Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyRaptor
Aug 27, 2004

Fuck Sandy Petersen, again.

SNOT CORN posted:

Can you do some more videos of you playing lovely maps? thanks

Eh. I've kind of gotten the itch to do videos again recently, but I can't seem to get my capture software to record with acceptable fidelity consistently. Plus I'm horribly out of the loop in regard to the LP forum these days (haven't really been in there since my Doom 64 thread ended).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

CyRaptor posted:

Eh. I've kind of gotten the itch to do videos again recently, but I can't seem to get my capture software to record with acceptable fidelity consistently. Plus I'm horribly out of the loop in regard to the LP forum these days (haven't really been in there since my Doom 64 thread ended).
The same thing only co-commentators are the norm unless you got a real good gimmick.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

"Hey guys, welcome to let's play The Ultimate Doom - with my feet! :haw:"

I remember enjoying your LPs of Doom 2 & Doom 64, Cyraptor, and I remember you going on about a Duke Nukem 3D LP so I'd like to see that as well; more than anything though, I'd love to see you slog through episodes 2 & 3 of The Ultimate Doom because whoo boy are those the quintessential "gently caress Sandy Petersen" maps right there. loving House Of Pain oh my god. :froggonk:

an_mutt fucked around with this message at 13:51 on May 8, 2012

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

an_mutt posted:

"Hey guys, welcome to let's play The Ultimate Doom - with my feet! :haw:"

I remember enjoying your LPs of Doom 2 & Doom 64, Cyraptor, and I remember you going on about a Duke Nukem 3D LP so I'd like to see that as well; more than anything though, I'd love to see you slog through episodes 2 & 3 of The Ultimate Doom because whoo boy are those the quintessential "gently caress Sandy Petersen" maps right there. loving House Of Pain oh my god. :froggonk:

I'm sorry but there's no worse Sandy Petersen atrocity than The Pit.

Ultimate Doom is pretty tedious to me though, not because of Sandy Petersen being awful, but because after Doom 2 spoiled me with the Super Shotgun, I just can't go back to plinking Demons with the regular one anymore. :(

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Petersen didn't design any Ultimate Doom maps, I think he's talking about the entire episodes 2&3 of Doom in general...none of which are as bad as Doom 2's city levels imo.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
I enjoyed The Pit. :colbert:

But yeah, House of Pain can go choke on a dick alongside most of The Ultimate Doom after episode 1 (especially the John Romero maps in Episode 4). The levels were fun the first time through when I was new to Doom, but they don't hold up well in retrospect.

So I finally beat Doom II (with The Kins lovely ReDoom mod because I dislike Brutal Doom's balance). Are the Master Levels worth playing through? I beat attack.wad last night, and took a stab at teeth.wad today...it wasn't all that pleasant.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Paul Pot posted:

Petersen didn't design any Ultimate Doom maps, I think he's talking about the entire episodes 2&3 of Doom in general...none of which are as bad as Doom 2's city levels imo.

Apologies, I habitually refer to all of Doom 1 as "Ultimate Doom" since I'm stupid.

Sandy Petersen is chiefly responsible for all eighteen levels in episodes 2 and 3.

Paul Pot
Mar 4, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Some of those aren't all that bad and likely designed by Tom Hall.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

DoomWiki.org posted:

Hall was the designer of several maps in Doom and Doom II, although these were tweaked or expanded in varying degrees by Sandy Petersen or John Romero. The Alpha versions of Doom contain several other maps of his design in varying stages of completion.
A complete list of these maps follows[2]:
[edit]Doom level design credits
E1M4: Command Control (finished by Romero)
E1M8: Phobos Anomaly (finished by Petersen)
E2M1: Deimos Anomaly (Petersen)
E2M2: Containment Area (Petersen)
E2M3: Refinery (Petersen)
E2M4: Deimos Lab (Petersen)
E2M7: Spawning Vats (Petersen)
E3M3: Pandemonium (Petersen)
E3M7: Limbo (Petersen)
[edit]Doom II level design credits
MAP10: Refueling Base (Petersen)

You are indeed correct Paul.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
Playing Quake 2. It's weird, but I like the level design (it's wacky and inhuman, but it makes sense because you're fighting ROBOTS, plus the little touches like 'comms station' where you just came from which most level designers neglect for some loving reason'.

I can't loving find the Yellow Key in Spirit World of DooM 2, argh. (speaking of that - I'm playing it via AEOD, and it's a blast. Though, does anyone know where this gun's from?

Also: Was there an attempt to demake DooM 3 to DooM 1/2? I know there's Classic DooM for DooM 3 and I have the DooM 3 weapon .wad. (And I'm still searching for a Quake 1/Quake 2 remake on Q4...)

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

misterdoo01 posted:

I enjoyed The Pit. :colbert:

The Pit is good...except for the fact that you always start out with poo poo for ammo on the next level - which is rough even if not playing from a pistol start, especially the opening fight. I'm still trying to beat that level on Brutal Doom.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

JackMackerel posted:

I can't loving find the Yellow Key in Spirit World of DooM 2, argh.

