Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butt Swartzky
May 20, 2001

Thanks. Am I correct in thinking the data charge for my phone is uncalled for if I'm not upgrading or renewing, simply changing from an Individual to a Family plan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
If anybody is interested the sense 4.0 rom was updates yesterday to include a functioning camera, Bluetooth, 3.0 kernel and other goodies. It works really well for the 3d and it makes me not care about the EVO4glte anymore.

Edit* I personally really like sense 4.0 and urge anybody to at least give it a try. It's drat functional compared to 3.6 and far less intrusive.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 9, 2012

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

ratbert90 posted:

If anybody is interested the sense 4.0 rom was updates yesterday to include a functioning camera, Bluetooth, 3.0 kernel and other goodies. It works really well for the 3d and it makes me not care about the EVO4glte anymore.

Edit* I personally really like sense 4.0 and urge anybody to at least give it a try. It's drat functional compared to 3.6 and far less intrusive.

Got a link?

I just downloaded/installed Myn's RLS2 and am loving it.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1639235

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm avoiding flashing anything else to my phone until a solution is ironed out on the VM fuckery I put myself through :downs:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

uapyro posted:

Got a link?

I just downloaded/installed Myn's RLS2 and am loving it.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1639235

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1620318

No VM fuckery needed. :v:

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
So I currently have a Sprint Epic 4G Touch (Samsung Galaxy S II) with Unnamed Rom. I want to start being able to force roaming while at work because the connection there blows goats while my Verizon pals all get great speeds.

I've reading up on this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1267893

I understand the risks that using massive amounts of roaming data/voice and/or using more than 50% of data as roaming will raise red flags.

I there anyone who's done this? I assume that if I flash a PRL and get Roam control I'll be good to go but has anyone on sprint done this and gotten results?

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 9, 2012

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I was doing a lot of data roaming when I had a EVO, and I got a letter from Sprint warning about this. That said I was downloading ROMs OTA at work. Right after that I got a iPhone and so that stopped that. I have heard they will cancel the line if you keep it up.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm avoiding flashing anything else to my phone until a solution is ironed out on the VM fuckery I put myself through :downs:

I agree. They say the ICS release is imminent (They say a lot), May 28th is the day I hear. I have a brand new (an cheaply acquired off craigslist) 3D that I am really looking forward to having ICS and sense 4 on.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix
So is there a good chance that 4G LTE service will be activated on 5/18 when the HTC EVO 4G LTE and the Tri-fi Hotspot are released? Releasing the Gnex as a 4G LTE phone with no LTE service seemed a little strange, but it doesn't seem like Sprint should continue to release additional LTE products without LTE service.

ehonna_disco
Apr 26, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

traslin posted:

So is there a good chance that 4G LTE service will be activated on 5/18 when the HTC EVO 4G LTE and the Tri-fi Hotspot are released? Releasing the Gnex as a 4G LTE phone with no LTE service seemed a little strange, but it doesn't seem like Sprint should continue to release additional LTE products without LTE service.

Those aren't LTE-only products, so Sprint will get as much run out of "LTE LTE LTE LTE!" as they can.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

My brother dropped his Touch Pro 2 in a pool, is there any way I can activate my old Touch Pro 2 onto his account without changing his SERO 500 account? He plans to upgrade to an iPhone 4S (with all that entails on SERO) very soon, would it affect the upgrade if I activated the Touch Pro 2 on his account?

Funny enough, I got a text today from Sprint saying I can trade in my TP2 for $8. I did chuckle a little at that.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

DanAdamKOF posted:

My brother dropped his Touch Pro 2 in a pool, is there any way I can activate my old Touch Pro 2 onto his account without changing his SERO 500 account? He plans to upgrade to an iPhone 4S (with all that entails on SERO) very soon, would it affect the upgrade if I activated the Touch Pro 2 on his account?

