Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

quastenflosser posted:

I was volunteering there today and made sure they got lots of pets and treats :3:

Hahah that's awesome. I'm glad someone is loving on them until they find a home :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Tim the Enchanter posted:

They look so sad, I hope someone adopts them.

It is a well known fact among great dane owners that they only look sad so you'll stuff them full of shitloads of treats, ear rubs, rear end scratches and snuggles on the couch. The lip puddles are a lie.

:3: But I hope they get homes and together.

Mauer
Mar 19, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It is a well known fact among dog owners that they only look sad so you'll stuff them full of shitloads of treats, ear rubs, rear end scratches and snuggles on the couch.

fixed :)

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
Seeing those sad dogs reminds me of a Great Dane I met once. I was volunteering at the clinic of the local humane society. A dane came in because her tail needed to be docked. Why? Because she would break open her tail by hitting it on things. She did this so often at her foster mom's house that she described it as "a CSI crime scene". So, I got to watch a dane tail get docked. I thought it was pretty interesting, but a little sad because she was such a pretty girl and now she would look silly. I'm sure she got adopted right away.

Oh, and I remember that the foster mom said she was surrendered because her previous owners didn't like the color of her fur against their fancy new carpet or something. Then why get a dog at all??

Cat Plant
Feb 11, 2007

There used to be green cats but they turned into plants because they slept too much.

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

Seeing those sad dogs reminds me of a Great Dane I met once. I was volunteering at the clinic of the local humane society. A dane came in because her tail needed to be docked. Why? Because she would break open her tail by hitting it on things. She did this so often at her foster mom's house that she described it as "a CSI crime scene". So, I got to watch a dane tail get docked. I thought it was pretty interesting, but a little sad because she was such a pretty girl and now she would look silly. I'm sure she got adopted right away.

Oh, and I remember that the foster mom said she was surrendered because her previous owners didn't like the color of her fur against their fancy new carpet or something. Then why get a dog at all??

If your dog doesn't match your carpet, you get new carpet!

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

Oh, and I remember that the foster mom said she was surrendered because her previous owners didn't like the color of her fur against their fancy new carpet or something. were dildos.

I summed it up more concisely for you.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

i want to lock it all up in my pocket it's my bar of chocolate
So I don't know if everyone knows this, but YouTube has like, TV channels now. One of them (which launches today I think?) is Fremantle's, and they have an entirely pet-centric channel called The Pet Collective. One of their shows is a Dogs 101 type of thing, and they chose Sunday to be the face of the Great Dane segment. They sneaked me a screen shot today of my little girl's footage and she's loving adorable:

Once they have the link up to the whole video, I will of course be posting it here :)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

:neckbeard: That's so awesome. Sunny gets to be a web tv star. What do they have her do? Is it just a still picture?

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

:neckbeard: That's so awesome. Sunny gets to be a web tv star. What do they have her do? Is it just a still picture?

They filmed a whole sequence with her on a green screen, and then some shots of her running around outside. It's like a 2-3 minute video I think. They took a screen shot of some of the green screen footage and sent it to me, which I promptly posted here. ;)

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

The video has been released!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcZuE8RRdc8

They made her "voice" a male but she's adorable anyway. :)

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

That's adorable! I wanna smoosh Sunday's face so bad :3:

Also laughing at the 'majestic, regal dog' haven't they SEEN a great dane in action? :v:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Who's that person runing with Sunday? Is that you Veruca? For some reason I thought you were a girl...

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Chido posted:

Who's that person runing with Sunday? Is that you Veruca? For some reason I thought you were a girl...

I am 85% sure that is her man. It looks like the same dude from the other video when she was having some issues with her gait.

:3: Sunday is the best boy dog impersonator. She's just so cute and she's so happy on her little run.

E: HA. I am incorrect! Yay!

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Apr 30, 2012

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Chido posted:

Haha, yes, I'm female-- it's someone that works on the show, I had flip flops on so I couldn't really run with her. It was funny though, he was running as fast as he could and Sunday was doing her slow run so that he could keep up. :3:

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
What a cute girl (despite her chipper male voice-over). I like how she has the same natural darting stare my Dane has: vaguely confused bordering on concerned.

God just hearing the facts on the Dane again really cements how they're the monarchs of dogs. Who wouldn't want a sweet, gentle dog that's great with kids and only needs 30 minutes of exercise a day?!

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

Poor Sunday being given a male voice, she's so stunning now though :3:

I'm off to a pet show in a few weeks to hopefully buy loads of cat and gerbil merchandise I dont really need, and i'm planning on admiring the dogs there although there aren't enough big breeds there for my liking

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Mila and Julka all done up for St. Patrick's Day!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Big dogs sometimes break their tails because they are just SO drat HAPPY about everything. Usually it's the tip but I've heard of danes splitting half or more.

Amy first broke her tail during our move. She only does it if there's close spaces and she's blazed out of her mind happy. Unfortunately, she was blazed out of her mind happy this past week and totally busted the tip open beating it into walls. The kitchen looked like a slaughter house every single time she rebroke it open.

