Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Fists Up posted:

If not what are the outdoor stores in the SF area? I'll head east through Oakland and then towards Stockton/Modesto from SF first up and will probably be stopping somewhere along the way to stock up on all I need for 5 weeks
There's an REI in SF that you can get pretty much everything you need at. Then again you could probably find a bunch of stuff on Craigslist if you don't mind getting buying used (wouldn't hurt to look). I sold my tent and sleeping bags on Craigslist in SF to some guy going to Burning Man last year. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Most of that stuff will absolutely be at Wal-mart.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
I'm going to Spain with MY GIRLFRIEND for two weeks. We're doing the stay-in-hostels-and-bum-around-all-day thing so I was thinking a soft backpack instead of a suitcase would be more appropriate for the job. My tacticool friend at work swears by his 5.11 Rush 24 hour backpack, would this be suitable to use as a travel pack?

http://www.amazon.com/5-11-Rush-Tactical-Backpack-Black/dp/B0019VWSQ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336366543&sr=8-1

The other option would be to use the eBags Weekender bag, but that looks a bit bulky for me. Is it as rigid and suitcase-y as it looks?

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/weekender-etech-convertible/15026?productid=1266982

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Movendi posted:

Bags i'm eyeing:
Golite Convertible 2 lbs. 21 x 14 x 7
Black Wolf Skedaddle (MLC improved clone) 2.9lb 52 x 35 x 27 cm (Aus./NZ only)
Caribee Sky Master 2 lbs 10oz 21.25 x 13 x 7
Ebags Motherlode TLS 3 lbs 11oz. 22 x 14 x 9
MEI Executive overniter - presentable but heavy at 4lb

Laptop pocket not important, rather something for a 7" tablet preferably outside pocket and with bottle/hydration storage. Trying to think if i should compromise on a little more weight for extra benefit of organised storage like in the ebags TLS or MEI EO? Or go for something light like the first 3 but without much extra pockets for phone/tablet/camera. hmm papa

I did two weeks in Vietnam last year with a Black Wolf Skedaddle. It held 3 long sleeve shirts, 3 t-shirts (probably one too many), pair of trousers, pair of shorts, 5 days of socks and underwear, and toiletries, medical and other knick-knacks. I used this little messenger bag thing as a day pack, to hold my camera, map, etc, which I then stored in the Skedaddle when in transit. Everything was great, I had no problems with any carry-on restrictions on planes.

It's worth it for the disbelief from other backpackers that THAT is all your luggage. My housemate almost had a heart attack when she saw what I was leaving the country with :)

pitchblende
Nov 17, 2003

I think I don't give a fuck about what u think. I think that without help anyone will suck in there. Also I think u need to beat it!

Big Grunty Secret posted:

I'm going to Spain with MY GIRLFRIEND for two weeks. We're doing the stay-in-hostels-and-bum-around-all-day thing so I was thinking a soft backpack instead of a suitcase would be more appropriate for the job. My tacticool friend at work swears by his 5.11 Rush 24 hour backpack, would this be suitable to use as a travel pack?

http://www.amazon.com/5-11-Rush-Tactical-Backpack-Black/dp/B0019VWSQ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336366543&sr=8-1

The other option would be to use the eBags Weekender bag, but that looks a bit bulky for me. Is it as rigid and suitcase-y as it looks?

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/weekender-etech-convertible/15026?productid=1266982

That 5-11 bag is pretty small for a two week trip. You should probably look at the 72 (3 day one).

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Big thanks to the poster who suggested the eBags Weekender. Picked it up along with a set of packing cubes and it's gotten me halfway through a 2-week trip so far with no problems.

TheChimney
Jan 31, 2005
I just want to say thank you for all of the effort you have put into this. If the trip I am planning is half as fun as shopping for gear, I am in for the time of my life.

Movendi
Aug 20, 2008

dflanny posted:

I did two weeks in Vietnam last year with a Black Wolf Skedaddle. It held 3 long sleeve shirts, 3 t-shirts (probably one too many), pair of trousers, pair of shorts, 5 days of socks and underwear, and toiletries, medical and other knick-knacks. I used this little messenger bag thing as a day pack, to hold my camera, map, etc, which I then stored in the Skedaddle when in transit. Everything was great, I had no problems with any carry-on restrictions on planes.

