Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally

Gary the Llama posted:

Don't think I've posted in this thread yet but I'm a long-time lurker. I've been a software developer in the business world for 6 years. While I've worked on some fun projects and with a lot of good people, it's not my passion. After having lunch with John Romero and Brenda Brathwaite last year they encouraged me to switch to games since that's where my passion was. They even told me to apply at Loot Drop and move to San Francisco. At the time I just laughed. I have a wife and two kids. Uprooting a family seemed insane.

But now it doesn't seem so insane. After talking with my wife, we've decided to do it. I won't be moving until I secure a position, so I thought I would put out feelers in this thread.

All my "professional" experience has been in the .NET world though I recently switched to a PHP gig and I'm really enjoying it. (I won't bother boring you with all the technologies I've worked with here.) I also do a lot of side projects, mostly dabbling in games (ActionScript/FlashPunk, C#/XNA, a bit of C++ and DirectX). I wouldn't mind sticking with what I know and joining a social or mobile games company. Tools or web dev would be just fine with me for starters.

Does anyone know of any positions that may be a good fit for me in the San Francisco area? (Doesn't have to be in city, we'll probably look to moving north of the city anyway.) Any other advice would be great.

Sending you a PM!

also to anyone else looking for work: I'm at a well-funded startup, we have ~23 employees right now and are hiring gameplay, tools, and ui engineers, as well as digital and ui artists. Also I think a producer/designer hybrid kind of role, or maybe that's two jobs. If you're interested, let me know. We're in San Francisco (downtown). Mobile/Social on iOS and Android.

milquetoast child fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 9, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djkillingspree
Apr 2, 2001
make a hole with a gun perpendicular

Aliginge posted:

I know! It doesn't even have the mad roboto vending machine with the claws! or the donut bomb

We have one of those stupid robo vending machines here. It is really novel the first time you see it but then you realize it takes about 10x as long to get a soda as a normal machine and you just get mad.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

djkillingspree posted:

We have one of those stupid robo vending machines here. It is really novel the first time you see it but then you realize it takes about 10x as long to get a soda as a normal machine and you just get mad.
It's not that kind of vending machine; the claws aren't strictly functional.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Hey, Android / iOS devs, what are your desk sorting solutions for devices? I feel like I need a better solution than phones and tablets everywhere.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

I love claw vendors. They may take slightly longer to deliver a drink, but if I'm getting a carbonated beverage I don't have to wait twice as long for it to not fizz up over the cap.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
Better yet is just a fridge filled with everything you want. No claws or shaking involved.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Or stop treating your body like poo poo and drink water instead of fizzy, sugary crap. :c00lbert:

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Jan posted:

Or stop treating your body like poo poo and drink water instead of fizzy, sugary crap. :c00lbert:

That's what I was going to say. Preventative care y'all!

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

With the hours I've been putting in lately it's a good thing there aren't any vending machines near me selling hard liquor. Forgive me my root beer sins.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

I never drink soda, and drink tons of water.

But that's just so I can drink more booze later, probably doesn't quite even out.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Scotch is a perfectly acceptable substitute for water. You got me figured out.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm on the "switched to diet" part of the quitting soda process. I wont get fat (directly) from soda, but I'll be getting chemical cancer later!

Edit: I literally never drink alcohol, though, so I have that going for me perhaps.

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

mutata posted:

Edit: I literally never drink alcohol, though, so I have that going for me perhaps.

We have a beer fridge.
And wine/hard liquor in the cabinets.

:negative:

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Truspeaker posted:

I never drink soda, and drink tons of water.

I stopped drinking soda regularly when I got here, I dropped 30 pounds since August :dance:

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

I stopped drinking soda regularly when I got here, I dropped 30 pounds since August :dance:

:hfive: It has definitely done wonders for my body. The drinking at least costs money, unlike the soda which is free in unlimited quantities in the break room. Thank golly I quit soda before the company moved into that place.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

mutata posted:

I'm on the "switched to diet" part of the quitting soda process. I wont get fat (directly) from soda, but I'll be getting chemical cancer later!

There's always Perrier. It's carbonated and you slowly start to like it's horrible taste!

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

mutata posted:

You'll also crave carbs, and generally speaking have a harder time losing weight than you would if you just cut soda entirely.

Sucks, I know. But trust me, stay away from it long enough, and you'll wonder how you ever stomached the stuff.

