Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

keevo posted:

The exception being DJ Vice.

Also the Great DJ Luxor. Not to mention Pauly D

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anae
Apr 23, 2008
Oredun posted some great stuff, but I'd just like to point out that if you are in the UK you should take it with a pinch of salt - while I assume what he posted is true for the US, over here the 'underground' is much more popular and getting moreso literally every day. The two nights I play at are always full every week, and the audience is always at least 50% girls too.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Anae posted:

Oredun posted some great stuff, but I'd just like to point out that if you are in the UK you should take it with a pinch of salt - while I assume what he posted is true for the US, over here the 'underground' is much more popular and getting moreso literally every day. The two nights I play at are always full every week, and the audience is always at least 50% girls too.

i guess my advice is only for scenes that have a relatively smaller underground than mainstream crowds. i assume the UK is more into "underground" as are major cities in the US. I dont live in a major city or the UK.

To the used carsalesmen DJ, i believe its because DJs that dj for money tend to be the more entrepreneur type and used car sales falls into that category.

EDIT: i feel like this post might have a hateful tone but i dont mean it like that.

And to the dudes saying i never want to go anywhere: do you really think you will make it anywhere playing music noone has ever heard? really? unless you are BLOWING UP on the internet literally no one wants to hear your music youve made yourself. NOONE. I have a studio, i enjoy making different flavors of house, honestly, DJing is what supports my gear addiction and lets me play in my studio instead of working. BUT! No one wants to hear that poo poo. If i was getting 10k views a week on soundcloud, yea, that might work, but until then it will literally take you nowhere. Ive seen it 1000 times before. Homeboys start making music, think their music is AMAZING, try playing their music, noone likes it and they get few to no gigs.

Id rather play some radio music along with my remixes or originals and continue to play gigs and actually let people hear my stuff instead of fighting for poo poo rear end gigs all the time.

I dont think you understand how im setting my self apart. You and everyone else think they need to make some half assed homemade music to get anywhere when thats simply not true. My difference is that common folk want to see me and not just the "heads".

For proof, just look at the wevels videos. Get low is seriously the gayest loving song ever, but it works wonders on a drunk crowd.

oredun fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 30, 2012

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
To support this from another direction, I was a drummer in a jazz quartet for 4 years. We primarily played 40s/50s/60s jazz swing. When it came to organizing set lists for gigs (private house parties, weddings, jazz festivals, bars, lounges, coffee shops, all sorts of gigs), the selection was almost entirely standards. Because the #1 truth is:

"People don't know what they like, but they like what they know."

Even if what they know is loving awful. Shorty got low low low low

The point is, the vast majority of audiences didn't want to hear whatever stupid song our stupid quartet came up with last week. They wanted to hear the most popular Ella & Louis, Sarah Vaughn, Billie Holiday, Miles Davis, etc. We recognized that, and were successful because of it.

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009
Traktor question here, apologies if it's already been covered but I didn't notice it in my skimming.

So if you hit a quick 1 bar loop, when you drop out of it the track continues at the point where the loop ends. What I'm looking for is a straightforward way to quickloop where, while the loop is playing the track progresses forward. So instead of the track going 1-1-2-3-4 you get 1-1-3-4 instead. I don't know if what I'm getting at is clear, so here is an example from the clean radio edit for Love Rance's "Beat the Pussy Up:"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPbFX1oagYM&t=40s

The actual lyric is obviously "I beat the pussy up." If you just used Traktor's quickloop button, you'd end up with "I beat the beat the pussy up, etc," and what I'm looking for is a simple way to get that "beat the beat the up" on the fly.

My janky solution has been to put delay on FX2 with the freeze pre-triggered and just turn the effect on and off real quick, but it's easy to miss if you want a really short loop and when I do it can sound pretty awful. I asked one of my Traktoring buddies and he said the best he came up with was cutting up the loop ahead of time and triggering it from the sample deck, which he also admitted was a far from ideal solution. He's hoping I figure this one out too.

So, any ideas?