It's worth it for the disbelief from other backpackers that THAT is all your luggage. My housemate almost had a heart attack when she saw what I was leaving the country with :)

Nice one! I ended up getting a timbuk2 wingman and it looks a lot nicer in person. Also it was way more comfortable than the patagonia MLC wearing it in backpack mode.

What kind of messenger bag did you use? I'm now looking for a compact daypack. And did you bring any gadgets? I'm still uncertain whether getting a samsung galaxy s2 (4.3") / samsung galaxy note (5" tablet+phone but big to be a daily phone) or just get a samsung galaxy 7.7 for travel and get a bluetooth keyboard?

My concern is backing up photos to these devices might be slower/awkward than a netbook. But i'm not sure how to backup sdhc when you only have a camera on you (and not using internet cafe's).

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Movendi posted:

Nice one! I ended up getting a timbuk2 wingman and it looks a lot nicer in person. Also it was way more comfortable than the patagonia MLC wearing it in backpack mode.

What kind of messenger bag did you use? I'm now looking for a compact daypack. And did you bring any gadgets? I'm still uncertain whether getting a samsung galaxy s2 (4.3") / samsung galaxy note (5" tablet+phone but big to be a daily phone) or just get a samsung galaxy 7.7 for travel and get a bluetooth keyboard?

My concern is backing up photos to these devices might be slower/awkward than a netbook. But i'm not sure how to backup sdhc when you only have a camera on you (and not using internet cafe's).

The only gadget I took was my Android phone. I took my camera as well, but because I was only there for two weeks I didn't bother bringing anything to backup my photos. There was enough room in the bag to fit in a netbook or tablet if I had one. The bag comes with a detachable laptop pouch, which I removed to give me more space.

I got the messenger bag thing from Anaconda. It's this one here (I think): http://www.anaconda.com.au/Product/Camp-and-Hike/Packs-and-Bags/Day-Packs/Jessie-Day-Packs. Mine was in black. It's quite discreet. It's pricey, but Anaconda have sales all the time.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Movendi posted:

I have no experience with Android tablets but I currently use my iPad for photo backup when I'm traveling and it works fine [with the requisite adaptor].

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

If you put Google+ on your Android device it can automatically upload your pictures to a private album. That's what I do to back everything up.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

Jeoh posted:

If you put Google+ on your Android device it can automatically upload your pictures to a private album. That's what I do to back everything up.

Anyone know if that is true for the iPad/iPhone apps? I have the card reader and can put the pictures on my iPad... I just want to know if there is a good, cheap way to upload to Google+/Picasa. I would prefer it to be something that does batch uploads and can do it without compressing the files.

Also, I've noticed that Microsoft has their Skydrive app and it does all of those things, but to your Skydrive. I have 25 GBs of space that I nabbed for free a couple of weeks ago. SugarSync does all those things as well. FYI.

LaserWash fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 9, 2012

ThePhreak
Aug 17, 2004

Can you feel that...That thang that's beatin' in your doggone chest like that...Can you feel that?!?!
Anyone in the market for bags that wants something a little more upscale than the eBags Weekender should take a look at the GoLite Convertible Carry-on. I used it for a 10 day trip and use it weekly for four day trips. It's a great bag, made of a rip-stop type of material, extremely light weight, and not rigid so you can fit much more than you think. The price also dropped tremendously now that GoLite is selling them directly. Very happy with the bag and I paid $130, so for $79 I consider it a steal.

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008
So I'm from the US, and I'm spending the first seven months of my trip in Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, and India. I just bought a Canon Elph 300 HS (basic point-and-shoot camera), and the voltage on my charger is 100-240V (50/60 Hz). I did a quick Wikitravel check, and here's the voltages for the countries I'm headed to:

Singapore: 230V/50Hz
Indonesia: 220V/50Hz
Malaysia: 230V/50Hz
India: 230V/50Hz

Will a simple adapter work for each of the countries I'm headed to, or do I need something more complex?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I'm planning for a month and a half trip almost exclusively out of an MEI Voyager backpack and was looking for some advice on packing. We're going to be doing some trekking in the Himalayas and while we won't have to worry about sleeping bags (we'll be doing homestays), I'm concerned about the size of the MEI packs. We'll be paying for a hotel room even when we're out trekking, so theoretically we could leave the MEI bags and try and cram a smaller pack inside our one bag to travel. Alternatively, we could just grab a rain cover in case we need one on the MEI pack and toss in enough stuff for our treks and be good to go.

Anyone done a long one bag trip with a bag inside a bag?

