Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
The acid saliva is fairly well documented as being something Space Marines can do, although perhaps with varying degrees of potency. The way I remember it, the saliva is corrosive enough to eat through an iron bar in 10 minutes or something.

As for the sub-dermal armour, you might be referring to the Black Carapace, which is more of a neural interface than armour. I don't actually recall any references to actual armour.

edit: \/ Oh yeah, forgot about that one.

MaliciousOnion fucked around with this message at 03:25 on May 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

He might be referring to the ossmodula, which turns the ribcage into a giant armored structure. Deathwatch says it uses "ceramic-based chemicals" that the Marine eats to form the plates.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
Apparently Space Marines can survive in space without a helmet on.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Yoshimo posted:

yeah but they gotta hibernate if they are out there too long

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Yoshimo posted:

So can anyone.... briefly.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Yoshimo posted:

I wonder if they've come up with a pointless justification for it like the 'Sergeants have tiny refractor fields instead of helmets' thing.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Talkie Toaster posted:

I wonder if they've come up with a pointless justification for it like the 'Sergeants have tiny refractor fields instead of helmets' thing.

they have some organ that produces oxygen for them for a while I think

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

It's the Mucranoid, the one that lets them sweat weird temperature/vacuum-resistant goo on demand.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
It's been several years since I've read any SM fluff, so I wondered if they had toned down all the third lung, second heart, can eat anything, induce coma to regenerate wounds, suffers no bloodloss from lost limbs, and all the other crazyness. Because it's ridiculous and over the top. And par on course for 40k :D

So is there still an in universe explanation why Space Marines must be males?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lord Hypnostache posted:

It's been several years since I've read any SM fluff, so I wondered if they had toned down all the third lung, second heart, can eat anything, induce coma to regenerate wounds, suffers no bloodloss from lost limbs, and all the other crazyness. Because it's ridiculous and over the top. And par on course for 40k :D

So is there still an in universe explanation why Space Marines must be males?

1) No
2) Yes; the Emperor was a dude, hence the need for XY chromosomes. If you're Chaos, gender is a option. If you're Slaaneshi, it's a fetish.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Liesmith posted:

yeah autostabilized is just bulging biceps but it's attached to the weapon and not the firer

Auto-Stabilized is better than Bulging Biceps because it reduces a semi-auto/full auto attack to half action instead of full action as well as let you move and fire without penalty. Otherwise the Deathwatch suspensor weapon add-on would be useless since every Space Marine has Bulging Biceps by default. Bulging Biceps just lets you shoot without needing an extra action to brace your weapon beforehand to avoid massive penalties.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

MadDogMike posted:

Auto-Stabilized is better than Bulging Biceps because it reduces a semi-auto/full auto attack to half action instead of full action as well as let you move and fire without penalty. Otherwise the Deathwatch suspensor weapon add-on would be useless since every Space Marine has Bulging Biceps by default. Bulging Biceps just lets you shoot without needing an extra action to brace your weapon beforehand to avoid massive penalties.

Bulging Biceps also gives +20 to athletics tests to "Heft". Also, in Black Crusade semi-auto and full-auto actions are half actions anyway.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

It seems Dark Heresy isn't dead after all! FFG has just announced yet another supplement for it, The Lathe Worlds.

Looks like it will follow in the vein of Blood of Martyrs and Book of Judgement, expanding on the AdMech and forge worlds.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

This just in: The Lathe Worlds will be released as a new, standalone game instead.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

MadDogMike posted:

Right now I'm playing this Black crusade renegade with a knack for field acquired heavy weapons, Bulging biceps is the most helpful thing ever, I can actually fire in my first turn as opposed to waiting for the team's Khornate psyker to ruin everything with his force weapon.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

MaliciousOnion posted:

It seems Dark Heresy isn't dead after all! FFG has just announced yet another supplement for it, The Lathe Worlds.

Looks like it will follow in the vein of Blood of Martyrs and Book of Judgement, expanding on the AdMech and forge worlds.

If anyone notices a new impact crater on the Moon, pay it no mind. That's just my dick smashing through it :circlefap:

MaliciousOnion posted:

This just in: The Lathe Worlds will be released as a new, standalone game instead.

Where'd you hear this from? I'm not seeing it show up in the catalog.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 9, 2012

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I believe that is what we in the business call a jest.

Seriously thought more tech stuff is always fun to play around with.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Stormgale posted:

I believe that is what we in the business call a jest.

Oh, duh :shobon: But yeah, this can't come out fast enough- does FFG have seperate teams handling the game lines, or is it just one team?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Rigged Death Trap posted:

as opposed to waiting for the team's Khornate psyker to ruin everything with his force weapon.

Wait, this is possible? :raise:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Neo_Crimson posted:

Wait, this is possible? :raise:

SO long as he hasn't passed the alignment threshold he can, the moment you are aligned to Khorne your Psy rating is suppressed to 0

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
...So he's not Khornate?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

spacegoat posted:

...So he's not Khornate?

