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
No, but if you don't have one, the CPU fan will ramp up to fairly annoying levels. If you don't want to go aftermarket, stick to 4 GHz or so.

That said, a Hyper 212+ is a great cooler for the price. Use one myself.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Ok, one more post from me (apologies for my annoyingness)...

Running a 3570K @ 4.2ghz and getting a Core Voltage in CPU-Z that jumps between 1.176 and 1.184V.
My temps in Real Temp seems to be hitting maximums of 51, 65, 61, and 59C.

Does all of this seem pretty safe and standard for this level of overclock? I'm flirting with going to 4.4 but will probably leave it here for the time being.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Temps seem a little high for that overclock, but totally fine. Just keep an eye on them and your voltage if you bump it up. I don't see any reason not to go on and try it at 44.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Dogen posted:

Temps seem a little high for that overclock

I have a Hyper 212 EVO installed... is it likely that I applied paste incorrectly, or is my silly case to blame?

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.
How reliable is the monitor on the ASUS AI Suite II thing? I OC'd my 3570k to 4.0 Ghz and under load it shows a vcore of about 1.238 volts and a temperature of 57*C, which I know are fine, but I want to make sure that is a good monitor that isn't lying to me when my cpu is actually burning up (it's my first time OC'ing a cpu and while I know a 4.0 Ghz OC should be cake, I'm just paranoid about catastrophically loving it up).

Looking a couple posts up, it looks that I might have set the voltage a little too high. Would I even need to change it for this small of an OC? I assume that would bring the temp down too right?

USMC503 fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 10, 2012

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!

USMC503 posted:

How reliable is the monitor on the ASUS AI Suite II thing? I OC'd my 3570k to 4.0 Ghz and under load it shows a vcore of about 1.238 volts and a temperature of 57*C, which I know are fine, but I want to make sure that is a good monitor that isn't lying to me when my cpu is actually burning up (it's my first time OC'ing a cpu and while I know a 4.0 Ghz OC should be cake, I'm just paranoid about catastrophically loving it up).

Looking a couple posts up, it looks that I might have set the voltage a little too high. Would I even need to change it for this small of an OC? I assume that would bring the temp down too right?

The most up-to-date version of HWiNFO64 is a very good monitor. The ASUS AI Suite may be accurate but it's a cumbersome pain in the rear end to use.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Hiyoshi posted:

The most up-to-date version of HWiNFO64 is a very good monitor. The ASUS AI Suite may be accurate but it's a cumbersome pain in the rear end to use.

I used this, but it shows VID rather than Vcore... while HWiNFO64 was displaying my system at a VID of 1.27V, CPU-Z showed that my Core Voltage was 1.17V.

Per the OP, it seems that the Vcore number the the one to pay close attention to, unless I'm misunderstanding things.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

zenintrude posted:

I have a Hyper 212 EVO installed... is it likely that I applied paste incorrectly, or is my silly case to blame?

It would either be the former, or that IVB just runs a bit hotter (though at that voltage I wouldn't think it would be that warm, but again it's not really anything to worry about). You can try cleaning and reseating it if you want to, but as long as you don't kick it much up over 72c (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this for IVB) on your hottest core, it's fine.

Your case, while goofy looking, seems to have ok airflow.

zenintrude posted:

I used this, but it shows VID rather than Vcore... while HWiNFO64 was displaying my system at a VID of 1.27V, CPU-Z showed that my Core Voltage was 1.17V.

Per the OP, it seems that the Vcore number the the one to pay close attention to, unless I'm misunderstanding things.

hwinfo64 shows both vcore and VID. Hell, it shows pretty much everything. Vcore is what you want to look at, though.

I think aisuite only shows the CPU package temp, which is somewhat lower than even the coolest core. Since you are most concerned with the warmest core, you need to be looking at something like hwinfo64 to get a baseline.

Hiyoshi
Jun 27, 2003

The jig is up!

zenintrude posted:

HWiNFO64 displays both. Vcore is listed under the Motherboard header towards the bottom.