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
I'm not familiar with Traktor but what you're trying to do is usually called beat repeat.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Turn on advanced mode for the effects and use the beatmasher. It will do exactly what you want. In Serato Itch and Scratch Live it's called "loop roll" and you can activate it by hitting ctrl-alt-(1-5 or 6-0) for however long you want it to roll. You should set your auto loops to something short, the 1-whatever corresponds to the length. You can also assign it to a MIDI button, makes it a lot easier.

Edit: I know it was a traktor question but I know there are a few Serato folks in this thread that may not know about that.

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009
Thanks y'all, I'll give it a shot!

e: knowing that it's called a "loop roll" really helped. Here's what the NI forums had to say on the subject:

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115001&highlight=loop+roll

Also, this quote was made in reference to Serato's loop roll, which I think is a delightful way to textually express the sound of beat halving:

quote:

you just hit the "start loop roll" key/command once to trigger it - and indeed the rest is done automatically... halves itself automatically. bumm-bumm-bumm-bumm-bumbumbumbum-bubububu-bbbb etc. pp.

Volcanic Vents fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 5, 2012

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

You could also put some cue points at the specific spots you want em at and beat juggle em up.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Are Pioneer still the only company that makes CDjs worth a poo poo?

I'm in the market but I have a budget so I guess I'd be looking at Pioneer 350/400's or if I can find a really great deal on some 800s. Is there anything else I should be looking at or is that pretty much it?

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
I don't know about the other brands but if you go with Pioneer make sure you take a good look at the newer models. For some reason people are paying as much for used CDJ 1000s as the 900s are new and it baffles me.

Mr. BT
Oct 14, 2002
So I've made a ton of mixes at home using my APC40 and Ableton. But from what I've read in this thread, if I want to play parties, etc., Ableton might not be the best tool for that.

Should I venture over to Serato/Traktor if I ever want to DJ live?

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Mr. BT posted:

So I've made a ton of mixes at home using my APC40 and Ableton. But from what I've read in this thread, if I want to play parties, etc., Ableton might not be the best tool for that.

Should I venture over to Serato/Traktor if I ever want to DJ live?

No way a lot of the worlds biggest DJs use an APC40 and Ableton.

Just be courteous when you're setting up since you'll have to plug everything in so give yourself time and watch the DJ so you don't reach over him while hes mixing. Don't leave your poo poo on the equipment, like, don't prop your soundcard on the turntable toner arm or whatever.

Learn how to use a real mixer so you can adjust and test volume and levels and plug stuff in quick. You can also help plug stuff back in after youre done, and you won't accidentally unplug the CDj or something or mess up your wiring and have dead air while you figure out why its not playing.

Don't get into arguments with people about whats better, its pointless. Ignore people that tell you otherwise.

Personally, I'm switching over from Traktor to just CDs right now because quite frankly I hate carrying my laptop+midi controller around and setting it up when I can just put a CD/USB key in and play. I can also play back to back with my friends more easily.
Also I play a lot of underground parties so the booth is like a table or something and I've got tons of hosed up people around me hugging the booth who can easily spill something all over my poo poo.

I'd say thats the only argument is setup time and space. Personally I don't mind burning CDs some people hate it YMMV.

Ableton and the APC40 are great for live DJing.

Always carry extra cables with you, extra RCA cables especially.

Firaga fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 9, 2012

Mr. BT
Oct 14, 2002

Firaga posted:

No way a lot of the worlds biggest DJs use an APC40 and Ableton.

Ableton and the APC40 are great for live DJing.

I guess the difference would be that my favorite DJs are people like BT and Adam Freeland, who can pretty much pre-program their sets and go. It's harder to just drop in new tunes on the fly using Ableton. Do I just not give a gently caress and hit them with whatever I want them to hear? As in, I'm not a jukebox so don't ask?

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Mr. BT posted:

I guess the difference would be that my favorite DJs are people like BT and Adam Freeland, who can pretty much pre-program their sets and go. It's harder to just drop in new tunes on the fly using Ableton. Do I just not give a gently caress and hit them with whatever I want them to hear? As in, I'm not a jukebox so don't ask?

I'm not too familiar with how Ableton works, but you basically pre warp all your tracks, categorize and organize them and just fire them off as clips. You don't put together the whole set and just hit play.

