Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Hark, a job!

https://sjobs.brassring.com/1033/as...G1XAx5aDupTjgiQ

quote:

Hi all,

The Berkman Center for Internet & Society and the Harvard Law School library seek a full-time Project Manager to advance their joint project, H2O. H2O is an online platform for textbook development and distribution, currently in a pilot stage. H2O is based on the open source model – instead of locking down materials in formalized textbooks, we believe that course books can be free (as in free speech) for everyone to access and, equally important, build upon.

Using H2O, professors can freely pull together materials for a course by selecting cases, editing those cases to the sections that are most relevant, and grouping them into readings. Once the materials are assembled, they can be copied in part or in whole by other interested faculty and then edited further. H2O has been successfully piloted in Jonathan Zittrain’s 1L Torts class, and will be rolling out further over the coming year.

H2O’s project manager will play a leading role in shepherding H2O into its next phase, which will focus on developing new materials and incorporating additional features, in order to expand the platform beyond its law school roots.

The Project Manager will be housed at the HLS Library and work in close collaboration with lead members of the Library Innovation Lab team; he/she will also work closely with the Berkman Center and current H2O teams.

All best,
Becca

---

H2O Project Manager/Technical Lead

Duties & Responsibilities

A joint project of the Berkman Center for Internet & Society and the Harvard Law School library, H2O is an online platform for textbook development and distribution, currently in a pilot stage.

H2O is currently seeking a full-time Project Manager who will play a leading role in shepherding H2O into its next phase, which will focus on: developing new materials and incorporating additional features, in order to expand the platform beyond its law school roots, and opening up the possibility for wide use and diverse application at Harvard and beyond. This could be an exciting opportunity for a law graduate who wishes to conduct research and contribute to curriculum development before going on to another opportunity, such as a clerkship or fellowship.

The Project Manager will be housed at the HLS Library and work in close collaboration with lead members of the Library Innovation Lab team; he/she will also work closely with the Berkman Center and current H2O teams.

Primary responsibilities will include:

Developing New Materials and Supporting New Courses

The Project Manager will be responsible for overseeing a team of summer interns who will be tasked with developing these materials and liaising with library staff for the collection of cases and other materials. He/she will also be the primary interface with new professors and work with them to develop their materials, syllabi, etc.

Developing and Implementing new technical features.

The Project Manager will work closely with the team and web developers and designers to identify priority areas for development. In addition, he/she will continue to guide our efforts to ensure that H2O software is broadly accessible; continued development and innovation in this arena is a key priority.

In addition to overseeing and guiding these priority efforts, the Project Manager will be generally responsible for performing various research and coordination activities associated with the expansion and development of the H2O platform. Primary substantive responsibilities will be to: (a) oversee the development of new materials as described above, including interfacing with faculty, coordinating an intern team and working closely with the existing H2O team; (b) drive the development and implementation of Phase 2 technical features and enhancements.

Additionally, the Project Manager will manage the strategic project planning and implementation, including evangelizing the platform with a particular focus on professors who are currently using it, and outreach to those who may consider it in the future; driving fundraising efforts in support of the next phase of the project; and working with the team to develop communications around new developments, with the goal of spreading H2O's use across diverse courses and disciplines around the University.

This is a term-limited position ending June 30, 2013; continuation contingent upon project status and finding.

Basic Qualifications

Candidate must have experience in project management, including leading/working across diverse teams.

Additional Qualifications

Advanced degree in law is strongly preferred. Experience doing technical, substantive and organizational work for non-governmental or academic organizations strongly preferred, in addition to experience in managing and guiding participating researchers or collaborators. Technical experience and facility also a plus, in addition to curriculum creation experience.

Candidate must pay great attention to detail and be highly organized. Ability to work under tight deadlines a must. Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills required. Candidate would thrive in dynamic, entrepreneurial, self-motivated environment. Must be a team player, able to work alone and in teams.

