Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

CuddleChunks posted:

Onions, bell peppers, butter, salt, pepper.

Eat that right off the plate, burn your face with the grease, regret nothing.

^^ That, but in a torpedo roll.

Edit: dammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKEET SKEET
Jan 2, 2010
This is bulk sausage, not links, does that change your recommendation?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

SKEET SKEET posted:

This is bulk sausage, not links, does that change your recommendation?

Not really. You could also "stir-fry" it with chopped onions and peppers and eat over rice, or make a pasta sauce with hit.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

If you can get winter squash, loose Italian sausage is one of my favorite things to stuff squash with. Brown it in a pan with some onion and fresh sage, crack open your squash and scoop the seeds out, and fill that sucker with your sausage and onions, some fresh apple, and pine nuts. Bake until the squash is soft.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

SKEET SKEET posted:

I have a bunch of mild/sweet Italian sausage that needs to be cooked sometime soon. What is the most delicious thing possible that I could cook with it?

Sad but true, "Zuppa Toscana" is tasty and easy to make at home. Crumble and brown hot ital sausage and bacon/pancetta, sweat some onion and garlic, and add sliced potatoes. Add some oregano and enough water to submerge and simmer until potatoes are just starting to fall apart. Add milk and some kale that has been de-ribbed and chopped, bring to temp (don't let it boil though). Serve with fresh grated hard cheese like parm, romano, or grana and crusty bread.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

RazorBunny posted:

If you can get winter squash, loose Italian sausage is one of my favorite things to stuff squash with. Brown it in a pan with some onion and fresh sage, crack open your squash and scoop the seeds out, and fill that sucker with your sausage and onions, some fresh apple, and pine nuts. Bake until the squash is soft.

Holy poo poo, this is the next thing I'm cooking.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

Sad but true, "Zuppa Toscana" is tasty and easy to make at home. Crumble and brown hot ital sausage and bacon/pancetta, sweat some onion and garlic, and add sliced potatoes. Add some oregano and enough water to submerge and simmer until potatoes are just starting to fall apart. Add milk and some kale that has been de-ribbed and chopped, bring to temp (don't let it boil though). Serve with fresh grated hard cheese like parm, romano, or grana and crusty bread.

Don't forget the fennel seeds and red pepper flakes.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Holy poo poo, this is the next thing I'm cooking.

Delicata squash are really good for this because of their shape, you can get a lot of filling in. I also like to do it with small acorn squash and put the tops back on so it looks pretty.

You can also replace the apple with pieces of firm pear, and sometimes I throw in some dried cranberries too.

Here's a pic, I'm on my tablet and I can't make it stop being huge. This is pre-baking.

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010

Sjurygg posted:

Any good recipes for tom kha gai? I remember a thread a while ago but I can't find it.

Seconding this. I can't find that thread either :(.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I have a ~4 lb. boneless leg of lamb that I put on a roasting rack and left overnight in the fridge. To what temperature should I cook it (I like my lamb med-rare) internally, and to what temperature should I set the oven? Estimated cooking time?

Merou
Jul 23, 2005
mean green? :(

Can anyone recommend a book or website that gives relatively indepth information on how seasoning should work and such?

I think its time to admit I don't know what the hell I'm doing and just end up wasting my time wondering what I'm doing wrong. As long as it doesn't involve seasoning I can follow a recipe just fine, but when they start saying poo poo like add thyme I add some and I don't even know why or what its supposed to taste like if its done right or whats going on. The store could be selling me lawn clippings and I wouldn't know the difference.

Sometimes I get it, but it has to be really simple. Like a bit of salt sprinkled ontop of chocolate chip cookies. I get that. Seasoning a piece of meat I don't know what the gently caress is happening. The more seasoning the more confused I get.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Merou posted:

Can anyone recommend a book or website that gives relatively indepth information on how seasoning should work and such?

I think its time to admit I don't know what the hell I'm doing and just end up wasting my time wondering what I'm doing wrong. As long as it doesn't involve seasoning I can follow a recipe just fine, but when they start saying poo poo like add thyme I add some and I don't even know why or what its supposed to taste like if its done right or whats going on. The store could be selling me lawn clippings and I wouldn't know the difference.

Sometimes I get it, but it has to be really simple. Like a bit of salt sprinkled ontop of chocolate chip cookies. I get that. Seasoning a piece of meat I don't know what the gently caress is happening. The more seasoning the more confused I get.

I can't speak to books and websites, but what has been a big help to me is this: First, experimenting with various spices in different combinations. I have several staples that are always in my spice rack (Basil, Oregano, Thyme, Cayenne, Paprika, garlic powder, ginger, salt and pepper). One of the best things for me is to smell the herbs and spices and get a preview for what they smell like both alone and together. For this I'm very fortunate in that I have a spice shop just down the street from where I live. They have all of their spices in sealed packets for purchase, but they have sample jars filled with the spices so you can get a preview whiff before you buy.