I mean you're not supposed to be a juke box, unless you're talking about playing top40 clubs where people will want requests then I guess its easier to use Traktor or Serato

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Another option is simply buying the Traktor software (doesn't it come free now with the hardware, even an Audio2?) and building/copying a template for your APC40 to control it. That way at least you're learning part of the (IMO) more versatile DJ software, and you CAN drop tunes in on the fly as opposed to Ableton.

I had some friends over on the weekend to jam and talk events, and one guy used my APC40 with his Traktor laptop and was doing some seriously ridiculous poo poo.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Mr. BT posted:

Their sets include original productions and live remixes of their own music so something like Ableton works for them because they're producers. People pay money to see them play their own music.

For you, playing somebody else's music, they aren't always there to see you. You need to be able to program your sets to keep people interested as well as be able to change your set if you start to lose a crowd. It happens and I don't think Ableton gives you that kind of flexibility.

If you're playing with 100 other DJ's and your set is 30 minutes or less use Ableton...but if you're playing for longer use something else. Anything else. Except Virtual DJ because it's lovely.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Oh that reminds me, I've always wondered...

For a group like, say, Justice, when I go to see them "live", how much of it is just pre-programmed? Are they just hitting play and headbanging for an hour? They seem to be "doing stuff" but...what are they doing exactly?

I guess I'd have the same question after seeing Daft Punk. Amazing show, but is it just a pre-programmed set?

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

epswing posted:

For a group like, say, Justice, when I go to see them "live", how much of it is just pre-programmed? Are they just hitting play and headbanging for an hour? They seem to be "doing stuff" but...what are they doing exactly?

I guess I'd have the same question after seeing Daft Punk. Amazing show, but is it just a pre-programmed set?

Think it depends on the artist. Most of them areprobably mixing live at least and there's a good chance they're doing some on the fly remixing and such too, but then you also have people like David Guetta who supposedly just plays a prerecorded set and stands there pretending to fiddle with knobs and such.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

epswing posted:

Hard to know unless you have a clear view of them performing. In Daft Punk's case, they're in that giant pyramid

There was this semi-famous picture going around a while back of Justice performing, where one of the dudes is messing about with a MIDI controller that isn't plugged in to anything, so draw your own conclusions about that

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
I got a Numark Mixtrack Pro a few weeks ago and I've been playing with it to get the hang of things. I figured out how to route the queue audio to the headphones and the "master" to my home theater system. It's pretty fun!
Anyway, I've been trying out all the different DJ apps on my Macbook, and I'm really liking Virtual DJ because it has the little beat grid on top that makes it easy to sync 2 tracks. Are there any other apps that do something similar to that? I want to make sure I've really tried all the apps available before I buy a license.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Vidmaster posted:

but then you also have people like David Guetta who supposedly just plays a prerecorded set and stands there pretending to fiddle with knobs and such.
I saw Moby do this exact thing in 1993.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Alfajor posted:

I got a Numark Mixtrack Pro a few weeks ago and I've been playing with it to get the hang of things. I figured out how to route the queue audio to the headphones and the "master" to my home theater system. It's pretty fun!
Anyway, I've been trying out all the different DJ apps on my Macbook, and I'm really liking Virtual DJ because it has the little beat grid on top that makes it easy to sync 2 tracks. Are there any other apps that do something similar to that? I want to make sure I've really tried all the apps available before I buy a license.

http://serato.com/dj-intro

It's free, and it's essentially the same DJ software actual DJ's use.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

TheWevel posted:

http://serato.com/dj-intro

It's free, and it's essentially the same DJ software actual DJ's use.

I've tried Serato, but I don't see the little thing that shows the beat for both tracks anywhere. Am I missing it?

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

epswing posted:

I saw Justice a couple weeks ago, and some girls there said it was the exact same set from Coachella. I assume they have a pre-programmed set, and maybe they mess with filters, or swap out the encore songs, etc. Honestly it doesn't matter, because they made a room of 5000 people flip the gently caress out.

When you get to that level, the stakes are too high to screw things up, and once you have a 'perfect set' that you can tour on, it just makes sense to tour on that set. Like a comedian on tour, they're not going to try new material at every show, they'll probably do mostly pre-tested routines, and throw in a little something here and there.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Alfajor posted:

I've tried Serato, but I don't see the little thing that shows the beat for both tracks anywhere. Am I missing it?