Activating a phone on the account will not affect it at all. You can trade out phones when ever. Like last week I was on an Evo, this week I am on a 3D. My upgrade remains the same, 1 oct 2012

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

traslin posted:

LTE should turn on this month but only if you live in one of the phase 1 cities and are near one of the few completed towers in those cities.

tomguycot
Jan 11, 2001
Forum Veteran

atomicvocabulary posted:

Activating a phone on the account will not affect it at all. You can trade out phones when ever. Like last week I was on an Evo, this week I am on a 3D. My upgrade remains the same, 1 oct 2012

Any idea if you can do this without paying any sort of fee? I've got an upgrade in June and I'm thinking about picking up one of the new LTE phones but if I know I'm going to be in one of the handful of places where I actually get useable Wimax I was wondering how much of a hassle it'd be to switch back over to my current phone (Evo 3D) for a day?

The 3D is still a fine phone but I also hate to just let my subsidy sit there for multiple months as I'm essentially losing money by not using it.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

atomicvocabulary posted:

I agree. They say the ICS release is imminent (They say a lot), May 28th is the day I hear. I have a brand new (an cheaply acquired off craigslist) 3D that I am really looking forward to having ICS and sense 4 on.
I watched a video on Engadget with some Sprint VPs who said ICS is coming to the 3D in June.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

atomicvocabulary posted:

Activating a phone on the account will not affect it at all.
But he's on old SERO ($30/mo). My understanding is that all smartphone activations require SERO Premium ($40/mo) now. If so, you'd find out when attempting to activate it.

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

But he's on old SERO ($30/mo). My understanding is that all smartphone activations require SERO Premium ($40/mo) now. If so, you'd find out when attempting to activate it.

I have had luck with the chat on the sprint website. The web esn swap page was not letting me switch phones a while back due to my Sero plan. I ended up getting someone on the chat to do it with no issues.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

"d[-.- posted:

b"]
I watched a video on Engadget with some Sprint VPs who said ICS is coming to the 3D in June.

Cool, I have to play Diablo 3 this month any way and don't need distractions.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

DanAdamKOF posted:

Funny enough, I got a text today from Sprint saying I can trade in my TP2 for $8. I did chuckle a little at that.
It won't affect anything. The TP2 isn't considered a smartphone in Sprint's system (contrary to their Premium Data Fee press release). Your brother will be able to keep his SERO 500 account without any changes.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

traslin posted:

No, it doesn't launch till summer.

No LTE still works better than WiMax :)

tomguycot posted:

Any idea if you can do this without paying any sort of fee? I've got an upgrade in June and I'm thinking about picking up one of the new LTE phones but if I know I'm going to be in one of the handful of places where I actually get useable Wimax I was wondering how much of a hassle it'd be to switch back over to my current phone (Evo 3D) for a day?

The 3D is still a fine phone but I also hate to just let my subsidy sit there for multiple months as I'm essentially losing money by not using it.

There are no fees to switch your own phone onto your Sprint account.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I got an automated call this morning asking me to take a survey about a call I had with a Sprint billing rep two days ago. I haven't called Sprint about anything in months, should I disregard this as a glitch on their end or should I call Sprint about it, in case it's something sinister like identity theft?

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

I'm on SERO-P upgrading from a HTC Arrive to a Nexus S. Can I just swap the phone online or do I need to call in since they need to add the $10 data fee?

It's weird that there are so many custom roms for the Nexus S. Isn't the whole point of a nexus device to run stock? My Nexus S has a customer kernel installed (air kernel 4.0). I've never messed with kernels before. Should I try to revert back to the old kernel if I want to use stock ICS or does it matter?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

You can just swap. The $10 data fee should just be added automatically.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lovie Unsmith posted:

I got an automated call this morning asking me to take a survey about a call I had with a Sprint billing rep two days ago. I haven't called Sprint about anything in months, should I disregard this as a glitch on their end or should I call Sprint about it, in case it's something sinister like identity theft?

Either ignore the survey or take it and give it a 5/5. Either is fine. Taking the survey and giving anything less than perfect is no good however, please don't do that, some poor bastard will get yelled at (best case scenario).