It's in the throne room right after the Spider Mastermind(s).

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

JackMackerel posted:

I can't loving find the Yellow Key in Spirit World of DooM 2, argh. (speaking of that - I'm playing it via AEOD, and it's a blast. Though, does anyone know where this gun's from?
From Turok 2, it's called the Firestorm cannon I think?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Wolfenstein 3D has been re-released as a free-to-play HTML5 browser game! Only seems to have the first three "original missions" so far, but maybe that will change later on. Click here to play!

There's also a 25 minute director's commentary on the original game from John Carmack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amDtAPHH-zE

And just to top things off, the iOS port is free for a limited time, and there's an overly goofy BJ Mask out for Xbox 360 Avatars.

The Kins fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 9, 2012

Nih
Oct 22, 2008
I figured someone might enjoy this... It's a boss battle from a Sven Co-op (half-life mod) map. It's uh, quite special, but mildly non-worksafe.

:nws:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOuL5HnA07U
:nws:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
What's :nws: about Vienna sausage monsters? :v:

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

The Kins posted:

Wolfenstein 3D has been re-released as a free-to-play HTML5 browser game! Only seems to have the first three "original missions" so far, but maybe that will change later on. Click here to play!

There's also a 25 minute director's commentary on the original game from John Carmack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amDtAPHH-zE

And just to top things off, the iOS port is free for a limited time, and there's an overly goofy BJ Mask out for Xbox 360 Avatars.

This is a pretty good listen if you have 30 minutes to kill. I also highly recommend reading Masters of Doom if you can find a copy. I remember being pretty amazed when I played Wolf3d for the first time back in the early nineties, and was even more amazed when my family moved to Dallas - where all this was made.

Actually I remember once I ordered something off of id's website and instead of mailing it to me they sent one of their employees to drive out to my house. I should have been like WHAAAAATT but instead was like oh thanks. I think I had ordered a white t-shirt with the original doom logo on it, then it was thrown out after bleeding all over it from getting my wisdom teeth removed, thanks mom. drat I wish I still had that shirt.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 9, 2012

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I was in Bed, Bath & Beyond the other week and there was a chick doing her bridal registry wearing a Doom 3 bomber jacket. She certainly wasn't the classiest chick ever but I really wanted to ask her where the hell she found that.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I should storm their office as its less than 5 minutes from where I work and demand a t-shirt.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yodzilla posted:

I was in Bed, Bath & Beyond the other week and there was a chick doing her bridal registry wearing a Doom 3 bomber jacket. She certainly wasn't the classiest chick ever but I really wanted to ask her where the hell she found that.

I have a pretty kickass Doom 3 t-shirt :smug:

(It came with the collector's edition)

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Actually I remember once I ordered something off of id's website and instead of mailing it to me they sent one of their employees to drive out to my house. I should have been like WHAAAAATT but instead was like oh thanks. I think I had ordered a white t-shirt with the original doom logo on it, then it was thrown out after bleeding all over it from getting my wisdom teeth removed, thanks mom. drat I wish I still had that shirt.

An original Doom shirt with real bloodstains would probably be my most treasured possession if I had one.

As it is, my only experience of Doom in conjunction with blood is that I managed to sneeze a disgusting bloodclot onto my hand after a nasty flu while playing Dead Simple. I freaked out and waved my hand around, thinking I had just sneezed out some kind of leech, and got blood all over my room.

I can't look at Mancubi anymore without feeling the same tepid splat against my hand. Which is, I suppose, appropriate.

CyRaptor
Aug 27, 2004

Fuck Sandy Petersen, again.

Paul Pot posted:

Some of those aren't all that bad and likely designed by Tom Hall.

I know I got a reputation for whining about Sandy Petersen (see custom title), but it's because I never played Doom 1 on video. Tom Hall is way, way worse. Sandy's maps are indisputably ugly as poo poo, but they're usually fun to play or at least creative in their design, particularly in Doom II. Tom Hall's maps are just incredibly boring. His mapping style was to aimlessly cram as many unremarkable interconnected rooms as possible into a small area. Even after Petersen made a pass at salvaging them gameplay-wise there is little flow to any of his levels - it's possible to finish many of them without visiting probably over half of the map (E2M2, E2M3 and E3M3 especially). The architecture of his levels lacks much in the way of height or light variation and has few landmarks. None of the "rules" John Romero set for himself when designing Episode 1 (which you can find among the DTWID press) that made those levels so universally loved can be applied to any of Tom's maps.

Now, to be fair to the guy, his maps were designed when Doom was originally planned to be a much slower game with more realistic level layouts, but it doesn't make their presence in the final game any less problematic. Play the early Alphas some time to see what Doom would've been like had Tom Hall had his way. It's no fun navigating those levels, and it's not just because of the slower controls and not-yet-implemented enemy AI.

E2M5 is probably my least favorite level in Doom 1 because it's Sandy trying his very hardest to imitate Tom's mapping style and therefore has basically no redeeming qualities.