... these days, the only sodas I can drink are the really, really nice ones with cane sugar / not a ridiculous amount of carbonation. Anything else tears through my guts like battery acide.

Well, those, and ginger beer. God bless ginger beer.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Shalinor posted:

You'll also crave carbs, and generally speaking have a harder time losing weight than you would if you just cut soda entirely.

Sucks, I know. But trust me, stay away from it long enough, and you'll wonder how you ever stomached the stuff.

... these days, the only sodas I can drink are the really, really nice ones with cane sugar / not a ridiculous amount of carbonation. Anything else tears through my guts like battery acide.

Well, those, and ginger beer. God bless ginger beer.

I said it was a process :mad:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

mutata posted:

Far be it for me to judge - I was once precisely where you were, drinking Code Red Mountain Dew by the 12-pack. I switched to diet. Didn't really help in the end, though, and I just had to cut it out entirely.

... now it just burns my tongue. It's kind of like McDonalds - I remember enjoying it, but what it is is not what I remember :sigh:

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

mutata posted:

The best thing really is to go cold turkey. Stop buying soda at home and get a brita filter. Every time you want soda, get water.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Well, doing poorly in my interview led to me not getting a job I was excited about. That's sort of what I expected, and I'm sure I'll do better next time, but it's still a bummer.

In the meantime at least I have steady work as a design contractor, and although it has been a while since a game I worked on was actually released in some fashion, it seems like I finally have a chance to work on something that will eventually see the light of day.

That feels nice.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

You guys are all assuming I want to stop, though. I love it so.. :(

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
So, anyone know the proper etiquette for re-submitting a game to steam? I admit the first go was kind of alpha-ish, but once we're further along I bet they'll take it... :arghfist::smith:

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

Despite us having unlimited soda in the fridge, I've finally managed to get myself onto a 1-2 can a day habit instead of going through probably at least 6 cans a day of Dr Pepper. I've supplanted it with tea instead (although it's still sweetened), and it's definitely helped. I've also started buying the cane sugar Dr Pepper for home, since if I only have one a day max, it's not so horribly expensive, and it's so much better.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I drink water at work. Delicious water. There are loads of bottles of variously flavoured fruit squashes at every water fountain but I am saved from temptation because they're all 'no added sugar' ie. full of vile-tasting artificial sweeteners.

On cold days I occasionally have a hot chocolate from the coffee machines, but sometimes I forget to clean my mug out afterwards and then I go on holiday for a week and on my return am greeted by a mugful of unspeakable horrors :(

(That happened this week. The cleaners never steal my mug when it's dirty, only when it's already clean.)

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

mastermind2004 posted:

Despite us having unlimited soda in the fridge, I've finally managed to get myself onto a 1-2 can a day habit instead of going through probably at least 6 cans a day of Dr Pepper. I've supplanted it with tea instead (although it's still sweetened), and it's definitely helped. I've also started buying the cane sugar Dr Pepper for home, since if I only have one a day max, it's not so horribly expensive, and it's so much better.
Try Splenda for the tea. Works pretty well, doesn't have any notable medical downsides.

Stevia's another good option, but... bluh. It doesn't taste sweet to me, it tastes plant. I gather it has to do with biochemistry, as to whether either will taste good to you.

EDIT: Christ, I just spent all day tracking an issue I thought I'd solved 3 months ago. It was the very first thing I solved, in fact. Took me a solid week. And then it mysteriously broke again, assumedly because a file somewhere was cached and then got uncached.

This web game development stuff is for the birds. Or at least, those birds ought be well-paid. Yuck.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 9, 2012

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
I buy a 2-litre bottle of Pepsi Max on a monday and finish it by the friday. YOU CAN'T STOP ME AHAHAHAHAHA :jeb:

I'm glad we don't have unlimited soda because I'd have to turn all of it down because diabetes. I'm gonna be utterly hosed if artificial sweeteners have an effect on your health, I've been drinking pepsi max for like eight years solid now, but tastes infinitely better than sugared fizzy drinks anyway.

This doesn't stop people around the office buying cookies or doughnuts for everyone in the office every now and then. :v:

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 9, 2012

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Pffft you soda junkies and ex-soda junkies.
Wait until you try kicking caffeine altogether. That is the real challenge.