About the Berkman Center for Internet & Society:

The Berkman Center for Internet & Society at Harvard University is a research program founded to explore cyberspace, share in its study, and help pioneer its development. Founded in 1997, through a generous gift from Jack N. and Lillian R. Berkman, the Center is home to an ever-growing community of faculty, fellows, staff, and affiliates working on projects that span the broad range of intersections between cyberspace, technology, and society. More information can be found at http://cyber.law.harvard.edu

About the Harvard Library Innovation Laboratory at Harvard Law School:

The Harvard Library Innovation Laboratory implements in software ideas about how libraries can be ever more valuable. The Lab works in three broad areas: thinking in public, building software that demonstrates how libraries can bring yet more value to scholars and researchers, and amplifying our effect by eagerly partnering with other groups with similar passions. More information can be found at http://www.librarylab.law.harvard.edu/

About H2O:

H2O is a Web-based platform for creating, editing, organizing, consuming, and sharing course materials. H2O is based on the open source model, a method of writing software that relies on the strength and skills of a community, rather than a single person, to develop a product. Instead of locking down materials in formalized casebooks, we believe that course books should be “free” (as in free speech) for everyone to access and build upon. Using H2O, professors can freely pull together materials for a course by selecting cases, editing those cases to the sections that are most relevant, and grouping them into readings. Once the materials are assembled, they can be copied in part or in whole by other interested faculty and then edited further. H2O has been successfully piloted in Professor Jonathan Zittrain’s 1L Torts class, and will be rolling out further over the coming year. More information can be found at http://h2odev.law.harvard.edu/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woozle wuzzle
Mar 10, 2012

Boosted_C5 posted:

Probably just stick to Chapter 7.
This works, and its a good market. Sticking with 7's is definitely the way to go until you're comfortable with the system. Just another bit of advice is that often your best option for some clients is to turn them away. When they walk in the door they don't know what they want, so if you stick to 7's then a decent % of your clients walking in the door won't qualify/need it/etc. You could think it's a slam-dunk 7, then realize late in the game that they don't qualify for whatever reason. They may have already paid significant money, and your rent/mortgage is due and it's really painful to consider handing it back. But if your spider-sense is tingling and it's blowing up into a 13 or messy 7, then let the case go. It's hard to turn paying clients away, but a 7 only practice will require it.

Sticking to chapter 7 is definitely the way to start, as 13's are a god drat mystery in comparison. It can dovetail with finding a mentor type bankruptcy attorney in your area. They answer your chapter 7 questions, and you send them your messy cases. I'm in the Eastern District of VA, and you'll be Western.

woozle wuzzle fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 7, 2012

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

prussian advisor posted:

This continues to puzzle me. Why become a prosecutor if you don't want to take cases to trial?
Burnout and/or pressure to keep a 98% conviction rate.

Also, quite frankly where I last worked the number of cases set for trial any one week would take a month to try (in large part because a certain DA had terrible deals). That basically means that a majority will have to be dismissed that day.

nm fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 7, 2012

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

woozle wuzzle posted:

Sticking to chapter 7 is definitely the way to start, as 13's are a god drat mystery in comparison.

Also, never ever ever file a chapter 11 if you don't know what you are doing. Chapter 11's are crazy complex.

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
I'm an over-represented minority. Should I decline to report my race on the LSAC website?

Also I'm planning on writing the LSAT in October 2012, so I'm putting together a reading list. Will the 3 Powerscore Bibles (LG, LR and RC, published 2008, 2009 and 2010 respectively - still relevant?) plus some LSAC preptests provide a good enough background? I got a 168 on the 2007 LSAT from the LSAC website with 30 minutes per section so a course seems like it would be a waste of money. The OP recommends Powerscore but it was written many moons ago so I figured I'd test the current waters.

Good luck to everyone who still has finals!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Asian?
I'm not sure that is actually over represented in law school, but I don't know stats.

WaveLength
Nov 22, 2006

Feel the beat
Jewish. Pretty sure I'm over-represented. The first part was just me being facetious, I'm more concerned with the books part of my post.