Edit: Here's an image Factory Factory posted a couple of pages back showing where it is:

Economic Sinkhole
Mar 14, 2002
Pillbug

zenintrude posted:

Scroll down a bit, Vcore should be there. Earlier in the thread I posted regarding similar issues in trusting the temperatures. I found that the AISuite CPU temperature was inaccurate- I think that it is reading a sensor that is not on the CPU itself but near it, in the socket maybe. Stick to whatever lists the readings of the DTS (Digital Thermal Sensor) on each core for the most accurate reading.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Punished myself by switching my mini-ITX H67 board to a Z77 this morning. It was complete hell and this new board is even more cramped than the old one. I was terrified that I wouldn't get the AXP-140 to work, but with enough patience I got it. Pics coming later, and tonight the overclocking begins. :science:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Can anyone tell me why this is happening or if it makes any sense at all:

Running Prime95, my Vcore is around 1.17-1.18.
Idling, my Vcore is around 1.24.

What is happening? :psyduck:

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 10, 2012

FSMC
Apr 27, 2003
I love to live this lie
My old mobo broke so I was in a rush and didn't really do much research buying a replacement.

I got the i5-3570K, Asus P8Z77-V LX & coolmaster 412S.

One warning for people using this mobo is that auto voltage sets the cpu voltage pretty high (> 1.38V). I was hitting 100C. I'm not really sure what I'm doing, but here is what I've done.

So I set most of the setting regarding voltage,current,etc to normal.
Offset @ +0.1, with a multiplier of 45 crashes.
Offset @ +0.15, with a multiplier of 45 works.
Offset @ +0.6 with a multiplier of 44 crashed.
Offset @ +0.7 with a multiplier of 44 seems to work.
I'm happy with 4.4Ghz, especially with the difference in temps.

FSMC fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 10, 2012

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

zenintrude posted:

Can anyone tell me why this is happening or if it makes any sense at all:

Running Prime95, my Vcore is around 1.17-1.18.
Idling, my Vcore is around 1.24.

What is happening? :psyduck:

My guess: you're using constant voltage (or disabled SpeedStep and C-states) and not using load-line calibration. That's just Vdroop, and it's entirely expected. Switch to Offset voltage and re-enabled EIST and C-states if they've been disabled to bring the idle back down to ~1.05V

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Ok, I honestly feel like a pathetic idiot here, but at least this is not related to my CPU anymore:

I'm trying to run GPU-Z and it gives me a "GPU-Z Video card Information utility has stopped working" prompt before it even starts... I've tried 0.6.2 through 0.5.7 and all of them present the same way.

I even tried the one built into ASUS' GPU Tweak and that hard froze my system.

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 11, 2012

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
I can't find anything about that by Googling. Do you have Catalyst 12.4 installed? Does that happen at stock clocks/voltages?

Even if your drivers are up to date, you might want to do a full reinstall of them. That's:

1) Uninstall drivers from add/remove programs
2) Reboot (do not skip this)
3) Run DriverSweeper
4) Reboot again
5) Install the drivers from a freshly-downloaded package
6) Reboot once more

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Factory Factory posted:

I can't find anything about that by Googling. Do you have Catalyst 12.4 installed? Does that happen at stock clocks/voltages?

Even if your drivers are up to date, you might want to do a full reinstall of them. That's:

1) Uninstall drivers from add/remove programs
2) Reboot (do not skip this)
3) Run DriverSweeper
4) Reboot again
5) Install the drivers from a freshly-downloaded package
6) Reboot once more

Holy poo poo, I solved it myself! (I also Googled quite a lot and came up with nothing)

Solution: Uninstalled the Intel HD Graphics 4000 driver I'd been using, restart, and voila! Worked instantly.

[edit] Quick question... even though I enabled PCIE GEN3 in my BIOS, the bus interface in GPU-Z comes up as "PCI-E 3.0x16 @ x16 1.1"... running the render test changes it to "PCI-E 3.0x16 @ x16 3.0" but restarting GPU-Z returns it to "PCI-E 3.0x16 @ x16 1.1" is this normal?

testtubebaby fucked around with this message at 01:27 on May 11, 2012

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I'm a complete newbie to overclocking, I own a P8Z77-V LX and a 3570k with a Hyper 212 EVO. I basically followed the instructions of this post:

Factory Factory posted:

Ai Tweaker -> Turbo Ratio: Manual, Ratio Synch Control Enabled, ratio limit 40x

4.5 GHz will probably not appreciably affect chip lifetime, since 4.5 GHz doesn't take a lot of voltage on Ivy Bridge. The chip may never make it on the Future Space Shuttle like old 386 chips, but it'll last at least as long as you'll ever find the system useful.