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
I got my mom a Galaxy Nexus, and she has the FD02 update, but her 3G speeds are so slow its absurd.

In an area with 3 bars [and 3g icon up] it regularly says 'connection timed out' while trying to download apps on the play market.

It takes maybe 3 minutes to download a map, a minute to search for an address etc.

It's horrible. Is this what people are typically experiencing with the GNex? I'm thinking of returning the phone and getting the EVO 4G LTE.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

tijag posted:

I got my mom a Galaxy Nexus, and she has the FD02 update, but her 3G speeds are so slow its absurd.

In an area with 3 bars [and 3g icon up] it regularly says 'connection timed out' while trying to download apps on the play market.

It takes maybe 3 minutes to download a map, a minute to search for an address etc.

It's horrible. Is this what people are typically experiencing with the GNex? I'm thinking of returning the phone and getting the EVO 4G LTE.

My 3G speeds are all over the place even after the FD02 update. It really seems to be time dependent in my area. In the morning I can pull 12-1300k down no problem, but in the afternoon into evening I'm lucky to break 75 down, usually with a solid 1.5-2 full second ping. I haven't yet, but I'm going to compare results with my girlfriend's Nexus S tonight.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

tijag posted:

I think this has more to do with the Sprint network being crappy than it does with the phone. Sprint has not upgraded it's 3G network enough to keep up with the increased data usage of its customers. I'm guessing that sirbeefalot's fluctuations in speeds is due to peak usage times.

Sprint is finally rolling out serious network upgrades this year, so depending on where you are located, you may want to hold off on switching phones until the upgrade. I believe 3G network upgrades will be rolling out with the 4G LTE upgrades they are doing.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
This post here : http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-nexus/544385-no-3g-service-after-fd02.html

Is my experience. I had to reset her phone for 3G to connect. When it did connect it was insanely slow. like timeout constantly slow.

If this doesn't get better I hope that the Sprint store will just swap out the phone for a new one. One doesn't by flagship phones to not be able to connect to the network.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

tijag posted:

This post here : http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-nexus/544385-no-3g-service-after-fd02.html

Is my experience. I had to reset her phone for 3G to connect. When it did connect it was insanely slow. like timeout constantly slow.

If this doesn't get better I hope that the Sprint store will just swap out the phone for a new one. One doesn't by flagship phones to not be able to connect to the network.

In view of all that, I take back what I said. It does sound like a phone issue. I don't think you should have an issue getting it swapped out at Sprint.

My Gnex speeds are slow but typically still about 0.3 Mbps, and timeouts are very infrequent.

kahm
May 13, 2004

what's goin' on in this fridge
So I'm up for upgrade in November. I'm trying to buy out my contract to get my upgrade moved up to now, but employee care is telling me that there's no way to do this. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but I thought that anyone could buyout the remainder of their contract and then get their upgrade reset. Is this not true? Any tips on what I could do to get my upgrade reset? They told me it was 'picked by the system randomly' who was eligible.

Edit: Called again, they said it was based on 'market' (??), talked to his supervisor, did it for me. Nice!

kahm fucked around with this message at 20:07 on May 10, 2012

Charlie Foxtrot
Aug 24, 2002

Talk to the hand, cause the Receiver isn't listening.

Time for my two-year upgrade. Bought the Google Nexus for $199.99 at Best Buy, they had to mail it to me but when I got it, I brought it in, then:

- did the "$50 credit and $50 buyback" current promotion when you turn in any Sprint phone

- also got $50 credit for the Phone Freedom promotion (earlier in the year I just had to get my plan analyzed for when I was due for an upgrade, and then buy the upgrade at BB before next calendar year)

- getting $50 credit through a new activation of Google Wallet

After it's all said & done, I will have paid a total of $16.61 for my Google Nexus. :D

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I get 2-3 bars inside a big glass/steel building. The server is about 20 miles from me, except for the top two, which are from a server about 10 miles away. Obviously off peak times. I plan on doing another one tomorrow at a more busy time, as a comparison. I imagine I'll see a drop in speeds due to fuckbags doing their best at plowing into each other on my goddamn interstate, and a further crop of shitbirds calling their retarded friends about it.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 11, 2012

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
I've got the EVO 4G and in the last week or so it seems half of my chargers have stopped doing the job unless light pressure is placed on it.