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

I'm planning for a month and a half trip almost exclusively out of an MEI Voyager backpack and was looking for some advice on packing. We're going to be doing some trekking in the Himalayas and while we won't have to worry about sleeping bags (we'll be doing homestays), I'm concerned about the size of the MEI packs. We'll be paying for a hotel room even when we're out trekking, so theoretically we could leave the MEI bags and try and cram a smaller pack inside our one bag to travel. Alternatively, we could just grab a rain cover in case we need one on the MEI pack and toss in enough stuff for our treks and be good to go.

Anyone done a long one bag trip with a bag inside a bag?

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/143

Sea to Summit packable bag. Took it to Europe last year for a month. Sturdy and great as a grocery bag or trinket storage or just daypack. Stuffs into a smaller-than-a-baseball sized stuffsack. I also hike with it quite frequently and use it store snacks and drinks. Those alternative cheap 10 dollar nylon kiva ones were too flimsy and broke.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
I'm going to be backwatering it for like 7 days in the Himalayas, I'll probably need something with back support, so daypack is less the direction I'm thinking.

e. So we spent like three hours in REI looking at backpacks and my fiancée and I both ended up (independently) settling on the same backpack. These fit snugly inside the MEI pack and take almost no room, have great back support and will work wonderfully for trekking when we're in Iceland and Ladakh. :toot:

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 07:32 on May 13, 2012

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

anakha posted:

Big thanks to the poster who suggested the eBags Weekender. Picked it up along with a set of packing cubes and it's gotten me halfway through a 2-week trip so far with no problems.

How squishable is the eBags weekender? I have a roundtrip RyanAir flight and I don't want to be hit with the 35 euro fee for my carryon. According to the product dimensions it's a bit deep for their restrictions, but if i can press it flat, I'll be golden.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Big Grunty Secret posted:

How squishable is the eBags weekender? I have a roundtrip RyanAir flight and I don't want to be hit with the 35 euro fee for my carryon. According to the product dimensions it's a bit deep for their restrictions, but if i can press it flat, I'll be golden.

Depends on how full you have it. I've gotten it into the overhead bin on small regional jets with no issue when I don't have it stuffed. Full to the brim I've had to gate check it on RJs but able to squeeze it into the overhead bin of a large jet. As long as you don't have it so full that you have to use the extension zipper you probably can squeeze it into being carry on legal.

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

Thoguh posted:

Depends on how full you have it. I've gotten it into the overhead bin on small regional jets with no issue when I don't have it stuffed. Full to the brim I've had to gate check it on RJs but able to squeeze it into the overhead bin of a large jet. As long as you don't have it so full that you have to use the extension zipper you probably can squeeze it into being carry on legal.

I'll second that. My wife and I both took ours on a trip to South Padre last week and had a flight on a tiny American Eagle RJ from Brownsville to Dallas. Her bag was a tight squeeze even with the expansion zipper closed, but I think she had some junk in the outside pocket and the backpack straps out.

transient
Apr 7, 2005
Looking for advice on a personal item bag.

In order to get my company's logo off of my travel gear, I just bought an Aeronaut which I love. Had my doubts about spending that much on a bag but it's been worth it. Now, I need something to keep my laptop/ipad/etc. in that I can put under the seat on a flight.

Originally wanted a backpack, but I like to wear my Aeronaut as one, so maybe a briefcase style bag would be better. Looking at the Zephyr, the Empire Builder, and the Checkpoint Flyer.

Also willing to consider other brands. Currently have a Timbuk2 messenger (complete with work logo) which I don't hate, but isn't great.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I really like my Waterfield Cargo for briefcase use. I have a medium.

transient
Apr 7, 2005

qirex posted:

I really like my Waterfield Cargo for briefcase use. I have a medium.

Looks good, but exactly at the general limit for a personal item. Ever any trouble Carrying it along with a bag for the overhead?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

transient posted:

Looks good, but exactly at the general limit for a personal item. Ever any trouble Carrying it along with a bag for the overhead?

Gate workers and flight attendants (at least in the US) give no fucks unless you're carrying on multiple full size rollerboards.

wordmuncher
Mar 11, 2005
Re: Great Apps/Hacks - Google Maps can cache 10 mile squares.

If you are planning on wandering around cities where you don't have internet access outside of the hostel or driving around without a mobile data connection, pre-cache the tricky bits on your phone before you leave wifi access. E.g., if you're driving through 3 cities in one day, cache the highway around the cities so you don't get lost (it's not important to cache long stretches of highway because it's already hard to get lost).