WaveLength fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 7, 2012

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Just finished law school! School's out forever! until bar study starts in two weeks

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

MechaFrogzilla posted:

Just finished law school! School's out forever! until bar study starts in two weeks

Studying for the bar is really a hilarious prank on graduates thinking they're "done".

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Kalman posted:

And even if you want to take cases to trial, it probably isn't practical to take all of them to trial, just from a time perspective - you may want to take cases to trial but if you have three times as many cases as you can deal with, you're going to need to find some non-trial way to dispose of some of them.

I'm talking about people who are legitimately trial averse, and take extraordinary steps to do as few as possible (ideally none) and are surprisingly common in prosecutor and public defender's offices. Few of them have judicial ambitions, at least that aren't buried deeply enough to effect their decision makin process, and prosecution doesn't pay well enough at the entry level for it to be much of a draw, though it's certainly not the worst. Status kind of makes sense I guess, but people can have mixed reactions to it. I just find it odd that so many fundamentally trial- and conflict-averse people are drawn to state criminal practice when it's probably the most trial heavy and contentious field of law that exists in the US.

Stop
Nov 27, 2005

I like every pitch, no matter where it is.

Stop fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 14, 2013

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Stop posted:

Those books will be fine. 2007 LSAT doesn't have the dinosaur logic games but it's still recent enough to be relevant. I took my LSAT in 2010 so things might have changed, but just buy/take every test from 2006-2012 and you'll be fine.

Hahaha, are the dinosaur games from June 09 that notorious? They were on my actual test.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

prussian advisor posted:

I'm talking about people who are legitimately trial averse, and take extraordinary steps to do as few as possible (ideally none) and are surprisingly common in prosecutor and public defender's offices. Few of them have judicial ambitions, at least that aren't buried deeply enough to effect their decision makin process, and prosecution doesn't pay well enough at the entry level for it to be much of a draw, though it's certainly not the worst. Status kind of makes sense I guess, but people can have mixed reactions to it. I just find it odd that so many fundamentally trial- and conflict-averse people are drawn to state criminal practice when it's probably the most trial heavy and contentious field of law that exists in the US.
They have an ok paying job that they won't lose where they work an 8-5 and get weekends off. Trials interfere with that and why would they quit with the lifestyle and job security?
Plus the only think ex-DAs and PDs will get hired for is litigation.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Warszawa posted:

Hahaha, are the dinosaur games from June 09 that notorious? They were on my actual test.

It's not that they were notorious. If I remember correctly, that game was the first live use of a new gametype.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

The Warszawa posted:

I remember people my college year bitching endlessly about it. Mauve dinosaurs.

mutism
Feb 17, 2011

Chocolate Milk posted:

Congrats! I'm kinda jealous, going straight into a law firm.
Thanks! Yeah, the thing I'm most looking forward to — aside from the prestige and higher pay, of course — is only have to work 40 hours per week.

Congrats on the grad spot!

mutism fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 7, 2012

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

nm posted:

Burnout and/or pressure to keep a 98% conviction rate

Do any offices actually do poo poo like this? I've literally never encountered this, and it seems like it would be ridiculous and almost impossible to enforce. Like what's a conviction for these purposes? Giving the case away with a really low deal? Pleading it out to lesser amended charges? Do you count appellate results? If so do you count IAOC since its not the prosecutors fault? I can't see how you could measure "conviction rates" in a meaningful way. Plus some cases just need to be dropped, period, from an ethical perspective. Recognizing and dropping those cases is as much a factor in being an effective prosecutor as anything else.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
I'm solidly averaging 65% correct (which would extrapolate to a 130 RAW score) on practice MBE questions (Doing mini quizzes of 20-30 Qs).

I'm happy that I'm getting passing scores, but I really want to improve so I have room to tank state essays.

It's just so hard to make myself read outlines.

I miss school and just winging it. :(

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

WaveLength posted:

Also I'm planning on writing the LSAT in October 2012, so I'm putting together a reading list. Will the 3 Powerscore Bibles (LG, LR and RC, published 2008, 2009 and 2010 respectively - still relevant?) plus some LSAC preptests provide a good enough background? I got a 168 on the 2007 LSAT from the LSAC website with 30 minutes per section so a course seems like it would be a waste of money. The OP recommends Powerscore but it was written many moons ago so I figured I'd test the current waters.

