Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Brother Entropy posted:

This is about the least newsworthy thing a person could say.

A person said he might do something if someone else does something.

That's what that quote sounds like, ultimately its not up to Meguro since he does the sound and from what I see, the high school poo poo is what sells, I doubt P5 will a dramatic departure for the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedBoot
Jul 12, 2003

The Ass Hand: Evolution's Greatest Triumph

Nessa posted:

Talking about a Persona 5 being different from Persona 3 and 4 has me a little worried. I couldn't stand Persona 2, so I'd rather they stick to the format of 3 and 4.

I doubt the gameplay format will change that much. It'll probably still have Social Links and time/scheduling, at least. This is Atlus's first HD Megaten, so I think they'll play it reasonably safe.

Now, the storyline and style could certainly change. To be honest, a game that plays like Persona 3/4 but has a storyline and characters more like Persona 1/2(s) is what I'd like to see.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

RedBoot posted:

I doubt the gameplay format will change that much. It'll probably still have Social Links and time/scheduling, at least. This is Atlus's first HD Megaten, so I think they'll play it reasonably safe.

Now, the storyline and style could certainly change. To be honest, a game that plays like Persona 3/4 but has a storyline and characters more like Persona 1/2(s) is what I'd like to see.

I just find the Ibunroku Series very counterproductive to the original SMT series. The thing with SMT series is how it is a matter of "pick your flavor of impending doom of humanity" and it never gives you an escapist solution. But with Overclocked, even the Law and Yuzu's ending can have a satisfying conclusion now compared to before. And with Persona and Devil Survivor being vastly more popular due to what is effectively fanart material, somewhat childish ways to solve problems I have felt SMT had lost its way as it's spinoffs are more popular than the base series

I agree, Kaneko needs to be do the designs again, DeSu just shows what they are trying to do, which is make the female cast merely fanservice bait.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Cityinthesea posted:

The only one I'd say that was really bad was the second Persona 4 anime opening. the others were just kinda silly.

although the 2nd opening was really funny so maybe they should just continue to make the english terrible.

I WILL
STRIP SEARCH
IF I HAVE TO

I will never understand why they're so intent on using these unintelligible songs.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

gyrobot posted:

I just find the Ibunroku Series very counterproductive to the original SMT series. The thing with SMT series is how it is a matter of "pick your flavor of impending doom of humanity" and it never gives you an escapist solution. But with Overclocked, even the Law and Yuzu's ending can have a satisfying conclusion now compared to before. And with Persona and Devil Survivor being vastly more popular due to what is effectively fanart material, somewhat childish ways to solve problems I have felt SMT had lost its way as it's spinoffs are more popular than the base series

I agree, Kaneko needs to be do the designs again, DeSu just shows what they are trying to do, which is make the female cast merely fanservice bait.

To be honest, a hopeless story does not make for a complelling journey. Why bother when whatever you do, mankind is hosed? I found the original DeSu's endings to be a step in the right direction, actually: If you picked the Law/Chaos paths, mankind is changed, by not gutted out of its humanity, the two neutral endings point out their own dangers, and Yuzu's is the "You screwed up, as we told you you would if you acted this way, idiot" ending. Then of course, Overclocked had to step in and defang this ending. What is your opinion on the Neutral paths, though? They usually are pretty escapist in nature, even in grim'ol mainline serie: You avert the the end of times, at least for a while and slaughter the fools that wanted Law or Chaos to triumph.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

For those who are curious, the trophy list for Persona 4 Golden is out. Unfortunately, all the names and descriptions are in Japanese so I don't know what they are and since I haven't played P4 I have no idea whether or not any are spoilers (and I don't really want to see for myself)

The pictures look kinda cool though.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Policenaut posted:

For those who are curious, the trophy list for Persona 4 Golden is out. Unfortunately, all the names and descriptions are in Japanese so I don't know what they are and since I haven't played P4 I have no idea whether or not any are spoilers (and I don't really want to see for myself)

There are spoilers for P4's original ending in there. Other than that, there are some trophies related to new game mechanics and locations (some of which I don't think I've heard about before), as well as at least one plot point spoiler for the new stuff.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Momomo posted:

I WILL
STRIP SEARCH
IF I HAVE TO

I will never understand why they're so intent on using these unintelligible songs.

You know that almost no one involved with making the game speaks fluent English, right?

Why would they even bother when almost no one who makes or plays the game can tell the difference? Even though the U.S. has like 2.5 times the population of Japan, they domestic sales are still like nearly 3 times more than western sales. If English players wanted Atlus to give a poo poo about them, they would have bought Persona 4.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
I like listening to the singer talk about the time she kicked a puppy during sunny days. :colbert:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Japanese Engrish is the best, I hope they never change it.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Rascyc posted:

Japanese Engrish is the best, I hope they never change it.

There is a part in P2 IS where they reference jpop having english parts. Since I don't sit around listening to jpop, is this common?

I preffered the first intro song in P4 The Animation. It made me sad when they changed it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Pierce posted:

There is a part in P2 IS where they reference jpop having english parts. Since I don't sit around listening to jpop, is this common?