It's in between the two white virtual decks in this screen shot. Or you could use the GIANT waveforms in the middle of the screen. Or your ears. :)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

TheWevel posted:

It's in between the two white virtual decks in this screen shot. Or you could use the GIANT waveforms in the middle of the screen. Or your ears. :)

I'm still a super noob, so that's why the Virtual DJ one seems easier to read for now. The waveforms are a bit overwhelming for now, and my ears work sometimes, but it really helps when I can visualize the beat split on 4.
Anyway, thanks for the picture! I'll have to try Serato again after a few more weeks of getting into this.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

epswing posted:

Daft Punk's set that debuted at Coachella '06 was prearranged with some freedom in how they used effects each show. They played basically the same set for over a year and a half (there were some minor tweaks made to the Coachella arrangement when they toured in 2007). While it was an amazing show, I have to admit I was a bit underwhelmed when I saw it after having heard the Coachella recording many times before.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

Alfajor posted:

and my ears work sometimes, but it really helps when I can visualize the beat

careful buddy

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

JohnnyMondo posted:

careful buddy

Seconding this. Put a piece of paper over your screen and work at mixing using your ears. If you develop being dependent on the visual cues to do your beatmatching it will be a *really* hard habit to break

This principle used to hold true back in the day with BPM counters too

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

That makes sense. Thanks for the tip! :)

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Vidmaster posted:

but then you also have people like David Guetta who supposedly just plays a prerecorded set and stands there pretending to fiddle with knobs and such.

It's definitely safe to say that David Guetta does his stuff live. Check out his really amazing five minute long build up of Levels he managed to use with that new Pioneer effects box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=LQ5zLdLSAFQ#t=615s

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

keevo posted:

It's definitely safe to say that David Guetta does his stuff live. Check out his really amazing five minute long build up of Levels he managed to use with that new Pioneer effects box.

Can we change the thread title to "SA DJs: Everyone stop playing levels already (cinema too)"?

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

keevo posted:

How old are you, seriously?

Anae
Apr 23, 2008
Good God, he played 10 minutes of Levels?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
David Guetta is our generation's Peter Frampton.

edit: I will say that the RMX1000 is a cool little device but I have exactly 0 use for it.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 10, 2012

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Spot on with the Frampton parallel.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
A DJ on another forum I'm on apparently got asked why he didn't include Levels in a megamix he did. So he did a new mix, here's the track list:

