Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mosaic Perception
Sep 18, 2009

by XyloJW

Jelq Swagger posted:

All of my friends who love Boosie, also love Webbie so that'd be my first suggestion if you don't already listen to Webbie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iy4YSujYbM

quote:

an avid fan of hardcore rap artists including Southern hip hop performers Master P, Eightball & MJG, the Geto Boys, and UGK, as well as West Coast rap such as 2Pac, Eazy-E, and Snoop Dogg.

It reads like my introduction to rap as a kid. Makes sense I'd like him. Thanks for all of the suggestions going through them now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

Regnevelc posted:

Saw E40 last night. He put on an outside set for $10 in fort Wayne Indiana. He was fuckin awesome. He had an opener that was solid but I didn't catch his name unfortunately.

http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/tix/2993325002.html

one of them?

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
Dude I would love to see 40 water live

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Has anyone read this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Check_the_Technique

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
When it's time to rhyme you know I gets nice: Heretofore unreleased Beastie Boys performance for Chappelle's Show season 3. I miss Dave too. :( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPLLEIUYnlk

and some kinda DJ mix of Paul's Boutique, I guess maybe it's good http://nosleeptillwolflin.tumblr.com/post/22462118331/had-to-bring-this-one-back-in-the-wake-of-mcas

UP AND ADAM fucked around with this message at 09:09 on May 7, 2012

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

THNDRTHF posted:

Dude I would love to see 40 water live

E40 was literally the worst show I have ever seen. He was too fat to perform for more than 45 minutes and just rushed through a bunch of his new stuff so he could get to Tell Me When to Go for all the kids there. I think the only old song he did was Sprinkle Me. Not even fuckin Automatic man. I paid $40 for that poo poo. Turf Talk opened and was way better.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
That's dissapointing, from what I hear he's usually on point.

When he used to do shows in portland there was usually shootings afterwards in the parking lot tho :/ - he seems to attract a certain clientele. Happened a few times.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

the great deceiver posted:

E40 was literally the worst show I have ever seen. He was too fat to perform for more than 45 minutes and just rushed through a bunch of his new stuff so he could get to Tell Me When to Go for all the kids there. I think the only old song he did was Sprinkle Me. Not even fuckin Automatic man. I paid $40 for that poo poo. Turf Talk opened and was way better.

Must have caught a bad set then. He only performed for 45 minutes or so, but for $10 I didn't mind. Fun time.

cardedagain posted:

http://fortwayne.craigslist.org/tix/2993325002.html

one of them?

I'm confused?

youngallah
Mar 14, 2012
My homie Cory Kendrix just dropped his new mixtape, "Free Beer" - I produced like four joints off of there. If you like Southern poo poo (or Western poo poo, or Eastern poo poo, or Midwestern poo poo) check it out!

vvv yeah its really dope. i produced above the rim, the cipher joint, the stripper song and lost in the moment

youngallah fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 7, 2012

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

Regnevelc posted:

Must have caught a bad set then. He only performed for 45 minutes or so, but for $10 I didn't mind. Fun time.

I'm confused?

The bill was as follows: E-40, Cali Swag District, T.Mills, Certiflyyed

Perhaps these were the openers?

ALSO: copping the Cory mixtape, can't wait to hear what i'm up against ;) - cosign this mahfuca

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009

UP AND ADAM posted:

When it's time to rhyme you know I gets nice: Heretofore unreleased Beastie Boys performance for Chappelle's Show season 3. I miss Dave too. :( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPLLEIUYnlk

Viacom has been pulling down the videos. gently caress those pricks.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Jeez. It was uploaded by Neal Brennan himself even.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
yeah i mean that's just like so low and such a lovely thing to do i can't believe there's someone there that even thinks it's a good idea

youngallah
Mar 14, 2012
They're probably getting the BEASTIE BOYS: THE MEMORIES dvd ready and want to drive up sales

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

THNDRTHF posted:

The bill was as follows: E-40, Cali Swag District, T.Mills, Certiflyyed

Perhaps these were the openers?

Ah sorry, it was early, will check into them.

Thanks man!

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

Regnevelc posted:

Yeah I think I did just catch him on a bad night but this was in the Bay so it was extra disappointing. I think Tell Me When to Go had just come out or something and since that was like the biggest song to ever come out in Northern California I think he knew he was gonna get paid and he just didn't give a gently caress that night.

Also his hype man was a dude dressed in a giant HYPHY JUICE! costume. I always wondered if there ever was a market for hyphy juice energy drink.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

the great deceiver posted:

Also his hype man was a dude dressed in a giant HYPHY JUICE! costume. I always wondered if there ever was a market for hyphy juice energy drink.
There was one of those when I saw Keak da Sneak. That show sucked too so I guess hyphy juice is to blame.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

Fun Times! posted:

Has anyone read this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Check_the_Technique

It's pretty good but I found it didn't go in depth enough for me, same problem Can't Stop Won't Stop by Jeff Chang had. I would definitely recommend it

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

No talk about the new Killer Mike album?

Spin.com has the entire thing streaming.
http://www.spin.com/articles/hear-killer-mikes-fiery-rap-music-mc-runs-us-through-his-new-lp

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

el-p has me hitting the snooze button but killer mike really knows how to put an album together so im gonna check it. all his other studio albums were great.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman

farmtrill posted:

el-p has me hitting the snooze button

You are literally the worst.