So common. Not just jpop either. I'm belting out some tunes in, say, Yakuza's karaoke and there's just random english phrases thrown in everywhere.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

They gave Rise a few new tricks in Persona 4 the Golden, which is neat, for those not wanting to click the link/see pictures

Rise can now teleport in for all out attacks
Rise Check to do a full scan of enemies before you even start fighting
If a enemy knocks the protag down she'll pick him back up

Sounds pretty neat to me

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Iceclaw posted:

To be honest, a hopeless story does not make for a complelling journey. Why bother when whatever you do, mankind is hosed? I found the original DeSu's endings to be a step in the right direction, actually: If you picked the Law/Chaos paths, mankind is changed, by not gutted out of its humanity, the two neutral endings point out their own dangers, and Yuzu's is the "You screwed up, as we told you you would if you acted this way, idiot" ending. Then of course, Overclocked had to step in and defang this ending. What is your opinion on the Neutral paths, though? They usually are pretty escapist in nature, even in grim'ol mainline serie: You avert the the end of times, at least for a while and slaughter the fools that wanted Law or Chaos to triumph.

The Neutral paths a generally a cautionary sign of "we better be careful lest the primordial nature of law and chaos ravage the land again" rather than "yeah, we learned something." And Law's ending was also defanged in Devil Survivor where humanity lives moral lives on their own rather than on the whims of being threatened by god and hell some of the chaotic demon decides to work with law to help improve society

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

gyrobot posted:

The Neutral paths a generally a cautionary sign of "we better be careful lest the primordial nature of law and chaos ravage the land again" rather than "yeah, we learned something." And Law's ending was also defanged in Devil Survivor where humanity lives moral lives on their own rather than on the whims of being threatened by god and hell some of the chaotic demon decides to work with law to help improve society

Not quite: It's mentionned that humanity behaves also out of fear that the MC may unleash his wrath on them. But yeah, it's a step up compared to the usual Law ending which is "Mankind lost any capacity for thoughts that arent "God is a swell guy"". Which is what I refered to as mankind being gutted of its humanity.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, Overclock really went out of its way to defang endings. I thought it was pretty lame that they went that far. The original Law ending was honestly pretty chilling while the new one... meh.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
A friend was watching me play Devil Survivor 2 and commented, "Al Saiduq? What a stupid name." Now I can't think of anything but Al :psyduck:

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.

Pierce posted:

Yes, and like the other guy said, not just in jpop. Hell random english is loving everywhere, they have a massive boner for it. It's like Westerners who love the poo poo out of random Latin because it sounds cool, even though it's usually always incorrect.

That's pretty much exactly why they keep it and why any other country loves another's language and uses it incorrectly: it sounds really neat to them, they don't recognize how ridiculous and stupid it is to a native speaker.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I honestly just hope that Persona 5 is filled with tons of Smooth Jazz.

But, the fact that I've been playing Gran Turismo 5 lately is probably influencing my decision right now.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I warned you about stairs, Keita! I told you dog! (Has someone made an edit like that? Someone should.)

Sure, i reloaded after seeing it, but drat if it wasn't satisfying. :gbsmith:

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, Overclock really went out of its way to defang endings. I thought it was pretty lame that they went that far. The original Law ending was honestly pretty chilling while the new one... meh.

The Chaos ending makes up for it however.

But yeah, I wish Kaneko is the designer for the next persona game. Soejima isn't bad mind you, but people love Soejima and Suzuhito's designs more than Kaneko's

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Pierce posted:

I preffered the first intro song in P4 The Animation. It made me sad when they changed it.

I listen to a fair amount of J-pop and it's pretty common, yeah. Sometimes a whole chorus will be in English. (Just Be Friends)

That Persona 5 YouTube channel also has some stuff on "Iwatodai Radio" that's half Japanese / half English.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

gyrobot posted:

But yeah, I wish Kaneko is the designer for the next persona game. Soejima isn't bad mind you, but people love Soejima and Suzuhito's designs more than Kaneko's

I thought people were horrified by Suzuhito's designs. At least maybe I assumed people who had eyes did.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Neeksy posted:

I thought people were horrified by Suzuhito's designs. At least maybe I assumed people who had eyes did.

Suzuhito's designs are good for doujin fodder, nothing more. The chicks are specifically designed to say "HEY DRAW PERVERTED FANART OF US!" above all else.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Neeksy posted:

I dunno. I've only played DS2, and not DS1 (which, from a brief glance, seems to have really mediocre designs) but DS2 has some pretty good character design. If it wasn't for his fondness for non-euclidean breasts and his amazingly terrible clothing decisions for the female characters, he'd be great. If someone would mail him a book on female anatomy and maybe a strongly-worded letter telling him to not be such a god damned pervert, he'd certainly be better than Soejima. Not that that's a very high bar, though. But as it stands, he's really good at making male characters, and then female characters just become vessels of fanservice. It's really creepy.