Seinfeld - I'm Building Levels
Levels Avicii
Calling vs. Levels (Shaltielo Mashup) Sebastien Ingrosso Ft. Alesso
Good Levels Feeling (Massivedrum vs ''sickindividuals Remix'' Bootleg) Flo-Rida vs Avicii
Levels ( US DRM Edit ) Avicii/www.djrobsonmichel.com
Levels (Alex Ramos 2012 Bootleg) Avicii
Levels (Allan Abdalla Remix 2012) Avicii
Levels Right On Time (Bkg Bootleg) Avicii vs. Syndicate Of Law
Avicii - Levels (Saradis Christmas Feeling Edit) Avicii
Levels (Sergi Moreno & Sack Muller Remix) Avicii
Levels Trackster (Rave Radio Bootleg) Avicii vs Miles Dyson
Best Of Levels (David Puentez Mash Bootique 2012) Avicii
Levels (John von Wh1te Mashup) Peter Luts vs. Avicii
Drifting Levels (Rudedog vs Felix Leiter Bootleg) Avicii vs Rudedog
DYNAMITE LEVELS (((POWER HOUR MASH-MIX))) Taio Cruz/Avicii/DJ DEVILLE
Hello Loca Levels vs. Lunar (Andrew G Monster Mashup) Avicii vs. D. Guetta & Afrojack vs. Sak Noel
Flash Levels (Marco Zanfardino 2012 ReDUB) Avicii & Clockwork vs Green Velvet & Nicky Romero vs A.M.R
Good Feeling (Levels Version) (Dark Intensity Remix) Flo Rida feat. Avicii
Good Feelin' Levels (Cloud Epic Rework Mashup) Avicii vs Flo Rida
Levels (Blaster & Smyle Remix) Avicii
Levels (Danilo Costa Instrumental Cover Edit) Avicii
Levels (Dirty Freek Remix) Avicii
I Just Wanna gently caress vs. Levels (Shaltielo Mashup) Avicii & Baltimore Club
Levels (Exclusive House Rework) DJ BeatBreaker / DJMAKJ / Avicii
Levels (Felix Leiter's Digital Bootleg) Avicii
Levels (Funk D Bootleg) Avicii
Levels (Good Feeling) (Gordon & Doyle Mashup) Avicii feat. Flo Rida
Levels (Hardwell Next Levels Bootleg) Avicii
Stereo Levels ( Chuckie Mash Up DRM ) Avicii
Sunshine Levels (Sndrz Bootleg) Avicii & David Guetta
Super Bass (Delirious Levels Mix) Clean DJ Delirious
Levels (Jao Miranda Version) Avicii
Levels (Jason Alamo Best Of Bootleg) Avicii, Hardwell, Skrillex, Cazzette, Clockwork
Levels (Kingz Dutch Anthem) Anthem Kingz
DWhere Them Levels At (Djs From Mars Mashup) David Guetta vs. Avicii
Levels (Matt Cox Remix) Aviici
Levels (Melody Crew Remix Edit) Avicii
Levels (Olav Basoski's Sunday Morning Mix) Avicii
Levels (Phillipe Boulevard Remix) Avicii Ft. Etta James
Levels (Rafa Carneiro Boom Edit 2012) Avicii
Levels (The Moogs Remix) Avicii
Levels (Tocadisco Mix) Avicii
Levels vs Levels 'clockwork Remix' (Del Pello Mashup) Avicii vs Etta Jones
Next Levels (TheFatRat Remix) Avicii
Show Me Levels (Michael B. & Denny Delano Bootleg) Steve Angello vs. Avicii
Give Me All Your Levels (Toy Armada Da Vicii Mash Up) Madonna vs. Avicii
Levels (E-Thunder Private) Avicii
Levels (Marlo Bootleg Remix) Avicii
Levels (Inexus Remix) Avicii
Levels (Tyr Remix) Avicii
Levels (Skrillex Remix) Avicii
Levels (Tiagoleiria 88bpm Remix) Avicii

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

epswing posted:

Even if not everything is pre-programmed a true electronic live-act is a dying concept in the laptop age. There are loads of live-acts around these days that do little more than tweaking some filters or rearrange some clips in Ableton and then call it a live-act. But then again this trick is about as old as commercial music. Promotors need a solid stage-act to sell their act's music, but good producers aren't necessarily good DJ's / Performers, so a 'live-act' is pretty much the only way they can get by. And everyone is buying it.

I'm glad to have seen Underworld, Orbital and Massive Attack perform LIVE when growing up (and into electronic music) and I can only feel sorry for the kids today that are tricked in to paying upwards of $50 to see some A&R conceptualized artist essentially play them a tape, masking the lack of musical creativity by a shitload of fireworks, lasers and projection mappings, making them believe that that's what it all about.

I'll take this over Deadmau5 any day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocjsJLfAG5M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

Sjoewe posted:

I'm glad to have seen Underworld, Orbital and Massive Attack perform LIVE when growing up (and into electronic music) and I can only feel sorry for the kids today that are tricked in to paying upwards of $50 to see some A&R conceptualized artist essentially play them a tape, masking the lack of musical creativity by a shitload of fireworks, lasers and projection mappings, making them believe that that's what it all about.

I'll take this over Deadmau5 any day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocjsJLfAG5M

I agree that it's cool to see live electronic music, but it's pretty ridiculous to claim that everyone else is being "fooled" into enjoying themselves. Plenty of rock bands play their songs the exact same way every show, and if you followed them on tour you might see a pretty drat identical set 2 nights in a row. That doesn't make the show any less fun for the audience.

Also, for me live music is mostly just about hearing music super loving loud. The biggest difference between seeing someone live and playing their album at home is mainly just how loving loud live music is. It commands your attention and doesn't allow room for anything else, and that's really what I'm paying for.