This Killer Mike album is probably his best yet to me. I am biased because I think El-P is probably the greatest hip hop producer of all time, but Mike sounds completely original over his beats and all the guest spots are pretty dope too. I still think I like Cancer for Cure a little better, but I'll give this a few more listens before I stick to that claim.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

New Killer Mike is pretty dope and some critics and rapnerds are already calling it album of the year. I donno if I'm onboard with saying that yet, but don't sleep on it. Reminded me I needed to relisten to HIDEYAFACE more often: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AADbnoHpu9A

Killer Mike - Untitled (ft Scar) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7wvg9VHIxg

Diodeous fucked around with this message at 14:54 on May 9, 2012

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

El-P's album was kinda disappointing to me. It wasn't bad at all, but I expected too much maybe. It's always seemed in the past El-P saved his harsher, more out there production for himself and gave the smoother (and that's very relative) production to other people. Cancer for Cure was by far his softest sounding album. I have a feeling that if I listen to it more in the future it'll get better but both his previous solo albums hit right away AND got better with time. This one I listened to, and moved right on to something else.

New Killer Mike is better (and I think that's mostly due to the better production by it) but it's not the best album out this year. Habits & Contradictions is way better, and I'd also say Mista Thug Isolation is better (it's really surprising how good that album is, a lot going on there). And there's a lot of stuff that might come out later I'd expect to challenge as well. Also I know a lot of dudes seem really surprised that El-P made an album with Killer Mike, but really despite what people think about El-P his production has always been really based in rap, just with a bit of an edge. Cold Vein wasn't some super-scientifical lyrical miracle stuff, it was a street album just as much as early Wu or Mobb Deep or w/e. Which really has been the thing that's always impressed me about El-P's production: he does some stuff that on the surface sounds out there, but it's still obviously rap poo poo. edit-Listening to this more, it's really a shame El-P hasn't produced for more people, some of the stuff on here is really ridiculous.

Btw Dreamchasers 2 is out and it's really good (wish he'd get a little more varied production though) and it's already the most downloaded album from datpiff apparently.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 9, 2012

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

cardedagain posted:

No talk about the new Killer Mike album?

Spin.com has the entire thing streaming.
http://www.spin.com/articles/hear-killer-mikes-fiery-rap-music-mc-runs-us-through-his-new-lp

This is hard, love it.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
El-P is great. Just wanted to say that.

I plan to re-confirm my opinion when I listen to these new shits later.

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.

alansmithee posted:

Btw Dreamchasers 2 is out and it's really good (wish he'd get a little more varied production though) and it's already the most downloaded album from datpiff apparently.

Dreamchasers 2 is pretty dang good but it's one of those tapes I don't think I will listen to more than a couple times. It's just too aggressive or something... doesn't really switch up his style on any track and like you said the production could be more varied. Some great songs on there though, definitely worth checking out.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

I've given Cancer For Cure a handful of spins and I like it a lot so far. The two tracks with guests are the standouts so far, but all the other stuff fulfills my need for distopian verses over heavy synths and drums. His production has gotten more polished since Fantastic Damage, but I love the extra complexity he's been packing in them.
R.A.P Music I'm still getting my head around, but Killer Mike sounds pretty loving awesome through out the whole thing. I like it more the Pl3dge, and it might on the same level as I Pledge Allegiance To the Grind 2.

I'm really looking forward to Ab-Soul's Control System and they released Illuminate with Kendrick yesterday.

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

alansmithee posted:

yes alan thank you for making that observation, you know i have no problem listening to zaytoven beat after zaytoven beat and not complain but loving hell meek mill literally pics the SAME drat BEATS. drat right its dreamchasers 2, sounds like hes tried to remake the loving mixtape. one of the beats was literally a rehash of 'house party' to the point i thought it was a remix. ill give it a full + proper listen over the weekend but i actually had to switch it off because it was doing nothing for me.

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
It was a House Party remix. I've listened through the tape once and nothing really stood out to me.

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

Wafflecop posted:

It was a House Party remix. I've listened through the tape once and nothing really stood out to me.

lol.

im looking at the tracklist and i didnt even make it that far, i was talking about another song in the 1st 10 tracks or so of the tape. so not only has he remade house party, but hes remixed it too. seems to be the meek mill formula.

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

snyprmag posted:

I like it more the Pl3dge

i was disappointed by that album. the first few tracks were strong, but it went downhill halfway through.

Mannie Fresh
Jul 2, 2006
First thought after listening to R.A.P. Music was the same feeling I had after The One...Cohesive last year, the production is just so good I didn't notice the lyrics beyond a few lines.

El-P made a monster of an album for Mike and I'm buying it.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

cardedagain posted:

i was disappointed by that album. the first few tracks were strong, but it went downhill halfway through.

Yea I only like a handful of tracks (like Fire, Rick Flair, Animal and maybe American Dream) and never revisit the thing as a whole.

Also I just picked up Quelle Chris' Shotgun and Sleek Rifle a year or so late and Im pretty into on first listen. I hadn't listened to him till the 2dirt4tv ep and he's like a calmer, a little more political version of Danny Brown.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Not sure if this has been discussed. new Dilla album in a month: http://vimeo.com/41689488

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I need really good rap. like, your top 3 favorite rap songs rap that don't include classics like still dre etc.

everyone's rap.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Please don't.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

het posted:

Please don't.
why not?

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
Because lists are stupid, and don't facilitate discussion. Also, the first all-time classic song that popped into your head is still dre? Really?

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
can you shoot me any songs that are in the vein of gangstas paradise

make me recommendations that pandora wouldn't guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Vivec posted:

why not?
What Frnak Groe said, and because we explicitly do not want just lists of songs in this forum. If you want a place where people just post their favorites there's a whole other forum for you.

edit: This thread is more lax than others in this forum but this "HEY GUYS POST YOUR TOP 5 SONGS, JUST A LIST OF SONGS" from some new dude happens like every couple months and gets a little tiresome.

thunderthief posted:

can you shoot me any songs that are in the vein of gangstas paradise

make me recommendations that pandora wouldn't guess
I think your sarcasm is too subtle here, someone might take it seriously :/

• Locked thread