Now, there's not a ton you can do for happy tail syndrome. I mean, you can't exactly stop a dog from wagging when it gets excited, and dogs that break their tails often are too dumb to think about what's around them. Balen's tail doesn't break because he wags very politely and slowly. Amy's tail has reached her shoulders she's wagged so hard.

The vet said give it a week or so and see if it healed up on it's own with antibiotic ointment. No problem. Tried it. No luck. gently caress.

So I had my vet call Amy's breeder and see if they can come up with a solution that is both A) medically okay and B) something viable that I can do with the other three dogs roaming around. We came up with three solutions:

1: Take some pipe insulation and tape and tape her tail up so she basically has a giant foam bat for a tail for a couple of weeks. Leave the end open so the wound can air out and apply ointment every day.

2: Tape her tail to a lock around her waist, basically. Get two leash ends, connect one to her belly and one to her tail tip, then latch them together. It'd have to be unlatched every time she wants to go out.

3: Amputation if she continues to bust it open. It's only an inch and a half of tail, but the vet suggested we try the other two ideas first.

So today I went out and got some pipe insulation, and voila (crossposting this picture from the random nonsense thread)

Now, why am I posting about it in here? Because this is the giant dog thread and I figure someone may actually need some advice on this, may end up coming to us for this, etc and I'd rather like to keep track of it in here so I have some idea of what works best with Amy's goofy rear end, and you guys will get some ideas too if the situation occurs. This is, of course, not meant to be used as a veterinary substitute, but it's something we'll be able to see as far as success rate goes with a giant, super high energy, bat poo poo insane dane. :shobon:

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

What kind of noise does it make? edit: Attach a wind whistle to it for extra fun.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

particle409 posted:

What kind of noise does it make? edit: Attach a wind whistle to it for extra fun.

It's a very dull thud as far as noise makes (I am tempted to attach a pinwheel or something to it). When it hits you it feels like a goddamned foam swimming noodle. WUMPF, y'know?

The problem is, she no longer has pain. So she just beats you to death with her noodle tail.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It's a very dull thud as far as noise makes (I am tempted to attach a pinwheel or something to it). When it hits you it feels like a goddamned foam swimming noodle. WUMPF, y'know?

The problem is, she no longer has pain. So she just beats you to death with her noodle tail.

:3: That's awesome. I'm gonna suggest maybe putting a ribbon on it, or perhaps a balloon? Maybe even a jingly bell. The Merriest Dog!

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

Bash Ironfist posted:

:3: That's awesome. I'm gonna suggest maybe putting a ribbon on it, or perhaps a balloon? Maybe even a jingly bell. The Merriest Dog!

How about one of these? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg3ha4M6y7A

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves
That's a great happy tail solution! You'll have to let us know how it works out. Lana's still got a huge knot on the end of hers, but it's no longer actively bleeding, just stays a bit pink looking.

She's doing very well, by the way. She never stops moving long enough to get a clear picture of here. She went from 58lbs to 78lbs in the 2 weeks from the day of her spaying to her 2 week follow up, and that was a couple weeks ago. She's filled out quite a bit, especially in her face, and her coat is really getting pretty. She's such a sweetheart. :3:

Here's a photodump from a week or so ago.

Best buds.

Checking out bugs.

Dr Ozziemandius fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 5, 2012

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
The bottom picture is the most adorable thing I have ever seen. :swoon:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Oh goodness. She's got those big silly puppy ears :3:

Dr Ozziemandius
Apr 28, 2011

Ozzie approves

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Oh goodness. She's got those big silly puppy ears :3:

She's got the largest ear-to-head ratio of any Dane I've seen. :haw: I wasn't sure if it was because of the way she'd been so starved and just didn't really have any subcutaneous fat in her face, or if she's just got hyooooooge ears. Her poor little eyes and face were so sunken when she first came here. :(

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

So, after 4 days, the happy tail foam bat is doing much better. When I put the pipe insulation on, it looked something like this http://i.imgur.com/YFCl3.jpg (maybe :nms: as it's kinda icky, and obviously not amy's tail)

Now, the bashing is completely healed on one side. Her fur is about 1/3rd the way regrown on that side. On the other side, the tail is still a little scabby today but it's mostly regained it's usual grayish-white skintone. The very tip got busted open a tiny bit today while she was out going potty. I have no idea how she did that as I was watching her the whole time and she didn't bash it into anything. I assume it was just dog velocity or something, like crack the whip for a sore tail.

The downsides I can see from this pipe insulation are A) it DOES come off if they wag too hard, B) If the dog is a chewer of soft, foamy things you may need an e-collar, C) After you have it taped into the form of your dog's tail, it's really easy to get on and off (for you, because you have thumbs). The thing is, if you tug it up the tail like a sock, you end up pushing some of the fur on that tail backwards. It doesn't seem to be bothering her, or hurting her, and there's no damage (no bald spots or whatever) but it does make her tail look pretty goofy when I take it off because the spots that are backwards kinda stay backwards, D) The foam is very soft and pliable. Unfortunately that means if you pull it up, like a sock, it will begin to rip. I really suggest taping around the top corners you'll be using to tug it back on if you remove it like I have been for outside time.