Except I used ratio limit of 45x. Is there anything else I need to change? I downloaded HWinfo64 and I see my core ratios jumping between 45x and 16x an awful lot. I don't know what I'm doing or if this is even working. :confused:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

My Asrock Z77 board has preset overclocking settings for 4.2, 4.4, 4.6 GHz, etc. Should I even try though to see if it sets reasonable settings, or should I do it manually?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Preset overclock settings are fine if you don't want to do it manually, but may result in too-high voltages/temperatures or may not be stable, since chips vary quite a bit in what they need for a particular clock speed.

Tomahawk posted:

Except I used ratio limit of 45x. Is there anything else I need to change? I downloaded HWinfo64 and I see my core ratios jumping between 45x and 16x an awful lot. I don't know what I'm doing or if this is even working. :confused:

Make sure your CPU's temperatures stay reasonable, and run a stability test to make sure everything is stable. 45x is in the range where you can't assume that "auto" settings will be sufficient.

zenintrude posted:

[edit] Quick question... even though I enabled PCIE GEN3 in my BIOS, the bus interface in GPU-Z comes up as "PCI-E 3.0x16 @ x16 1.1"... running the render test changes it to "PCI-E 3.0x16 @ x16 3.0" but restarting GPU-Z returns it to "PCI-E 3.0x16 @ x16 1.1" is this normal?

Yeah, that's normal. It's a power-saving feature. It's downclocking the PCIe bus when not under load.

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS

Factory Factory posted:

Make sure your CPU's temperatures stay reasonable, and run a stability test to make sure everything is stable. 45x is in the range where you can't assume that "auto" settings will be sufficient.
I see that my max for vcore is looking kinda high.

Safe to say I should change some things?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Yes.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I should probably see how load voltage and temperatures are at stock settings first:

Looks good. Let's do this! I'm going straight to 4.4 GHz first: :pcgaming:

Voltage looks good at 1.25V and temperature settled in at the high 60s.

So, how about 4.6 GHz? :getin:

Hot drat look at that voltage! Look at that CPU temperature! :ohdear:

Despite seemingly being stable in linpack, there's now way in hell I'm leaving it at 4.6 GHz, so I've gone back down to 4.4 GHz and will stay there. I can't believe how easy that was. Keep in mind this is a mini-ITX motherboard.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

gently caress it. 4.6 GHz is stable and doesn't send temps or voltages nearly as high when doing anything else that isn't linpack. I'm rolling with 4.6 until I see scary temps or BSODs.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 07:31 on May 11, 2012

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.
For me 4.6ghz was stable, but the cpu temps push fans into loud mode. I settled on 4.4 at around 1.24V and temps in the low 60s. I don't think I'll miss 100-200mhz from pushing it hard.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

soru posted:

For me 4.6ghz was stable, but the cpu temps push fans into loud mode. I settled on 4.4 at around 1.24V and temps in the low 60s. I don't think I'll miss 100-200mhz from pushing it hard.
My CPU fan is running at full speed because I haven't figured out Asrock's bizarre fan scaling yet. Luckily it's a 140mm Noctua that spins at 1200 RPM so it's not terribly loud anyway.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

My CPU fan is running at full speed because I haven't figured out Asrock's bizarre fan scaling yet. Luckily it's a 140mm Noctua that spins at 1200 RPM so it's not terribly loud anyway.

Hey, Noctua buddy. :hfive:

Try a 0.100 volt offset. That landed me at 1.3V VCore, and I can go over 4.5 GHz without hitting 70C temps.

Pilkington
Nov 5, 2005

You see, the other raptors and I have constructed a crude suspension bridge to Venezuela
I'm looking to overclock my i5-750 and it would seem, based on the guides I quickly googled, that it is slightly more complicated than changing the multiplier to 42 and have fun. I've read through the 3-step overclocking guide in the OP, but parts of the information are specific to certain CPUs ie. not Lynnfield. Is there a recommended overclock walkthrough for my processor? Using an MSI P55M-GD45 if it makes a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Is it normal to have a fairly consistent 10 degree difference between cores at idle on IB? Or did I gently caress up my thermal paste application?