He pretty much acts the way. He has it in a delicate balance where he just one more Khorne advancement away from being aligned.

The GM found his efforts appeasing and granted him a pseudo-alignment. IIRC with a bylaw that restricts him using any power that doesnt enhance his melee prowess.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 9, 2012

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

spacegoat posted:

...So he's not Khornate?

Maybe he summons his powers by YELLING REALLY LOUDLY AND CHOPPING OFF HEADS IN GLORIOUS MELEE COMBAT AS A FOCUS?

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
My understanding was that what Khorne was against was people who didn't kill up close and personal, preferably with the most fountainy display of blood possible and that it wasn't psykers as a whole he was against, just the little pansies who sat in the back turning peoples' blood into acid or shooting lightning from their hands or whatever. Would Khorne really object to a psyker who used his powers to run faster and hit harder, thus enabling him to push a sword through your face?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

ItalicSquirrels posted:

My understanding was that what Khorne was against was people who didn't kill up close and personal, preferably with the most fountainy display of blood possible and that it wasn't psykers as a whole he was against, just the little pansies who sat in the back turning peoples' blood into acid or shooting lightning from their hands or whatever. Would Khorne really object to a psyker who used his powers to run faster and hit harder, thus enabling him to push a sword through your face?

Yes. Khorne loving HATES psykers. One of his names is "the Bane of Psykers". He also isn't known for being a reasonable guy. By the time you get around to saying, "No but you see I use my powers to-" your head toppling from your shoulders. If you want to run faster and hit harder, kill a million people and get the Mark of Khorne like a normal person.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 9, 2012

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Guys guys there's a precedence for this:

Blood Raven chapter master/librarian dedicated to Khorne.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens

Riso posted:

He had a pretty good plot as well, it was nice to see a Khornate villain with grand ambitions.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Riso posted:

He says he's devoted to Khorne but what are the odds he isn't full of poo poo? I'd say pretty low.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Liesmith posted:

He says he's devoted to Khorne but what are the odds he isn't full of poo poo? I'd say pretty low.

Yeah no loving way that guy gave a poo poo about Khorne.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

This is why Khorne hates psykers - they're always breaking his heart.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

MaliciousOnion posted:

Son of a bitch. I just know the Magos in my party is going to get even more retarded poo poo to install in people with his mind-control chips.

I'd ask when they're coming out with a splatbook for psykers, but I have a feeling FFG thinks they already have two - Radical's Handbook and Diciples of the Dark God :getin:

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

bbcisdabomb posted:

Son of a bitch. I just know the Magos in my party is going to get even more retarded poo poo to install in people with his mind-control chips.

I'd ask when they're coming out with a splatbook for psykers, but I have a feeling FFG thinks they already have two - Radical's Handbook and Diciples of the Dark God :getin:

It's also probably because DH psykers are Broken As Hell and literally every game that came after them (RT, DW, BC) used different rules from DH to make them less retardly powerful.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zikan posted:

It's also probably because DH psykers are Broken As Hell and literally every game that came after them (RT, DW, BC) used different rules from DH to make them less retardly powerful.

Agreed; my psyker is capable of mindwiping Greater Daemons and destroying small armies- all at the Fettered level. It's loving crazy, especially if you have Unnatural Willpower.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!
Making a psyker think he's a Khornate is probably like a rite of passage for a Lord of Change.

This is awesome and should be part of the plot.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hodgepodge posted:

Making a psyker think he's a Khornate is probably like a rite of passage for a Lord of Change.

This is awesome and should be part of the plot.

Which plot? There are countless plots. Plots within plots. False plots. True plots. Hidden plots... Deadly plots.

But don't get me wrong here. Everything was planned. This is just one of many endings none of which you survive in.

Have a nice day.

Oh don't mind me. Just practicing my Tzeenetchian betrayal speech for later.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Which plot? There are countless plots. Plots within plots. False plots. True plots. Hidden plots... Deadly plots.

But don't get me wrong here. Everything was planned. This is just one of many endings none of which you survive in.

Have a nice day.

Oh don't mind me. Just practicing my Tzeenetchian betrayal speech for later.

Oh. Your tales still have endings?

No, no. Do go on. This moment is so very precious to me.

As if anyone gets to have a better speech than the Slaaneshi :colbert:

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Oh you two, bickering like children.

Come in sit down and have a nice cup of recaff there is no need for such hostilities, while you two are busying yourselves life is passing you by.

Sit down, have a good drink and just take a break for once in your lives.

Nurgle is just gonna be over here, being oh so jolly

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Khorne - putting the 'laughter' in 'slaughter'.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Latest Deathwatch campaign is out. Looks like it might involve Tau and maybe Chaos/Necrons. I myself am kind of interested, but I don't usually play DW, and the $40 price tag is a little :gonk: inducing for my financial state atm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Another supplement coming out sometime in the future- The Navis Primer for RT, and I'm definitely getting this one, as it looks to be the 'Psyker's Handbook' for Rogue Trader. Did I mention it had Weirdboy rules?