My question to you though, if the recipe specifies a certain quantity of herb or spice, what's the problem? If a recipe calls for a Tablespoon of dried oregano, you put in a Tablespoon of Oregano. Done. If you're following a recipe, trust it to tell you how much of whatever to add and when. That's the point of a recipe. You can alter it if you like, but it's going to give you an acceptable product if you follow it (generally).

Unless you mean that when you're not using a recipe you don't know how to season foods. That's more understandable. Learning how to season from scratch is something that typically comes with time and experience. Salt and pepper go into or on almost everything; vegetables, meats, baked goods, sauces, eggs, batters...the list goes on. Other seasonings hit different notes, so you have to learn how they work together.

If you are completely clueless, give this a try:
Make a single batch of scrambled eggs (just 1 or 2 eggs) and put no seasoning on them what so ever.
Take a bite
Add some salt and pepper to a portion of the cooked eggs and taste that
Repeat with your other spices so you can get an idea of what these flavors taste like on their own. Also, you will quickly figure out how much is too much.

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 10, 2012

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Buy two steaks. Cook one with nothing on it. With the other, get a good pinch of salt onto both sides of the steak as well as several grinds of fresh ground black pepper. See the difference between the two.

Was the seasoned one too salty and the food was unpleasant? Or was the non-seasoned one not nearly as flavorful and enjoyable. My money is that the seasoned steak had a lot more flavor (and a much better crust on the outside).

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Also, don't be afraid to take a tiny pinch of whatever spice and give it a taste.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Note the price before doing this with saffron. :v:

BigLeafyTree
Oct 21, 2010

Cooking food unavoidably involves losing some (small?) nutrition loss right?
Is it at a level that I should worry about it, or is it something you just have to accept?
Googling has been a mix of hype for raw food diets and a lot of tables of what breaks down under what conditions, and I'm not sure what to make of it.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

BigLeafyTree posted:

Is it at a level that I should worry about it, or is it something you just have to accept?
Googling has been a mix of hype for raw food diets and a lot of tables of what breaks down under what conditions, and I'm not sure what to make of it.

You might want to google about the food groups and amounts you are supposed to eat of them on a daily basis, as those tables generally do not mean raw food. And then there's no reason to worry.

Also, if you make your food yourself often, and don't open packages and use your microwave to heat those packages every day (read: if you know what you eat), I wouldn't worry too much.

paraquat fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 10, 2012

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

BigLeafyTree posted:

Don't worry about it. The only nutrition loss that might occur is if you boil the gently caress out of every vegetable you touch.

Cooking actually tends to increase the nutritive value of most foods. It's one of the reasons we're human.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Prep takes a good amount out, though. Peeling carrots is the first thing that comes to mind.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Prep takes a good amount out, though. Peeling carrots is the first thing that comes to mind.

Cleaned well, you can leave them on. I leave my potato skins on for most things. You make a good point, but it's tangential to the idea of cooking itself.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

mediaphage posted:

Cooking actually tends to increase the nutritive value of most foods. It's one of the reasons we're human.

Spinach is a good example! Raw, it's just another leafy green, but once cooked a bit the nutritional value can actually be absorbed! Also, it takes even better.

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 10, 2012

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Bah, prep is half of cooking. If you're just talking about chemistry, though, sure.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

mediaphage posted:

Just +1-ing and expanding on this. There is much postulation in the scientific community that cooked food is what made us evolve. As mentioned, cooking actually makes the nutrients more biologically available (crack pot rawfoodist never talk about the physiology of nutrient absorption, they only talk about nutrients in whole foods which is moot because really it doesn't matter if your body can't absorb it efficiently). In addition, there is belief that early humans spend much of their day chewing because, well raw, pure food isn't exactly easy to eat. Because food is made softer and easier to chew, we spent less of our time and brain on chewing and more on developing skills and cognition. Even raw foodists rely heavily on food processors, blenders, and juicers.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Splizwarf posted:

Bah, prep is half of cooking. If you're just talking about chemistry, though, sure.

Except prep varies as much as your method of cooking. I'm not discounting it, I'm saying there are ways to maximize or minimize impacts.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Just +1-ing and expanding on this. There is much postulation in the scientific community that cooked food is what made us evolve. As mentioned, cooking actually makes the nutrients more biologically available (crack pot rawfoodist never talk about the physiology of nutrient absorption, they only talk about nutrients in whole foods which is moot because really it doesn't matter if your body can't absorb it efficiently). In addition, there is belief that early humans spend much of their day chewing because, well raw, pure food isn't exactly easy to eat. Because food is made softer and easier to chew, we spent less of our time and brain on chewing and more on developing skills and cognition. Even raw foodists rely heavily on food processors, blenders, and juicers.

