Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
The dying days of WCW was such a rollercoaster. I was just getting into online dirtsheets at the time, and there was so much random news & info around. "Bischoff is moments away from announcing the Fusient purchase of WCW!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

tzirean posted:

Raw the same night.

Ahhh, so in the second hour?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

MassRayPer posted:

And Terry Taylor.

I did not know that. Was he?

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I did not know that. Was he?

Yes because when Russo and Ferrara left Vince made all workers sign one year non-compete contracts and Taylor refused, got fired and left to WCW.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Frot Lesnar posted:

Yes because when Russo and Ferrara left Vince made all workers sign one year non-compete contracts and Taylor refused, got fired and left to WCW.

TNA?

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

TNA?

No, WCW.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Was that an angle, or genuine fallout from his fleeing the company for half a million in that Chyna match?

It wasn't half a million. He got his PPV bonuses up front and a substantial payout for the match with Chyna, but no where close to half a million.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Was that an angle, or genuine fallout from his fleeing the company for half a million in that Chyna match?
It was genuine. Jarrett says he only asked for bonus checks he had already earned but not received and not a dollar more than his normal salary for that match.

Now it's super possible Russo conspired have Jarrett remain as IC champion after his contract ran out. Even though it falls on McMahon for letting that happen. This is the man who forgot to renew The Rock's contract and let him walk in 2004.

...But then McMahon re-hired Russo for a week in the mid 00s so how much bad blood could there really be with Jarrett?

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

El Duke posted:

No, WCW.

Jesus, did I ever misread that one.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Ktik posted:

Ahhh, so in the second hour?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50KqJrpykQI

On the official WWE YouTube channel no less. Oh Vince.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

...But then McMahon re-hired Russo for a week in the mid 00s so how much bad blood could there really be with Jarrett?

I imagine alot if Vince feels like he was slighted while doing a favor.

I think that's the key between things like Russo and Macho Man. There's a big difference between some rear end in a top hat leaving to fall on his face and somebody he considers a friend walking away from what he thinks is a sweet deal.

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

RBX posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50KqJrpykQI

On the official WWE YouTube channel no less. Oh Vince.

Ahhhhhhhahahahahahahah. I love Vince. Love him!

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Sporadic posted:

There's a big difference between some rear end in a top hat leaving to fall on his face

Leave Owen out of this.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

coconono posted:

I really wish WWE wouldn't sit so tight on the tape libraries and put together an actual best of wrestling in WCW comp instead of all the gaga matches they seem to love so.
This has always been a McMahon Ego™ thing to me - Vince going "NO! Don't ever put the good WCW matches out, I want everyone to think that they were always just a bunch of comedy shitcarters! WCW was never good! WCW was never good!" *violently rocks back and forth*

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Memento1979 posted:

This has always been a McMahon Ego™ thing to me - Vince going "NO! Don't ever put the good WCW matches out, I want everyone to think that they were always just a bunch of comedy shitcarters! WCW was never good! WCW was never good!" *violently rocks back and forth*

I am truly interested in how the company will handle this stuff once Vince retires/dies. Triple H obviously loves all wrestling and if he's in charge, I can see him bringing back War Games almost immediately. I know Stephanie will probably assume a lot of control, but if Triple H is very high up and allowed to be in charge of some of this stuff, I can see the DVDs and general acknowledgement of history getting much, much better.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Memento1979 posted:

Well, the WCW Ruins Everything part of Are You Serious? was great.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Memento1979 posted:

It's not even that. Who put on the good matches? The cruiser-weights? They don't draw, who would pay to see them?

Meanwhile, UFC smiles while walking to the bank.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I recently re-watched the April 2000 reboot episode to get a general feel for Russo's WCW. WCW got me into wrestling; there was an hour-long show on Channel 5 every Friday that a school friend and I would watch, going ape over Crowbar, wondering why the title changed hands so regularly and thinking how cool it was that they had real crows on the set for Sting's entrance.