In conclusion, Kaneko is still number one. And what Atlus SHOULD do is bring back Tsukasa Masuko. I'm honestly getting a bit tired of Meguro's music. Or they can at least let Kenji Ito make some more soundtracks.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

gyrobot posted:

How did they 'defang' the Chaos ending? I can't really think of any way to make it 'better' that doesn't ruin the entire point of the route in the first place.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Technique posted:

I dunno. I've only played DS2, and not DS1 (which, from a brief glance, seems to have really mediocre designs) but DS2 has some pretty good character design. If it wasn't for his fondness for non-euclidean breasts and his amazingly terrible clothing decisions for the female characters, he'd be great. If someone would mail him a book on female anatomy and maybe a strongly-worded letter telling him to not be such a god damned pervert, he'd certainly be better than Soejima. Not that that's a very high bar, though. But as it stands, he's really good at making male characters, and then female characters just become vessels of fanservice. It's really creepy.

He's also had other problems with anatomy (especially hands, fingers and posture) and with perspective. And it seems he can only draw one or two faces across everything he does (I know it's a staple of stylized art, but he takes facial templating to an extreme). I can understand you liking his art style, but technically he's fairly incompetent.

Also don't understand why you think Soejima sets such a low standard.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 16:50 on May 10, 2012

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Rinkles posted:

He's also had other problems with anatomy (especially hands, fingers and posture) and with perspective. And it seems he can only draw one or two faces across everything he does (I know it's a staple of stylized art, but he takes facial templating to an extreme). I can understand you liking his art style, but technically he's fairly incompetent.

Also don't understand why you think Soejima sets such a low standard.

You're definitely right when it comes to anatomy, but i think he has much better face-variation than most anime artists. There are a couple of glaring cases (Yamato and Naoya, separated at birth???), but all in all he's not that bad at it. He's not Akira Toriyama, at least. :v:

And my dislike for Soejima is mostly just personal taste. There's just something about his style that i find pretty off-putting.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Personally I liked it when Kaneko did the initial character designs, but the in game art was actually done by Soejima.

Pierce
Apr 7, 2007

Fool!

Technique posted:

You're definitely right when it comes to anatomy, but i think he has much better face-variation than most anime artists. There are a couple of glaring cases (Yamato and Naoya, separated at birth???), but all in all he's not that bad at it. He's not Akira Toriyama, at least. :v:

And my dislike for Soejima is mostly just personal taste. There's just something about his style that i find pretty off-putting.

I've got a feeling the budget was extremely limited on DS2 hence the recycled scenery and various character protraits.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

http://wikimon.net/Digimon_World_Re:Digitize

He must have really liked Female Tico.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Technique posted:

not be such a god damned pervert,

Suzuhito Yasuda (Devil Survivor artist) was inspired by Range Murata, sooooo....

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Technique posted:

But as it stands, he's really good at making male characters, and then female characters just become vessels of fanservice. It's really creepy.

Playing Devil Survivor 1 and Devil Survivor I, was always under the impression that a lot of the male characters were designed to be fujioshi bait vessels of fanservice for the female fans, too. Especially Yamato from DS2, good God. I actually started laughing when I saw his design.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Catalina posted:

Playing Devil Survivor 1 and Devil Survivor I, was always under the impression that a lot of the male characters were designed to be fujioshi bait vessels of fanservice for the female fans, too. Especially Yamato from DS2, good God. I actually started laughing when I saw his design.

Yamato owns like hell anyway. :colbert:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Catalina posted:

He's just Naoya with a slightly different hair color and a weird outfit, though?

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

King of Solomon posted:

He's just Naoya with a slightly different hair color and a weird outfit, though?

Are you saying you didn't find Naoya dreamy? :nyoron:

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
DS2 is the first game that had me actually embarrassed for people to see me playing it, solely because of the horrid character designs.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

It's not the design itself or the personality of the character that made me laugh, just what was funny to me was the way Yamato was designed and treats the MC gives a really strong impression of "Hey ladies :smug:" aimed at fangirls. (Especially the ones interested in "Boys Love") I dunno, it seems really blatant pandering to me, kind of like a opposite-sex equivalent of the giant boobs on the female characters.

Justice posted:

Are you saying you didn't find Naoya dreamy? :nyoron:

As for myself, I claim the fifth, and refuse to allow my Shin Megami Tensei fanart folder to be used as evidence.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Catalina posted:

It's not the design itself or the personality of the character that made me laugh, just what was funny to me was the way Yamato was designed and treats the MC gives a really strong impression of "Hey ladies :smug:" aimed at fangirls. (Especially the ones interested in "Boys Love") I dunno, it seems really blatant pandering to me, kind of like a opposite-sex equivalent of the giant boobs on the female characters.

As for myself, I claim the fifth, and refuse to allow my Shin Megami Tensei fanart folder to be used as evidence.

I personally pray to god that Persona 5 has man-bulge in every pair of slacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Technique posted:

This has me incredibly confused. You're saying that the artist who designs respectful looking female characters is "off-putting" and the one who draws fanservice is great?

I picked up the Soejima art-book and the Persona 4 Visual Data book recently and that man is a god. I want to be able to draw like that and I am inspired by his art every time I look at it.