Precisely, and this was exactly my point.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

On the topic of raw vs. cooking, is there a significant health benefit (or detriment) regarding raw or cooked oats?

I like to eat some raw steel cut oats with various nuts, seeds and dried fruit some mornings, especially on weekends before I go do something outdoors. I use raw oats for the taste and quick prep time, but I've heard many people espouse the virtues of raw oatmeal for health reasons. I usually ignore those people, but now after reading some of these posts, I'm wondering if I would be better served cooking the oats.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Good lord, don't raw steel cut oats break your teeth?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Voodoofly posted:

On the topic of raw vs. cooking, is there a significant health benefit (or detriment) regarding raw or cooked oats?

I like to eat some raw steel cut oats with various nuts, seeds and dried fruit some mornings, especially on weekends before I go do something outdoors. I use raw oats for the taste and quick prep time, but I've heard many people espouse the virtues of raw oatmeal for health reasons. I usually ignore those people, but now after reading some of these posts, I'm wondering if I would be better served cooking the oats.

Yes, you aren't going to get much nutrition out of raw oats, as compared to cooked oats.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Good lord, don't raw steel cut oats break your teeth?

They aren't so hard as that.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My friend has to cook a traditional norwegian dish for a college class. Any suggestions?

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
You should definitely cook your oatmeal. It will make it easier for your mouth to chew and your body to digest. More importantly cooking oatmeal makes it taste better.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mediaphage posted:

They aren't so hard as that.

I've never tried to eat them raw, although I did try to grind them up and that didn't work so well.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

My friend has to cook a traditional norwegian dish for a college class. Any suggestions?

I had a friend growing up whose grandmother was from Norway, and I helped his mom make krumkake a few times. Might be a little challenging if you don't have a krumkake iron, but they were a lot of fun to make and they're very tasty.

Kringle is really awesome too, if your friend wants to go the sweets route.

Lefse are very easy to make, and very versatile in terms of filling. Think crepe. Pick up some smoked or salted fish to go with them, great stuff.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

I should probably have said "not cooked" rather than raw - they aren't the true raw oats you get at specialty stores. I had never actually thought about whether raw or cooked was more nutritious. I started the raw oats, nuts and fruit when I was rehabbing from spinal surgery and wanted something that was easily portable, took no work, and wouldn't go bad if left in containers around the house. I just stuck with it after that as I started enjoying the taste, and it was easy to just pour a little bit into a bag as quick trailmix or something on the go. I rarely actually eat it when I'm sitting down at home.

That said, I guess I should look into just cooking it ahead of time for those early morning activities.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I've never tried to eat them raw, although I did try to grind them up and that didn't work so well.

A favourite treat of mine, though, is when we harvest oats around here and just eating the ripe grains right from the stalk. You bite through the hull and spit it out like a sunflower seed, but inside is a soft and tasty oat kernal that is the very flavour of autumn.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
I've had my spyderco sharpmaker for over a year now and it's starting to work less and less. Does this mean I need to replace my plates (I clean it regularly). What are other options I can use that don't require buying more poo poo every year that are reliable (wetstone?)?

Also question about my godamn stove. It's a rental so replacing isn't an option. Whenever I want to boil water it takes loving forever especially compared to what I'm used to on traditional coil (it's a gas). But whenever I want something very low, like simmering rice or another wet item it's too hot. I try to fix this by taking folded aluminum foil and making a heatshield, but are there any other more novel ways... Can I calibrate my stove or am I hosed.

HClChicken fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 10, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

HClChicken posted:

I've had my spyderco sharpmaker for over a year now and it's starting to work less and less. Does this mean I need to replace my plates (I clean it regularly). What are other options I can use that don't require buying more poo poo every year that are reliable (wetstone?)?

Get a good whetstone. I got this one as an ICSA prize and it is awesome: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/bester1200.html

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Sweet, savoury? Warm, cold? Little effort, much effort?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

HClChicken posted:

What's the advantage of this spyderco sharpmaker to an ordinary honing steel?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

paraquat posted:

One sharpens the other one hones. They are not the same thing.

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!

paraquat posted:

The sharpmaker is used for sharpening knives, rather than honing them. It's a completely foolproof way to take the dullest knife and make it shaving sharp in just a few minutes, and it doesn't completely destroy your blade like one of those drag through a V sharpeners.

If the stones seem like they're dulling and you run them through the dishwasher regularly, try rubbing them together to rough them back up a little bit. He recommends in the DVD that you do it when you first get them, maybe it'll help when they're all gunked up.

e:f,b.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Sjurygg posted:

Sweet, savoury? Warm, cold? Little effort, much effort?

1) Either, 2) either, 3) umm... up to intermediate level I guess?

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:39 on May 10, 2012