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2011/07/download-map-area-added-to-labs-in.html

rhombus
Apr 20, 2002

While looking for a day pack that will easily fit into my carry on I found this packable messenger bag on sale at Timberland.

http://shop.timberland.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12214221

I couldn't find any reviews, but I haven't seen any other products like this one so I pulled the trigger.

Timberland's website is having a sale this weekend. Use code MEMDAY12 for 20% off and free shipping on orders over $100. I took the opportunity to stock up on some SmartWool socks that are also on sale with a buy one get one 50% off deal.

Also, if anyone here plays the credit card miles game, you can shop Timberland.com through Chase's Ultimate Rewards Mall and get an extra 4 points per dollar spent.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
So for people who are traveling for work or making frequent short leisure trips, what bags do you use?

I usually either use an eBags Weekender and/or a Red Oxx Air Boss. Most of my trips are 4-5 days. Any other bags out there I should look at?

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 28, 2012

transient
Apr 7, 2005

Thoguh posted:

So for people who are traveling for work or making frequent short leisure trips, what bags do you use?

I usually either use an eBags Weekender and/or a Red Oxx Air Boss. Most of my trips are 4-5 days. Any other bags out there I should look at?

Usually when I see those two, I see the Tom Bihn Aeronaut as well. I've only taken it on three trips, but it's been great. Took it over the Red Oxx for being able to convert it to a backpack though I think they have a similar model.

Movendi
Aug 20, 2008

rhombus posted:

While looking for a day pack that will easily fit into my carry on I found this packable messenger bag on sale at Timberland.

http://shop.timberland.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12214221

I went ahead and bought this as my daypack http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/86 . Might not look stylish but the drat thing 2.4oz/64 g and it fits in your pocket. I don't think any backpack can fit in your pocket.

Some people might be interested in the 1l playtpus foldable water bottle http://www.rei.com/product/768123/platypus-plusbottle-1-liter-water-bottle-with-pushpull-cap . Not sure if it can fold up into a pant pocket but i also bought this to see how this goes.

Also does anyone know anything about Outlier pants? They have a whole range of travel style pants created for bike-to-work commuting but seems to go well with onebag travel. I love the idea of 4season pants because it looks very stylish and dressy but lightweight, wrinklefree/stainproof http://shop.outlier.cc/shop/retail/4season-og-pant.html . The price is somewhat of a bummer but i think im more let down of the lean fit these pants are tailored. Would rather prefer a classic straight leg cut. I did ask the owner to see what he thought about the types of pants to use for onebagging and he recommended the 4season OG or the Keirin Cut Dungarees and also recommended to wait for the ultralights for high humidity areas. Would love to see more fit pics of the OG because i hate sporting the skinny/slim chicken leg look and that is the deciding factor whether i purchase these or not.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Movendi posted:

I went ahead and bought this as my daypack http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/86 . Might not look stylish but the drat thing 2.4oz/64 g and it fits in your pocket. I don't think any backpack can fit in your pocket.
I have one of these and it's pretty useful, although you won't want to carry heavy stuff or oddly shaped objects in it for long periods.

Movendi posted:

Some people might be interested in the 1l playtpus foldable water bottle http://www.rei.com/product/768123/platypus-plusbottle-1-liter-water-bottle-with-pushpull-cap . Not sure if it can fold up into a pant pocket but i also bought this to see how this goes.
I don't think it will be comfortable to keep this in your pocket, unfortunately. You would need something less stiff for this to work well, and I don't think such a thing exists. That would be really useful, though.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Unless you're hiking never bring a water bottle. Water will be anywhere people are.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have a Platypus and it's kind of hard to use, especially if you're trying to fill it in a drinking fountain or shallow sink. I usually carry a Sigg for when I'm hiking but I make sure to take it out of my bag and take the top off at airport security [except for the time I forgot and accidentally poured water on the security table at Tiegel].

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Something really profound
So have any UK'ers found a decent version of the REI Adventures pants/trousers available from within the country? Looks like REI do deliver internationally so I'll probably just stump up for that, but figured worth asking first.

Also thanks for the great thread SG, I'm generally a light traveller but I could be lighter and there's a lot of great info here. It also makes up for every time your avatar has caused me to flick my screen.

Movendi
Aug 20, 2008
Rohan pants are meant to be good but i personally haven't tried them. Would love to hear your experiences if you do. Also pants from marks and spencer and tj maxx are also good according to the obow blog forum. Would like to hear your experiences.

Also i'm not having good luck finding comfortably stylish walking/day hike shoes. Those clarks seem to be ok but i really would have to try any shoe before purchasing something online. Shoes and comfort is a must and blind ordering is throwing money away without trying them on properly.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Something really profound
Cool thanks for that info. I'll def pop into a larger M&S when I can and check out what they have.

And yeah, buying shoes unseen is something I'm not overly keen on, but I'd do it at a stretch if enough people confirmed that they do everything they claim to.

Edit: Also I'm not seeing the attraction of slip-on shoes, I prefer shoes to be secure and don't mind the few seconds it takes to undo/redo laces. Merell have always been one of my favourite brands, but I want to steer away from the walking shoes style this time and into something more omni-acceptable, i.e. usuable in most clubs as well as out and about. Gonna do a bunch of research on this one, will post here if I come up with anything useful.

Azzip fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 2, 2012

Movendi
Aug 20, 2008
I just bought the puma bunyip (limited release). They look pretty stylish and being puma's they're pretty comfortable too. http://www.freshnessmag.com/2012/04/25/sneaker-freaker-x-puma-bunyip/

Not sure if i really would want to take them out hiking but i think it can pass in most establishments that isn't too formal. Of course this really depends what type of places you like to visit and which countries/cities you're staying. My experiences so far tell me that i don't need some fancy clothes to dine out for some great food. Although i did had to buy $20 dress shoes for one night to go to this amazing club in Acapulco which has the best view in the world to take a piss. If anyone know's what i'm talking about please tell me the name because i just can't remember it. So yea it's a waste of money but super cheap leather shoes should do you fine for those one-off's. I'm considering getting the vibram's or other barefoot solutions for hiking since they are lightweight and pliable. Anyone have experiences hiking bare-foot style?

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Movendi posted:

I'm considering getting the vibram's or other barefoot solutions for hiking since they are lightweight and pliable. Anyone have experiences hiking bare-foot style?

Personally, I'd never consider doing any slightly serious hiking with vibrams or other barefoot-style gear.

Especially when the path gets rocky and uneven, you're gonna need the support of a full-ankle boot because it's a lot easier than you think to roll an ankle and sprain the hell out of it. I've helped guide down people who went up mountain trials wearing sneakers who consequently rolled them to gently caress. Plus, the sole profile doesn't look like it's good value in the wet and slick.

If you're a really experienced trailwalker, ymmv, but I'd strongly recommend against it. If your definition of hiking is a bit of light forest and urban walking, it's a different matter.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I don't think you necessarily need a full ankle boot if you're not carriyng a heavy pack, I've switched exclusively to low-top hikers and been fine. What you do need on seriously rough ground is a shank in the sole, most of them are plastic now so they don't add a ton of weight.

mystes
May 31, 2006

qirex posted:

I don't think you necessarily need a full ankle boot if you're not carriyng a heavy pack, I've switched exclusively to low-top hikers and been fine. What you do need on seriously rough ground is a shank in the sole, most of them are plastic now so they don't add a ton of weight.
I agree with this. Full ankle boots are a matter of personal preference, but on rocks you're really going to beat up your feet with the flexible soles the Vibram Five Fingers have. For all I know it may be possible to toughen up your feet to get used to this, but I personal wouldn't even want to try. I can tell you from personal experience that your feet are going to hurt for weeks if you go around jumping onto pointy rocks in shoes with flexible soles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Movendi
Aug 20, 2008
These Timberland shoes look like like the Clark's lugano contender for the dress/walk/hike hybrid.

Timberland Men's Madison Summit - http://www.amazon.com/Timberland-Madison-Summit-Casual-Shoes/dp/B001KOQ4EG

And These Rockport - Northfield Black are along the same line if your not doing much hiking. Looks like spongey rubber soles:
http://www.onlineshoes.com/mens-rockport-northfield-black-p_id15945?source=igodigital&

I've been reading around and some people are recommending hiking sandals as opposed to hike shoes and have your casual nice walk/dress shoes for daily wear. I've never worn those ankle sandals before and it doesn't sound appealing in those malaria zone regions but could be another option for packing light without compromising comfort.

Something like this http://www.zappos.com/ecco-performance-coba-white
Much lighter and compactable than regular hike shoes but i guess you're going to sacrifice your dignity and wear socks with them for outdoor walks.

Movendi fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 8, 2012

• Locked thread