The odd thing is some chargers still work.

I have one at work and one I use with my computer that work just fine still, but my home and car chargers are having issues.

Is this a charger issue or a charging port issue?

I thought I remember reading about charging port issues before.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Krime posted:

I've got the EVO 4G and in the last week or so it seems half of my chargers have stopped doing the job unless light pressure is placed on it.

The odd thing is some chargers still work.

I have one at work and one I use with my computer that work just fine still, but my home and car chargers are having issues.

Is this a charger issue or a charging port issue?

I thought I remember reading about charging port issues before.

Yep your charger port is going, it is a known issue, take that thing into a tech center right away, regardless of whether you have insurance or not its no cost to exchange since its a known issue.

The Evo is actually not back ordered on the exchange list right now, which is very rare.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

Yep your charger port is going, it is a known issue, take that thing into a tech center right away, regardless of whether you have insurance or not its no cost to exchange since its a known issue.

The Evo is actually not back ordered on the exchange list right now, which is very rare.

I was charged a $35 exchange fee both times I did this (I'm on my 3rd Evo due to these charging ports.) The Sprint rep told me that it would be no charge if I went through HTC rather than Sprint, which could leave you without a phone for a time, though I'm not sure how HTC's process works.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I just cancelled my Evo LTE pre-order with Sprint. Amazon is selling it for $50 less and they are waiving activation fees. It was a pain in the rear end dealing with Sprint, but worth doing for $85.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

The Verge's Evo 4g LTE review is out here.

I was pretty sure I was going to get it over the Galaxy Nexus and the S3, and now I'm definite convinced. I know I'm taking a risk when it comes to updates, but I had great luck with my OG Evo, and I'm not afraid to flip it on craigslist (like I did to get my Nexus S 4g) if a good enough new Android release comes out and the Evo doesn't get it.

I still like the look of the original One X better, but I don't think the Evo is quite as hideous as I did the first time I saw it, and I don't really care about the look of the phone anyway. I'm happy on Sprint too. The network around me is quite decent speed wise (~1-2MB down, certainly better than the double digit kilobytes per second horror stories some of you guys get), and coverage is fine. I'm sure it could be faster on another network, but I can stream subsonic just fine, and since I'm on a 5 line EPRP it's still (a little) cheaper than prepaid. I also would blow through just about any data limit given (see subsonic streaming), so the unlimited data helps.

EDIT: I'm probably not going to preorder though, just to see if there are any game breaking issues out of the gate. I know that's no guarantee (hello G2X), but I'm in no hurry to get a new phone anyway, so I don't mind waiting a bit.

EDIT 2: I'm also very curious to hear about the quality of the DAC, but no one in the Android phone thread with a One X has answered me thus far.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 11, 2012

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Goldmund posted:

I just cancelled my Evo LTE pre-order with Sprint. Amazon is selling it for $50 less and they are waiving activation fees. It was a pain in the rear end dealing with Sprint, but worth doing for $85.

What do you do for support through Amazon?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

FogHelmut posted:

What do you do for support through Amazon?

Sprint still provides the support, unless I misunderstand your question. Amazon is just the reseller, similar to buying at a Best Buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Goldmund posted:

Sprint still provides the support, unless I misunderstand your question. Amazon is just the reseller, similar to buying at a Best Buy.

Hmm. I mentioned earlier in the thread that when I preordered mine through Sprint, I asked if they would match an affiliate price. They said they did not, as the contract would be through the affiliate, and support would also go through the affiliate. Does Amazon have a different deal than someone like Wirefly? Do you pay your bill to Sprint, or through Amazon? I don't know how this stuff works. I would like to save $85 though.