Good luck to everyone who still has finals!

Depending on how your scoring went, I'd consider just getting the logic games bible and dumping the rest of the money on tests. I only bought three books, the LG bible and the two most recent collections of tests. I used those to self study from a 169 diagnostic to a 176 actual, so I don't think you should need much more than those.

Also, the mauve dinosaurs were fun! I don't understand what the issue was!

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

Boosted_C5 posted:

I'm solidly averaging 65% correct (which would extrapolate to a 130 RAW score) on practice MBE questions (Doing mini quizzes of 20-30 Qs).

I'm happy that I'm getting passing scores, but I really want to improve so I have room to tank state essays.

It's just so hard to make myself read outlines.

I miss school and just winging it. :(

Be careful not to burn out. I got over-fatigued on studying last time and ended up having to take the bar again. Conversely, isn't it a little early to be burning out? The bar's still in July, right?

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.
If you're going to study for three months straight for this thing, take the time to set yourself up for an awesome break afterwards. A big bar trip would be the best way to go, but just taking a bit of a break from anything even tangentially related to the law would be advisable.

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Solid Lizzie posted:

Anyone know of where I can find canned briefs for Canadian cases? Hoping for something besides Wikipedia.

Any particular topic?

Solid Lizzie
Sep 26, 2011

Forbes or GTFO

Zarkov Cortez posted:

Any particular topic?
Nah, have a Canadian Law final and it was just a survey class.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
I reeeeally don't like how clients are popping up in my facebook "people you may know" feed.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I reeeeally don't like how clients are popping up in my facebook "people you may know" feed.

Isn't that based partially on people looking at your account?

Schitzo
Mar 20, 2006

I can't hear it when you talk about John Druce

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Isn't that based partially on people looking at your account?

ReasonsI'mNotOnFacebook.txt

tau
Mar 20, 2003

Sigillum Universitatis Kansiensis
Tucker Max says (paraphrased), "DON'T loving GO TO LAW SCHOOL! ... If you're in law school, drop out. Now."

http://www.itsuptoyou.net/why-you-shouldnt-go-to-law-school/

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

tau posted:

Tucker Max says (paraphrased), "DON'T loving GO TO LAW SCHOOL! ... If you're in law school, drop out. Now."

I actually read it before I applied to and matriculated in law school. And I had even met Tucker Max at a book signing, where he drunkenly autographed a book with an :iceburn: about fat chicks. I am not good at heeding advice.

In unrelated news, I just unofficially passed the bar exam in Nevada so if I manage to go broke over the next 2 months I can start the job search or apply to be a PD or something.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Unamuno posted:

In unrelated news, I just unofficially passed the bar exam in Nevada so if I manage to go broke over the next 2 months I can start the job search or apply to be a PD or something. play Diablo 3

Unemployed people are the real lucky duckies this month

e: also, approve me on Twitter you scrub

Adar fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 9, 2012

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

So I have a friend who has been accepted into a T6 school and until recently, sought a deferment for a year as they felt she may have wanted to take time off for work and travel. She was granted this deferment and has until Friday to decide to take it or not. Now she's freaking out on whether it's ultimately the right decision to defer or if she should just start school this fall.

Some background tidbits:
She has a stable job for at least this year (more if she wishes)
She had general global travel plans for next year but is second guessing them.
Was set on deferring until a visit to the school brought about some anticipation about starting

Ultimately, she's not 100% sold on pursuing Law and just doesn't know if she wants to start down the path right now. However, she's extremely worried about wasting a year and ultimately not making the most of it.

She's spoken to quite a few people but is having a hard time deciding and the pressure's getting to her. Does anyone have any general word of advice that I could potentially relay to her?

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

iamsosmrt posted:

Ultimately, she's not 100% sold on pursuing Law and just doesn't know if she wants to start down the path right now. However, she's extremely worried about wasting a year and ultimately not making the most of it.

She's spoken to quite a few people but is having a hard time deciding and the pressure's getting to her. Does anyone have any general word of advice that I could potentially relay to her?

If she is unsure then she doesn't want to go.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
dude it's just a year, one extra year of loving life, making more money than you spend or owe, getting drunk, and not living under the oppressive reality that you could always have prepared for class a little better.

You live 80 years, Chicago can wait until 2013.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

iamsosmrt posted:

So I have a friend who has been accepted into a T6 school and until recently, sought a deferment for a year as they felt she may have wanted to take time off for work and travel. She was granted this deferment and has until Friday to decide to take it or not. Now she's freaking out on whether it's ultimately the right decision to defer or if she should just start school this fall.
She should take the deferment, spend the year enjoying her life, and deciding if she actually wants to sink the $150k+ into a degree that has a high probability of making her unhappy.

Like, if I could rewind the clock and retake the LSAT to get a better score so I could get into a T6 and then get a deferment, I would spend the year loving around as if I was on an extended summer vacation -- an easy job, low stress, the occasional run, snoozing on the beach... and so on. But now things just don't stop. It never stops.

At worst, taking a year deferment from a T6 is bad only if you want to graduate with a JD in three years instead of four. So, basically, what she would be "wasting" by taking a year deferment is

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

iamsosmrt posted:

Some background tidbits:
She has a stable job for at least this year (more if she wishes)
She had general global travel plans for next year but is second guessing them.
Was set on deferring until a visit to the school brought about some anticipation about starting

She might be able to defer for another year. I was able to defer for two years.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Ok, there's a pretty clear trend here. I appreciate the input everyone. Thanks!

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

Unamuno posted:

In unrelated news, I just unofficially passed the bar exam in Nevada so if I manage to go broke over the next 2 months I can start the job search or apply to be a PD or something.

How are PDs compensated?

I found out a few weeks ago that here Legal Aid staff lawyers (not private bar defence on a legal aid certificate) get paid the same as the Crown.

tau posted:

Skadden pays its 2nd year summer students in Toronto $3100/week

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 05:01 on May 10, 2012

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Zarkov Cortez posted:

How are PDs compensated?

I found out a few weeks ago that here Legal Aid staff lawyers (not private bar defence on a legal aid certificate) get paid the same as the Crown.

Clark county starts around $60k/yr which isn't bad given the fairly low COL. Less than most of California though (which is on par with DAs).
Washoe county is lockstep with the DAs, don't know if all counties are.

nm fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 10, 2012

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Was finishing up work this evening when the fiance called.
Her: "X invited us to dinner, want to go to his place?"
Me: "Sure, what time?"
Her: "Well, I just put a cake in the oven, so I'll be an hour late picking you up from work, will it be okay if you have to stick around there a while longer?"
Me: "Yep, that way I can get some more work done."

Two minutes later, in my head.
"I just told my fiance I was glad she couldn't come say hello, so that I can stay late and get work done..."

:negative:

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
Took me three days to get halfway done with editing my last paper for school and I have the rest of tonight to do the other half.

I'm confident I had the hardest, most pointless schedule of any 3L here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Is it reasonable to be a 2L and not give a gently caress about proper citations? Presently, I have citations like "Id. at GOD KNOWS" and my citations to a foreign court are basically their numbering system for cases, followed by "available at http://catindia.gov.in/Judgement.aspx"

For what it's worth, the bluebook doesn't have poo poo for the Indian Cyber Appellate Tribunal. So if anyone is well-versed in Indian law, is there a more proper citation? And if you are, how do I best cite to an act that's been amended? The bluebook just gives guidelines for a primary act, but no help for amendments, and this stupid act is useless without the Amendment.

Also, final papers for a class that are pretty much law review fodder suck. But I did manage to gin up 11 more pages tonight, after creating 17 or so on the 1st night I wrote the paper. 31 pages is fine if the requirement is "at least 20 pages," right? Still have to write the syllabus and conclusion, though.