So I was, erm, pretty young then and having been interested in pro wrestling again quite recently, I decided to see how my fond memories could be changed.

I don't know, like other posters here say you get all these hints that there are decent ideas all over the place only for them to be expressed just plain weirdly. Like, the reboot episode begins with the New Blood all angry in the ring, all ready to make a standand get their voices heard. It's cool that this, in theory, acts against the ridiculous backstage politics hierarchy WCW had for so many years, but at the same time... they're all just presented as the same nameless midcarders with only a few exceptions. It's more accurate to describe the whole thing in retrospect as a vehicle for Jeff Jarrett and I think I'm of the school that obviously respects the man but is far from likely to shriek, "Wow, Jeff Jarrett is there? I'm so in!".

I do however like his THE CHOSEN ONE entrance music. It's so WCW.

Geez, I could write some more about the questionable feuds and such that show set up. For now though, I'll just say that my favourite part was Shawn Stasiak making his debut and the announcers selling him by reminding us that he was Meat in WWE. I can just imagine Russo getting this during a brainstorm, grinning to himself, and proclaiming himself a genius for making it so Stasiak really hit the ground running.

Also, I have a question for you wrestling boffs. Was the reboot episode the debut of the Kevin Nash success formula of "arrive, talk about Scott Hall, leave", or was he doing it before then? I've had a look but maybe I'm just dumb or something.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Also, I have a question for you wrestling boffs. Was the reboot episode the debut of the Kevin Nash success formula of "arrive, talk about Scott Hall, leave", or was he doing it before then? I've had a look but maybe I'm just dumb or something.

I know he'd been doing it since December of 1999 when the nWo reformed again and Scott Hall wasn't around, but he was probably doing it before that whenever Scott Hall wasn't at a show

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

I know the NWO had about 392 different members, but can anyone here run down maybe why, real life or wrestling life, reasons why they joined that group? Like why the hell did Macho Man join them after feuding with them for a year? Why was Bryan Adams a member? Why did they let Stevie Ray into the NWO?

Here's the "original NWO" list:
Hollywood Hogan
Kevin Nash
Scott Hall
Ted DiBiase
The Giant
Vincent
Syxx
Buff Bagwell
Miss Elizabeth
nWo "Sting"
Curt Hennig
Konnan
Nick Patrick
Dennis Rodman
V.K.Wallstreet
Big Bubba Rogers
Rick Rude
Randy Savage
Scott Steiner
Scott Norton
Brian Adams
The Disciple

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Ktik posted:

I know the NWO had about 392 different members, but can anyone here run down maybe why, real life or wrestling life, reasons why they joined that group? Like why the hell did Macho Man join them after feuding with them for a year? Why was Bryan Adams a member? Why did they let Stevie Ray into the NWO?
There's no reason for a majority of those guys, they just wanted to put them over and at the time the best way was putting them into the NWO

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

I just find it insane that when some of these guys ended their feuds with the NWO, it meant it was now time to put them in. Dumb as WCW.

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me
I was listening to Mark Madden's radio show earlier this week(because I hate myself) and he said, I poo poo you not:

"A few months after I left WCW, they went under. Connect the dots"

Some dude also called in and told Mark he was a bigger draw than Davey Richards could ever dream of being.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Madden was over-the-top obnoxious as a heel announcer, worse than Cole ever was. About the only positive thing you could say about Madden is that he was never involved in his own angle (unless you count Tank Abbott beating him up that one time).

bartok
May 10, 2006

You forgot about Horace Boulder in your NWO list. I think Horace was initially part of Raven's flock until they realized he was Hogan's cousin and promptly had him join the NWO.
There was also this weird period of time where NWO was made up almost entirely of midcarders and Stevie Ray was the leader.

bartok fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 19, 2012

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Chunky Delight posted:

You forgot about Horace Boulder in your NWO list. I think Horace was initially part of Raven's flock until they realized he was Hogan's cousin and promptly had him join the NWO.
There was also this weird period of time where NWO was made up almost entirely of midcarders and Stevie Ray was the leader.

That was during that time when the NWO was split up into two factions, where the wolfpac was the uppercarders and the black and white were the "B-team".

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

Chunky Delight posted:

I only copied the original NWO. Horace joined in the second incarnation (after the fingerpoke of doom) along with Disco Inferno. My list was NWO Hollywood, you're thinking of NWO Elite (Hogan, Nash, ect) and NWO B-Team (jobbers).

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Wikipedia does a good job at breaking it down:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_World_Order_(professional_wrestling)#List_of_incarnations_and_members

bartok
May 10, 2006

Ktik posted:

I only copied the original NWO. Horace joined in the second incarnation (after the fingerpoke of doom) along with Disco Inferno. My list was NWO Hollywood, you're thinking of NWO Elite (Hogan, Nash, ect) and NWO B-Team (jobbers).

You're right. Fingerpoke of doom was around the time when I switched to watching Raw live and recording Nitro and would fast forward through most of the promos.

So is V.K. Wallstreet just Mike Rotunda reprising his Michael Wallstreet gimmick with an added jab at Vince McMahon?

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ktik posted:

Here's the "original NWO" list:
Hollywood Hogan
Kevin Nash
Scott Hall
Ted DiBiase
The Giant
Vincent
Syxx
Buff Bagwell
Miss Elizabeth
nWo "Sting"
Curt Hennig
Konnan
Nick Patrick
Dennis Rodman
V.K.Wallstreet
Big Bubba Rogers
Rick Rude
Randy Savage
Scott Steiner
Scott Norton
Brian Adams
The Disciple
Notice a pattern? Nearly all ex-WWF stars.
The NWO was a WWF invasion of WCW in all but name.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ktik posted:

Horace joined before that, during the Warrior/Hogan feud.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

I posted:

Notice a pattern? Nearly all ex-WWF stars.
The NWO was a WWF invasion of WCW in all but name.

Well yeah that was the point... or did you not realize before?

I
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Lone Rogue posted:

Well yeah that was the point... or did you not realize before?
You realize this was all planned out by Vince McMahon to destroy WCW from within?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Astro7x posted:

Wikipedia does a good job at breaking it down:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_World_Order_(professional_wrestling)#List_of_incarnations_and_members
The nWo B-team entry says

The Giant (departed), Curt Hennig (kicked out of the group), Vincent (left), Scott Norton (left), Brian Adams (kicked out of the group), Horace Hogan, Stevie Ray (leader, left)

I'd like to imagine that somewhere and to this day, Horace Hogan is nestled in his bed, sleeping soundly in his nWo shirt which he refuses to take off.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Did they seriously do next to nothing with The Giant for the last few months in WCW?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Jack Krauser posted:

Did they seriously do next to nothing with The Giant for the last few months in WCW?
Eric was terrible at using guys on their way out and Giant was almost always misused after the Hogan feud.
He didn't even put Nash over in the end.
There was a ton of interference.

Related: Jericho's last WCW match was a DQ loss. :wtc:

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

CVagts posted:

Madden was over-the-top obnoxious as a heel announcer, worse than Cole ever was. About the only positive thing you could say about Madden is that he was never involved in his own angle (unless you count Tank Abbott beating him up that one time).

I don't blame you for forgetting it, but he and Mean Gene had a terrible match on Thunder where you saw Madden's gross pasty white gut.

You're welcome.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Haha, Madden is so out of shape Mene Gene couldn't even hook his leg.

Also, Mark Madden wasn't a heel announcer, he was himself.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Got a good laugh out of Mean Gene flopping onto Madden's back and nearly sliding out of the ring while Madden tries to make a pin out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ktik posted:

I just find it insane that when some of these guys ended their feuds with the NWO, it meant it was now time to put them in. Dumb as WCW.

Didn't in Jericho's book didn't he say that Nash wanted to put Jericho in the NWO that was a sign they wanted to destroy his heat?