Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Quad posted:

Now that someone brought it up, I've found about 5 references o spanking or switching so far in tFoH. So many threatened butts. :(

Tempted to go through the series and count just how much spanking there was, or who did/got the most spankings.

I vaguely recall Sanderson also mentioned he was uncomfortable with the specific instructions on writing a spanking scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

veekie posted:

Tempted to go through the series and count just how much spanking there was, or who did/got the most spankings.

I vaguely recall Sanderson also mentioned he was uncomfortable with the specific instructions on writing a spanking scene.

Egwene got the most spankings, both in total and described.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
I guess the mistress of novices dished out the most I guess. Though which one dealt more is in question.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Book 7 stuff:

Book 7 starts off really great with Rand's return to Carhien where he takes the crown off Colavaere's head, crumples it, then re-forms it. "Anything that is done, can be undone." :black101:

Then we switch Egwene on the march and holy crap do I want to fall asleep reading. I know its important to show that Egwene has to struggle to earn the respect of the other Aes Sedai as a newly raised Amyrlin, and its nice to see Lan finally return, but holy crap nothing really interesting happens here. Though aparently Myrelle has to gently caress Lan in order to keep him from killing himself over Moiraine's death, so I guess thats something.
:what:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Myrelle is real, real bad and Nynaeve giving her the business immediately after attaining the shawl was unironically one of my favorite parts of ToM.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Willie Tomg posted:

Myrelle is real, real bad and Nynaeve giving her the business immediately after attaining the shawl was unironically one of my favorite parts of ToM.

What's so bad about Myrelle?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Two Finger posted:

What's so bad about Myrelle?

Well, she gives into blackmail, refuses to listen to people who obviously know better than she does, and refuses to pass Lan's bond to Nynaeve even after Nynaeve marries him. On top of which, her vagina has magical sanity-resuscitating powers that at one point she was bestowing on four or five guys simultaneously - and she was also looking to bond Mat as a Warder to make it six. Apart from that, though, there's nothing wrong with Myrelle.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Neurosis posted:

Further, the one warfare based technological improvement I can remember aside from gunpowder as occurring during the series - an improved loader for a crossbow - was actually around from the 12th century. The absence of gunpowder - around since the early 14th century in the real world - is also distinctive. Of course, Jordan's timeline of tech brings together different things from different eras into a hodepodge. I think the most distinctive thing from Renaissance warfare in WoT is the presence of professional armies, which were associated in Europe with a period after the Peace of Westphalia. As to the swords - we see more swordsmen than just Rand and Lan, and shields are notably absent. I actually find the presence of katana-like blades a little odd given that plate armour seems fairly common, and katanas would snap even on softer armour than that. That might not apply to Rand and Lan's swords, obviously, since they are power-forged, but a thrusting end would have helped dealing with heavily armoured foes.
First of all, the only katana type blades floating around are powerwrought weapons. Most nations used straight blades.

You can see what each nation use here
http://www.personal.ars-informatica.ca/paul/wot/wot.htm

As for the crossbow, the Band's crossbows are far more effective than any medieval crossbow known. It's questionable that it could be done even with 17-18th century technology, but no one ever tried so we don't know.

Also, someone said previously that the Westlands is the size Europe. It's significantly larger. Between the Waste and the Aryth Ocean, and the Blight and the Sea of Storms lies roughly 6 million sq miles. (15.5million sq km)

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 12:44 on May 10, 2012

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ugh, I forgot Cadsuane shows up in book 7. PHAW!!!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

As for the crossbow, the Band's crossbows are far more effective than any medieval crossbow known. It's questionable that it could be done even with 17-18th century technology, but no one ever tried so we don't know.

It seems unlikely, because it can't be done with 21st century technology. The required procedure is to lower the bow, attach the windlass cables to the string, crank the windlass until the bow latches, unattach the windlass cables, draw and fit the next bolt, then raise to the shoulder for firing.

The Band are meant to be able to launch a volley every eight seconds. You can't do that with without a powered cranking mechanism integrated into the bow, which removes several steps of the process including the time-consuming reconnection of the windlass.

e: Cartoon Man, do not dis Hell's Grannies.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Jedit posted:

It seems unlikely, because it can't be done with 21st century technology. The required procedure is to lower the bow, attach the windlass cables to the string, crank the windlass until the bow latches, unattach the windlass cables, draw and fit the next bolt, then raise to the shoulder for firing.

The Band are meant to be able to launch a volley every eight seconds. You can't do that with without a powered cranking mechanism integrated into the bow, which removes several steps of the process including the time-consuming reconnection of the windlass.

what about with a repeating crossbow, like the chinese used? that's what I always imagined when I pictured the band's new crossbows

Recursive Expanse
May 4, 2011
When they say they could launch a volley every 8 seconds, is that supposed to be a volley of quarrels launched by every crossbow, or could it be successive lines firing in a synchronous order? I imagine it could be possible if there are two or maybe three lines firing with the right timing. The advantage then wouldn't be in the number of bolts coming out at once, but instead there would be less firing at a near constant rate.

Well, I might have the idea of how the volume of fire would come out backwards somewhere.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Recursive Expanse posted:

When they say they could launch a volley every 8 seconds, is that supposed to be a volley of quarrels launched by every crossbow, or could it be successive lines firing in a synchronous order?

It's specifically stated that each crossbowman is able to fire every eight seconds. The description of what happens is detailed enough that we also know it's not a repeating crossbow - though there is no mention of the bows being reloaded, only rearmed, which is another mistake.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

The Lord Bude posted:

what about with a repeating crossbow, like the chinese used? that's what I always imagined when I pictured the band's new crossbows

The Chinese repeating crossbows are fundamentally magazine loaders, which reduces the time taken in fetching and placing a bolt. It couples well with improved winding mechanisms though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I'm going to ret-conn this issue in my head as a transcription error and he's actually referring to volleys.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Jedit posted:

What specifically do you mean by "powered"?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Charlz Guybon posted:

Like a battery-powered motor crank, I assume.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

I mean motorised, sorry.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Jedit posted:

I mean motorised, sorry.

Ok. Well I was just thinking that artisans in 1700 would be able to make a faster firing crossbow than artisans in 1400. Their knowledge of metallurgy, mechanics, springs, gears, etc is much greater. Maybe not 8 shots a minute great but better than two. Given our advanced material science today, I'd be really surprised if we couldn't make an unpowered crossbow that does.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Charlz Guybon posted:

Also, someone said previously that the Westlands is the size Europe. It's significantly larger. Between the Waste and the Aryth Ocean, and the Blight and the Sea of Storms lies roughly 6 million sq miles. (15.5million sq km)

That was me. I was wrong.

I did some more research and it's about the size of the United States, or slightly smaller than Europe.

http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Westlands#Size

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Charlz Guybon posted:

Ok. Well I was just thinking that artisans in 1700 would be able to make a faster firing crossbow than artisans in 1400. Their knowledge of metallurgy, mechanics, springs, gears, etc is much greater. Maybe not 8 shots a minute great but better than two. Given our advanced material science today, I'd be really surprised if we couldn't make an unpowered crossbow that does.

Well, theres an upper limit, ultimately, any crossbow works on muscle or stored power, so any increased loading times either involves improved force application(maybe you can make a mechanism to transfer force from your legs to a crossbow in some kind of exercisebikelauncher), or decreased bolt power.

Or you could make bolt magazines with replaceable spring cartridges but at that point its just a clockpunk gun.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

ConfusedUs posted:

That was me. I was wrong.

I did some more research and it's about the size of the United States, or slightly smaller than Europe.

http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Westlands#Size

The width across is similar, but it's twice as deep, making the area double that of the lower 48 states. 3,000~ miles from waste to the Ayrth * 2,000~ miles from the Blight to the Sea of Storms = 6,000,000 sq. miles

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 13:38 on May 11, 2012

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

It's not a limit of metallurgy, though, but of design. Windlasses don't let you reload faster; in fact, it's slower to reload a windlass crossbow than a hand-drawn one. What the windlass does is add mechanical strength to your draw, allowing you to use a crossbow that is more powerful than you could draw by hand. This drastically increases range and penetration, but at a cost to rate of fire.

It's also windlass crossbows that give the myth that crossbows only fire twice a minute. A strong, skilled arbelist with a medium strength hand-drawn bow could get a shot off every eight or ten seconds. It just wouldn't have the same power, and an effective range of only 100 yards or so.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Jedit posted:

It's not a limit of metallurgy, though, but of design. Windlasses don't let you reload faster; in fact, it's slower to reload a windlass crossbow than a hand-drawn one. What the windlass does is add mechanical strength to your draw, allowing you to use a crossbow that is more powerful than you could draw by hand. This drastically increases range and penetration, but at a cost to rate of fire.

It's also windlass crossbows that give the myth that crossbows only fire twice a minute. A strong, skilled arbelist with a medium strength hand-drawn bow could get a shot off every eight or ten seconds. It just wouldn't have the same power, and an effective range of only 100 yards or so.
Wouldn't the stirrup allow you to draw stronger bows since you're using your leg.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
It would, but you lose time in raising the crossbow back to level again, as well as losing time on reacquiring aim.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Charlz Guybon posted:

The width across is similar, but it's twice as deep, making the area double that of the lower 48 states. 3,000~ miles from waste to the Ayrth * 2,000~ miles from the Blight to the Sea of Storms = 6,000,000 sq. miles

are these real world miles or in world miles? because If I remember correctly the unit of measurement that Randlanders refer to as a mile is not the same as a real world mile, just like a Randland week is 10 days not 7

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Well you're just going to have to get over that.

The Lord Bude posted:

just like a Randland week is 10 days not 7

:aaaaa:

I had no idea. Seriously, how did I miss that?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

are these real world miles or in world miles? because If I remember correctly the unit of measurement that Randlanders refer to as a mile is not the same as a real world mile, just like a Randland week is 10 days not 7

According to this a Randland foot is about 11", 6,000 ft to the mile. So that's slightly longer than a real mile.
https://www.personal.ars-informatica.ca/paul/wot/wot.php?page=measures

Also, back in the day I measured the circumference of the Earth in the BWB and it was the same as the real Earth, so the 3,000 by 2,000 is representative of real world distances.

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 11, 2012

Recursive Expanse
May 4, 2011
Wasn't there a type of crossbow in the 1600-1700's that required two people to load, but still was able to load ridiculously fast? I might be mixing up my medieval weapons/tactics but there was one who's use was banned by the popes for being too fast and powerful. Anyone know what I'm thinking of? I just know it had some weird and effective gimmick, I think the ideas behind new crossbow designs that were similar to this were only dropped when Gunpowder became a thing.

Also, should this discussion be in the spoiler thread?

This is teetering on awesome details that are soon to come.

some spoilers from various books-

If I can find that crossbow design, then I just noticed how similar and fast Mat's tactical, technical, and logistical are progressing along our own historical track. He went from using Phalanxes/medium calvary (Like Alexander, minus the chariots) to creating the Roman Legion, and putting together forces of seemingly Chinese inspired Arbelists. I believe he's now starting to use a more modern military command structure, and is extremely proficient in gorilla tactics. Now the next step is gunpowder. All he needs is a navy (a nice deal with the Sea Folk) and To/Rakken for more modern style air-cavalry and the Shadow (or the world) doesn't stand a chance.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

...is extremely proficient in gorilla tactics.

Now all I can picture is a tactic of running at someone while shouting and pounding your chest, then throwing poo poo at them, which he'd probably use if he had them.

It's "guerilla".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Wasn't there a type of crossbow in the 1600-1700's that required two people to load, but still was able to load ridiculously fast? I might be mixing up my medieval weapons/tactics but there was one who's use was banned by the popes for being too fast and powerful. Anyone know what I'm thinking of? I just know it had some weird and effective gimmick,

Yes, it was called "being a crossbow". Urban II banned them outright in 1097.

For everything else about the crossbow, it's probably worth looking through The Crossbow, written by Sir Ralph Payne-Gallwey in the early 20th century. It's pretty drat comprehensive and includes a lot of interesting information.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The Lord Bude posted:

All is explained: Randland seconds are longer

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare
So I just finished Book 6 and I have a couple of questions: I understand how Taim figured out Rand had been captured, but how did he know to gate exactly to Dumai's Wells? Also, Min's vision implied that Perrin had to help Rand (twice) or he would die, and is seems to be implied this was one of those cases, but as far as I can tell, the Asha'man could have saved Rand all by themselves. I don't see what contribution Perrin and his army really made.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

werdnam posted:

So I just finished Book 6 and I have a couple of questions: I understand how Taim figured out Rand had been captured, but how did he know to gate exactly to Dumai's Wells? Also, Min's vision implied that Perrin had to help Rand (twice) or he would die, and is seems to be implied this was one of those cases, but as far as I can tell, the Asha'man could have saved Rand all by themselves. I don't see what contribution Perrin and his army really made.

Book *woops this isn't 6 but much later* spoilers:
Taim is a darkfriend and Rand was kidnapped by darkfriends. One of his contacts probably told him, or even a Forsaken.

As for Perrin, the wolves threw the Aiel quite a bit off balance. Without that, the Asha'man forces may have had a lot more trouble, even with their head exploding and earthquaking.

Kruller fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 12, 2012

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Woah, dude. You can't definitely figure out the first bit just from book six. It's heavily hinted at but not proven until later on. Erase that.

Hobbes24
Oct 26, 2004
Book 6 spoiler: Boy is Alannah going to be sorry she did that!

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Started reading this series to try and fill in time til the next ASOIAF book comes out, am now hopelessly addicted 40% of the way through book 2, just bought the entire series on my Kindle. I may be finished the series before the end of the year.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Fanelien posted:

Started reading this series to try and fill in time til the next ASOIAF book comes out, am now hopelessly addicted 40% of the way through book 2, just bought the entire series on my Kindle. I may be finished the series before the end of the year.

They are really engaging books. The only thing that breaks the immersion for me is reading WoT idioms. They really take me out of the story. Oh and whenever a woman is an unreasonable bitch, which is a subset of 'WoT idioms' I guess.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Yeah, it's funny to me to see how many people are going to WoT from ASoIaF when for many years it was the other way around -- Martin's series got its start because of positive jacket quotes from Jordan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
So we have now finished The Fires of Heaven, which was an awesome read! Time for book six, Lord of Chaos. Is this where Dumai's Wells happens? I can't wait!

This week Lord of Chaos, prologue - chapter 8.

It's a giant prologue too. Forgot about these.

• Locked thread