CyRaptor fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 9, 2012

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

CyRaptor posted:

E2M5 is probably my least favorite level in Doom 1 because it's Sandy trying his very hardest to imitate Tom's mapping style and therefore has basically no redeeming qualities.

It's funny you should say E2M5, because having just played through the entirety of The Ultimate Doom testing out my definitely illegal The Complete Doom wad I'm compiling, I have to say my least favorite it the one directly preceding it. Deimos Lab comes across as having been the inspiration for all those terrible PWADs developed in 1994. I mean, a whole wall textured with that marble satyr face? It's a real mess. I am much more forgiving than you when it comes to level designs it seems--I enjoyed many of Tom Hall's levels in The Shores of Hell and Inferno--but Deimos Lab definitely made me recoil in horror.

Speaking of, anyone here knowledgeable enough with the WAD format that they could help me make a potentially LEGAL version of The Complete Doom? I figure it could be done with just a WAD with nothing but the MAPINFO and stuff in it if some sort of batch conversion tool could be made to automatically copy and rename maps and textures to it. This is definitely something I'd like to share because man was it fun blowing my way through The Ultimate Doom and then coming into Entryway with the full arsenal.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
I'm certainly not a fan of the Shores of Hell episode myself. The map quality went up quite a bit with Doom II. On the note of maps, I'll ask again, are the Master Levels worth playing?

SnipeBob
Dec 8, 2006

"You mechs may have copper wiring to reroute your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel."

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Deimos Lab comes across as having been the inspiration for all those terrible PWADs developed in 1994. I mean, a whole wall textured with that marble satyr face? It's a real mess.

I had to go back to the level to see what you were referring to. I never noticed that awful looking texture, for some reason. I hated that level for a different reason. It has too much open space and is boring to play through.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Here's a nice resource for people who want to quickly take a look at maps: http://ian-albert.com/games/doom_maps/

It's large isometric-rendered images of the Classic Doom episodes 1-3, including placements of actors.

Oooh he also did Doom 2: http://ian-albert.com/games/doom_2_maps/

Catalyst-proof fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 10, 2012

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

misterdoo01 posted:

On the note of maps, I'll ask again, are the Master Levels worth playing?

Yes. They're pretty much a set of some of the best PWADs of 1994 and 1995.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
So, are there any other good Heretic/Hexen mods? I'm not liking the way that Curse of D'Sparil's difficulty comes from hordes of enemies in super, super close quarters and spawning behind you and not giving you a whole lot of ammo and health.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

catlord posted:

So, are there any other good Heretic/Hexen mods? I'm not liking the way that Curse of D'Sparil's difficulty comes from hordes of enemies in super, super close quarters and spawning behind you and not giving you a whole lot of ammo and health.

I seem to recall The History of Fruit being fun.

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

misterdoo01 posted:

Are the Master Levels worth playing through? I beat attack.wad last night, and took a stab at teeth.wad today...it wasn't all that pleasant.

The WADs come from a variety of authors and showcase their particular gameplay styles. If you liked ATTACK, I'd suggest the stuff from Klie, Anderson, Willits and Mustaine. Kvernmo's BLOODSEA is close enough in scope to fit in with the rest. His other maps are very nasty (TEETH being the hardest, oh God that opening) and Flynn delights in puzzle-oriented gameplay which is not your average Doomer's cup of tea.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

catlord posted:

Hordes of Chaos X is the best Heretic WAD, hands down. Really, it's the only multi-level Heretic wad out there... practically.

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

I love listening to Carmack talk about id history. The same goes for Romero. If you haven't seen the interview done by Matt Chat, you should check it out: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1529B0DD6E51BE80&feature=plcp

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

So I finished my map, which you can grab here. I've balanced for all skill levels and added bits and bobs throughout as a surprise for people who have played the map already, but nothing too game-changing. Textures and what-not are pretty much final, unless someone wants to raise any sort of objection to something that really puts them off or a bug/HOM/whatever. Happy playing! :)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jasta posted:

I love listening to Carmack talk about id history.

My favorite JC video to date

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X68Mm_kYRjc

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Hadlock posted:

*JC chokin' like a pro*

I love JC, he's like professor Frink (or Jerry Lewis' Nutty Professor) in real life, speech mannerisms and everything.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:31 on May 12, 2012

Jasta
Apr 13, 2012

Man, I love Carmack even more now. And kind of want to learn Jiu-Jitsu.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Hadlock posted:

"Here's what I think of Lithtech!"

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I'm really sorry to ask such a basic question, but now that I've downloaded Reelism how do I open it? If I drag it onto my gzdoom I get this:

Again I know this is like MOD 101 but I'm new at this. I checked the Reelism ReadMe and couldn't find anything.

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
You need a newer version of GZDoom. Grab the latest build here.

It's been so long since they released an official build that everybody's just assumed to be using the latest beta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

H2Omelon posted:

You need a newer version of GZDoom. Grab the latest build here.

It's been so long since they released an official build that everybody's just assumed to be using the latest beta.
Oh nice, thanks. I had actually checked my version of GZdoom, and what I thought was the official site said there had been no updates since November 2010 :iiam: