Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Except that's only a small part of the game. The GTA series is fun in part because of that, not exclusively. These things don't really exist in a vacuum.
Sure. It also becomes a question of what kind of game it's intended to be: a “quick bash” pick-up-and-play kind of thing, with more of an arcade sensibility, or something that's supposed to be a bit more engaging. The trick is finding the right “bite size” for the gameplay it offers and managing to offer enough variations on a theme.

For instance, the reason I feel GTA IV fell on its face was that, unless you only did some faffing about and free-roaming stuff, it was far too long-winded and repetitive. I know some railed against the tutorials going on for at least half the first island, but to me, that was the more entertaining part since at least each new mission wanted you to do something new.

Also, see my on-second-thought edit above.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narmi
Feb 26, 2008

NINbuntu 64 posted:

Except for the fact that they already have working prototypes and have turned out a similar product already, yeah. Totally going to be vapourware.

There's also no touchscreen involved here, and they've got a previous version of the watch called inPulse.

In any case their Kickstarter is probably going to be over within a day once people realize there's only 700 watches left up for grabs (that's roughly the average daily pledge anyways).

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
I can't wait for mine :ohdear:. (bit of a watch geek)

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

So I thought for sure Match and Magic,http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1217383590/match-and-magic, wasn't going to make it, due to only being at 35% or so with a couple days to go, but looks like the dude's mom came through... ;)

"Jeff LaFlam 1 day ago

Hi guys,

Sorry I've been a bit quiet lately we had a death in the family so I've been dealing with that. I want to assure you that I did not pitch in the big chunk of money but I found out who did. My mom did. She surprised me and I can't thank her enough (love you mom!). Thank you all for your kind backings and words.
"

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
His MOM dropped $10,000 on his video game project? :raise: I can't decide if that's adorable, pitiful, or some obscure form of money laundering.

I'm curious to see what manner of 'evil boss man' his... mother designs.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

His MOM dropped $10,000 on his video game project? :raise: I can't decide if that's adorable, pitiful, or some obscure form of money laundering.

I'm curious to see what manner of 'evil boss man' his... mother designs.

If he was trying to launder money, having his mother use a credit card through a 3rd party agency that tracks stuff to send him money that's well within federal gift limits is a pretty stupid way to do it.

snipermonkey
Jun 30, 2010
Master Odin you should propably add Xenonauts into notable ongoing projects http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/69341191/xenonauts . Almost made half of their funding in one day.
Here's another project that looked interesting http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/realmsource/realm-explorer .
A mine craft clone and their pitch is ok too, but they are asking for 250,000! It might have been mentioned in this thread or some other thread in the past. Animation looks a bit clunky but the basics look fine. Not really a ringing endorsement, most likely won't meet their goal.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Narmi posted:

There's also no touchscreen involved here, and they've got a previous version of the watch called inPulse.

In any case their Kickstarter is probably going to be over within a day once people realize there's only 700 watches left up for grabs (that's roughly the average daily pledge anyways).

Thank you for pointing this out, I almost missed out by planning to wait until my birthday to put money down. By that point they'd all be gone :ohdear:

snipermonkey
Jun 30, 2010
Master Odin you should also expand the explanation on how the kickstarter donation/pledging system works. It's pretty bare bones and we have many posters who are still confused by how the funding model really works. An better explanation would be good.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Master Odin, Master Odin! You have to talk about the Guys From Andromeda! I even made a thread! Add them to the OP, pronto!

Fintilgin posted:

The amount of money that would be laundered is so pitiful as to not even be worth the trouble. I will go with "adorable" on this one.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 10, 2012

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
The money laundering thing was kinda a joke, guys. :shobon:

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies

Fintilgin posted:

The money laundering thing was kinda a joke, guys. :shobon:
Still doesn't stop it from getting to the very acclaimed and special bottom list in the second post. It's these kind of success stories that bring a tear to my eye. :colbert:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Well, it's not done, but Grim Dawn has achieved it's funding goal and then some, with 8 more days to go still.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
The second attempt at funding the 1986 Portal remake is up.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Has there been any news on Dead State? I heard they were going to do a kickstarter, but that was a month ago and I don't see anything else about it.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Has there been any news on Dead State? I heard they were going to do a kickstarter, but that was a month ago and I don't see anything else about it.

According to recent posts on their forums, "very soon." They want the trailer to be as good as it can be before they launch, so it's still being polished.

ElProducto
Oct 9, 2001
if you want to live low, live low

InShaneee posted:

Oh no, that I get. I was more referring to the fact he seems to be kinda angry about the fact that she's a woman in the first place. I could be reading too much into it.

This is a pretty late reply but I called her self centered because she put a big goofy picture of her SeriousFace smack at the top of her kickstarter, somehow thinking that she and her image are more recognizable than her games. Settle down.

GoldenDelicious
Feb 20, 2008

One A Day.
I was looking over some kickstarters today, and I had two ideas I wanted to toss out and get feedback on as possible things I could look into getting funding for (and I do apologize if this isn't what the thread is for; I skimmed through a number of pages and didn't see a better place to put this):

1. eSports Photo/Video journal: Travel to every major eSports event for all of next year - Every MLG, every IPL, every Dreamhack and Homestory cup, NASL, GSL/ONOG finals, WCG, etc., all tracked on a blog with written entries, photo entries, and video entries. If possible, travel to pro-team/famous independent player homes for day/weekend.

2. From Zero to Hero - Becoming a Professional Gamer: Spend one year playing Starcraft 2, League of Legends, Magic: The Gathering, or some other competitive game five days a week for 8-10 hours a day, with the final goal of a) compete at a major invitational tournament, b) be recruited to a professional team, or c) both.

Both are very rough ideas right now, with the latter being incredibly self serving but possibly achievable and most likely much less expensive in regards to travel expenses that would be incurred. I might make the first one something much more domestic (every MLG, every IPL, or both) if it looks like the cost of international travel would be that much overboard that even I would look at it and go "woah man, that's a lot of money to give for going to watch people play video games".

Would anyone be willing to back either or both of these projects, and if not do you have any suggestions on how to change them to make it more appealing?

EDIT: VVVV I was worried about that; I might rework it to be more along the lines of setup/streaming/equipment, or remove it altogether if it's still too hard to not count as that.

EDIT 2: Yeah; thinking about it some more I really can't think of any way to make it not what is essentially a "Fund My Life" Kickstarter. However, advice/comments/criticisms on the first are still more than welcome!

GoldenDelicious fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 10, 2012

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

GoldenDelicious posted:

2. From Zero to Hero - Becoming a Professional Gamer: Spend one year playing Starcraft 2, League of Legends, Magic: The Gathering, or some other competitive game five days a week for 8-10 hours a day, with the final goal of a) compete at a major invitational tournament, b) be recruited to a professional team, or c) both.

Would anyone be willing to back either or both of these projects, and if not do you have any suggestions on how to change them to make it more appealing?

I'll just politely point out that this probably falls under the 'fund my life' category of prohibited Kickstarter ideas.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.
I actually sort of know these guys so I feel like I should pass this on: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1675907842/pathfinder-online-technology-demo

I'm still really not a fan of "help us pitch to an investor" kickstarters, but if you're going to do one, I think this is about the best method I've seen for it. They're extremely straightforward about what you're funding to the point of including it in the title, and they're not promising anything they can't deliver (even though it makes their rewards pretty lackluster at lower tiers).

It's kind of weird, though, how much more funding it's getting than Storybricks. I really like Storybricks. :(

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Prosthetic_Mind posted:

The Pebble project is on the verge of breaking 10 million, looks like we have a new record on our hands.

They're past 10 million. And completely out of stock according to the reward bar :psyduck:

And here I was thinking Double Fine's record was never going to be topped.

Edit: At this point, I would just want to invest in Kickstarter proper. Must be a very odd feeling raking in that much money after just hosting indie games and hotdog carts for a while.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

seorin posted:

I actually sort of know these guys so I feel like I should pass this on: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1675907842/pathfinder-online-technology-demo

I'm still really not a fan of "help us pitch to an investor" kickstarters, but if you're going to do one, I think this is about the best method I've seen for it. They're extremely straightforward about what you're funding to the point of including it in the title, and they're not promising anything they can't deliver (even though it makes their rewards pretty lackluster at lower tiers).

It's kind of weird, though, how much more funding it's getting than Storybricks. I really like Storybricks. :(

It's probably because Storybricks' pitch was an incomprehensible mess that required discussion and thought to fully understand in the first place. Considering they're building a campaign on "we want to make it easier to manage stories and characters in an RPG setting" this is really loving ironic.

On top of that, it's Pathfinder, and Pathfinder is a pretty big deal. I'd argue that far more people know about it than Shadowrun.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Is there a Kickstarter for FATAL yet?

Thewittyname
May 9, 2010

It's time to...
PRESS! YOUR! LUCK!
After thinking about it, I had to pull my pledge for Skyjacker, I just couldn't stomach them charging extra for basic things like an intro video and cut scenes. It's too bad, because the game itself looks quite nice, probably better than anything Starlight Inception will evolve into. But, reading through their posts, it looks like Skyjacker will be published even if the Kickstarter fails, so I guess I'll get back around to it some day. In the meantime, my $15 gets shifted to Carmageddon.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The MSJ posted:

Is there a Kickstarter for FATAL yet?

:stonk: Even as a joke, this is going too far. Too goddamn far.

SparkTR
May 6, 2009
Conquest 2: The Vyrium Uprising just got an ambitious Kickstarter. Conquest Frontier Wars was a kickass RTS with some unique ideas (like multiple battle maps in single match). The sequel has been in development hell for a while now and I gave up on it years ago, but it's surfaced on Kickstarter of all places and I hope it makes it. I really want it to exist.

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

SparkTR posted:

Conquest 2: The Vyrium Uprising just got an ambitious Kickstarter. Conquest Frontier Wars was a kickass RTS with some unique ideas (like multiple battle maps in single match). The sequel has been in development hell for a while now and I gave up on it years ago, but it's surfaced on Kickstarter of all places and I hope it makes it. I really want it to exist.

Oh gently caress you, I was about to post that. I thought I was the only goon that knew about this little forgotten marvel.

Wing Commander/Freelancer guys making an RTS = Conquest: Frontier Wars. It had hero admirals before Sins of a Solar Empire was a glint in Stardock's eye, it had a great supply system that was not there just to annoy you, multiple wormhole-connected maps, etc.

If you never heard of it, it's because Microsoft bought Digital Anvil when CFW was 95% finished. Suddenly, they were only in making Xbox games. Ubisoft did sign to publish the nearly finished game, but just shoved it out of the door for a quick buck, without any marketing to speak of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBknmWnEr1Y&feature=player_detailpage#t=82s

Dear god, has it been more than 10 years?

edit: Speaking of Wing Commander, look who's still alive :shobon:

Beef fucked around with this message at 15:35 on May 10, 2012

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Haunts: The Manse Macabre
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2066438441/haunts-the-manse-macabre
"An asymmetrical haunted house game, where one side plays the brave explorers and the other side plays the supernatural entities that want them gone. Light and shadow, bravery and brains all come into play in this deadly game of hide and seek."

Some guys from City of Heroes are making a two player turn based strategy game. It looks like X-Com crossed with Haunting Starring Polterguy.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
That's kind of neat. I wonder if it requires two people to be playing actively or if it can be done in a play-by-mail style ala Frozen Synapse.

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

SparkTR posted:

So many games to back :negative:.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1675907842/pathfinder-online-technology-demo

There are so many things that are wrong with this.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
He’s been called “the Steve Jobs of MMO Marketing.” ...by someone who didn't know who Steve Jobs was.

What a boring video that says nothing about the product other than an MMO "created by the community" whatever the gently caress that means. Sounds like a scam.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

SparkTR posted:

Oh my God. C:FW is back. Holy gently caress :aaaaa: Definitely putting 15 bucks into this. C:FW was the best RTS that nobody ever loving heard of. I doubt it will succeed at that goal, though.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

seorin posted:

No offense to your friends/acquaintances, but this is kind of shady and misleading. It's not even explained well in the pitch video that this is backing for a tech demo for a pitch which MAY get picked up by investors. The pitch video tells you nothing about the game itself other than a mention of the setting and that it's going to be "persistent and player-driven," which are just astonishingly meaningless buzzwords. One of the rewards for backing is actually getting to see a video of the nonexistent tech demo which should have been the pitch video to begin with. So I get to pay to back a project just so I can see what I wanted to see to start with? Some proof that a game might exist?

I get what they're doing, and given the creators' reputations I'm sure this is legit. But a pitch video with zero content for an MMO-scale project promising lofty, vague, buzzwordy goals FEELS wrong. People with as much industry experience and credibility as these people claim to have should honestly know better. This is, at best, a very dubious use of KickStarter.

e: Or maybe I'm just being sour grapes. It just feels a little bit intentionally misleading, and that bothers me.

speng31b fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 10, 2012

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

BrainParasite posted:

Haunts: The Manse Macabre
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2066438441/haunts-the-manse-macabre
"An asymmetrical haunted house game, where one side plays the brave explorers and the other side plays the supernatural entities that want them gone. Light and shadow, bravery and brains all come into play in this deadly game of hide and seek."

Some guys from City of Heroes are making a two player turn based strategy game. It looks like X-Com crossed with Haunting Starring Polterguy.

Wow, that sounds really cool. Backed.

Seems kinda like a a turn-based squad-level Dungeon Keeper which lets you play either side.

EDIT: full game for 5 bucks

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

That entire Pathfinder write-up is one giant buzzword.

snipermonkey
Jun 30, 2010

evilmiera posted:

They're past 10 million. And completely out of stock according to the reward bar

And here I was thinking Double Fine's record was never going to be topped.

Edit: At this point, I would just want to invest in Kickstarter proper. Must be a very odd feeling raking in that much money after just hosting indie games and hotdog carts for a while.

Also one of their updates said they purposefully limited the amount, so the pebble project could have gotten even more money.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

mutata posted:

Pretty much this is exactly why I don't like it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mutata posted:

The best part was discovering that the profile picture for one of the developers was leeching off of Wizards of the Coast's servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef
Jul 26, 2004

Tsurupettan posted:

Oh my God. C:FW is back. Holy gently caress :aaaaa: Definitely putting 15 bucks into this. C:FW was the best RTS that nobody ever loving heard of. I doubt it will succeed at that goal, though.

Scrounged up 50 bux, goddamn I want this. 675k in 30 days is going to be hard though, unless RPS or some other big PC gaming voices pick up the story.

I'll see if I can find my copy somewhere, it's probably still playable over LogMeIn or something similar.