If things continue like they are, she could probably take it off within a couple of days safely. However, she's also going into heat. Which means crate and rotate with her and Balen. Which means a lot of crate time. Which means her bashing her stupid tail into the sides of the crate. So she'll be wearing it a while longer than she actually probably needs to. Which means what?

Bash Ironfist posted:

It means that this will be happening. If I do it, I will decorate it. :colbert:

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
It's not our bed anymore. It belongs to the dogs :3:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I still don't get the whole small dog thing. We have a bunch of them in my condo and they just yap all the time. The worst is those Bichon Frieses or whatever. Big dogs rarely do that poo poo. We have my dog Abby (76 pound female (!!) greyhound), a bull mastiff which goes at the speed of a turtle and drools everywhere, and a Bernese Mountain Dog which just owns.

Also my neighbor refuses to understand why having his tiny dog on a retractable leash is a bad idea in the common areas. It's like MY DOG COULD EAT THAT.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Abby now officially weighs more than Husker, by the way ;)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I think Abby is the biggest female our group has adopted out in quite a while. They had an 80 pounder once.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

actionjackson posted:

I think Abby is the biggest female our group has adopted out in quite a while. They had an 80 pounder once.

Husker was 79.5ish before his surgery. Our group had an 80-lb female at one point as well, but the biggest grey they've ever adopted was a male who raced at 90.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

actionjackson posted:

I still don't get the whole small dog thing. We have a bunch of them in my condo and they just yap all the time. The worst is those Bichon Frieses or whatever. Big dogs rarely do that poo poo. We have my dog Abby (76 pound female (!!) greyhound), a bull mastiff which goes at the speed of a turtle and drools everywhere, and a Bernese Mountain Dog which just owns.

Also my neighbor refuses to understand why having his tiny dog on a retractable leash is a bad idea in the common areas. It's like MY DOG COULD EAT THAT.

Our Chihuahua is practically silent. I would say all of her positive personality traits are things grey hound people can appreciate. She is fairly independent but still wants us around, she's quiet, tidy, easy care coat, happy to see most people but in a less obnoxious way.

I've said it before but it is still true, Lucy is the least likely dog in our house to bark, ever. And every Chihuahua my wife had a hand in training was the same way.

Conversely, her Pyr would sound the alarm at anything within a five mile radius of their acreage. At any time. Day or night. As did my parent's 80 lb Shepherd mix.

I mean, yknow, she's still Lucy and deserves all your revulsion but yappy she ain't.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

RazorBunny posted:

Husker was 79.5ish before his surgery. Our group had an 80-lb female at one point as well, but the biggest grey they've ever adopted was a male who raced at 90.

We have one that's in the 90s, and one that's 110+ (I poo poo you not). His racing name was Double XL, though I don't think he ever actually competed.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Bella's a doofus.

Writer Cath fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 13, 2013

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Writer Cath posted:

Bella

:neckbeard: YESSSS!

I can -kind of- understand "small" dogs, what with Kaydasemar'e and all. Chihuahuas? I don't really get that. I'm worried I'm going to hurt them by stepping on a paw or something. 20-something pounds? Yeah, okay. I can understand that kinda. I just never really post about her in Yappy Rats because 99% of my pictures with her end up in random nonsense instead.

tboeske01
Apr 6, 2011

in the end the addition of charles barkley did improve the amount of dunk in the proposed replacement picture as expected, even exceeding our more modest projections easily.
The following are of my English Mastiff Houdinie.

The next two are of some Afghan pups. I left before they were fully grown so I dont know how big they got. Their parents were bigger than my Mastiffs.

I am currently trying to find pics of my other Masstiff. I will update when I find them or take some more.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
I love how it's apparently a giant-breed thing for huge for 120+ pound dogs to squeeze into armchairs or other tiny configurations:

Crappy cell pic, w/e:

Re-posted, but applicable:

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:

tboeske01 posted:

The following are of my English Mastiff Houdinie.

Is this Houdinie's own chair? I would like to think you got it just for him :3:

I went to my local shelter yesterday to drop off a cat trap. The gal at the front desk was busy so I went to take a look at the animals (always a mistake because I leave feeling sad for not saving someone). There were 3 HUGE (yes, they would be huge but keep in mind I have a 3.5 lb chihuahua and 9 lb shih-tzu/maltese) St. Bernards, all in a row. They had two runs (the ones behind them had their barriers up) for each of them. They were so filthy! Their paperwork said they were all strays so my guess is they all decided to go have an adventure together. They all seemed very friendly.

Someday I want to have a giant dog. I really like bullmastiffs and leonbergers. But I will have to wait until Apple passes away because he would not tolerate that :downs:

As for the discussion earlier about the appeal of small dogs...I can't really say why I like them. I don't like all little dogs. For example, I don't like jack russels because they are too hyper. I guess I just like something that is small and likes to cuddle. Plus they just look cute to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
EARS!