Soda and caffeine free for almost a year now.

waffledoodle
Oct 1, 2005

I believe your boast sounds vaguely familiar.
We're getting brand new vending machines next week with a totally different assortment of snacks and drinks. Our HR person polled everyone in the company to figure out what sort of stuff to stock in there.

This will either be the worst thing or the best thing.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Superrodan posted:

Well, doing poorly in my interview led to me not getting a job I was excited about. That's sort of what I expected, and I'm sure I'll do better next time, but it's still a bummer.
That feels nice.

It's ok. I failed my interview with Valve by somehow making them think I don't play videogames. You ever get into conversations where you just WATCH things happen and you're like nononono?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Happens a few times. Sometimes the interview goes to the point they don't think I can handle small teams for QA. (drat you mobile companies!) You would think telling them that you enjoy working in an enviornemnt that makes feel like a community would get them to know you are interested in small teams.

But somehow they think a person who works in a 16 team group can't handle a small 3 to 5 team of QAers.

Crying out loud I did OT on the game we tested on during crunch time and it was me and one of the newbies. :colbert:

Oh well, it just goes to show you that you have to be careful how you word yourself in interviews.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Chainclaw posted:

Hey, Android / iOS devs, what are your desk sorting solutions for devices? I feel like I need a better solution than phones and tablets everywhere.

I have about a million of these LUXA2 stands. They're not actually very space-efficient, but they grip the devices well and are stable enough that I don't feel nervous. Also the adjustable-ness is nice, just one size for the iPad and one size for the iPhone will also fit any Android device well enough. The only awkward in-between ones they don't fit nicely are the 7-inch Galaxy Tab and Kindle Fire, but maybe they have a size for that and I just didn't find it.

Diaghilev
Feb 19, 2005

The final argument of kings and common men.
When I looked into the bin by my desk and saw just how much soda I had been drinking, I tried to switch to water. I just can't kick that delicious coal-tar dye diet mountain dew addiction. Old habits die hard.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Diet Dr. Pepper has zero calories, the least artificial sweeteners/chemicals, and is just about the only diet soda that doesn't taste like butt. I lost more than a dozen pounds when I switched from Dew to Diet Dr Pepper, and feel like it's a comfortable middle ground, though I would be willing to drop it completely if I could find an affordable, widely-available, and inoffensive to the senses alternative for my caffeine.

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO

GetWellGamers posted:

Diet Dr. Pepper has zero calories, the least artificial sweeteners/chemicals, and is just about the only diet soda that doesn't taste like butt. I lost more than a dozen pounds when I switched from Dew to Diet Dr Pepper, and feel like it's a comfortable middle ground, though I would be willing to drop it completely if I could find an affordable, widely-available, and inoffensive to the senses alternative for my caffeine.

Caffeine pills.
Not even kidding.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

GetWellGamers posted:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/accessories/5a65/?pfm=Search&t=caffine%20soap

Sure you need to take a shower to get your caffeine injection, but you're killing two birds with one stone! May not be readily available, but it is long-lasting and available for bulk purchases.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

nessin posted:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/accessories/5a65/?pfm=Search&t=caffine%20soap

Sure you need to take a shower to get your caffeine injection, but you're killing two birds with one stone! May not be readily available, but it is long-lasting and available for bulk purchases.

My fiance got me that for a birthday a few years ago. I never wanted to use it because it smelled so good. I don't think it worked anyway.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

Not that I don't shower every day anyways, but I heard that caffeine soap was more or less a placebo, that you couldn't really absorb enough through the skin unless you essentially stuck it in your mouth...

Frown Town
Sep 10, 2009

does not even lift
SWAG SWAG SWAG YOLO
If I'm dragging in the morning, I take a caffeine pill before I shower because it's faster than coffee.
I think I have a problem. :(
But at least it's not lines of coke, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

GetWellGamers posted:

if I could find an affordable, widely-available, and inoffensive to the senses alternative for my caffeine.
Ya'll need to grow up, ditch the sodas, and join the adult world of tea and coffee :clint:

Seriously though, tea is awesome. I love tea. There are a billion varieties, they all taste different, and it gives you a great snobby hobby to talk about. Also, you'll gradually gain palette enough to laugh at the boutique tea shops that try and convince you that their smelly butt powder is in fact a tea worth $400/lb.

Coffee's much the same, I just don't do coffee myself. It makes my ears ring, and my digestive track doesn't exactly dig the stuff either.